Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is Taro in D2 towards the Baal-game?

In post games the only stat that really matters is offense. That said; in D2 Taro is just about the only unit that's defensive that can still be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I never got to far in Disgaea 2 so I gotta ask.

Was Adell Human? Game seemed to drop hints sometimes that he wasn't.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alteisen posted:

So I never got to far in Disgaea 2 so I gotta ask.

Was Adell Human? Game seemed to drop hints sometimes that he wasn't.

Spoilers on Adell
Nope. He was a demon; his parents that abandoned him were the two masked guys working for "zenon"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

King of Solomon posted:

They fuse real nicely with Desco, also.

Desco's Disgaea 4, right? Or is whoever that is also in the psp version of Disgaea 2 and I missed it somehow?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Wrist Watch posted:

Desco's Disgaea 4, right? Or is whoever that is also in the psp version of Disgaea 2 and I missed it somehow?

She is from 4, yeah. Monster fusion is also new to 4. I guess she's also in 3 Vita as part of the extra content, but I'm not positive there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

King of Solomon posted:

She is from 4, yeah. Monster fusion is also new to 4. I guess she's also in 3 Vita as part of the extra content, but I'm not positive there.

Yup; main character in 4 and added content on 3's vita release

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In post games the only stat that really matters is offense. That said; in D2 Taro is just about the only unit that's defensive that can still be useful.

I always found defense to be a really helpful stat in Disgaea 2's postgame. Armor's too weak in Disgaea 1, and 3 and 4 have that stupid skill multiplier system, but since defense actually works like it's supposed to in 2, it's worthwhile to level some armor since you can more or less shut down everything even while drastically underleveled.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
On the other hand, speed is still king even in 2. Even if they fix defense in DD2 speed's going to need a solid nerf because it just does so much and works on every source of damage with just one stat instead of requiring you split mitigation between defense and resistance. Defense is better early on because speed requires you to notably outclass enemy hit, but it doesn't take long before you wonder why you're not slamming a ton of speed on your dudes.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Spoilers on Adell
Nope. He was a demon; his parents that abandoned him were the two masked guys working for "zenon"

I don't know why, but that twist actually surprised me given how much the game telegraphs it

Adell is the best Disgaea protagonist. He and Champloo need their own spinoff wherein they basically just punch a lot of poo poo.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
The opening for Disgaea D2 has been posted and it has apperently given us the identity of the mysterious angel girl.

Apparently its Flonne.

here is a link to the opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiL-lfDFczo

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I called it when the promo art came back then! Kinda!

Still somewhat surprised; I can't believe such a simple thing shocked me

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Welp, I know I'm ordering whatever mega-special pre-order version of that they come up with with.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

sentrygun posted:

On the other hand, speed is still king even in 2. Even if they fix defense in DD2 speed's going to need a solid nerf because it just does so much and works on every source of damage with just one stat instead of requiring you split mitigation between defense and resistance. Defense is better early on because speed requires you to notably outclass enemy hit, but it doesn't take long before you wonder why you're not slamming a ton of speed on your dudes.

So do most people just buff the poo poo out of speed and evade as many attacks as possible?

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Shoehead posted:

So do most people just buff the poo poo out of speed and evade as many attacks as possible?

Yeah by far. With postgame damage numbers its easier to ensure your survival by just not getting hit at all than to try and reduce a multimillon HP hit with high defense.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And it synergizes about as well with Fist and Gun weapons as you'd expect (read: :drat:)

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
The first DLC has been revealed as well. It will be Fuka and Desco,and it will be free at launch for a limited time. While it doesn't seem to be a scenario it seems they will be able to walk around the castle and talk to the other characters like Laharl, Etna and Flonne are able to do.

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/611/611729/

This just seems to scream that they have something planned for those two.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Shoehead posted:

Yeah, full mitigation trumps partial mitigation, especially when you only have to boost one stat to get it. Unless I'm forgetting something speed doesn't have diminishing returns either, which usually keeps evasion in line in RPGs. That said, it's compared to hit so early on it's hard to get your speed high enough above enemy hit numbers to evade reliably.

If Big Bang sticks to fists for DD2 then they'll still be useful and guns have always been useful in some way, so speed helps out two pretty notable weapon types as well. It's probably the most poorly balanced of the six stats, but I don't think people are playing Disgaea for a well balanced game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

To be totally fair the main game is usually pretty well balanced.

In other news though;

Free DLC has already been announced starting with these two scamps

Also worth noting that it looks like either the Celestial hosts have a new sprite; or there's a new class entirely in that second screenshot

Edit: Oh dammit; for some reason megamariox's post wasn't showing up for me. Late as hell :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 13, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) Monster mounts sound sick as hell. Now I just need to find a movie gimmick to justify an all-mothrider party.

2) I remember hearing that they added male Celestial Hosts (and also female Heavy Knights). Would explain the second shot.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In other news though;

I can't tell if Fuka's riding Desco or just standing behind her, but it stands to reason she could be riding. Now I just need to know whether fused monsters are still a thing and whether they're rideable.

