Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Oh I'm so giddy that someone made this thread! :neckbeard:

I've lost all my old regions to the mistress that is Format C:, but I have nothing to do this weekend. With that said, RIP weekend, Sim City 4 calls to me.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just saw this on the STEX, http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

I'll try it immediately.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Another command-line flag I found useful:
code:
-l:"UK English"
Forces the game into left-hand drive mode, in case you're British, or wish to re-create Hong Kong or something.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet
I'll update the OP tonight with the content people have posted sofar. Looks like we might need that reserved post! In the meantime I'll try and answer some questions.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Nice OP, OP. It's got me ready to dive back into the modpacks and create a fresh metropolis. Goodbye weekend...

Question about the Old-Fashioned Pack: Does it include NAM or the opera house fix or any other fancy things besides CAM?

It includes NAM 30 and all the fixes except the one for hi-tech industry; that's an oversight on my part and will be corrected in the next version.

quote:

Combining the gigapacks is probably not doable without serious tinkering. They all have untold hundreds if not thousands of lots, plus varying versions of the essentials, all organized differently. Putting it all together without extensive pruning will cause the game to function poorly, if at all. Better to start off with just one.

This is quite true. Old Fashioned alone has 6,637 individual files. The original goon pack has also been DATpacked, so it's non-configurable, and has an older version of NAM, which promises all kinds of messy errors. Honestly, all the packs save Spergin' have PLENTY of content for you.

The only major things Old Fashioned is missing are the CAM starter packs, which I didn't include because they are non-configurable and a lot of the custom content out there has eclipsed them in quality. If you want these, the pack does include all the requisite dependencies; getting them should be as simple as downloading, dragging and dropping. You can find them on the LEX.

quote:

What amount of RAM would you guys say the sweet spot for this game is? Thinking of building a Win7 VM just to run this (and only this). Would I be better off with x64 or x32?

I couldn't tell you what the sweet spot is, but this game cares a lot more about CPU than RAM. 2 gigs should be more than fine. I run Win7x64 and it doesn't crash basically ever, though your mileage may vary.

quote:

I would suggest that instead of relying on the NAM included in the various packs offered here you just get the newest version, a while back I started a fresh game with a pack I got from here but unfortunately it caused some bizarre rail/road problems (couldn't have rail going over roads or the trains would stop running, so basically no rail). I wish I could be more specific about which pack I got but I don't remember which one it was.

I'd recommend getting NAM 30 for now (included in Oldfashioned, probably in Spergin' as well, possibly in GrandFromage's given the date though I'm not certain.) NAM 31 includes a lot of cool new features, but apparently comes with many bugs as well. I'm going to wait until they stabilize it before I start playing around.

quote:

My fiance actually just bought this for me, but accidentally got the base game. Is it possible to find just RH by itself or would I have to end up buying the deluxe version?

Heh, didn't know anyone still sold just the base game. I'm sure it's possible, but you'll have patching to do. Deluxe with all the patches is $20 on steam, if you've got the cash to spare it'll save you a lot of trouble.

quote:

There is a problem building ON the mountains, but what you need to understand is that the Fhuzo map is HUGE.

Seriously. My little stab at the region is the second screenshot in the OP; I'm working in the far west and I've only developed five large city tiles. You will be more than fine, and it's worth it not to deal with the terraformer.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I bought the Deluxe/Rush Hours discs years ago, and have installed/reinstalled the game several times over the years. I can't recall if I have or haven't applied the patch to the current version of SC4 I have running. How do I check and see if I have the patch installed or not? And why isn't the 'moneyeo' cheat working in my game?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

VarXX posted:

Someone posted a guide on steam to do "multiplayer" in SimCity 4 using a folder sync program to share your region with others and have it update whenever they save. I figure with that setup you could pretend your playing the new simcity without the really lovely simulation and bad servers.

Guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125255638

That's really great, if there is a SC4.5 goon game, I'm all in.

Ofaloaf posted:

And why isn't the 'moneyeo' cheat working in my game?

I don't think that cheat works, it's weaknesspays.

Even better just download this: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21118-simcity-4-extra-cheats-plugin

And type "moolah x" Where x is the amount of money you want.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Ofaloaf posted:

And why isn't the 'moneyeo' cheat working in my game?

Cheat code spoiler: It's actually "weaknesspays". There's also another mod out there that re-enables developer mode testing cheats, amongst which was "moolah #####" which sets your money to the exact amount of simoleons you want in your treasury. Interestingly enough, the developer cheats included "riskymoney" which gave $10,000 but had a chance of triggering an earthquake, which would have been a great addition to the released game. Anyway.

As a note, with "weakness pays" you can hold shift when you hit enter, and the cheat input box won't go away, allowing you to then press the up arrow to recall the last command, enter again, and cycle up/enter/up/enter/up/enter until you have enough money.

