Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

the kawaiiest posted:

e: yes, I know, I have terrible taste in music.

Coincidentally, I just got this to replace an old and busted copy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

strangemusic posted:

"Gradient" is less sexy and has one too many syllables, it won't sell to the critical post-tween millennial demographic.

Also it would continually get spelled "gradiant".

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Just got one of these for my mother, who just got a smartphone for the first time in her late 60's. It's actually rather nice and I'm thinking about getting one for myself, too, since I'm sort of an old fogey myself.

They also have an adapter for hooking it up to a PC for Skype/Google Voice/whatever, and a cradle. Now if they just made some sort of Model 2500 adapter...

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

overdesigned posted:

I am to the point in my life where I kind of actually need an attache/briefcase to carry documents and professional poo poo so hey I bought one:

(It is a Samsonite Delegate II)

That is a drat fine briefcase. How much did you pay for it?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

My wife's been wanting one of these fancy Japanese rice cookers for a long time, and we're finally replacing one of those crappy $30 models since it finally died.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

With the weather being goddamn crazy this year and me living just on the edge of tornado country, I finally got one of these based on recommendations from the weatherpocalypse thread.

Heresiarch has a new favorite as of 05:57 on May 17, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Miss Kalle posted:

(only got the Joseph stockings, the Caesar ones will more than likely be bought at a later date)

Wait wait wait. Are those Jojo's Bizarre Adventure branded women's stockings?

I knew the series was popular with women but I had no idea.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I have some psychological issues which don't respond well to medication, and one of the alternative things we're trying is light therapy. I tend to hermit in dark rooms a lot, so I just got one of these.

So far I'm very impressed. The build quality is great and when I had a weird problem with the charging process, I called their support line and got an immediate fix. It's got a two-hour battery in it and the timer defaults to half-hour sessions, so theoretically I can take it somewhere and use it for a few days even if I forget the charger. It generates no heat to speak of, so I can put it pretty much anywhere, and it's very directional so it doesn't annoy my wife if I use it around her.

It's not helping a lot with the brain problems, but I've been using it for about a week now and for the first time in a very, very long time I'm managing to stay on a daylight schedule reliably. This is a really big deal for me, and may make it possible to make it to things like CBT sessions which were very difficult to do before.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

KimT posted:

I'm confused, it's a light that can make you feel good? I've never heard of this before, is that really possible? :psyduck:

Yes, light therapy is a real thing. It's primarily used to treat seasonal affective disorder, is sometimes useful for other sorts of depression, and can have a quite dramatic effect on one's circadian rhythm.

The guys who make these devices obviously oversell this sort of thing quite a bit, but depending on the person light therapy can be very helpful. In my case, we were hoping that it might help with some psychological issues, but at the very least it's helping me maintain a daylight schedule.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

How exactly do you guys use those things?

Simply use it in the morning or do you have it on all day at work or something like that? How do you know how long/when you're supposed to use it for?

Generally it's a thirty-minute session when you get up if you're trying to treat SAD or other mood and energy problems, or at some other time of day if you're trying to alter an existing sleep schedule. The guys who make mine advertise it for use by people with highly variable work schedules or who fly to different time zones a lot, because you can use it to adjust your sleeping patterns faster than you might otherwise.

Mine has timer settings for 15, 30, 45, and 60 minutes. The half-hour setting is the default and it's what is usually prescribed by doctors; my doc had no idea if this was going to help or not so we're just sort of winging it.

You can read the manual for my lamp here, and it goes into some detail about how it's supposed to be used. Again, it oversells its effectiveness but there's nothing in it that's actually wrong. It's not alt-med woo bullshit or something.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

OMGLOLetcetc posted:

Does....does that plug into a computer?

USB is rapidly becoming a standard for battery charging.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Varaani posted:

I bought this wireless keyboard for my Samsung Smart-tv, which turned out to be a huge mistake. First, it cost 40€ where I bought it, second, it only works on the web browser, and third, the web browser throws the on-screen keyboard every time I write something. Well, I can still hook it up to my computer and connect it to my tv.

I'm using this exact model for an HTPC and it's really good.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

I was craving asian snacks tonight:

I used to eat the hell out of these things back in my shameful Japanophile youth. They are awful but in one of those "I can't stop eating these" ways.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I just had a massive, catastrophic hardware failure, and I've rethought everything because I no longer find working on computer poo poo nearly as interesting as I used to. Standalone NAS boxes have made leaps and bounds recently, so I went ahead and got one of these.

File and application server, and I barely have to do any of the work setting it up. Using the hard drive from the old server (which is one of the things that didn't actually die), and will probably add more space to it later.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

A 10kmah external battery charger thingie for my wife, who is paranoid about running out of juice while on the road:

And for me, the new(er) translation of Roadside Picnic, one of the best Russian SF novels ever written (and the inspiration for the movie "Stalker", which was the inspiration for the "S.T.A.L.K.E.R." games).

