Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Mithaldu posted:

I'm playing on the Vita, is that version different on that, or did you simply mean you only know that for the PS3?

I knew I should have elaborated on that when I posted. Yes, the Vita version is different, according to this wiki. In the PS3 version, you could only learn the Tier 3 skills of the weapons Mao is proficient with, but in the Vita version, it looks like Mao is able to learn all the skills of said weapons. There might be a level requirement for the latter three tier skills like in D4, but there very well might not be, either. All you need to know is that you can use a Spear for the extra range when you start the game until you get the Mana you need to get good enough with a Sword, then switch.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard to call it bonus content when it's basically the second half of the game. Is the upside down castle in Castlevania SOTN bonus content?

It's really nothing like that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's hard to call it bonus content when it's basically the second half of the game. Is the upside down castle in Castlevania SOTN bonus content?
Disgaea's postgame is mostly just you grinding until you reach a certain level of strength to beat the next bonus boss. You just go as far as you want, then quit once you're sick of it and watch the rest of the bosses on youtube.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 10, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tengames posted:

Disgaea's postgame is mostly just you grinding until you reach a certain level of strength to beat the next bonus boss. You just go as far as you want, then quit once you're sick of it and watch the rest of the bosses on youtube.

Really, outside of the last one, the optional bosses aren't too outrageously difficult. I'd say the optional bosses (specifically the recruitables) are right where you should stop if you're a normal person, because that's right before the grinding gets insane.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

homeless snail posted:

That's kind of what ZHP is all about. What Disgaea does to SRPGs, ZHP does for roguelikes.

Check out Phantom Brave too, its not NIS' greatest game but the mechanics are really interesting. Its all about accumulating items, rocks, trees, skulls, etc, and turning them into characters.

I couldn't really get into Phantom Brave, but I felt that ZHP was one of the best PSP games if you're looking for a solid time sink and are a fan of Nippon Ichi's style and roguelike games even if it is easy compared to the standard roguelike.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Cart Cam posted:

I couldn't really get into Phantom Brave, but I felt that ZHP was one of the best PSP games if you're looking for a solid time sink and are a fan of Nippon Ichi's style and roguelike games even if it is easy compared to the standard roguelike.

ZHP is literally my favorite psp game and Nis game. Speaking of which, did they every say anything about a NA localization of the ps3 spiritual successor?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I really liked some of the mechanics from phantom brave and makai kingdom, but the story was kind of bland in the former and the game kind of unfinished in the latter.

I would really love if they made more games in the same vein as makai kingdom.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

DrManiac posted:

ZHP is literally my favorite psp game and Nis game. Speaking of which, did they every say anything about a NA localization of the ps3 spiritual successor?

They actually said that it is confirmed for localization under the name the Guided Fate paradox.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Any chance of a PC port of ZHP? It worked for Half-Minute Hero.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scalding Coffee posted:

Any chance of a PC port of ZHP? It worked for Half-Minute Hero.

Probably not very likely. NIS has done a large handful of games, and all of em are Playstation exclusives outside of the DS port of the first Disgaea.

Also the guy who made it didn't like ZHP's theme and thinks that people didn't like the aesthetic of it. That's why The Guided Fate Paradox is so... different.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Should I bother with monster classes or stick to the regular kind? It seems like monsters don't have as many options, plus my Prinnie keeps getting one shotted.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shoehead posted:

Should I bother with monster classes or stick to the regular kind? It seems like monsters don't have as many options, plus my Prinnie keeps getting one shotted.

Which game are you playing? In Disgaea 1 and 2, monsters are basically worthless, but as of 3 they actually have uses.

EDIT: Well, most monsters in 2. There are some that are pretty solid in that game (like Tink. He's actually really good.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Which game are you playing? Monsters are pretty terrible in Disgaea 1 but pretty good in the other games, even if they have some drawbacks compared to humans. Prinnies are only really good in Disgaea 2 though, so that's probably the problem.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Make a sequel to Phantom Brave already, NIS :argh: It's your best game.

As an aside, Disgaea 2 is probably my favorite of the series. I thought the tone of the plot along with the minor changes in the mechanics all came together into a fun package. I've owned Disgaea 3 since its release but never got more than an hour into it. Should I just give up on it after all my attempts to get into it? It's hard to say what I don't like about it. If it's the story/characters, or the classroom system, or the magic change system that I'm not exactly sure how it works. I thought about going right to Disgaea 4.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also the guy who made it didn't like ZHP's theme and thinks that people didn't like the aesthetic of it. That's why The Guided Fate Paradox is so... different.

Really? ZHP was the one of the only nis game where I actually did get into the story and themes (I mean, how many sentai roguelikes are there?). The aesthetic touches were also really nice like the different equipment types having different super hero themes. I hope paradox doesn't get to serious :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

Make a sequel to Phantom Brave already, NIS :argh: It's your best game.

