Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Scarf posted:

So I gave the guy $50, and got this:

Ridgid TS24121

For $50 that is a loving steal. Nice find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Noodlers Ink Creaper Fountain Pen
£12.50

Caran d'Ache Frosty Mechanical Pencil - Marine Blue
£4.75

Hopefully this fountain pen is good, the cheap ones I tend buy leak and break way too easily.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bucket Joneses posted:

For $50 that is a loving steal. Nice find.

Thanks, yeah, I really have no real reason to own a table saw, but I'd have to pay that exact same price just to rent one... So why the hell not?

It needs some cleaning up and WD-40 on some of the adjustment controls, but the blade spins free and fast.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

A Sloth posted:

Hopefully this fountain pen is good, the cheap ones I tend buy leak and break way too easily.

At least in Europe you can actually get a cheap fountain pen. Here the only option you'll find in a store is the Pilot Varsity. The only inexpensive proper option is the Lamy Safari.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
These pens are actually an American brand! I couldn't find a decent European manufactured pen that was cheap enough for me that wouldn't need a converter, so I got that one. Most of the colours I wanted where out of a stock though.

http://noodlersink.com/

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

My new joystick.

A little late here, but:

E-SPORTS! :haw:

Nonetheless, nice stick. I wish I had a multi-PCB for mine, but I barely go to tourneys anyway these days.

As for content: this album right here, because I can't get enough of that weird Reznor business:

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Mar 14, 2013

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
^^^i got this album recently. It's fantastic. ^^^

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I bought these:

To do a better job of painting this once I've done a better job of sanding it:

Not pictured: Sandpaper.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

I was determined for my Halloween plans to NOT fall into pieces like it did last year, so this year I did some early costume shopping! It's a bit tight on me, but not so tight my gut pokes out or anything. The only thing I'm worried about is the flimsy pants, which probably can easily be replaced by white jeans or something.

Can't wait until I get my keyboard out of storage and rock out "My Road My Journey" hnnng

I had a pleasant lunch today as well.

Kaskitew has a new favorite as of 02:33 on Mar 14, 2013

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'd also recommend Sunshine if you are looking for a great "demo" blu-ray, you can just turn it off 2/3rds of the way through if you are one of those heathens that hates the final act. You'll still love the visuals.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

strangemusic posted:

A little late here, but:

E-SPORTS! :haw:

Nonetheless, nice stick. I wish I had a multi-PCB for mine, but I barely go to tourneys anyway these days.

MadCatz had a sale on their TE sticks a couple weeks ago, and that was the only one that didn't have a clear body. So E-SPORTS it is!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

A lovely set of Jacques Cousteau books for $1 each. I love Half Price Books.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Some AKG k44 headphones. I know they're not great but I needed a new set quick and I got them for $15

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

kzin602 posted:

My boyfriend has been going crazy trying to get a pair just like that, after the ones he got in France finally wore out. Did you get those online?

Or the brand name so we can try to find them.

Columbia Capris from Amazon.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I Before E posted:

What's in those, scorpions?
They look like props of one of the collectibles in Just Cause 2. That's or they're bags of cocaine.

woot fatigue posted:

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex
This thing right here is a drat good printer. Wireless networking is a pain in the dick to set up though so I've just used a wired connection. If I ever get a print server set up maybe I'll bother with it then.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Getting my afrobeat on.

Gramps the Vamp has a Goon involved. Get it here, it's name your own price.

http://grampsthevamp.bandcamp.com/album/villains

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

woot fatigue posted:

Alvin Draft/Matic 0.3mm drafting pencil

Rotring 600 0.7mm drafting pencil (Greatest pencil in the world. Hopefully this one won't get stolen or broken like the last two.)

I love these. I've got two Alvins and one Rotring 600. The Rotring is just super awesome, it feels so good to work with it. It truly is a marvel of pencilmanship. I love the aesthetic of the Leroy system tip.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Just picked this up at the local Tokyu Hands. I love it.

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Hellbeard posted:

I love these. I've got two Alvins and one Rotring 600. The Rotring is just super awesome, it feels so good to work with it. It truly is a marvel of pencilmanship. I love the aesthetic of the Leroy system tip.

