Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I need some orbweavers for a bio research project and I'd really like to pay less than $21.50 per spider before shipping the bio supply company charges. I'd like to use european garden spiders, but I don't have the budget to be picky about the species as long as they are all the same species. They can't be any smaller than the european garden spider (6.5-20mm females, 5.5-13mm males) because I will be offering them precisely-measured drops of water to drink and there's a lower limit to how small a drop I can offer.

I don't need them for six weeks. I'm in St. Louis. Is there any chance I'll find some for sale at a pet store or locate a local breeder? Given how cold it is around here, how good are my chances of finding some wild live ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Saturniid19 posted:

How many do you need? Most American orb weavers die once the weather gets cold, so you're not going to find any wild ones in St. Louis in January. Suggestions:

I totally forgot to get back to you. Your advice was interesting, possibly helpful, and ultimately wasted on me as the project was spiked for a half-dozen different reasons.
---
Search is down and I couldn't find the critter quest thread manually, so I come here. I caught this one a few weeks ago, but decided to kill it and take pictures after finding one in my bedsheets today. Despite that I was bitten on the hand while sleeping a few weeks ago and have a little scar to show for it, I am willing to live and let live as long as they aren't extremely venomous and stay the gently caress out of my bed. I live in St. Louis, MO and the only kinda-dangerous species of spider it can convince myself at 4 AM that it could be would be brown widow. While I'm kind of curious what it is I really just want to hear "nope not dangerous at all carry on citizen".

Remnants of the web; I just sprayed raid directly into the mason jar when it made a dash for freedom.

• Locked thread