Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Will this game have the original medieval-inspired soundtracks? I'm one of those troglodytes that still wants his RTS games to have music. Hell, even an entirely new score would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, I was always terrible at this. Each time I would come back to play I would lose even harder. It seems like the same core group of players kept playing and getting better and better. Does anyone have any sites that go indepth into AoE II strategy?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Heran Bago posted:

Gonna buy this game and then play it. Anyone want to go in on a 4 pack? (i do)

Let's rock. http://steamcommunity.com/id/ronya/

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Eonwe posted:

So, I was always terrible at this. Each time I would come back to play I would lose even harder. It seems like the same core group of players kept playing and getting better and better. Does anyone have any sites that go indepth into AoE II strategy?

Well if its anything like I remember the best strat is to pick Briton, build longbowmen, then kite everything until you win.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Well if its anything like I remember the best strat is to pick Briton, build longbowmen, then kite everything until you win.

And then your longbows get run over by a hundred Cataphracts. Or Huskarls, if you're playing them for some ungodly reason.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Longbows get annoying when massed that much - pretty much the only answer is meatshield plus onagers. I suspect they would beat cataphracts and huskarls.

Then again, a lot of stuff get annoying when massed to a hundred strong.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Boo, beat to the four-pack.

I'm still up for it. Anybody?

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Well hot drat :eyepop:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/xOmicron/status/310421954719002624

Great!

Omicron writes the UserPatch mod (that also forms the basis of the Forgotten Empires mod) - it has some interface/bugfixes over the (non-HD) Age of Empires II. a 60fps tweak was apparently just released, trying it makes the animations run almost uncanny-valley (the original is 20fps).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I can't wait to relive sending a priest to go pick up a relic only to completely forget about him and then panic as my opponent kills him ten minutes later.

This game also had a fantastic soundtrack.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
AoM fixed that by making unit order queues rather more flexible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Next they should do a Rise of Nations remake.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I'm only interested if the matchmaking is some sort of retro redux of the Internet Gaming Zone. No Teutons Experts only 1700+.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Don't worry, unless they alter the balance, you can always look forward to experts only 1v1 Arabia

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hopefully there will be a sizeable influx of terrible players like me and we can all terribly play against each other and it'll be an awesome fun 2 hour long ordeal on a giant map until only one team is left standing.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

The Dark Wind posted:

Hopefully there will be a sizeable influx of terrible players like me and we can all terribly play against each other and it'll be an awesome fun 2 hour long ordeal on a giant map until only one team is left standing.

I spent so many hours of LAN doing this with my friends, the biggest map , wait til everyone was in the castle era and with a huge army and just fight a huge war in the center

What i also loved about AoE2 was that you could change allies on the fly, so if you were playing LAN with friends in the same room allies and enemies were constantly being made as people traded and backstabbed.

Though nothing beat playing any of the civs whose priests could convert buildings and sending them in on covert ops (or should i say...convert ops???)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

What I remember from my friend who used to be a total AOE2 nut so many years ago was that you need to be pushing out Villagers 24/7/365. If your Town Center ain't buildin', you be losin'. He also mentioned something about how the metagame revolved around getting to the 2nd Age as fast as possible, spamming Skirmishers and sieging other players by building towers into their territory.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

ronya posted:

Boo, beat to the four-pack.

I'm still up for it. Anybody?

I would! Never split a product before, how does it work? One person pays for all, then the others reimburse using Paypal?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/smilingknight

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 16, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Smiling Knight posted:

I would! Never split a product before, how does it work? One person pays for all, then the others reimburse using Paypal?

Right. Coordination through Steam Chat. The key is to make sure that the right amount of money gets to the gracious American buyer even after all the fees and tariffs. Coming up like 3 bucks short is just the rudest.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TerryLennox posted:

Have they mentioned if they'll update the gameplay for the automation of some tasks which were annoying like farming?

I am lazy and this is actually make-or-break for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I thought you could queue farms to automatically replenish? And I think that if people make a supply hub they'll automatically start collecting whatever resource that hub holds.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

C-Euro posted:

I thought you could queue farms to automatically replenish? And I think that if people make a supply hub they'll automatically start collecting whatever resource that hub holds.

Correct, auto-farms and villager automation were both introduced in TC.

8 Goon huge map FFAs are gonna be sweeeet.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

Cicero posted:

Next they should do a Rise of Nations remake.

WELL GUESS WHAT

quote:

Steam Database ‏@SteamDB

Rise of Nations Gold Edition was spotted in #Steam Database! Steam API currently reports 39 achievements. http://steamdb.info/sub/1665/

OH SWEET JESUS THERE IS A GOD

Orv
May 4, 2011
AFAIK it's just the gold masters of the game, patched. No HD remake. Still, good news.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Orv posted:

AFAIK it's just the gold masters of the game, patched. No HD remake. Still, good news.

Good, that means the credits song will remain untouched.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
http://www.ageofempires.com/age2.html#news

quote:

Hey, I'm Mark Terrano - Chief Creative Officer at Hidden Path Entertainment, and this is the first in a series of Developer Diaries for Age of Empires II: HD Edition. Which feels a little weird for me because the last time I wrote one of these for Age of Kings it was 1999 (as Lead Designer at Ensemble Studios in Dallas).

Age of Empires II: HD happened because a lot of people wanted to keep that dream alive. The technology has moved forward - operating systems change, old software libraries die, even 'The Zone' faded away in 2006 taking matchmaking with it. For the last 14 years I've heard the dramatic re-enactment of people's favorite stories from the game "No kidding, there I was - just me and the wonder against 4 other guys." often sadly followed by "I miss that game, I wish I could still play it". Not game stories after all, but human stories- about friends and family, victory and defeat - and learning about ancient cultures as a nice side benefit.