As an aside, Disgaea 2 is probably my favorite of the series. I thought the tone of the plot along with the minor changes in the mechanics all came together into a fun package. I've owned Disgaea 3 since its release but never got more than an hour into it. Should I just give up on it after all my attempts to get into it? It's hard to say what I don't like about it. If it's the story/characters, or the classroom system, or the magic change system that I'm not exactly sure how it works. I thought about going right to Disgaea 4.
Just skip it, the overwrought drama of 3's story can be pretty insufferable, and the school theme either clicks with you or it doesn't. 4 is better in almost every way, particularly tonally.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

homeless snail posted:

Just skip it, the overwrought drama of 3's story can be pretty insufferable, and the school theme either clicks with you or it doesn't. 4 is better in almost every way, particularly tonally.

Almost? Unless he's playing the Vita version of 3, Disgaea 4 is better in absolutely every way.

EDIT: I guess 3 might have a less awful extreme postgame? Maybe? I don't know, I always stop after the optional bosses.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think the postgame in D4 is a little grindier, especially if you aren't exploiting that dupe bug. That's about the only negative thing I can say about Disgaea 4.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's my dumb question.

I like sRPGs. I think the Disgaea games are neat looking, and find the setting pretty different.

I loving loathe grinding though. If at any point my solution to move forward is "yo go back and redo stuff 20 times", I'll usually just put it down.

If I just want to see the main story stuff in each game, and avoid all the optional side things, would I be able to beat them with limited/no grinding? From a quick glance over the OP, it sounds as if the base game content is pretty simplistic, it's just the optional side bosses that are a real challenge.

Should I bother with these games?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rookersh posted:

Here's my dumb question.

I like sRPGs. I think the Disgaea games are neat looking, and find the setting pretty different.

I loving loathe grinding though. If at any point my solution to move forward is "yo go back and redo stuff 20 times", I'll usually just put it down.

If I just want to see the main story stuff in each game, and avoid all the optional side things, would I be able to beat them with limited/no grinding? From a quick glance over the OP, it sounds as if the base game content is pretty simplistic, it's just the optional side bosses that are a real challenge.

There is virtually no required grinding to complete the main storyline in Disgaea games. All of that becomes a thing once you reach the postgame (which becomes readily apparent once you notice that the level where enemies give as much EXP as a level 300 is just shy of the final boss's level.)

So, yes. If you think the setting is interesting and are willing to tolerate some anime nonsense for a fun romp, definitely give Disgaea a shot.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think Disgaea can appeal to a whole spectrum of people. You can easily beat all the story missions and totally ignore the side stuff, you can dabble in the Chara/Item Worlds to lightly pump your characters up, you can peel away the strategy layer and dig into the rewarding metagame underneath, or you could be ulillillia.

Don't totally dismiss grinding in Disgaea though, its pretty different than in most games. NIS actually dedicates a ton of design and mechanics to making grinding interesting and rewarding. It actually takes a decent amount of thought to engineer the scenarios to grind most effectively. I hate grinding in most games but I just find it really fascinating in Disgaea. I barely even consider them SRPGs anymore really.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 11, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Most battles seem to go by so quickly and you get so much poo poo to spend your money/mana/othershit on that I really look forward to fighting.

Also I'm a few hours into 3 on the Vita. I'm not having any trouble with the story, but then again I love really retarded plots in video games just as much as I love the really vast, emotionally challenging ones, so YMMV.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

homeless snail posted:

I think the postgame in D4 is a little grindier, especially if you aren't exploiting that dupe bug. That's about the only negative thing I can say about Disgaea 4.

When they updated D4 to remove the bug, I kept waiting for them to release an update to make duping at least as effective as it was in D3, which AFAIK they never did. So I never updated. Someday I'll finish creating 'perfect' L300 versions of everything and duping a dozen of each so I can finally feel comfortable updating.

Rookersh posted:

Well, to echo the sentiment already made, you technically can go pretty much straight from one level to the next (aside from an obligatory 10-floor item world jaunt to make sure you know it's there) without any external leveling if you know what you're doing. If you don't, you may have to make a detour to fix up your levels or gain some gear. Plus side though, you can easily spend all this 'grinding' in the randomly-generated item world, which has its own special tidbits and bonuses to keep it interesting despite being generated. The IW can get tedious when you're spending 50-100 hours there pushing into the grindfest postgame, but during the main game you won't need to be there nearly long enough for it to get boring.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shoehead posted:

Most battles seem to go by so quickly and you get so much poo poo to spend your money/mana/othershit on that I really look forward to fighting.

Also I'm a few hours into 3 on the Vita. I'm not having any trouble with the story, but then again I love really retarded plots in video games just as much as I love the really vast, emotionally challenging ones, so YMMV.

Oh, 3Vita. Okay, yeah. Definitely try using monsters. Don't worry about your prinny being bad, they're never actually very good. Just make sure you pay attention to what your monsters' Magichange type is before making one, because that's actually the main reason you want to use them.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm thinking about picking up a PS3, for the Disgaea series among other things. Is it possible to play the D3Vita version on PS3? It's not really a dealbreaker I suppose, but it would help push me over the edge.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nope; sadly the vita/psp versions are exclusive to the sony handhelds.

