Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Update on Star Citizen.

I always feel bad when I talk to people who are invested in this flaming garbage heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Why does it have a stock

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
What suit is the fifth ace

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

loving lol. Goes to show all world building first, story second efforts tend to be highly derivative to the point of plagiarism.

They didn't build poo poo.

E: I mean, I guess I do go story-first, world-second, but speaking as someone who puts a lot of thought into my worlds, they didn't build poo poo.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Oct 11, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommunistPancake posted:

if you like idubbbz you are probably literally 14 years old

I love it when people feel some weird-rear end need to get really angry about other people liking things

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

with such contributions to internet culture like this, how can you dislike him?

Hold on guys this horse is still breathin' better keep beatin' it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

OldMemes posted:

Unless you are a DJ or an extra in a sci fic movie, you probably don't need screens in your clothes.

They don't need to fit either, or be attractive. Hell, just go out in a blanket, anyone who criticises you is just a pawn of Big Pants.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cicadas! posted:

actual brand icons like Mr. Clean, the Hawaiian Punch guy, and Charlie the tuna. MULTIPLE REAL companies lent this insane shitshow the faces and likenesses of their product in a business decision I can only describe as baffling.

From the looks of things this was the first movie in history to use inverse product placement. "Pay up and let us use your mascot, or we'll put in a horrific and incompetent parody version!"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

Yeah I imagine somebody who thinks "guy who says racist stuff but it's quiet" is a great thing to watch, would have a hard time understanding what's going on.

Holy poo poo Fishmech I thought you, of all loving goons, knew what context was.

The "unsuspecting woman" in the video is a major youtuber and professional liar who has multiple public videos where she uses the phrase "dumb friend of the family" and then later on she tried to claim that she didn't understand that it was racist to say that.

So he drops by one of her public meet-and-greets, and sees if she'll say it again, while wearing the poo poo-eatingest grin he possibly can. She has multiple avenues of response- call him out for being a dick, which would have utterly wrecked him; say it, which would have been bad; or panic to a frankly unwarranted degree and then tell obvious and disprovable lies about the events afterward, which is what she chose.

Idubbbz is a persona with a long history; a lot of jokes have origin stories that go months back, if not further, and if you take what he says at face value you're probably not his audience.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

wit posted:

This is made by the more than aptly named Passive Aggressive Vegan.

"Playful" vegans sound like a laugh riot. Also the idea that meat is disguised is pretty fuckin' naive. Like, do they think that a rump steak isn't obviously animal butt? It's right there in the name guys.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Except you don't need to buy anything. All you need to do to get kickbacks is to hand out a code. So you're better off not buying anything, just directly selling, which is gonna kill the network system that makes MLMs survive. It's gig economy marketing.

It's substantially dumber and less effective than a pyramid scheme with all the same drawbacks.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

where does enrique get all the time to do his chores?

Lol if you ever consider the ramifications of the manifold talents possessed by your manservant Enrique

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elderbean posted:

Another terrible looking RPG that's probably 100% 3D clipart.

Exzore: The Rising

You are making a big RPG, how the gently caress do you write this copy and not think "huh hold on this is a lovely loving plot and also it looks like it was written by a markov generator trained on cliches"

quote:

Damien Clive, the master Exzore has been betrayed by one of his own men, Devon Allmand. He gets stabbed twice by Devon himself in an ambush. He fails to save his king; to fulfil his primary duty as an Exzore Commander. Upon recovery, he emerges from the death bed and sets off on an adventure to reclaim his honour. He aims to take revenge on Devon and to retake the lost kingdom to hand it over to the rightful King. This is not a simple feat and Damien cannot do this alone! He has to find and regroup the banished Exzores and also get support from factions. During his adventure, he also uncovers the secrets of his ancestors to become a "Legendary Exzore".

That's our hero, ladies and gentlemen, and yes, he's a white dark-haired 30-something broody dad.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Please back my kickstarter for three seashells

For 12 million will you add a fourth seashell as a stretch goal?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Elysiume posted:

Why even have a picture of a guy putting it in his pocket if it looks that loving dumb?

New from OYO Fitness: The Travel Sledgehammer. A full sledgehammer, the tip of the handle can technically be tucked into one's pocket. Never look for a sledgehammer again!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Only I can save gaming. With my innovative cynical teen protagonist Lilith/Azeroth.

Who is secretly a thousand years old and is definitely not a Mary Sue no matter what Becky thinks

This is why I'm so grateful for my terrible little writing group, I got through my first major creative endeavour in a space where it was safely contained and isolated from any audience for long enough that I could look at it and see the teen wish fulfillment angst before I thought about sharing it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I believe the term you're looking for is practical kabbalah

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kharmakazy posted:

Most people are stupid, disabled people are a subset of people, many disabled people are stupid.