Gah! E;FB!!

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 8, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

benzine posted:

That does sound really cool. Are there any LPs of folks who've already done that? I wonder what happens if a mayor builds regional connections to a neighboring city while the neighboring mayor is still actively playing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Very good question. Without trying it, my GUESS is that you'd need to return to region and then re-enter the city for the connections to appear. But that's just a guess.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Ofaloaf posted:

That does sound really cool. Are there any LPs of folks who've already done that? I wonder what happens if a mayor builds regional connections to a neighboring city while the neighboring mayor is still actively playing.

I played in a goon multiplayer SC4 game a long time ago, it must have been in 2007 or so. It used a different front end, but the same idea - only since this was in the pre-:yayclod: days, you had to manually push/pull updates.

Connections were a pain, because if 2 players were working on adjacent plots there would inevitably be conflicts. I think there was also an issue with changing terrain height and placing buildings along the edges of the city plots, since someone could build a connection there and gently caress things up.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
We could solve the problem with a no building near the borders for at least 5 tiles. and the connections we could upload a region with the basic transit network done, just like SC5.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Alright, so i went through the fantastic OP and got SC4 Steam deluxe properly set up with parameters, the Original Goon Gigapack downloaded, unpacked and installed.

Before starting i went and downloaded Fhuzo region. The only problem is that i can't get it to show up in the "Load Region" list despite the folder being right there in the same location as all the others. Is this a common problem where i missed a small but essential step?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Alright, so i went through the fantastic OP and got SC4 Steam deluxe properly set up with parameters, the Original Goon Gigapack downloaded, unpacked and installed.

Before starting i went and downloaded Fhuzo region. The only problem is that i can't get it to show up in the "Load Region" list despite the folder being right there in the same location as all the others. Is this a common problem where i missed a small but essential step?
The extracted 'Fhuzo' folder ought to be sitting comfortably in the regions folder and look something like the below image:

Have you accidentally nested the region within a second folder, maybe?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Great OP for a great game.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ofaloaf posted:

The extracted 'Fhuzo' folder ought to be sitting comfortably in the regions folder and look something like the below image:

Have you accidentally nested the region within a second folder, maybe?
Thanks, wasn't aware it had to be the "documents" region folder instead of the game directory one.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
hmm... I think I need to build Coruscant tonight. Thanks for the thread OP.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
That looks really good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is basically the ideal netbook game. Here's to hoping that my ISP decides to let one of the mod pack torrents go through.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Are there any good island regions? I want to build something Singapore-ish. I had a custom island I made myself years ago, but it died along with one of my old hard drives, I think.

aethyr
Mar 2, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

Are there any good island regions? I want to build something Singapore-ish. I had a custom island I made myself years ago, but it died along with one of my old hard drives, I think.

There's actually a Singapore map that's pretty good:
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/25148-singapore-by-blade2k5/

I use SC4 Mapper 2013 to import it. There are simple instructions that come with the Singapore map, you may have to register for this site to download it:
http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2880

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am new to modding for simcity 4, do i just extract the old fashioned mod pack into Documents\Simcity 4\Plugins?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yup. Folder structure does not matter in the plugin folder, it just looks for the files in there.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Which is to say you should probably organize any plugins you download in some way that makes sense to you in case you need to update/troubleshoot/remove some particular thing at some point.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

Which is to say you should probably organize any plugins you download in some way that makes sense to you in case you need to update/troubleshoot/remove some particular thing at some point.

Is there still active development on the mods? Maybe I'm just ignorant of the scene, but I'm under the impression the development more or less ceased around 2010.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just played the first couple of hours using the Original Goon Gigapack. Crashes with Fuhzo, but works fine with the regular regions.

Ran into a couple of trivial bugs like firetrucks getting lost or riots being barely visible (so i had to click policecars around randomly for 5 minutes), but everything else looks awesome. The only way to tell modded buildings apart is by missing or weird descriptions.

Now if only i could make my city not suck horribly. :D

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
No NAM is still being worked on, as a matter of fact the last version was released a week ago. And for new buildings just check the STEX.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My biggest problem with this game is making a city interesting.

Infrastructure is significantly more expensive to keep up in this game than previous games, so it's both tempting and easy to start building massive grids of zoned area and watch cash roll in, but then you end up with a really boring city that is just effective at making money. Creating something interesting while still finding yourself in the black is a real challenge.

Also, this is a tall order, because I couldn't imagine the horsepower needed to run the sim, but is there a mod that allows you to play an entire region as one city?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
No, but I think at a certain point the fun is in crafting the city over really trying to squeeze what you can out of the simulation, so turn on the cheats for unlimited funds and start playing with the ploppables and puzzle pieces and terraforming to get the look and feel you want if traditionally zoning and waiting for something to happen doesn't work out.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Sober posted:

No, but I think at a certain point the fun is in crafting the city over really trying to squeeze what you can out of the simulation, so turn on the cheats for unlimited funds and start playing with the ploppables and puzzle pieces and terraforming to get the look and feel you want if traditionally zoning and waiting for something to happen doesn't work out.
Indeed, screw the mind numbingly boring budget game and let your urban planing skills go wild!

