Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
nthing the "do whatever you want to do and gently caress the haters". There are some gorgeous ball dress type costumes out there which will work on pretty much any body type even if it's not strictly "accurate", I've seen some lovely larger-lady cosplays of the Rose Bride dress and other Utena ball gowns among others.

I'm a pretty fat chick and the costume I'm planning for this weekend could be described as "ill advised" but gently caress it, I wanna do it so I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Kwyndig posted:

That is some nice GARO cosplay there. I bet that armor is uncomfortable as hell though.

I can't be certain, but I THINK it's made of a semi-flexible foam covered with high shine reflective vinyl type fabric, so it's probably not all that bad, it would be hot as hell but reasonably light weight and non pinchy.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Everyone knows if you want a massive prop you can just put a motor in it

(it's built on an electric go-kart and can indeed be driven around)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
That's not a Skeksis

THIS

is a Skeksis

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not a costume maker, but would those toy "claw" extension hands where your fingers pulling the handle make the robot hand fingers tighten work as a frame to build the longer arms around?

Something like this is what I'm talking about. There may be more sophisticated models out there.

Interestingly, the Skeksis I posted has an extended arm (the left arm, which is "live", whereas the right arm you see resting on the belly is dead since the performer has his right hand in the head). It's not made from a toy one but it does use the same principles, it's built on custom made plastic jointed bones attached to a plastic "palm" which itself slots onto a fibreglass rod, with a load of strapping around the lower arm of the performer and a pistol type grip, and with a plastic ring around each of his finger so the individual fingers of the costume hand can be controlled separately

It works on something like a Skeksis because the billowing robes hide the actual positions of his real arms; in fact, there are fibreglass and foam fake arms inside the sleeves to show an outline under the folds.

On something like Sauron you won't be able to do these fake arm bones because his armour is very form fitting. As someone else suggested, your options are to build up the shoulders and make a hat-head, have arm extensions with the wearers hands in the elbow, or have arm extensions with the wearers hands somewhere in the lower arm. My approach would be a combination, I'd add maybe 6" to the shoulders to make the upper arms look longer, and 6-10" to the lower arms with extensions to make the lower arms longer, that overall gives you an extra foot of arm, you'd raise the top of the chest plate 6" and look out of the neck, and you could probably get away with up to a foot of stilting, so 6 foot dude plus stilts plus neck extension plus the fact the helmet is really tall anyway you'd hit close to 8 foot without even trying. Fortunately the robe hides the fact the knees are in totally the wrong place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vanderdeath posted:

I've lived in Atlanta for a decade now and had no idea this place existed. Thank you for this.

It looks like the Garthem Master too, who is probably the second most prominent skeksis in the movie after the Chamberlain. He's got an incredible costume with bits of insectoid carapace on his back and all sorts of poo poo going on, and a super expressive face. I imagine the head is one of the fiberglass swap outs they used for the long shots when they had little people in the puppets/costumes, the original foam latex ones will have disintegrated decades ago, that poo poo just does not last. If you look at prop sales and such even puppets/costume pieces from movies just a few years old are looking decidedly worse for wear, and a lot of older stuff is absolutely rotten and deformed if it's survived at all.

• Locked thread