There is nothing "ableist" about suggesting it's a bad idea to make it easier to start fires for people categorically unable to extinguish them. Just from a legal standpoint, if you market it that way you are going to lose your shirt in the inevitable lawsuits, marketing fire to people who can't possibly put it out.

A take so spicy I want to extinguish its source

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kharmakazy posted:

Personal insults aside, I never said "disabled people can't use fire extinguishers" because that would be silly. If you want to rail on me, I'm fine with that I would just prefer it be based on the merit of what I actually said. That said, I can see this is becoming a massive derail so you win, I'll just STFU.

Kharmakazy posted:

it's a bad idea to make it easier to start fires for people categorically unable to extinguish them

Hey guys he's right, he didn't say that disabled people can't use fire extinguishers, he said that disabled people are categorically unable to extinguish fires.

I'm guessing he's categorically unable to let this little observation go by without comment, though.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This is it fellas. The best chart on the internet.

Finally a product for the "mmnnngeh?" in all of us. That centre square is bone city, population you and your significant other you aren't sure how to arouse anymore.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh okay so it's just passive-aggressive.

*glares across the room at their SO, audibly smacking the button every five minutes*

There is literally no relationship this will help

gently caress, just make it a goddamned app if you have to make it, it'd be so much simpler

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'll have you know it helped the inventors' immensely, as per their video.

there HAS to be.

think Ryan, think

... That's when my favourite words came to mind. "Proprietary hardware with steel housing and a grippy urethane gel pad."

Somfin has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Feb 12, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

InsertPotPun posted:

Guys only five more days to save one of the most important Kickstarters ever

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512239437/remote-control-wand
The goal is for $30,000. Doing the research on getting a new product from idea, to prototype, to production and distribution requires capital. I am past the idea and prototype phases. The most expensive parts are yet to come: production and distribution. In order to protect the idea, I need to hire a patent attorney to submit the paperwork and to keep on retainer to protect the idea. That is about $10,000.

Moe Szyslak finally moved on from guns

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

chi bullshit

"So you could take one of your pouches and plant it and it would grow?"

"Don't be a loving moron."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Games are real hard. The animation for a game like this is insanely hard. I think it looks good and wish the indie devs the best, I don't think they remotely deserve all the poo poo they're getting.

Like if you aren't interested cool, there's a billion indie games out there most people aren't interested in? But people are acting like they've committed a sin and must be destroyed for it. :sigh:

IDK its got a unique setting and looks like they're probably gonna change up the gameplay a bit. Shmups tend to be very similar.

That's not remotely fair. It looks insanely polished, actually?

Nobody complains about Gradius being a shovelware knockoff of R-type...

The main issue is that there doesn't look to be anything in there that isn't already in Cuphead but Cuphead did it better. It's a two-player run-and-gun platformer co-op game, focused on ~zany bullshit~ multistage transforming bosses but without the rest of the frame-by-frame hand-drawn aesthetic that was painstakingly implemented to justify them, the same jump arcs and shooting pace and enemies that don't react, hell the player characters have identical proportions to Cuphead and Mugman and do almost exactly the same actions- a big slow flip for a main jump, a one-handed magical plink for their main weapon, long-term charge-ups for slightly underwhelming special attacks. The only new thing looks to be a shield that can cancel enemy attacks, you know, just like the counter jump but worse.

The plot, as far as it's been revealed in the trailer, is basically the same as well- mischeivous young player characters overestimate themselves, get greedy, overreach, get in too deep and now need to kill a bunch of things in order to get back out. But hey you have to save a cat in this one that's probably different enough.

The flip animation is the part that's weirding me out- that looks to be a frame-by-frame copy of the Cuphead jump, but the rest of the game seems to be built around a tweening system that takes a lot of the work off the animators.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but its also just a pitch, they are trying to launch a kickstarter to fund making the game, so... that's kinda an inherent challenge with not having made the game yet.

I'm not saying its gonna be amazing but I don't think it deserves some of the hate its getting. Almost all games copy game design liberally from other games, some of them copy style too.

Any game worth making has at least one unique selling point that can be put front and centre. The pitch has to center on that unique selling point. If it turns out that Enchanted Portals has some sort of weapon crafting system that lets you build your own spells, or whatever, that should have been front and centre of the pitch.

To use an example, OverDungeon is very explicitly a slightly worse Slay the Spire knockoff in terms of gameplay superstructure, but its unique selling point is its real-time combat elements and ability to almost handle the sheer quantity of minions and towers and spells and cards and other bullshit that you're able to push onto the field. Its trailer focuses almost exclusively on the latter while quietly moving past the former- there's a little moment where the trailer player's abuse of a multiplying card causes the framerate to stutter; to me that reads less as a fail state and more as a "the system is too big for the engine lol" selling point.

