Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meatwave posted:

Can someone explain what is this $9 computer on kickstarter that's been blowing up and is it bullshit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer/video_share

Why does this kickstarter talk to me like I'm in fuckin Kindergarten.

"This is a computer... it DOES things!! If you have this computer, you can do things! This computer is VEEEERRY small! :buddy:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Volcott posted:

Is there a thread for not-awful kickstarters? I kinda want to see if anyone else gave Dracula money.

There are no not-awful Kickstarters, so no.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CJacobs posted:

There are no not-awful Kickstarters

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There is a Kickstarter videogames thread in Games but don't go there because it's full of idiots throwing their money away at failing projects or things that don't and never did need their money in the first place

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

everythingWasBees posted:

the only argument you can make is "lol kickstarter" and "game bad".

Conveniently, that's the only argument I personally would try to make, so I'm glad I have your approval that it is in fact a valid argument, forums user everythingWasBees

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

stillvisions posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/588524252/electric-motor-surfing-board-waterblade/

For only 1600 dollars you can sorta move forward while standing awkwardly on a floating thing. With lots of camera cuts so you can't see it barely moving.

From the thumbnail I assumed it was like, you stood on it facing with your leg propped up like the Captain Morgan logo and that moved you. Until I saw how you ACTUALLY move with it I was totally on board with it because that sounds hilarious/stupid instead of just stupid/stupid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xandu posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1969040824/paddle-cross-new-game-on-the-lake?ref=discovery

That's just water sports, there's also tons of rollerblading/skateboarding "innovations"

Lol this one is hilariously sad. They got 20 dollars and then the maker cancelled the project the day before it would've ended just so he could stop it before it changed to "unsuccessful".

let'S go thos is going to work.

edit: Haha if you look at his project history, he actually tried the exact same project but with 20,000 more dollars required for funding a month prior. This one has great backing tiers.

quote:

Donation for the humanitarian side of the project. Kid's say thank you and a big Yeahhh, Yeahhh.
Love you so much

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 27, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That really is one of the worst kinds of people. People who are kind to others only because it will make them popular, and not because being kind to people is how a human being acts toward fellow human beings which does not intrinsically deserve reward.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:59 on May 31, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone in the comments on that vid said that Uwe Boll sounds like Tommy Wiseau from The Room and it's completely maddening because now that's all I can hear.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Paladinus posted:

Look at how not gay I am, while I slather my lips with this Dude Stick, which is in no way an euphemism for penis.

If you say it out loud it kinda sounds like you're saying "dude's dick"... I dunno if they thought the name through all the way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Gentleman's Single-Use Monocle.

5,093 backers pledged $127,155 to help bring this project to life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flosofl posted:

There's a hell of lot more steampunk nerds than I thought, but I don't get what's so "awful kickstarter" about it. It seems like a straight forward, somewhat amusing novelty item. Unless this is a "I don't like steampunks, so they aren't allowed to have any fun" situation.

When would you need a disposable monocle. Even for a joke.

The entire premise is "I need to make a joke about being sophisticated but just making a monocle motion with my hand is not enough. If only I had a one-time use monocle." The times where any given human being will say this is precisely 0. Sure, this incredibly niche thing is definitely worth 125,000 dollars of investments.

edit: rephrased

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ErIog posted:

You don't understand! Other people are spending money in a way I don't agree with for a joke I don't think is funny! This makes me very angry, and the world must know of my anger. It's obviously a scam, you see, because I disagree with the joke and necessity of the product. If I agreed with it then it would be legitimate, but I disapprove! Therefore, I must register my disapproval for these commercial ventures in the SomethingAwful.com Forums where I have paid :10bux:.

I'm totally not jealous that I haven't created a product other people want to buy for that kind of money. Definitely not jealous, and I could totally do it myself. I am an upstanding paragon of virtue, though, and therefore I will not. I am not jealous. Not at all.

Project harder you petulant rear end in a top hat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gently caress brooklyn worst part of the worst city in the worst state in the worst region of the worst country in the world.

Fakepost all you want, this is completely true.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

muh muh. . . muhmuhmuh. . . mmmmMMMMOOOOOOOODS?! Someone in GBS thinks something ISN'T awful! Quick, throw them into space, before the sickness spreads to the other haters.

No but seriously some of y'all are seriously loving overreacting here, just chill and laugh at how nerds fritter away their ill-gotten venture funds.

:irony:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spaced God posted:

For generations to come, one of the great family heirlooms will be a lovely keyboard in wood for some reason

Of course the guy who made this hipster "I refuse to type like a normal human just because" poo poo looks like this

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smart phone touch screens work like poo poo though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

how me a frog posted:

Mechanical keyboards are hella sweet what are you even talking about

Why? Tell me why. Everyone who owns a mechanical keyboard says "oh yeah dude they're great" with no justification and I bought one a long while back despite this and I just cannot see the benefits of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

stringball posted:

You really have to type on one and game with it for a few hours before you see the real appeal

It just feels good, the keys are easy and fast to push and doesn't use lovely rubber pressure to register a key

I have the das loud keyboard I bought 4-5 years ago and as the other guy said it works amazingly well still

I have a Logitech G710+ and the only reason I'm using it still is because I'm too stubborn to say "this isn't for me" and get rid of it because I paid like 75 dollars for it. The raised keys cause me to miss keystrokes and brush over keys I otherwise wouldn't hit. I've had this thing for months and I still don't like it any more than I liked my generic HP plain old desktop keyboard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine being such a smug fucker about your mechanical keyboard that you buy earplugs from the manufacturer's website and give them to people around you who are annoyed by your 140 dollar purchase. Das Keyboard should do a kickstarter so I can make fun of them in this thread.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mortimer posted:

Either you don't type enough or your dumb fingers are broken or both.

g710's have weird cherry blues which I don't enjoy. Try other switches and see if you like them better. Also lol $75 for a keyboard :shepspends: that's bargain/dumpster/trash heap bin for mechanicals if you're buying a brand like logitech

You sure showed me, the guy who didn't spend between 1-200 dollars on a keyboard, what's what.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXOkGvZNaI

Sonic's got you covered.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh... no...?