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I don't normally do pre-orders this early but Del Toro said there's going to be about half an hour of extra footage and hilarious amounts of making-of stuff on the blu-ray, so welp. (Movie poster since the actual blu-ray cover isn't available yet.)

Also, because I love the artists who Del Toro works with, the artbook.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I was given a Nexus 4 as a gift last month, so now it's time to start taking better care of it.

One of the most recommended cases:

And one of the most recommended screen protectors.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I bought them locally so I could try them on, but these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever bought. I'm doing a hell of a lot of walking these days so I figured I'd finally get the right tool for the job.

It's been years since I owned anything even partially made of proper leather so now I need to learn how to take care of them properly.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

Two books :woop:

Just in case this is your first Banks novel, this is widely considered to be the weakest of the Culture books. If you come out of it unimpressed, most Banks fans will agree with you, but it shouldn't put you off the series completely. At the very least try Use of Weapons as well.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I picked up a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables a while back on somebody's recommendation, and they are so much better than any other brand I've ever used. I used to have to recharge the batteries for my wireless keyboard about once a week; the Eneloop AAs that came pre-charged have lasted about three months and I haven't had to replace them yet.

My mother always has this giant pile of the cheapest batteries she can find at the grocery store, so I just ordered her this for a Christmas gift so she can stop doing that.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

My wife and I are most likely going to be moving to a smaller place in about a year (better location, less square footage) and we're starting the process of shrinking our crap already. Part of that is moving to laptops and portable stuff, and away from big standalone electronics, and one thing that's going away is the dedicated Blu-Ray player. I still love optical media because streaming sites don't do DVD extras, so we got this as a replacement:

It's a slim little USB Blu-Ray drive, does reads and writes so I can also use it for backups, and only needs one USB port. It's not as quick to seek as a standalone player, but it can live in a drawer instead of requiring a table under the TV, which is going to end up hanging on a wall. A nice long HDMI cable, and we can just put a laptop on the coffee table when we want Netflix or Blu-Rays or whatever.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Tindjin posted:

Did you see this "Commercial DVD or Blu-ray movie titles won’t be played." on it? Not sure it'll play your movies with just plugging it into the usb on your tv.

I'm not plugging it into the USB on the TV. I'm plugging it into a laptop with an HDMI out.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

That is a really good cover.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Amazon had a box of the entire original Star Trek on Blu-Ray on sale today, and I just ordered it as a Christmas gift for my mother.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Just ordered this for a Christmas gift for my wife, an old-school Zelda girl who's still using a DSLite:

I think I missed an Amazon sale on this but I only just now managed to pull the funds together.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

OptimusMatrix posted:

It's whats called a Rebuildable dripping atomizer.

I think the main character in the "Lensman" books used one of these as his sidearm.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Last days of my Amazon Prime trial, gotta make it count. Now I can make mix tapes to keep in my car because I am an insufferable hipster.

Is this really a thing now?

Because I still have a high-end Onkyo dual cassette deck from my old 90's component stereo system sitting in the closet and it is in perfect condition. Do you think that somebody might actually want it now?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

The "ten-foot UI" is something that almost nobody gets right, and when they do, people are afraid to copy the good parts because of lawyers, so 90% of them are just awful.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Got this for my mom for Christmas to replace an ancient wired keyboard that was kept from a ten-year-old iMac. She can't live without a keypad, apparently, so the Apple one wouldn't work, and this way she doesn't have to replace the batteries all the time like she does with the mouse. So far it's worked out really well. The little button that tells you if it's getting enough light to charge is fantastic.

And when my wife got the flu last week, I splurged on a fancy ear thermometer because we were both really tired of the in-mouth kind.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Don't forget! If you are checking a child's temperature, gently pull the child's ear straight back. For an adult, gently pull the ear up and then back. These kind of thermometers are quite inaccurate if you don't actually aim at the typanic membrane.

Yeah, we read the instructions. Took a while to learn how to get consistent results but it's still miles ahead of oral thermometers in terms of ease of use.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

For my wife's birthday:

For me, because I'm a stupid old man and still can't stop making my own backups on optical media even though we have cloud backup subscriptions:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Wife insisted I buy stuff for myself with some money we came into, since I bought her stuff last time.

A 32GB Nexus 7

An EVGA GeForce 750Ti

and a 2TB NAS drive (currently in a desktop being used for media storage) that I don't have a good photo for.

Heresiarch has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

colas posted:

2GB NAS? That must have set you back.

My brain still lives sometime in the 90's by default.

• Locked thread