It deserved a second chance.

Because a few people were still keeping the dream alive, we ended up talking to the right person at Microsoft who also really wanted to make that happen. We first considered a minimum possible port. Just get it running on modern hardware and operating systems - easy right? If it was a 3 or even a 5 year old game - recompile with new libraries boom, ship it. But 15 years in the Internet era is a *really long time*. In 1999 people had just upgraded from their 56K dial-up modem and traded in their 486 PC for a Pentium class machine with a 14" CRT monitor. Google was still in Beta, YouTube and Netflix hadn't been invented yet.

The fundamental libraries that the game was built on no longer existed, we weren't even sure if all of the game assets were around anymore. So we got all the digital assets that could be found collected together and made our plans. Engineering was going to have to re-build the rendering engine substantially just to get the game to compile. Multi-player would have to be completely re-built, and some of the tricks we did in the code had strange side-effects with modern compiler settings. It would take significant work just to get us to the 1999 version of the game playing on today's computers.

It was Summer 2012 - Microsoft said 'let's go bigger - what would you do?' - we felt that we really needed to fully support larger resolutions and wide screen - both full screen and in-window play (which meant re-authoring all of the game interfaces; we also sweetened the colors and retouched them for modern monitors and graphics cards). We wanted to definitely keep things compatible with the fan levels and content that had been created over the years, and have easy multi-player matchmaking. We wanted to improve the graphics as much as possible while still preserving the crisp unit contrast and 'feel' of the game.

There was a much longer wish list but it was pared down by the realities of the schedule and the game assets that could still be found (we had to extract language files from shipping disks and rebuild it to get all of the localized text, and sadly the original 3D units that we made sprites from had also been lost to time).

I'm so proud of what we've created together with Microsoft - it *is* in every way Age of Kings and The Conquerors. It wasn't re-interpreted, it wasn't re-imagined differently - it is the gameplay that you remember and love, but with new features (like achievements, Steam Workshop and multi-monitor support) added to the experience.

We had a great team here at HPE working on the game - a really incredible effort, and fantastic support and encouragement from the group at Microsoft and our testing partners - but I most want to thank the die-hard fans, that bedrock of the Age of Empires community - my most heart-felt thanks to all of you for keeping the dream alive. Because of you we will all have the opportunities to make new stories and friends with AOE II: HD.

Rebuild the engine up?! Whoo

Lost the 3D sprites? booo :(

e: I do greedily wonder about whether they can get the UserPatch changes in.

ronya fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 19, 2013

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
Preordered, I remember playing the original countless hours with fiends. Used to play with Persians civilization and crush every thing with elephants. I think there will be a live show of it today at this link : http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires at noon pacific time.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I hope they improved some of the inner mechanics of the AoE2 engine. The original AoE2 engine had this big problem where triggers could only activate at the beginning of each game second (instead of every tick like StarCraft). It hindered scenario development and I think that's why AoE2 was never super-popular with scenario-developing communities.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Having lost my disc for RoN a while back, and missing that game terribly, it's still enough to have me ready to scratch that "RTS I Played In High School" itch. AoEII and RoN back from the dead is like a nostalgia dream come true. Can't wait to get my hands of the AoE scenario editor again. I had so much fun with that back in the day.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm going to go rooting around my home swag box to see if I have any AOE2 swag to give away here, it will at most be a t-shirt or baseball cap.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

I'm going to go rooting around my home swag box to see if I have any AOE2 swag to give away here, it will at most be a t-shirt or baseball cap.

An AOE2 hat would be so loving rad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ronya posted:

http://www.ageofempires.com/age2.html#news

Rebuild the engine up?! Whoo

Lost the 3D sprites? booo :(

e: I do greedily wonder about whether they can get the UserPatch changes in.

Those sprites were 3D? I never noticed.

Any idea on whether or not we'll got a new version of the Forgotten Empires fan-expansion for this? If they had to rebuild the engine I'm worried.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

C-Euro posted:

Those sprites were 3D? I never noticed.

They weren't. They used images of 3D models to make 2D sprites, much like what Rare did for Donkey Kong Country.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Preordered, I remember playing the original countless hours with fiends. Used to play with Persians civilization and crush every thing with elephants. I think there will be a live show of it today at this link : http://www.twitch.tv/ageofempires at noon pacific time.

Stream is up now, in fact.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mcvey posted:

Correct, auto-farms and villager automation were both introduced in TC.

8 Goon huge map FFAs are gonna be sweeeet.

I have the feeling games are going to take a long rear end time, because any of the FFAs I had when I was younger were ridiculously long with people swapping allies and enemies a lot as the game shifted. So much fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
New pop cap of 500 in multiplayer. :stare:

E: Devs just blatantly cheating with robin hood to get 500 pop of scorpions. :allears:

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 19, 2013

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
And now they showcased that old scenarios work seamlessly in the HD version!

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I'm so loving EXCITED YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dave Mustard posted:

I'm so loving EXCITED YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

And I just can't WOLOLOLO.

So Steam matchmaking allows you to set:
- Team size
- Game type (Random Map, Deathmatch, etc)
- Civ

Pretty much every texture in the game is modifiable, and it's hooked seamlessly into Steam workshop. I can't wait for the Alpha Centauri TC.

Palm trees still too small. :smith:

Multiplayer max pop cap of 500, with settings all the way from 75 to 500. Probably 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, etc etc etc.

Multimonitor support. UI stretches across all monitors to balance larger view distance.

Daut vs Viper show matches starting/on March 28th. They're two big names in AoE2 competitive, if you give a poo poo.

And now Kingdom of Heaven is on so someone else is going to have to tell you the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The rate of mouse-clicking that I hear in this stream is big-time turning me off towards buying this, or at least even playing mutliplayer :(

• Locked thread