Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Reposting from the last thread:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've been considering getting an Emperor Scorpion after seeing (and holding) one at the Venom exhibit that's being hosted at the Niagara butterfly conservatory. I've read the basic care guide on Arachnoboards and did some googling and they seem like they're relatively easy to take care of (The one that I held was incredibly docile). Are they "safe" for a first time scorpion owner? I don't mind being stung but I don't want to accidentally kill one because they're finicky or something.

*Edit* I'm also wondering the same thing about Chilean Rose Tarantulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
That's good to hear. I'll definitely read more on caring for tarantulas and scorpions bwfore I get one.

Now I just have to find a dealer or a good shop. A few of the pet shops near me have inverts for sale but I have no idea if they're properly labelled and/or properly taken care of.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Look a sunflower posted:

Wish I had this thread a year ago!

Last march my boyfriend and I bought two L3 Idolomantis diabolica, the Giant Devil's Flower Mantis.

We chose that species for its insanely cool threat display, which we were lucky (unlucky?) enough to see a few times (we never harassed them of course, but they hated us coming in the tank to remove old fly cups or put new ones in). The truly amazing colors only showed up in the adult form, but after they mated and the new L1s hatched, it was the most precious thing ever to watch the babies try to intimidate each other by lifting their arms up and swaying :3:

That sounds absolutely adorable. Do you happen to have any photos?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
That's some nice frigging art. Especially the tarantula shirt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
So I got a Chilean Rose today.

Sorry about the poor image quality.

Not sure about the sex yet. The employee at the store didn't know. I'll let it get settled in before sexing it. I set up the tank according to The Tarantula Keeper's Guide and Shultz's care sheet. She seems to be very docile.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I finally have a decent picture of my G. rosea, whom I have named Ziggy.

Gonna let it settle in before I try sexing and/or handling them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Pseudoscorpions are so cool. They're tiny dust mite eating friends!

I've heard that you can leave a damp towel in a dry part of your basement to attract them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I'm not sure if this is the right place to mention it but a pet shop near me is closing. All of their inverts are 50% off and if any goons are in or near the Mississauga area it might be worth checking out. Their site is Here. It's where I got my G. rosea.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Guess who got a second tarantula today? (Don't guess, it was me)

I got a Ephebopus murinus (Skeleton tarantula). I'm not sure of the sex (I suspect male, though it lacks the boxing glove pedipalps) but it is gorgeous and seems to be taking to its new home pretty well. I gave it a similar setup to my G. rosea and I'm letting it settle into its home before I start feeding it. Have I made a grave mistake? It didn't reared or other seemed agressive/'upset' when I moved it into the proper tank.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Sir Azrael posted:

E. murinus likes:

- High humidity
- Lots of substrate to burrow
- Heavily webbing the entrance to its burrow
- Having urticating hairs on its pedipalps

Big Centipede posted:

I've never had an E. murinus, but I've had a few E.cyanognathus before and I kept them quite a bit more humid than a rosie would like.

Here's a caresheet

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?157418-Blue-Fang-Care-Sheet

edit: oh yeah.... you were talking about E. murinus

http://atshq.org/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23511

Thanks. I guess I'll get to work on setting up a basic burrow.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
It's too bad that Millipedes cannot be legally possessed in Canada. They seem like great invertebrate pets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
My G rosea hasn't burrowed the entire time I've had her. She's dug out he hide and sat in it but that's about it.

My E murinus on the other hand has been burrowing like a champ. Every time I look at its tank it's either just sitting near its hide or digging.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Is it possible for crickets to be too small for a t? After a local pet shop closed I can't find anywhere that sells crickets bigger than 3/4" and my Ts seem to be ignoring them. I'm not worried yet but I want to be sure that I'll have access to large enough crickets in the future.

Also, I think my G. rosea is molting. Last night she was in the upside-down molting pose, though today she was rightside up again. Is this something else I should be worried about? I don't think she molted over the last 10~ hours but she wasn't in a death curl or anything and was walking around just fine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Big Centipede posted:

If she's preparing to molt it's important to leave her alone as much as possible. Make sure to remove all prey items as well.

She has indeed molted. I checked up on her and she's out of her old exoskeleton. I can also now confirm that she's a she.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
It's pretty, that's for sure.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
It turns out that my Ts love hornworms. I've never seen them grab something so fast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Caterpillers are pretty much completely adorable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I wish millipedes were legal to keep as pets in Canada. They look really cute.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Yeesh. Scientists can be dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
She's really pretty.

Question: Does anyone here have experience with baby scorpions? A loval shop has some adian bark/forest (can't remember which) scorpions for sale and one of them is carrying around some babies. Am I dumb for wanting them? I have to imagine that they're a lot of work

• Locked thread