Glad to see so much Rotring love in the new thread already. I recently received a Rotring 800 0.5mm in black that I never want to leave my side. I had a 600 in the past but it was swiped/walked off with, plan on being a little more defensive of this one.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I've been using the same Staedler Mars Micro 0.7 for about 20 years. I had 0.3 and 0.5 but both of those have been mislaid over the years. I have a Rotring Tikky II 0.35 I bought in university as well but I've never really got on with it, which is probably why I haven't had a chance to lose it yet.

Laser Cow has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Mar 14, 2013

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

David Mountford posted:

Glad to see so much Rotring love in the new thread already. I recently received a Rotring 800 0.5mm in black that I never want to leave my side. I had a 600 in the past but it was swiped/walked off with, plan on being a little more defensive of this one.

I guard my pencils like a hawk. I keep them inside a special pencil case and never lend them to anyone. If I take them out of the case I promptly put them back in as soon as I'm not using them.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Just bought these for gigs but not sure if I'm going to use them or not. Still need to get a mixer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Just pre-ordered this:

Still had ~$60 in an Amazon Gift Certificate, so I sprung for the fancy edition (but not the super-fancy edition with the statue thing.)

Please don't suck :ohdear:

raven4267
May 7, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

Brother HL-2270DW Compact Laser Printer with Wireless Networking and Duplex

Brother printers are the poo poo. I just picked up a HL-5450DN the other day and I am in love with this printer. This one does not have wireless, but that is not a big deal to me. After spending years messing around with junk HP inkjets, this printer is a dream to use. I also grabbed a high yield 8000 page toner cartridge to go with it.

raven4267 has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 14, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Nthing the "Brother printers are great" sentiment. I picked up a 2270D (same as the one woot fatigue bought but without the wireless networking capabilites) about this time last year for $68 on sale. Granted I don't print a ton but I have yet to run out of the sample toner cartridge it came with and it hasn't given me any trouble yet.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

This thing right here is a drat good printer. Wireless networking is a pain in the dick to set up though so I've just used a wired connection. If I ever get a print server set up maybe I'll bother with it then.

All I had to do was download the wireless setup wizard and give it a run and it was good to go. I did it on a Mac, if that makes any difference. I used to have an old Microtek scanner and HP inkjet hooked up to a 2004 Powerbook G4 1.33ghz that acted as a print server. After replacing the hard drive a year ago the motherboard finally bit the dust so I used it as an excuse to update (the scanner software only worked up to OSX version 10.4...). I paid only $78 for the printer and $80 for the scanner, which is about what I would've paid for a set of inkjet cartridges.

App13 posted:

Just picked this up at the local Tokyu Hands. I love it.

I've got one of those in my Amazon cart. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with the Safari in graphite with a black clip, or the Al-Star in aluminum with black clip.

David Mountford posted:

I really wish the 800 didn't have gold accents.

Back in high school, around 1999, I somehow ended up with a Levenger catalog. This was during the time when Rotring had been taken over by Sanford. They were still manufactured in Germany, but Sanford changed the design of the 600 series to have a standard tapered tip and a smooth grip instead of knurled. Levenger had some exclusive deal at the time where they could still get the original design. I was taking a lot of drafting and art classes that year and had to have them. I ended up getting a case with the 0.35, 0.5, and 0.7 pencils along with the fountain pen for Christmas. Within the first two weeks some kid tried using the 0.35 and snapped the tip. This was before they offered replacement tips, so that one was shot. About a week later another kid with severe anger issues crushed the fountain pen in a shop vice. At some point towards the end of the year the remaining two were stolen from my backpack in the library.

Rotring stopped importing to the U.S sometime around 2000. In 2003 I managed to find a ballpoint 600 in the revised, tapered and smooth-grip version with the "lava" finish. I used that for a few years until a friend's fiancee who didn't like me stole it from the college darkroom and made a Myspace page for it to torment me. I only figured out it was her about eight years later from a mutual friend. This was after I shot their wedding for free, gave them a slightly used snowblower and television, and let them borrow my Porsche for their honeymoon. She's ugly and they have five kids and are stuck taking senior portraits and pics of babies, so whatever.

