Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Gobbeldygook posted:

I need some orbweavers for a bio research project and I'd really like to pay less than $21.50 per spider before shipping the bio supply company charges. I'd like to use european garden spiders, but I don't have the budget to be picky about the species as long as they are all the same species. They can't be any smaller than the european garden spider (6.5-20mm females, 5.5-13mm males) because I will be offering them precisely-measured drops of water to drink and there's a lower limit to how small a drop I can offer.

I don't need them for six weeks. I'm in St. Louis. Is there any chance I'll find some for sale at a pet store or locate a local breeder? Given how cold it is around here, how good are my chances of finding some wild live ones?

How many do you need? Most American orb weavers die once the weather gets cold, so you're not going to find any wild ones in St. Louis in January. Suggestions:

1. Contact the St. Louis Zoo and see if their insect building has any. If not, check with Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo or the Cincinnati Zoo. I know Omaha usually has Nephila on display and has bred them in the past. They are also pretty lax about their inventory of invertebrates, so they may just give you some if they have a surplus. Cincinnati, on the other hand, takes their bugs very seriously so you may strike out with them. One of the Chicago zoos might have them too, but I don't know who you'd contact. You'd have to pick them up, but you wouldn't have to worry about your spiders being shipped during a polar vortex.

2. Go somewhere that you can find wild spiders! The Florida Keys are only a 20-hour drive. There are Argiope and Nephila all over the place down there, even in January. Depending on how many spiders you need, this may end up being cheaper than buying them, even with the gas money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread