Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
Hey, guys, I love this thread and all the great info and pics therein! I've had an Emperor scorpion since December of 2012, so for about five months now. I keep him(?) in a twenty gallon long tank with plenty of burrows/hiding places and keep the tank at about 75-80 degrees and anywhere from 75 to 85 percent humididty. He's got lots of natural, live moss to keep the humidity, plenty of substrate to burrow, and a small Exo-Terra waterfall feature for his water/climbing needs. He's been eating fairly regularly up until a couple weeks ago. Since then, he's been hiding in his burrow (an Exo-Terra magnetic rock den) and refusing food. I've been assuming he's been prepping up to molt, but when he emerged yesterday, he was missing a leg and had not molted. I looked all over for the missing appendage, but it was nowhere to be found. I realize that, without pictures, the advice you guys have may be limited, but is there anything you can tell me that might shed some light on this mystery? Is there anything I can do to improve his quality of life or make the habitat safer? Will he grow his leg back? To clarify, he doesn't seem to be wounded, just missing the leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
There was one rather large cricket in there at the time. When I discovered the missing leg, I immediately removed the cricket. Again, I looked all over the hab for the leg, but found nothing. Is it possible the cricket ate the leg entirely? Seems unlikely, but I don't know. I don't have any idea how old the scorpion (Bartleby) is, and neither would the shop-keeps. He's about four inches from claw to curve of tail, so I don't think he's fully grown, yet. But, I've had him for a little over five months now and no molt. Should I be more worried?

• Locked thread