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My biggest problem with this game is making a city interesting.

Infrastructure is significantly more expensive to keep up in this game than previous games, so it's both tempting and easy to start building massive grids of zoned area and watch cash roll in, but then you end up with a really boring city that is just effective at making money. Creating something interesting while still finding yourself in the black is a real challenge.

Also, this is a tall order, because I couldn't imagine the horsepower needed to run the sim, but is there a mod that allows you to play an entire region as one city?

It's not terribly hard actually; you don't have to build services just because your advisors and sims demand them. The only thing you really have to build are fire departments, and I just say that because constant fires get annoying. It takes all the services (especially education) to unlock wealthier and higher-density buildings, but with a higher region population demand will start to snowball and skyscrapers on-demand become more and more feasible.

Also, keep in mind almost all infastructure is scaleable to your population demands. While some buildings are much more expensive than others, it's not impossible to have a lightly-settled area that still has infastructure in all the important areas. The modpacks (especially OldFashioned) have some smaller buildings with large coverage radii that can help do this as well.

I'd recommend playing on large tiles. A large, flat tile is surprisingly difficult to fill up, even if you're just plotting out boring grids. A lot of the time I'll plan out an urban core to be off-center relative to the particular tile; that way I can get a large suburb to pay for developing my city center (or sometimes the other way around.) It's also a lot of fun to plot out subdivisions and imagine how this rural-to-urban transition was developed over time. More pragmatically, it's also easier to handle region connections when you have less of them.

Region play can be really useful because you can put a lot of high-pollution industry in one tile and not have it bleed over to the others; but with large tiles, this doesn't matter so much. A river or decently-sized greenbelt can halt pollution and keep land values high on the other side. This is also very true to life: really good examples include Boston and Ottowa, Canada.

There is no mod like you describe, unfortunately. Though, frankly, I'd love to see the computer that could run such a thing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Two questions: Is there any support for Intel Macs and, how would one go about adding those plugins on a Mac?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

benzine posted:

Yeah, I would be way into this if someone wants to set things up, sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, I would be way into this if someone wants to set things up, sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.

I was thinking on maybe a 4x4 medium tile region.

The other problem is the plugins, and the difference between all the players. Again maybe some vanilla + NAM or Old fashioned for all the players.

I know there is this stuff: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=311 So you can load a region with only certain mods, has anyone here used it?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Which modpack is recommended for someone that hasn't played SimCity 4 at all?

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Frosted Flake posted:

Two questions: Is there any support for Intel Macs and, how would one go about adding those plugins on a Mac?

I think everything is Mac compatible other than mod installers; the mods themselves should be fine, so the packs should work. I am not certain. If you feel up to it, play around, and let us know what happens.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

err posted:

Which modpack is recommended for someone that hasn't played SimCity 4 at all?

Probably the OP's modpack.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I can't directly link to it because the site is undergoing major problems, but I heartily recommend the bus stops on road mod (DEDWD_RTBusStops_v101). It lets you have bus stops as part of the road tile itself rather than blocking off an entire road-adjacent square, and looks pretty besides.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
I've started playing this again this month and fixing the cpu affinity fixed all of my CTD problems. I was able to play for hours on end with no crashes. Or so I thought.

Now, when playing my city which has reached a 600k+ pop. there seems to be a high chance of CTD every time I try to save my game. I'm using NAM 31 and the goon gigapack.

Is this probably an issue stemming from the mods or is there a known fix?

edit: This was never a problem before, I've saved many times through many play sessions with no issues. The only recent changes are the size of my city and the introduction of a large highway system.

Nalk fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just started playing this again, with minimal addons/mods (a few building bugfixes, NAM, and the Garbage Disposal mod linked in the OP), and I'm trying to make a real concerted effort to avoid the lovely griddy cities that I usually end up producing, and aiming for aethetics over raw efficiency.

My first small town is up, a tiny little place by the beach that is entirely agricultural. I wanted to see exactly how far I could push a town on a single wind turbine for power, and in the end I have just over a thousand moderately happy hayseeds, some infrastructure to get their produce to other cities, and a few entertainment buildings. I've got fire coverage, however a police presence isn't really required, neither is a hospital/educational presence. I'm posting a razor-thin profit ($6130 vs. $590 in expenses) and the town is utterly stable.

Next up will be a medium-size town with a mix of agriculture and industry, followed by a large, heavily-polluting industrial wasteland. These will support the major city in the centre of my region. As you can see, I have a long way to go.

• Locked thread