Cuphead's animation style is one thing, its gameplay is a second thing, its plot is a third thing and its game structure is a fourth thing, and Portals looks like it's slapped a coat of paint on two of them and put them all back out with minimal adjustments. Games copy all the time, sure, but they usually have the sense to copy only one or two things from any specific game at a time.

Shovel Knight famously ripped a whole bunch of stuff from a wide variety of old games, but it hit so many simultaneously that it comes out like a fresh and vibrant remix of things you liked rather than drawing too many comparisons to any single game that you really like. It also, critically, avoided taking too many cues from any particular game's visual style. There are a lot of old cartoons that Cuphead drew from and using other artists from the same era or, hey, why not a different era, would have suited Portals better than basically just jacking Cuphead's style.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I can understand your view, but you can agree most games produced don't actually meet this standard, right? Madden 20 has no unique selling point. But it'll make millions.

Madden 20 has the USP of being the heir to that legacy of development, with a modern player roster and, with almost worrying uniformity, some new mechanic that gets hyped up in the trailers, even if it's a minor improvement. Did you check this before you used it as an example? Do you buy into the bullshit about sports games not being real video games? Wouldn't you say that people work hard on those, too?

Zaphod42 posted:

Fortnite is literally just Epic knocking off Player Unknown's Battlegrounds after it became popular, and everybody just jumped over to Fortnite without calling it criminal theft.

Fortnite seems to play a bit better (I haven't played either yet) and I doubt there's any way this will ever be as popular as Cuphead.
But I don't think that means that it sucks, or is immoral. Its a couple of indie devs who are trying to make something that takes advantage of their animation talent and appeal to an existing audience.

Fortnite is PUBG with a wild new kid-friendly aesthetic and drastic playability upgrades. It actually feels like a game to play. This looks like it's exactly the same gameplay as Cuphead, but slower, and with less to do. This is not what a trailer should show off.

Zaphod42 posted:

We haven't seen levels, much less an overworld, so this seems like a massive exaggeration? Feels like they may just do boss rush, which was the original design of cuphead but they ended up adding levels and and overworld.

There also wasn't any parrying or jumping on projectiles in the trailer, which are both cruxes of Cuphead's gameplay, so... IDK. I think people are being harsh.

So, it's Cuphead's core but without a bunch of other stuff in Cuphead, some of which was the main gameplay gimmick that made Cuphead's bosses fun (the parry jump mechanic), some of which Cuphead also added in later.

It's not an exaggeration to say that this game very clearly has level-scale bosses that tank hits like nobody's business, that transform into new bodies with different attack patterns, and that those bosses are the primary thing they showed in the trailer. This is the gameplay structure of Cuphead. The superstructure of how the levels are arranged is unimportant; the main thing you'll be doing in the game is jumping on platforms and shooting at bosses and dodging their massive, telegraphed attacks. Same as Cuphead.

The question is, why should I pay money for this when I've already paid money for Cuphead? What is this giving me beyond the equivalent of a worse-produced level pack? That's a question that the trailer should be answering in the first maybe fifteen seconds.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Someone tracing a high-effort ripoff is almost exactly what we're talking about here

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

People have spent 25 years crowing about how Disney were thieves for making a movie with the totally unique concept of "talking lion prince who goes on adventures with his animal friends", by comparison Cuphead being literally a clone of an extrant genre just with a very polished anachronistic art style is grand larceny.

You should check that article yo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

It just seems to be getting unfair vitriol when worse things exist and nobody even seems to complain about those. It just feels weird.

Ah yes, but don't you see that this applies to you too? Bad things exist, why are you discussing the current topic when you could be commenting on those? Because it's the current topic and it's interesting to hear other sides on it.

It'd be nice if the other side wasn't "it's probably not fine but I feel bad about badmouthing it for undisclosed reasons" but y'know, that's up to you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda hypocritical given Cuphead is pretty openly based other games, Gunstar Heroes probably a primary influence for the core gameplay and weapon styles as well as a bunch of bosses, as well as Parodius and Mega Man being obvious influences for other ones. Games have been ripping off each other since the start. Remember when shooters were all 'Doom clones'? And of course the whole art style is explicitly and openly derivative in the first place.

Yeah, "influences." As opposed to direct cloning, which is what Portals is.

Like I said before, Shovel Knight draws on an absolute shitton of influences, but it's careful with them and smart enough not to let any single one be the most obvious flavour. Good games pull from lots of places and end up richer than the sum of their parts.

Zaphod42 posted:

Lion king though?

