Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

So I bought the Spiderweb pack on Steam. Question: does Avernum 4-6 still act as sequels to the remakes of Avernum 1-3? Like, can I play Avernum Remake 1-3 and then the original series picking up with 4? Or are they separate entities. Is there any reason to play the original trilogy (or even Exile) over the remakes?
Yes, Avernum 4-6 still act as sequels to the remakes. Basically, Exile/Avernum/AvernumWithTitles are all the same three games, then 4-6 are another trilogy that happens a few decades in the future and has not been remade. Personally, I'd suggest starting with Avernum Remake 1-3, then pick up Avernum 4 to 6. If you really, really love Avernum Remake 1-3 and you're willing to put up with technical jank, then maybe give Exile a chance since while the story is the same between Exile and Avernum Remake, the original still has a few unique things (6-person party, the skill system, graphics so old they've wrapped around to "kind of charming, actually?", etc) to recommend it.

The general consensus among Spidweb fans (which I share) is that the original Avernum 1-3 versions from like 2000-2002 have basically no reason to be replayed at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

The general consensus among Spidweb fans (which I share) is that the original Avernum 1-3 versions from like 2000-2002 have basically no reason to be replayed at this point.

They have a few things going for them -- I remember liking the build system, for example. But that's overwhelmed by the bad stuff, like the total lack of AoE spells. Spells are either single-target, or multiple independently-selected targets, just "pick five enemies in range and zap them" things. So yeah, I'd agree with this statement.

I like replaying Exile 3 from time to time. It's great to explore and stumble across some podunk little town with its own quest line. You can really get out in the boonies, while the other games for better or worse have more constrained exploration that divvies up the game into clear zones. Like, sure the northern lakes in Exile 1 are really far from civilization, but it takes pretty concerted effort to get there, while in Exile 3 you can pretty much just pick a direction and start walking. The reremake loses some of that feeling of getting lost, mostly because of the much larger draw distance. It makes the world feel considerably more compact.

I also appreciate that some of the optional lategame dungeons are complete bastards in Exile 3. The reremakes have considerably smoother difficulty curves, which in turn makes some of the set pieces less memorable.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I *still* demand to be let into Sulfras' inner sanctum and the rest of Blackcrag Fortress. It's such a tease. :colbert:

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you put just a square of unclearable fog of war on your map, eight year old me will spend eternity bumping into every adjacent wall in search of a hidden entrance.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I really enjoyed Queen's Wish. It's not his best, but the shorter dungeons were better for my gaming ADD.

Man oh man am I looking forward to Geneforge.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Really debating getting the spiderweb collection because I'm only missing $8 worth of their games but I already have so many games :cry:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I just started Queens Wish. I remember reading lots of folks not caring for the graphics, but I don’t see the issue. They’re cute/charming and get the job done.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The graphics bugged me right until I started playing and then they were fine. As far as quests I'd suggest bouncing between regions every few missions to keep your resources diversified and not constantly fighting the same enemies. In the end it's got flaws but it's his first game since geneforges to really hook me in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The only thing that bugs me about the graphics is the little stands all the units are on and how they go flying to the side when the unit dies. For some reason I find that super distracting.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Really debating getting the spiderweb collection because I'm only missing $8 worth of their games but I already have so many games :cry:
Give 👏 Jeff 👏 Vogel 👏 Money

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Spiderweb Game Question: Which series, if any, allow you to take a single character through and do save importing, if any?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
None. In Avernum/Exile 1-3 you could tell yourself they've just lost their mad skills, see Berryjon's excellent Exile LPs. Maybe 4-6 too? Maybe Avadon, stalled out in 1 of that.
Geneforge is a big nope on that, depending on the endings you chose previously so.

Also Singleton runs are a thing if you care about that, but you might have to go to the Spiderweb forums or whatever for advice as it's kind of niche.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Maybe if I buy enough of these I'll finally play one long enough to beat it

(also sigh at Avernum 3 not being in the mega-bundle)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Spiderweb Game Question: Which series, if any, allow you to take a single character through and do save importing, if any?

You want Blades of Exile/Blades of Avernum. They're module-based, you can take one party through multiple different adventures.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can do it! Faito!

Though some of the endgame slogs (Looking at your Ruined World in your various incarnations) for me hit the point of "Even if I'm going to win these fights... I don't know if I want to spend the time."

