Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
Really excited about this invertebrate threat!

Earlier this month I received some cecropia moth eggs :neckbeard: and I’m eager to share.

Order: Lepidoptera (Moths, butterflies, skippers, etc.)
Family: Saturniidae (Silk Moths)
Hyalophora cecropia, Linnaeus 1758

Cecropia moths are a fairly common species in the North America, these individuals are from the Midwest. They’re well known for the gorgeous coloration of adults. They’re among the largest moths in North America with a wingspan of 4.25 – 6 in (110 - 150 cm). The only, obvious, physical difference between the sexes are the plumose antennae of the males. These sensitive antennae allow the males to detect female sex pheromone from miles away.

Please excuse this terrible phone pic.

But my favorites are the caterpillars! The larvae go through 5 larval instars (growing phase between molts). The 4th instar is spectacular; a plump green hotdog with a series of spiky red and yellow knobs running down its back (I’ll post pictures of these in a few weeks).

I’ve been feeding them silver maple leaves but I’ve tried a few others and they seem to be big fans of black cherry leaves. (Host range includes: dogwood, poplar, cherries, box elder, buckthorn, larch, apple, hawthorn, birch, elderberry, silver maple, alder, willow, privet and peony)

The 1st instar caterpillars were about the size of long grain rice and all black.

They’re currently in 2nd instar. The largest is about the size of a Good n’ Plenty and they now have yellow bodies with black spots and projections.

I’ll try to take pictures of all of the instars and eventually the cocoons to share their progress.

Bouseman, J. K. and J. G. Sternburg. 2002. Field Guide to Silkmoths of Illinois. pp. 69-74. Illinois Natural History Survey, Champaign, IL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
That cinnabar moth is beautiful, I've never seen a tiger moth like that. Looked up the caterpillars and they're really cute too!

Pardalis posted:

I also just got a dermestarium and have started cleaning bones. I will snap some pics once I get it set up...outside. They are cleaning a quail for me right now.

That's awesome. One of my friends set up something similar in her backyard and got great results. I think she ended up with carrion beetles and a few other critters along the way but totally worth it; the deer and opossum skulls looked great.

Scarlet Hawthorne
Jul 12, 2013
The cecropia caterpillars have finally molted to 3rd instar! Here are a few pics:

Love all of the knobs and spikes on these guys. I think this is one of my favorite caterpillar pictures so far.

In this pic two are in 3rd instar and one the one in the center is still in 2nd. Late bloomer.

• Locked thread