Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know about giant millipedes here? I've been interested in them since I would like a low energy pet, and the food and care requirements seem interesting enough. Before I think about getting one, I have a question about the substrate though.

A lot of the websites that I read all say to change the substrate that millipede lives on at least once a week. However to me, I think the cost of replacing the recommended substrate mixes every week would be expensive. Potting soil is kinda pricey to be using it to fill up a 10 gallon aquarium, only to be tossing it out, and unable to reuse it again for the millipede.

I was wondering if I could use soil and leaf litter from outdoors, maybe if I freeze/heat it in order to kill off any lingering organisms inside, for a millipede? Couldn't I also bring in fresh leaves from some of the trees I have? I was happy to hear that giant millipedes enjoy oak leaves since I have one in my front yard.

I'm very new to the idea of invertebrates, and am not sure what goes into the process of cleaning their habitat. Any advice will be very appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread