Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of Batman Odyssey, which was written by a Hollow Earth believer that incorporated it into the story. It was also amazingly bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

I know the one where Superman bombs a concert hall to stop Pat Boone singing a song Clark Kent wrote about Superman where the first letter of each line spells "Clark Kent." Just turning Jimmy into a woman to seduce someone seems far too subtle for Superman.

Jimmy cross-dresses of his own accord anyway.

Batman Odyssey also has a lot of shirtless Bruce Wayne rambling at you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I actually liked Automata, but it's one of those projects where I think they had about two or three good ideas and the rest is going to get stupid quick.

And the robots manage to look more human than the supposed humans do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From reading the bizarre China thread in GBS, a lot of Chinese people seem to be under the impression they literally can't survive without Chinese food, or something along those lines. Basically all-round awful education in health and food hygiene combined with ignorance and paranoia about foreign countries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was expecting a weird Banjo-Kazooie sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jolo posted:

This probably has appeal for some older folks who want fresh ground salt/pepper but don't want to aggravate their finger bones squeezing and turning to grind the stuff.

I think this came up in another thread, a lot of products and services coming out of the tech bubble madness actually do have genuine use cases for the disabled and frail, though that's not usually how they're marketed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ever since electricity was invented people have been zapping themselves with it hoping it'll basically give them superpowers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, one soylent guzzler even said it was cheaper, but at the time buying ensure by the case from amazon was cheaper per serving than soylent. So even if you never wanted to leave your house and just have monthly supplies of nutrition slurry delivered to you, soylent was not the best option. lol

Also soylent tends to be rotten and/or full of mercury.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They already have tiny one-person sleeping tents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What happened to a good old fashioned pillow fort?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, when I first heard about it I figured it was probably just some crazy catlady types overreacting and then I saw the actual pictures and :catstare:

It's like Meowschwitz in there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Isn't that what happened with fidget spinners? The original kickstarter got a lot of attention, then they hosed around while everybody else in the world flooded the market with legally distinct knockoffs and ate their lunch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eventually football players will all be in power armour.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brb, starting Goop for Dudes kickstarter

And also Goop for Ladies kickstarter

Stretch goal is Goop for Everyone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SpacePig posted:

Goop for Dudes sounds like some sort of all-purpose cream you'd find in some hipster shaving supply store. So start from there.

I was thinking more just general goop that doesn't pretend to be useful. Possibly with food colouring. Can be ordered by the can, tub or barrel and delivered to your door. Goop for you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Truga posted:

My grandpa had his will and documents in a "document box" he took home with him when ww2 ended. He died some 15 years ago, and we needed them. Naturally, both the lock and the key were rusty, and the lock failed. It was a tiny safe, just large enough for a fat stack of letter sized papers on the inside, but it weighed a loving ton, because the walls of it were like an inch thick. Took us 3 days to get that thing to open without destroying the papers inside :v: Many drill bits were ruined that weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjnJk5V9nSM sounds accurate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fun thing is the 360 controller had a mini-keyboard you could plug into the headset jack. (and it had another jack down the bottom for the actual headset). I actually used it a lot when I did play it, it's a good weight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Makes me want to check out Traditional Games for some crowdfunded heartbreakers and assorted insane nonsense role playing games. I have a soft spot for games that are so ridiculously complex it's hard to imagine people actually playing them. (then again, The Campaign For North Africa is a thing)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd say a board game anyone wants to play needs some playtesting, but then again half the board games everyone knows and owns two or three versions of. What you need is a marketing campaign.

I remember seeing an XCOM board game in Gametraders, they still do tie-ins. My uncle has an old Rex Hunt's Fishing Adventures board game, including fish trivia I argued with my dad about. (are sharks fish?)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Is this the AWESOME KICKSTARTERS thread?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coreywright/kartoffelkrieg-potato-wars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYai0krC_Ec

Get a potato
:siren: MAKE A GODDAMN MECH POTATO :siren:
Fight dem potatos
I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away.. I will not run away..

Funny thing is this is almost literally what the original Mr Potato Head was; plastic facial features with pins to stick into vegetables, and they only later started making bodies to go with them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Starbound probably burned a lot of people too. Massively crowdfunded and mismanaged to the point it's widely considered to have gotten actively worse since the beta.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Collateral Damage posted:

Starbound to me was just "Terraria with a different color palette, and the ability to go to another but similar map with a slightly different color palette."

Christ, I wish. Terraria got better, Starbound got worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This belongs on an infomercial.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Australia's government and public boards have a really weird puritan streak that the Australian public really couldn't give the slightest poo poo about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fishmech posted:

Last I checked Australians are literally required to vote, and they take that oppurtunity to re-elect all those guys. Clearly a majority is keeping those in power instead of dumping them as an embarrassmemt the way a lot of other countries have.

