Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Wrist Watch posted:

Which monsters are worth using, and which ones are so worthless that I shouldn't bother with them?
Zombies get full HP/SP if they land a killing blow with a regular attack. They're not the greatest units, but their Item World longevity is pretty nice because of that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I bought D4 on a whim after skipping D3, and while I haven't been disappointed, I've definitely felt that the game didn't bring anything significantly new to the table after I spent so much time with D2. Seeing all this information about DD2 is really tempting me to just quit D4 now and wait! Very eager to see this stateside.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Speaking of the master/Pupil system, in Disgaea2, you could stand a Master and a Pupil side by side, and let the Master cast the Pupil's spells until they earned enough XP to level the spell up, and from that point on, they knew it for themselves. Is there anything like that in Disgaea4? Having the Master cast the spell didn't earn any XP.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

CaptainWinky posted:

{Use Clone Geo Symbols to farm EXP}
Does this really work? I thought that Cloned enemies gave less/no experience?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Haven't had any lock-ups yet, but the thing with Laharl starting a new map at 1HP is particularly annoying in the Item World. Gotta spend one character's action healing him every time a new map shows up (not far enough into the game to give him an Evility that'd mitigate the issue yet).

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Smello posted:

I don't think it's just you, IMO DD2's postgame is just really amazingly dull. For a series based so heavily around postgame grinding, that's saying a lot.

As someone who has never really done a post-game grind, I'm curious what elements make it 'fun' or 'not fun' for other people.

The Disgaea game I've put the most time into was 2, and the big draw of it for me was choosing items with descriptions I could rename into amusing/stupid things. (For example, the item "Imperial Seal" has the description "Allows you to commit atrocities with total authority!" and I went into the Item World and renamed it "Class C License.")

It just so happened that along the way, I leveled my guys a reasonable amount. But I wasn't using the Felony system, I wasn't passing Stronger Monsters bills, and I wasn't stacking three Accelerators with +move onto a single person. I got all the Treasure Maps and unlocked the Land of Carnage, but never really gained enough level to do a run of 10 floors in the Item World there.

I had fun doing that, and I stopped doing it when it stopped being fun; what's the selling point of the post-game grind? :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Is it okay to discuss the plot of D2 in here without spoilers?

So far, the plot of the very first Disgaea remains my favorite, and I think it's because of the presence of a third party (Earth). Captain Gordon and his crew showing up and getting roped into becoming Laharl's vassals was a pretty amusing deal, and the three-way interaction between Celestia, Earth, and the Netherworld made for an interesting plot.

Compare that to D2, where the bulk of the plot feels almost like a side-quest (Find out what Xenolith's deal is!) off of the main plot course (Laharl is still not legitimately accepted as Overlord, despite all of his actions in Disgaea 1). I guess you could argue that the moment that Grosso and crew accept Laharl as Overlord is an analogue for the opinions of the Netherworld in general, but it still feels like the scope of the overall story is considerably smaller, and the ending rushed. :(

I guess what I'm trying to say is "What happened to Captain Gordon?" wasn't he still in the Netherworld, and still one of Laharl's vassals, at the end of the first game? :P

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I experienced my first two crashes today, both times from breaking Geo Pyramids. The first time was Flonne shooting the Pyramid with her Bow; the second was Laharl tossing one Pyramid into the other. Both times the game locked up as the Pyramid was supposed to die, with the music holding on for ~3 extra seconds before cutting off.

Loading my save, re-saving, and re-loading seems to have cleared the issue. No clue what caused it, but it did happen twice in a row off the same save data, so maybe something got seeded funny, and re-saving cleared it?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

So the DLC schedule for Disgaea D2 is plodding along, but I'm a bit stunned/surprised: You can get Fuka and Desco together for $3, but Adell and Rozalyn are $3 apiece?! :(

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

About how long should it take for the Demon Dojo to level up? I'm mid Chapter 4 and have done probably 200 floors of Item Sea and some tutorial-map grinding. It says it will level up after some battles, when can I expect that?

I got my first training class level-up in the Dojo after I finished the main story. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 map clears with a person out? Either way, if you have someone in, say, Kata Practice (the Atk one, right?) and they are deployed on the map when the map is cleared, that counts as one point towards leveling up the Dojo class. Just keep deploying the people who are in the class you want to level up. As the Dojo classes level up, you can fit more people in them, and the classes will consequently level up more quickly. :)

Edited to try to be more clear.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 9, 2014

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Sonata Mused posted:

A tip for those of you playing D2: Casters are pretty much the best in the game, I've found. The leveling maps later also seem to favor casters.