Rookersh posted:

Here's my dumb question.

Yeah grinding isn't that important for the main game.

If it helps levels stop mattering in post game though; it's actually possible to go from level 1 to level 9999 in a single fight if you set yourself up right. Hell in 4 you can level up 3 characters at once to that high. They usually have a ____ of ordeals in the postgame that after 3 tough maps you get access to one specifically made for you to walk right in; select a move, and clear it in a single action.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If I wasn't clear, I was playing D3 on PS3. I don't own a Vita. I guess I will just skip along to D4. Is there a reason why they seemingly nerfed monsters from D2 to D3? I had some pretty badass Prinnies and other monsters in D2 that helped compliment the human classes. But like most SPRGs, stock characters suffer when you have special NPCs.

A fist weapon Ninja/Adell just steamrolled everything for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Harlock posted:

If I wasn't clear, I was playing D3 on PS3. I don't own a Vita. I guess I will just skip along to D4. Is there a reason why they seemingly nerfed monsters from D2 to D3? I had some pretty badass Prinnies and other monsters in D2 that helped compliment the human classes. But like most SPRGs, stock characters suffer when you have special NPCs.

To be fair; Adell steamrolls everything. He's the DLC character in 3 and 4 that you can count on to break the game.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

DrManiac posted:

Really? ZHP was the one of the only nis game where I actually did get into the story and themes (I mean, how many sentai roguelikes are there?). The aesthetic touches were also really nice like the different equipment types having different super hero themes. I hope paradox doesn't get to serious :ohdear:

You can still turn your legs into tank treads and it's still a game by NIS, it's going to be ridiculous nonsense no matter what.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
This is one of the funner games to play when you know what you're doing.

Until your console dies and takes your save with it :emo:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I love the Disgaea series, to an almost unhealthy level. My only real complaint with the series is that the first Disgaea has the worst/least mechanics, but also the funniest gags in the series.

My other complaint is that I don't have a PS3, my brother does, so I only get to play the later games in the series sporadically.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

I don't know if they nerfed the monster stats from 2 to 3, but Evilities and Magichange are designed to make monster classes more flexible in the newer games. I definitely find myself using them way more often than I used to.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Is it worth it to change my super unit into a Mass Produced Desco?, I feel like my Desperado is doing pretty well, I'm just curious.

EDIT: I'm playing D3Vita in case anyone is curious.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

King of Solomon posted:

Which game are you playing? In Disgaea 1 and 2, monsters are basically worthless, but as of 3 they actually have uses.

EDIT: Well, most monsters in 2. There are some that are pretty solid in that game (like Tink. He's actually really good.)

Which monsters are worth using, and which ones are so worthless that I shouldn't bother with them?

I restarted my DHD save after loving up a couple characters and accidentally saving when I was messing around with cheats, plus it's been a while now so I figured why not just start fresh. I remember nekomatas being decent but I never really bothered with Tink since the game wasn't really clear what the difference between him turning blue or red was and since I already had pretty powerful dudes I just ignored him.

I'm trying a prinny in my team right now but I'm thinking of giving him up, it feels like I'm feeding him enemies/levels at the expense of everyone else to have him dealing less than half the damage of other characters his level.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Wrist Watch posted:

Which monsters are worth using, and which ones are so worthless that I shouldn't bother with them?

I restarted my DHD save after loving up a couple characters and accidentally saving when I was messing around with cheats, plus it's been a while now so I figured why not just start fresh. I remember nekomatas being decent but I never really bothered with Tink since the game wasn't really clear what the difference between him turning blue or red was and since I already had pretty powerful dudes I just ignored him.

I'm trying a prinny in my team right now but I'm thinking of giving him up, it feels like I'm feeding him enemies/levels at the expense of everyone else to have him dealing less than half the damage of other characters his level.

Prinny's are joke characters used only just for shits and giggles.

Succubus; Nekomata; Dragons; Bone Dragons; Baciels and a few obvious late game monsters are the best out the gate. Though being Disgaea you can turn a Prinny into a elder god if you really wanted v:v:v

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a D4 Vita?

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know if there are any plans for a D4 Vita?

Nothing official, but considering that pretty much every other NIS game that anyone cares about is on either the PSP or the Vita at this point, it's not hard to assume that 4 will eventually get a Vita remake.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blue Tink has +2 movement over Red Tink, Red Tink gains a +20% boost to all his stats for every female unit next to him. A good gimmick with him is to combine red Tink with beastmasters: they're female, and they boost him because he's a monster.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Wrist Watch posted:

Zombies get full HP/SP if they land a killing blow with a regular attack. They're not the greatest units, but their Item World longevity is pretty nice because of that. :)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

XkyRauh posted:

Zombies get full HP/SP if they land a killing blow with a regular attack. They're not the greatest units, but their Item World longevity is pretty nice because of that. :)

They fuse real nicely with Desco, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How is Taro in D2 towards the Baal-game?

• Locked thread