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:toot:

I'll pick up Avernum 3 later - I'm only just now actually playing it.

My spiderweb history, for those who care: started with Geneforge as a teenager, and while I enjoyed 1 I never got far into it due to how oldschool it was. I'd intend to play more and kept falling off the wagon. Then, years later I picked up Avadon on steam and got 5+ hours into it and... wandered away. I don't remember why. Then I kept reading up on Jeff Vogel and thinking he was cool, but I couldn't get myself to get back to Avadon to continue. It's like dropping a fantasy novel in the middle - I remember enough to not want to replay it, but not enough to pick up my old save. Then I'd try Avernum and for some reason never played beyond the first town. Despite all of this I keep picking up Spiderweb games because I like supporting him.

So now I finally go screw it, install Avernum this morning, and I just cleared the bandit fort and I'm about to go explore the sewers and this is really fun? It's not a mind-blowing experience but it's more... the satisfaction of exploring a hand-crafted world and knocking out quests.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Exile 2 and Exile 3 are the most viable games for singletons, in my opinion, though Exile 2 has a pretty rocky start. The key things are that you have the Haste/Bless/dual-wielding combo for bonkers melee damage (crucial as you have limited MP to spend on nuking enemies), Antimagic Cloud to provide "cover" against enemy spellcasters in open-ground fights, and ready access to skill potions (in E2) / a trick to get large amounts of INT for free (in E3) to help your character get competent.

Later games generally aren't so generous...that said, I'm sure they're doable. I beat Avernum: Escape from the Pit with a two-character party, one caster and one martial, and it wasn't too bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Queen's Wish: I like the streamlining, but I wonder if it's TOO streamlined, y'know? Not complaining yet, it's a huge relief not to have to squint at every item and go "are you worthwhile?"

Plot-wise it feels like a giant prank is being pulled on me and like, I'm gonna rebuild these forts but something is Up.

Avernum: Fascinating how there's absolutely no "main plot" so far. I am four people who are exploring these caverns and being generally helpful, while taking everything not nailed down. I hope we can avoid being racist to cat-people and lizard-people, but I'm not sure how strict the plot is going to get about that.

Weirdly enough both are so far better than Avadon because they're not so wordy. Avadon had PAGES of text to read through before you could do anything as I recall, which is part of the dread of resuming it. And I mean I like reading, but in these kinds of games I want a more even balance of hurting things and reading things.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Queen's Wish: I like the streamlining, but I wonder if it's TOO streamlined, y'know? Not complaining yet, it's a huge relief not to have to squint at every item and go "are you worthwhile?"

Plot-wise it feels like a giant prank is being pulled on me and like, I'm gonna rebuild these forts but something is Up.

Avernum: Fascinating how there's absolutely no "main plot" so far. I am four people who are exploring these caverns and being generally helpful, while taking everything not nailed down. I hope we can avoid being racist to cat-people and lizard-people, but I'm not sure how strict the plot is going to get about that.

Weirdly enough both are so far better than Avadon because they're not so wordy. Avadon had PAGES of text to read through before you could do anything as I recall, which is part of the dread of resuming it. And I mean I like reading, but in these kinds of games I want a more even balance of hurting things and reading things.

Avernum isn't as wordy because it's, broadly speaking, the same script as the first remake, which couldn't be wordy due to size considerations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I tossed this up on the beforeIplay thread, any mistakes or obvious missing bits?

quote:

Queen's Wish

- You can respec you and your teams points at any point in a base.
- Healing is hard, so CC including pushes and roots are good.
- You can use most warrior skills with a ranged weapon too.
- Potion bottles refill when you return to a base, there are a number that can be found and building the right things lets you have more and change what is in them.
- The first base in each territory lets you recruit people of that group with that groups racial sub-skills.
- If there is an optional sidefight with treasure in a dungeon, if you kill the boss and leave, the fight and the treasure leave too.
- You can buy/sell fort materials at the port north of the start, once it's working again.

Sadly I can't remember if the AoE fighter skill using your ranged attack stat, the only level/xp in the game being yours so you can just hire/fire at will, or if there's any weird gotchas about potions beyond your capacity to support.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tylana posted:

- If there is an optional sidefight with treasure in a dungeon, if you kill the boss and leave, the fight and the treasure leave too.