And they're still accepting people's money via the kickstarter even though they don't need any of it anymore, so yes, oh no

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ErIog posted:

Listen, CJacobs is the god-king emperor decider person about how other people should spend their money, and this is bad! You can't like, question it, man. There's a project, and CJacobs doesn't like that project so therefore it's a bad Kickstarter. Same goes for all the other products CJacobs doesn't buy. If they were good things then CJacobs would purchase them, but CJacobs does not purchase them so therefore they are not good. CJacobs never wastes money on frivolities themselves.

Also, we all know that publishers provide infinite funding for games so therefore there's no reason a developer would ever see a need for having more resources to work on the project they want to work on. That's just sound logic, and like I said, CJacobs kind of calls the shots on this, so I hope that helps.

Hahaha

edit:

ErIog posted:

It's absurd, isn't it! It's almost like I wasn't being 100% serious!

Hahaha ha haha ha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How much did you pledge to Red Ash, Erlog

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah you totally weren't being 100% serious, for sure

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TetsuoTW posted:

b-b-b-but it was made by a man from one of The Wrong Websites!

Will you just shut up already jesus christ, go make a thread about tenderly loving kickstarters if this thread's existence really bothers you that much

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think what Caphi means is less that it is weird that they said that the game has Dark Souls-style combat, and more that they said that as if they already know that's what people want out of it. Their explanation of the combat is less "it's like Dark Souls, which could be what you are looking for from this" and more "it's like Dark Souls, which totally is what you are looking for from this!" It's just a little phrasing difference is all.

edit: beat by almost an hour by the poster themselves, i should remember to refresh every once in a while

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ce gars posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/saent-be-less-distracted#/story

If you need an actual physical button sitting beside you that forcibly makes you work instead of just closing facebook yourself, I don't know what to tell you.
And yes, it's flexible funding.

"Lock yourself out of distractions" applications and products are pretty pointless. You can't force willpower. If someone wants to browse Facebook or whatever and they have this thing on, they will turn it off and browse Facebook. It just adds an extra step to getting TO the distractions, a step which is unnecessary because the only step you should even need in the first place is "just don't go on Facebook".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Groovelord Neato posted:

cuban is incredibly dumb

As someone who likes the US Shark Tank, this is pretty much all you needed to say. Mark Cuban is that guy you see who knows and loves that he is on a TV show and the attention he gets from it turns him into an rear end in a top hat (because I guess owning the Dallas Mavs and yelling angrily at someone famous every 10 minutes is not enough for him). Even Kevin O'Leary, the shrewd dude the show tries to make look like the bad guy everyone hates, is less of an rear end in a top hat sometimes than Mark Cuban. And that takes effort.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I maintain that the entire reason Moleskine is popular is because it allows you to put a brand name before your pocketbook/notebook etc. When you are a stupid hipster and have a notebook that is made by Moleskine, you 100% call it "my Moleskine notebook" instead of "my notebook" as you would one made by Mead or other various paper companies.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

klafbang posted:

"Who is this for? Hipsters." They are quite honest about it.

"klokers creations are designed for creative, free-thinking men and women who want to express their individuality."

"...uh as long as you're white and in your mid 20s in a first-world nation, i mean"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pugz/pugz-worlds-smallest-wireless-earbuds-you-charge-w?ref=fundedtoday

Not the worst idea in the world, although the video is kinda :wtf:

But what really bothered me was the line

A squircle? Really? Also check your punctuation there guys.

Wireless earbuds that have several wires. Cool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruvelo/bruvelo-simplify-and-elevate-your-coffee?ref=category

This dude has an idea for a coffee maker that you can turn into real life coffee makers for only just short of a million goddamn dollars!

He had this idea before and the project was an overwhelming success but, as he says in the video,

150 thousand dollars just isn't enough to make this coffee maker thing happen. So now he needs almost ten times that amount! Because reasons!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Sep 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

theflyingorc posted:

The problem is that people assume every product is going to be the one they picture in their heads.

What they THINK it is - a razor that will quickly, efficiently shave your face using lasers that won't hurt you - would be totally awesome. What they're getting is the slowest shave in the universe.

Kickstarter is pretty much the advertisements at the back of a 60s comic book that would try to sell you x-ray glasses and sea monkeys and poo poo, but modernized for the internet age.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skyridge posted:

Courtesy of retsupurae, there's this abomination. There aren't enough pysducks alive to express how :psyduck: this thing is.

Incredible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That they only say "girls" and never, ever say "women" is incredibly telling of the mindset of these people. I swear to god the only reason they say "girls" in the promo video is to avoid saying the pickup artist trademark of "females" and giving away their whole hand at once.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I meant pickup artists in general. But that guy is also especially creepy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/cicret.asp

The Cicret somehow actually does exist. It's just that, uh, right now in its current stage it looks like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuLwPZrOH5Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Indie Gogo is just Kickstarter with that, but also the ability to change your funding goal at any time so you keep all the money you rake in even if you don't meet your initial goal. It's like Kickstarter but somehow even more shifty.