Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

McPantserton posted:

Thanks, it was my ultimate dream costume of mine for years and years. There are all these really terrible anime drawings of SoBs littered all over my mom's house that I did in high school, haha. As I begin rebuilding the whole thing from scratch I find myself really unwilling to get rid of any parts of my first version of it though, I'm really bad about hanging on to my old costumes. I have every single one I've ever made. For the last 12 years. :ohdear:

Wait, that was a real one? I thought it was a reference drawing or something! :aaa: Very nicely done!

A couple friends and I went to Magfest back in January 2013. We were going to go as a sort of modern-day 40k group because we were pressed for time, but luckily it not panning out just meant we had some 40k-themed streetclothes.

Made a glove for it, too, but I don't have any pictures of it after painting the electric tape black (Go figure that we didn't have the single most common color electric tape).

Incidentally for anyone looking to throw some lights on their costumes, five Radioshack LEDs in series require exactly 9V. I ultimately used longer wire to hide the battery holder in my sweatshirt pocket, but with this being my first electrical project outside a class, the leads weren't very well secured. Zapped myself a few times, and later had the circuit come apart and refuse to stay together, but gently caress it I wore it at one of the concerts and it was a great time.

Took a few pictures of some of the other convention-goers while I was there that'd been buried on my harddrive since:

Yes, wrong instrument, but he actually played it, and quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Neraren posted:

I will add to the love by saying seeing all the costumes here, especially the awesome ones like yours, have really been a contributing factor in making me play dress-up every year when I go to SDCC. Two years ago my brother and I went as Mario and Luigi as our first cosplay outing. Last year we went as the TV Puppet Pals Mitch and Clem from Dexter's Lab. This year I'm trying to get a Sanageyama costume made to go with his Luffy costume, so we can both go as 'monkey's. Looking at the kickass stuff people here are making themselves is really pushing me to up my game despite my lack of natural craftsmanship.

What's up Sanageyama buddy. Which version are you working on? I'm in the process of trying to craft his secret unsealed armor, first attempt at armor making so its a pretty slow trial and error process so far.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Where/how can I acquire a mechanicus hoodie?!

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

fallin1 posted:

What's up Sanageyama buddy. Which version are you working on? I'm in the process of trying to craft his secret unsealed armor, first attempt at armor making so its a pretty slow trial and error process so far.

I'm going a lot simpler, trying to get his school raid trip jersey done. I'm not a tailor myself, so I've got a few feelers out to try and find the best option. It basically has to be made from scratch since all the long green jackets I've found would be miserable to wear in middle-of-July San Diego.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

McPantserton posted:

This one:

I'm in the process of totally rebuilding it right now, there were some strange choices made in the building process for that one.

I Imagine the breastplate set him off? There seems to be a growing trend of nerds falling over themselves to roll their eyes at any hint of sexualization and "boobplate" ends more often than not as the focus. Over-sexualization in traditional game art is a real problem so being aware of it is great but it tends to come off as forced and insincere when any skin showing immediately invalidates any artistic merit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People can wear whatever the hell they like without having to conform to others' conception of video game social justice.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hremsfeld posted:

Wait, that was a real one? I thought it was a reference drawing or something! :aaa: Very nicely done!

:blush: Yeah, that's me, we did a greenscreen photoshoot with some friends.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I Imagine the breastplate set him off? There seems to be a growing trend of nerds falling over themselves to roll their eyes at any hint of sexualization and "boobplate" ends more often than not as the focus. Over-sexualization in traditional game art is a real problem so being aware of it is great but it tends to come off as forced and insincere when any skin showing immediately invalidates any artistic merit.

I was also with my bestie who went as a Sister Repentia and I think the two of us dressed as his beloved warhams was just more than he could take. I wish people would be a little more practical about women in games. I agree that oversexualization is a big problem and I'm strongly in support of expanding the range of what female characters look like but at the same time, if I want to cosplay from 40k (or many older fantasy properties), it's probably going to be sort of booby. Plus, both in terms of sculpting and for the way my body is shaped, it's soooo much easier to make booby breastplates. My new version is going to be just as busty so brace yourselves, world.

I've been following Shinju's Workshop (left) working on this Vi (League of Legends) outfit with some jealousy, it's what I'm hoping to do after I finish my new 40k stuff and her whole thing turned out so beautifully! I have ideas for moving pressure gauges for mine. Would be so excellent.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

McPantserton posted:

:blush: Yeah, that's me, we did a greenscreen photoshoot with some friends.