Anyways, for the past decade the prices for new-old-stock Rotrings in the U.S. skyrocketed. Pencils and ballpoints for $150, rollerballs and fountains for $250-$500. Needless to say, I never got around to replacing them and if I still had them today I'd have a seriously valuable set of writing instruments. Fast-forward to the past couple years and Rotring has been bought out again, this time by a Japanese company. The Japanese, known for their love of fine writing instruments, improved on the 600's German design, giving it a full-metal lead tube and tighter fit and finish. They also offer much needed grip+lead sleeve replacements for about $11. The 600 series can now be imported from Japan for around $35 in 0.35, 0.5, 0.7, and 2.0mm pencil variations in either silver or black. Unfortunately they no longer offer the 0.9mm pencil or ballpoint, rollerball, and fountain pens (I really, really want another fountain pen...).

So I picked up the 0.7mm version, but right now instead of getting a full set of 600s I'm going for a mix of all of the iconic/interesting drafting pencil designs. Right now I have the Alvin Draft/Matic 0.3mm, Pentel Graphgear 500 0.5mm, Lamy Scribble 3.5mm, and Ohto Super Promecha 1509P 0.9mm. I'm also looking for a well-designed, refillable felt-tip pen.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

1950s Palisander end table. Almost matches our 1950s coffee table (both from Norwegian factories with very similar styles). Wood is a little lighter in this one though. Wonderful grain, shame they can't make furniture in this anymore.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
You motherfuckers are going to get me hooked on mechanical pencils. They're my favorite writing and drawing instruments because 1) I'm a lefty so no smearing, and 2) they just feel better to write with (for me at least). Coincidentally, I was about to ask for recommendations on mechanical pencils since I feel like I'd like to graduate from the $2 BiCs I buy for school. So good timing, guys!

As for pens, I'm content with Pilot Precise V7's and/or JetStreams. I have neither the patience nor dexterity to make a fountain pen worth my time or money.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Laser Cow posted:

1950s Palisander end table. Almost matches our 1950s coffee table (both from Norwegian factories with very similar styles). Wood is a little lighter in this one though. Wonderful grain, shame they can't make furniture in this anymore.

Great looking table. Everything I have that's palisander actually looks a bit lighter than that even. Such a nicely figured wood.

They still make furniture like that - it's pricy, but available.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

woot fatigue posted:

They still make furniture like that - it's pricy, but available.

I wasn't aware of that, either way I'm pretty happy with it for 100 dollars.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
I just got me some kickass BlueBuds X from Jaybird:

These things have the strongest signal I've ever seen from a Bluetooth headset AND they're liquipelled for sweat/water proofness, so they will serve me well while running.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Butt Savage posted:

You motherfuckers are going to get me hooked on mechanical pencils. They're my favorite writing and drawing instruments because 1) I'm a lefty so no smearing, and 2) they just feel better to write with (for me at least). Coincidentally, I was about to ask for recommendations on mechanical pencils since I feel like I'd like to graduate from the $2 BiCs I buy for school. So good timing, guys!

As for pens, I'm content with Pilot Precise V7's and/or JetStreams. I have neither the patience nor dexterity to make a fountain pen worth my time or money.

FYI: MassDrop.com has the Rotring 800 for $45 right now.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

A sample of this showed up in my Birchbox this week and I really like it. It's Swiss Army Forest by Victorinox.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

plainswalker75 posted:

These things have the strongest signal I've ever seen from a Bluetooth headset AND they're liquipelled for sweat/water proofness, so they will serve me well while running.

:stare: ...but are they worth $170?

Rabid Snowman
Nov 15, 2005

I'll take any mothafucker's money if he given it away!

plainswalker75 posted:

What kind of battery life have you been getting on them?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Got drunk last night and pre-ordered a pair of these:

I live in Baltimore, and slapping the state flag on everything is kind of a local tradition. It's a cool-looking flag.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I can't decide if this was a good purchase or not. It's adorable and totally the sort of thing I'd use, but I think it might make me look like a 10 year old. I'll definitely remove the little keychain thing.

e: link

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
To my shame, I haven't yet gotten around to reading:

So I decided to rectify that with a visit to my awesome local used book and record store (the owner has the single friendliest dog in the world. Every time I go in, he greets me at the door and follows me around for pets :3:). My copy is in nicer shape than the one in this pic, but it's the same edition. Can't wait to dig in.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Geoj posted:

:stare: ...but are they worth $170?

You can almost always find a coupon code, but even at full price they're worth it. Best headphones I've ever owned (and I've had many a set).

Edit: I've gotten at LEAST 8 hours from mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I finally got a job so I rewarded myself. :swoon:

Bigger here

(It's a bandana!)

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 05:09 on Mar 15, 2013

• Locked thread