Most of the people behind censorship boards and whatever aren't elected in the slightest. In the few cases they are and attention is drawn to them, they don't last long.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SpacePig posted:

In an age where I'm seeing more and more posts about women wanting pants with pockets, it's pretty interesting to see a campaign for pants that remove even the illusion of pockets.

I'm reminded of the female Pokemon Black/White protagonist who basically wears cutoff jorts that are little more than pockets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Erotic Wakes posted:

And folks, why do they call them fingers when they don't fing?

Yours don't?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some people are poor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FoP is basically in its own little zombie simpsons world at this point. Funny thing they introduced a new character to try to change up the formula twice and then they just stopped showing up after a while both times when everyone hated them. One character was a magic dog, a literal Poochie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm pretty sure Hartman considers FOP a hell of his own making at this point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

value-brand cereal posted:

You'd think but nah. The phrase Consentacle has been around for a while now. I want to say all the homestcuk and night vale people popularized non rape tentacle rape themes in all the fanfics and poo poo since the hs and wtnv characters are supposedly non human.

Also I like how the consentacle human character looks young and seems coded to be barely legal. Wait no actually I don't like how.

Also this was supposed to be the woke and progressive tentacle sex card game that was promoted to displace the other icky tentacle sex card game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CollegeCop posted:

Here we go - A magical sticker that will: Reduce phone temperature, enable faster charging, extend battery life, and reduce harmful radiation! But wait, there's more! You can also use it to soften water and mellow alcoholic beverages!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1785690663/koolmex-longer-battery-lifelower-temperatureanti-r-0?ref=discovery

The secret? HQEET (Hall Quantum Energy Technology) has been applied to KoolMex energy sticker, releasing the discharge of the resonance to adjust the wave to achieve decomposition of electrolyte crystal, optimize, mobile phone signal field, so that the mobile phone operate more efficient.

Reminds me of when Peter Brock (or was it Brock Peter? I forget), Australian race car driver, ruined his reputation by insisting on a line of cars with literal magic crystals to improve performance.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I've actually been to Bathurst and been driven around it, iirc it's a bit infamous among the NASCAR-style racing popular in Australia for its difficulty, lots of tight corners and occasionally kangaroos hopping onto the track.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WebDog posted:

Project CARS features it. You can set it to be snowing.

fuckin lol

(for americano context, that's like setting a track in texas to be snowing)

Australians like our sporting events masochistic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh, well. New South Wales is funny like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not exactly hard to make a legally distinct Slenderman, most go with 'The Thin Man' or something along those lines. (the Supernatural episode comes to mind)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Slenderman is the shittiest folklore ever for that reason. It all traces back to some goon making a Photoshop with no pretense that it's a real thing. Like, with other cheesy folklore stuff there's always some rural weirdo that swears it's real and he's seen it and it makes it sort of fun. With Slenderman it's just like "Some guy made content for a thread. Even he knew it was bs" Super scary.

Basically the same problem as with how UFO sightings disappeared overnight when phone cameras became a thing, random corners of dead gay internet forums are the only place where genuine organic folklore comes from anymore, no one cares what rural weirdos think unless they voted Trump and you're the New York Times.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

I think if you want to make a modern addition to folklore you should at least be required to pull a hoax that people can argue about. Smdh that some little girls actually killed someone over some sloppy photoshop that was presented as "here's my Photoshop!"

At least with Bigfoot or Chupacabra or Jesus I can't like, prove it's not real in 10 seconds.

And yet stories mutate unrecognisably through the telephone game of the internet; that was a little girl who stabbed another little girl a bunch of times (she survived) as a sacrifice to Slenderman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a recurring meta theme with Slenderman material, most of the YouTube series I've seen implied that he is attracted to online attention. (and just loves the camera in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fishmech posted:

This is frequently exaggerated though. You CAN spend hundreds of millions making a game, but you don't have to. And often publishers in dire financial straits decide to pull some dumb bet the farm gambles and it completely wrecks them because they just weren't suitable for it.

The companies who are spending a quarter billion dollars on a game are companies like Rockstar who are also big enough to handle the financial risks from their previous massively popular games, and also they get a billion bucks back within the first week.

But you also have to consider that if a company releases a really lovely flagship game, even if it didn't cost them that much to make, well, who's going to be rushing out to buy all their next games too? That's a major ongoing financial hit that can torpedo studios and games that otherwise could have worked out well for them, through no fault of those later games.

Isn't a shitload of that budget, up to half of it, often spent on marketing, too?