I was also with my bestie who went as a Sister Repentia and I think the two of us dressed as his beloved warhams was just more than he could take. I wish people would be a little more practical about women in games. I agree that oversexualization is a big problem and I'm strongly in support of expanding the range of what female characters look like but at the same time, if I want to cosplay from 40k (or many older fantasy properties), it's probably going to be sort of booby. Plus, both in terms of sculpting and for the way my body is shaped, it's soooo much easier to make booby breastplates. My new version is going to be just as busty so brace yourselves, world.

This whole last page or so really puts a face on why cosplayers cosplay, and it looks like amazing fun. Congratulations!

Edit- Come to think of it, I'd love to have the time and expertise to make a good Cmdr. Shepard suit and guns... but I'd have no place to wear it and none of my friends would "get" it.

burnsep has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McPantserton posted:

Should have just put your chainsword through the nerd for questioning the Emperor's wardrobe department.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The space marine suit must really suck for seeing where the hell you are going. Hopefully everyone gives a wide berth to a huge bright blue costume.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Trast posted:

Should have just put your chainsword through the nerd for questioning the Emperor's wardrobe department.

I know nothing about space marine game--is this a euphemism or is it safe to take it literally

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I know nothing about space marine game--is this a euphemism or is it safe to take it literally

They hold a quite literal giant sword with a chainsaw built into it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It's literally a chainsaw sword. McPantserton and her friend are holding different styles of them. WH40k is metal as gently caress sometimes. :black101:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
If you have to ask that question about W40K, the answer is probably yes.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Speaking of chainswords...

Caiaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium! His man-thing Ferik Jurgen! And a fair tech priest of the Imperium! :black101:

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Baron Snow posted:

Caiaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium! His man-thing Ferik Jurgen! And a fair tech priest of the Imperium! :black101:

Did Jurgen develop an accurate smell as the convention wore on?

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
McPansterton you should do a Marauder outfit. More room for padding and a full helmet!

Alternative option: Play as Kerrigan and just "read" peoples minds.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Captain Capacitor posted:

McPansterton you should do a Marauder outfit. More room for padding and a full helmet!

Alternative option: Play as Kerrigan and just "read" peoples minds.

Our original plan was actually to do a variety of different suit types, I wanted to be infested and add all kinds of gnarly poo poo to my suit. Then we realized that building one style of space marine armor was perhaps a big enough project for a 3 month span. :downs:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have never seen someone hold a gun so awkwardly before. :laffo:

Decrepus has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Apr 29, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Trast posted:

It's literally a chainsaw sword. McPantserton and her friend are holding different styles of them. WH40k is metal as gently caress. :black101:

FTFY.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Xun posted:

Where/how can I acquire a mechanicus hoodie?!

I made a rough how-to over in the cosplay creation thread. I'm glad I kept the photos I took while I was making it, as limited as they are.

Decrepus posted:

I have never seen someone hold a gun so awkwardly before. :laffo:

I guess they wanted to show off their handiwork? I didn't ask about their form.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Looks like she built it with the trigger guard up against the pistol grip part of the stock so that she can't get any support fingers behind it. It's a great prop besides that oversight though.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

I wish I could have seen this in person. Commissar Cain is by far the most wonderful character in Warhammer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dogan posted:

I wish I could have seen this in person. Commissar Cain is by far the most wonderful character in Warhammer

If not for the likes of Commander Boreale, then yes.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Really more of an Eisenhorn girl, myself.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Arcsquad12 posted:

But, but haven't you seen the posters of Cain's daring heroism?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hremsfeld posted:

I made a rough how-to over in the cosplay creation thread. I'm glad I kept the photos I took while I was making it, as limited as they are.

Thanks! That's awesome man, gotta start practicing how to draw some regular gears.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uh... Jinkies?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Say Nothing posted:

Uh... Jinkies?

Why are we posting images of Katie Perry?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

LingcodKilla posted:

Why are we posting images of Katie Perry?

That's David Mitchell

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress David Mitchell.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Say Nothing posted:

gently caress David Mitchell.

Why do we hate David Mitchell?

Also my friend made me marathon Daria recently and I hope my Jane cosplay comes out looking as good as that one.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Its a hilarious meme in PYF to identify every vaguely familiar male face as David Mitchell.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why do we hate David Mitchell?

Saying that random people look like David Mitchell is an awkward, forced forums in-joke that has long overstayed its welcome, and lots of people are sick of it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The author or the comedian?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

The author or the comedian?
Yes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Mitchell_(comedian)#Publications

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But not Dame Nellie Melba's father, who was also called David Mitchell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

McPantserton posted:

Really more of an Eisenhorn girl, myself.

I keep saying if HBO wants something violent and grim dark they should just make an Eisenhorn mini series. Considering how cool you and your friends outfits turn out imagine working with that kind of budget.

• Locked thread