I don't just want to ride monsters. I want to ride GIANT FUCKOFF monsters.

Edit- Oh wait, can you only ride certain specific monster classes? Daaaang.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 14, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Smello posted:

I can't tell if Fuka's riding Desco or just standing behind her, but it stands to reason she could be riding. Now I just need to know whether fused monsters are still a thing and whether they're rideable.

I don't just want to ride monsters. I want to ride GIANT FUCKOFF monsters.

Edit- Oh wait, can you only ride certain specific monster classes? Daaaang.

She's riding Desco, you can see her mouth is open because she's in the crouching sprite and her health bar isn't visible. Also there's a select switch option with desco's portrait, for selecting Fuka instead.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
If that book Flonne's holding allows her to summon prinnies for an attack, thus actually making them useful in a way, I'm sold on this game. Just like seeing a prinny riding around the home base on a ufo instantly sold me on Makai Kingdom.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
While Disgaea D2 sounds awesome for monster mounts and a continuation of Disgaea 1's Laharl/Flonne/Etna story... holy loving poo poo at the ZHP spiritual successor! I LOVED ZHP so damned much, this one's going to cause me to buy a Vita.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Fuckers in homeroom wouldn't let me have a ronin, clearly the only answer is to toss the level curve out of the window and become hardcore enough that I can murder all of them.

Then I'll do 4-2.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This morning I did a homeroom for an Archer that got rejected so gently caress it, time for a fight. I remembered something about throwing enemies on to each other and im sure you guess where im going. Cue one lvl 160 monster that I could barely hit. So I did the same to a friendly monster and everyone stopped fighting, so it was up to me to wear it down over the next 20 uneventful turns.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Playing D3V makes me really miss D4's sprites. God drat they were good looking. On the plus side I'm nearing the good grinding map and I cleared Ch 5 which I remember as being pretty awful.

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just started playing D3 after playing 1/2 for a long time. I'm liking it so far, but I spend a disproportionate amount of time stacking everyone up and doing tower attacks...

It suddenly occurs to me that one of my favorite things to do on postgame runs of 1/2 on psp was use that cheat code that lets you capture literally anything... This is the first ps3 game I have ever played, I'm not even sure if they make a gameshark type dealy for this thing...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

anviroid posted:

I'm not even sure if they make a gameshark type dealy for this thing...

Nope, not unless you have custom firmware installed.

anviroid
Aug 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nope, not unless you have custom firmware installed.

Well, that's gayer than two dudes blowing three dudes... Gameshark has been a core part of my gaming experience since forever. I love squeezing new life out of old games by systematically raw loving the code...

:negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ZHP is getting a sequel? Any news on whether it's less grindy bullshit than the original? I tried to get into the postgame for it, but it was just wayyyyy too much of a slog. Will this one be better? What's it like, anyway?

And god dammit now I want to play DD2. PS3 why :negative:

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

Pollyanna posted:

ZHP is getting a sequel? Any news on whether it's less grindy bullshit than the original? I tried to get into the postgame for it, but it was just wayyyyy too much of a slog. Will this one be better? What's it like, anyway?

It's less of a sequel, and more or a completely different game with the same system since apparently no one liked the super hero aesthetic. I loved it and everything that came with it. "I'M IN DESPAIR!!!!" and all that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

It's a spiritual sequel, new art style and totally different stories/characters but looks to be more of the same gameplay wise; no idea on the postgame though. Here's a trailer.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 17, 2013

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

It's a NIS jam. Its gonna be super grindy in the end game -that's what they do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pollyanna posted:

All NIS games are tera grindy.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

How the gently caress am I supposed to beat Mt. Ordeal 3.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Disgaea 4's? Level up your weapons and kill as many enemies as possible on the gate so you don't have to deal with Silence.

Unknown_PC
Oct 9, 2002

What do you mean it's not done!?
Disgaea D2 trophy list from JP site, sources originally from 2ch. Similar trophies as D4, collect all items (grade doesn't matter), watch animations for all special moves, etc.

Lots of postgame cameo spoilers
http://exophase.com/game/%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2-d2-ps3/trophies/

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Unknown_PC posted:

The fellow was a "Vu~arubatoze" "Fenrihhi" condition. Eat a sardine from good!

God I love Google Translate.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Unknown_PC posted:

Disgaea D2 trophy list from JP site, sources originally from 2ch. Similar trophies as D4, collect all items (grade doesn't matter), watch animations for all special moves, etc.

http://exophase.com/game/%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AC%E3%82%A4%E3%82%A2-d2-ps3/trophies/

Oh god oh god oh god this is amazing!

Dark Death Evil Man! God I hope hes recruitable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wow. There seems to be no point in stealing in D3.. at least in the early game. Nobody has anything worth taking, and even if they did my thief still only has 1% chance being nearly twice their level.

• Locked thread