Star Magic is extremely difficult to compete with, simply because it gets range, area of effect, and you don't have to sweat resistances at all. Comedy options include teaching Petta "Magic Boost" and parking her next to your caster, and/or putting the Evility "Corpse Devourer" on your caster. :)

There are a few useful skills outside of magic, though. There's a Spear skill that hits five or six tiles in a straight line, which you can't do with any magic spell, and Dimension Slash hits a unique area... but for the most part, casters are very very good.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

It's actually only 30 stage clears with the training character on the field at the end to go from level 1 to 2. I think it's something like 40 or 50 clears to go from 2 to 3 (but should go faster, since you can have two characters out). 3-4 is something like 100 clears.

Now keep in mind, Item World does NOT count towards this total, only regular stages.

That explains a lot. Thank you, and sorry for the misinformation! :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Vita D3 had those. It was actually exploitable too because you could dive into a high level item world, break a chest/steal a thing and die over and over instead of need Mr Gencys.
You can do the same thing in D2 and get lots of Super Prinny Suits from Pringer X this way. :) Steal it, die, repeat.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

If you're not averse to DLC, I feel like Marona is a really good investment. Her unique skill "Confine" lets you bring a dead character back to the battlefield. You bring out your strongest powerhouse, clear as much of the board as you can solo. Once that powerhouse finally dies, you bring Marona out one or two squares from the Base Panel, use Confine to bring your powerhouse back, now with 30% bigger stats, and have someone else toss Marona back into the Base Panel. You can even re-Confine the same dead person multiple times on one floor of the Item World, although it continues to count against your 10 character limit. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Zilkin posted:

How do you use thiefs properly? Seen many guides mention how important mechanic stealing is, but even at about equal level the chances seem pretty low. Not to mention that thiefs seem to suck at dealing damage. I'm currently playing Disgaea 2 and Rozalin does way more damage than my thief, even though they got similar items and are roughly the same level. Feels like I'm missing something.

Disgaea 2 Thieves can also Steal Consciousness (Sleep) and that can have an impact on steal chance as well. Put them to sleep, stand behind them, and use a Hand with good HIT on it (you can even run it through the Item World to raise its stat, if you like).

Chances are the reason the Thief is doing less damage than Rozalyn has to do with both Aptitudes and Weapon Skill. :)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Star Magic seems to be generally overpowered in these games. It's got all sorts of versatility in areas it can hit, range it can reach, and is never mitigated by elemental resistances. Make a Mage of some sort, give 'em good INT and a nice Staff, and faceroll everything.

Is there anything that can compete with Star Magic?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

The series doesn't seem to be super-big on androgyny. Most of the females tend to be very obviously female, and that lead is not. I'm guessing male.

What about the Alraunes? Wasn't there one in the main town in Disgaea 2 who said he was a guy? :P

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Mr.Dr.Jr. posted:

I think Disgaea 4 was the best, I'm probably not going to get this one.
I just think disgaea 4 was just barely able to pull some thing off and make them cool while D2 pushed past the tipping point.
Like, Heart cannon was cool, but D2 Protect actions just made thing tedious (In and of the fact that they happen every two goddamn seconds)
And if SCEA hadn't been such a bitch, the map editor would have been loving awesome.

.....And what the gently caress is up with changing the item world to the item sea?
I'm just worried that N1's series of questionable choices from D2 will continue here.

Everyone's got their opinion about it, though. Personally I prefer Geo Pyramids to Geo Cubes, and I really appreciate all the streamlining aspects of Disgaea D2's gameplay. :) It's okay to like different things!

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

I thought the standard approach was to have one high-level damage dealer, and a half-dozen lower level support/heal/Espoir characters.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

It's pretty much radical. Every time I kill the level 9999 guys at CoO3, my dude gets I think 30000 HP and SP and 3-6000 to all stats.

And when you reincarnate/transmigrate, do these improved stats affect the new base? I'm only on the tip of the iceberg for end-game stuff, but this sounds like win-win all around.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

HGH posted:

I believe the storyline was LET'S MAKE ETNA RELEVANT AGAIN OOOOH SHE'S GOT A SUPER DEMON BLOODLINE AND AN EVIL BROTHER. Also some shenanigans about being overlord,etc etc...

Disgaea D2: I was really hoping for more Captain Gordon, but he never showed up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

maou shoujo posted:

If you build a tower of units/objects on top of the house or tree in the base map, you can get various rewards for reaching record heights. The second one of these is a free bottlemail that unlocks the class. The easiest time to do this is before the throwing tutorial so your characters won't pick each other up and walk around. If you're already past that you can probably still get it by piling up small objects.

Trees work very well for this purpose.

I remember taking the time to give all my people Healing Steps and the thing that raises EXP gains. :)

• Locked thread