What are you actually trying to say here? Because there's a few ways to take this.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

I didn't say you can't talk about it? "This doesn't look as good as cuphead" is a perfectly fair view. "This is theft' is what I take issue with.

Zaphod42 posted:

worse things exist and nobody even seems to complain about those

This feels like a request to change the topic, or a complaint that the topic is currently being discussed. I'm sorry if that's not what you meant, but when people say these words, that's usually what they mean.

The game deserves the robust discussion it's getting. It blew up, people are talking about it, and the game is very clearly targeting the same audience as Cuphead, with the same game design as Cuphead, but with different art assets. If Cuphead has managed to pull off the Dark Souls magic and created a subgenre of its own, that's worth noticing; if this is a bunch of folks wholesale ripping the entire core gameplay loop and art style and plot setup and mechanics from an existing game and presenting it as if it was their own, then that's also worth noticing. It's entirely possible that they'll pull it off and make a drat good game and when they do we'll all have heard about it partially because of this; it's also possible they were hoping to slip under the radar and not be noticed. We don't know.

Zaphod42 posted:

...what? I"m not sure I even know how to parse this, but it feels ultra passive aggresive...

It'd be nice if we could talk about games without mocking each other :(

I just don't understand why you're going to bat for this game so hard and suggesting that everyone else is fine with plagiarism:

Zaphod42 posted:

Lion king though?

Or like, Aladdin is a direct knockoff of thief and cobbler.
It happens a lot still. Multiple makes it less obvious, sure.

When we're not. We're not okay with it, and that's why we're trying to figure out if this game crosses a line or not. Games are weird and mechanics and code can't actually be copyrighted (and shouldn't be!) so there's a vast grey area when it comes to games being clones of other games with a fresh coat of paint, and this is about as close as any game's ever gotten to just being another game while also generating this much original art to pull it off.

Like, Ashen is very very clearly a Dark Souls knockoff. But it's a full different art style and has just enough mechanical differences that while people say it's quite a bit like Dark Souls, they would never say it's the same game.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Shmups are all the same with basically zero variation

lol what the gently caress is this bullshit garbage

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hub Cat posted:

Here how about an artisanal digital grocery store revolutionizing the way you do grocery shopping?

"Everything you buy -- like you've never seen before.

We make elevated daily staples. And we cut out everything that doesn't matter- the competing brands, the price tiers and the niche, one-off products. The average supermarket sells 50,000 products. We cap ourselves at 500.

By focusing on fewer products, we're able to make them amazing and affordable. Imagine the best cheddar you'll ever have - not some obscure cheese from the corner of the supermarket. Think the best ribeye steak you'll ever taste - not some throwaway cut that you'd never try. "

Just going to get the Repo Man reference out of the way right here

I can't see how they are possibly doing 50 state 2 day shipping 30% cheaper on everything 100% self sourcing best quality products paying their producers double and 15$ an hour for their employees(which California where they are based is already moving to so not really that great buddy) and not collapsing under their own costs within months.

Also that gif is really aiming for the "foods that people rarely buy" market

Like gently caress my staples are poo poo like bulk potatoes and beans and cabbages y'all, I don't know the last time I've desperately needed matcha chocolate

Jesus they are super loving into matcha

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shopmove/move-a-brand-new-supermarket/faqs

Reminds me super strongly of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeAJ9U5nbVQ

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Aramoro posted:

Also Biltong =/= Jerky, you can't have Biltong Jerky, that makes no sense.

South African Biltong Inspired Flavouring-Infused Beef Jerky would be too honest

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sweevo posted:

The whole Thief and the Cobbler saga is hilarious because the creator literally spent 30 years pissing away other people's money on a project with no real goal or direction. He kept changing his mind constantly and ended up with a piece of poo poo nobody wanted to watch. He would absolutely be begging for money on Kickstarter if it were being made today.

Cobbler Citizen

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Weird, they'd probably hit their target demo way harder if they were just offering bulk shampoo powder that mixes into a gel by hand, like, in a rustic bowl or some poo poo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

klafbang posted:

But then where is the DRM?

They haven't posted screenshots from their app.

The bowl is coated in a proprietary chemical compound that kills the live cultures of proprietary flesh-eating bacteria that give the soap its unique chi signature

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Running!

Great, a toy that can simulate having an arthritic elderly cat! And the battery lasts 3-6 hours, so your elderly robo cat can die in your arms multiple times a day. Fun!

Isn't "run" defined as having 0 points of contact with the ground at some point during the movement? Like, there was a massive deal a while back when one of the robotics companies finally built something that could actually run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Qwertycoatl posted:

For $500 you get to enter a contest where you and other $500 donors get to compete to design the car for him

And the people voting on the contest are all fellow rubes