AHA I'm glad I went with my gut feeling and killed the slime miniboss, thanks for the heads up that it would have vanished.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
https://twitter.com/spiderwebsoft/status/1275159455550726145

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

im playing avernum 3 ruined world right now. i played exile 3 back when it was new so i kinda remember it

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Just remembered I had the (old) Avernum collection from ages back. Currently playing through the first. It's janky as hell but I do love me some exploring. Some suprisingly charming writing too.

Where should I be dumping my skill points? At the moment I'm just distributing points equally between attributes and weapon/magic skills with leftover points going to non-combat skills and defence.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's been over a decade, but that sounds about right. One thing to keep in mind is there's some secret skills, in particular Anatomy and...Magery? that make your melee and spellcasting significantly more effective. You'll probably want to reserve some skillpoints for those, though it's not remotely game-ruining if you don't. In the end, as long as you're able to handle current threats you should be fine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Almost everything you can pay a trainer for to increase too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

should i get addicted to skribbane

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Snort icy crystals

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This thread says yes: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/2604-what-is-scribbane/

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's been over a decade, but that sounds about right. One thing to keep in mind is there's some secret skills, in particular Anatomy and...Magery? that make your melee and spellcasting significantly more effective. You'll probably want to reserve some skillpoints for those, though it's not remotely game-ruining if you don't. In the end, as long as you're able to handle current threats you should be fine.

Cool, thanks. One question: I picked up a crystal that says it could give me a skill. Thing is, I also found a cave that needs 6 crystals slotted into it. Is this one of those crystals, or something else entirely?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 29, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

quote:

Hey, look at it like this: Would you like to take tons of heroïne every day too? No? Why take it in the game then!

quote:

Because it would be a game and wouldn't ruin my life.

Lmfao

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

This thread says yes: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/2604-what-is-scribbane/

Cool, thanks. One question: I picked up a crystal that says it could give me a skill. Thing is, I also found a cave that needs 6 crystals slotted into it. Is this one of those crystals, or something else entirely?

That's a different crystal. I don't think you can get locked out of any content in Avernum.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/2935741

It's been kind of weird seeing higher fidelity/more artistic renderings of battle alphas, serviles, and the other creations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was just coming to post I'd never pictured serviles quite like that

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I pictured them as little raisiny Jawa men I guess. Definitely not old ladies with trunks/dongs coming from their faces.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Chinook posted:

Definitely not old ladies with trunks/dongs coming from their faces.

Dreams do come true.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Geneforge is actually my least favourite Spiderweb franchise, for reasons with which I will not bore you. I don't dislike it, I just like Avernum/Nethergate/Avadon more, mostly because they are more traditionally party-based. That said, I wish that I had not forgotten to participate in the Kickstarter. I've never participated in one before, but I would for Jeff. Firstly, he's certain to finish a quality product unless he were to die, has vehalila, and secondly he's just about the only studio that's still doing classic-style RPGs. That's worth 20 preemptive dollars.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Out of everyone I can’t believe you missed it. Can’t even support a fellow Jeff.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GreenNight posted:

Out of everyone I can’t believe you missed it. Can’t even support a fellow Jeff.

I feel bad enough; don't twist the knife.

I'll still buy a copy of the game direct from SWS's site, as always.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

Geneforge is actually my least favourite Spiderweb franchise, for reasons with which I will not bore you. I don't dislike it, I just like Avernum/Nethergate/Avadon more, mostly because they are more traditionally party-based. That said, I wish that I had not forgotten to participate in the Kickstarter. I've never participated in one before, but I would for Jeff. Firstly, he's certain to finish a quality product unless he were to die, has vehalila, and secondly he's just about the only studio that's still doing classic-style RPGs. That's worth 20 preemptive dollars.

Yep, that's why I've funded both kickstarters even though I stopped funding videogame kickstarters (turns out there's a reason so many creators of classic games got Activisioned - they can't deliver on time and budget. Not even close). Jeff is reliable. He's had to be to make it this far. And thus I trust him to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idhrendur posted:

Yep, that's why I've funded both kickstarters even though I stopped funding videogame kickstarters (turns out there's a reason so many creators of classic games got Activisioned - they can't deliver on time and budget. Not even close). Jeff is reliable. He's had to be to make it this far. And thus I trust him to deliver.

then why don’t you marry him