Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Is that weird symbol he used for a name part of Unicode now, I wonder.

Sorta: Ƭ̵̬̊

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

stubblyhead posted:

He's still alive you know.

Yeah but he was only given that name once

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

"Kuukausi", the Finnish word for "month", is made up of the words "kuu" for "moon" and "kausi" for "season" or "period". The word literally means "moon period". Which is what months are.

I'm Finnish and apparently dumb.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Native speakers rarely give much thought to the language they speak.

My favourite example was someone making fun of Chinese for calling hippos "river horses", in apparent ignorance of how hippopotamus was derived.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My wife and I take entirely too much enjoyment from dragging words out of other languages into English.

"Do you see my other handbags? These ones don't really cover my arm necks."
"They were wet so I hung them on the loop band."

Not having children was probably a good move. Being sent home from school for being incomprehensible would probably not be good for a child's development.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Whiz Palace posted:

Native speakers rarely give much thought to the language they speak.

I wonder how many English speakers just thought about the origin of the word "month" for the first time thanks to the discussion on this page.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

flakeloaf posted:

My wife and I take entirely too much enjoyment from dragging words out of other languages into English.

My favorite is the Spanish word for peacock, pavo real, which means royal turkey.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

McPhearson posted:

My favorite is the Spanish word for peacock, pavo real, which means royal turkey.

In German, gloves are Handschuhe. Literally hand shoes. German is really a great language for descriptive and kind of amusing compound nouns like that. Diarrhea is Durchfall, or "through-fall". :haw:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I didn't "figure this out" but it was on a list of random trivia someone forwarded to me this morning.

Bananas don't grow on trees, they grown on giant herbs.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

McPhearson posted:

Even more interesting, the Latin word pavo meant "peacock". What probably happened is when the Spaniards came to the New World, they found this new bird that looked vaguely like a peacock, so they called it "pavo". Then when peacocks became known in the Americas they had to call them something else.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Silent Linguist posted:

Even more interesting, the Latin word pavo meant "peacock". What probably happened is when the Spaniards came to the New World, they found this new bird that looked vaguely like a peacock, so they called it "pavo". Then when peacocks became known in the Americas they had to call them something else.

Relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1-2Tymbu0

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

fullroundaction posted:

I didn't "figure this out" but it was on a list of random trivia someone forwarded to me this morning.

Bananas don't grow on trees, they grown on giant herbs.

I mean...this is technically true, but not in the way most people are going to think it is.

Botanically, herb has a strict meaning. From wikipedia:

quote:

A herbaceous plant (in American botanical use simply herb) is a plant that has leaves and stems that die down at the end of the growing season to the soil level. They have no persistent woody stem above ground.

So when someone says a banana plant is an herb, they're referring to this. It has absolutely no relation to culinary herbs like mint, oregano, etc..., which is just a loose culinary term for plants who's leaves are used for flavor.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I never really paid much attention to Shakira, and I'd been assuming she was dead for... years, probably. When I'd hear of her doing something, or some new song she came out with, I'd be like "oh dope" but then in the back of my mind I'd be like "man it's sad when talent dies young"

My wife's been (rightfully) giving me poo poo since we both realized how dumb I was last week

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

The word "Pattern" is descended from the same root word (Pater) as "Father," "Jupiter," "Patron," "Patriarch," ect.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Jaramin posted:

The word "Pattern" is descended from the same root word (Pater) as "Father," "Jupiter," "Patron," "Patriarch," ect.

Minor quibble, but "father" doesn't descend from "pater". They share a common ancestor.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

DrBouvenstein posted:

I mean...this is technically true, but not in the way most people are going to think it is.

Botanically, herb has a strict meaning. From wikipedia:

So when someone says a banana plant is an herb, they're referring to this. It has absolutely no relation to culinary herbs like mint, oregano, etc..., which is just a loose culinary term for plants who's leaves are used for flavor.

Yes, no poo poo (to all of this).

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

"Kuukausi", the Finnish word for "month", is made up of the words "kuu" for "moon" and "kausi" for "season" or "period". The word literally means "moon period". Which is what months are.

I'm Finnish and apparently dumb.

My fiancé is Finnish, every time she teaches me new words she surprises herself by realising what they mean in English. My favourite is the word for 'dragon', which translates roughly as 'salmon snake'. It's a fun language.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I never really paid much attention to Shakira, and I'd been assuming she was dead for... years, probably. When I'd hear of her doing something, or some new song she came out with, I'd be like "oh dope" but then in the back of my mind I'd be like "man it's sad when talent dies young"

My wife's been (rightfully) giving me poo poo since we both realized how dumb I was last week

Did you think she was undead or something?

That reminds me, one of my friends thought Shakira was black. She was thinking of Rihanna.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Were you mixing her up with Aaliyah?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Did you think she was undead or something?

Which makes this even more pertinent as she starred as the vampire in Queen of the Damned just before she died and it was released posthumously.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

In German, gloves are Handschuhe. Literally hand shoes. German is really a great language for descriptive and kind of amusing compound nouns like that. Diarrhea is Durchfall, or "through-fall". :haw:

I love German. Shield-toads.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Helith posted:

Were you mixing her up with Aaliyah?

Which makes this even more pertinent as she starred as the vampire in Queen of the Damned just before she died and it was released posthumously.

Yes and no. Like, I always knew it was Aaliyah who died in the plane crash specifically. But just in simply being dead, yeah I think so.

And I didn't think she was undead, I just never put any thought into it and either assumed it was a song recorded before she died or she was doing a Tupac or whatever, I dunno it was pretty dumb

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Creature posted:

My fiancé is Finnish, every time she teaches me new words she surprises herself by realising what they mean in English. My favourite is the word for 'dragon', which translates roughly as 'salmon snake'. It's a fun language.

Heh, yeah, that's what it'd ("lohikäärme", "lohi" = salmon and "käärme" = snake) literally translate to. I've always liked the image of that. Etymologically the word doesn't have anything to do with salmons, though (unfortunately?), and the "lohi" bit comes from somewhere else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It is reassuring to know that goons are always wrong about etymologies even when they are speaking in foreign languages.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jedit posted:

It is reassuring to know that goons are always wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yes and no. Like, I always knew it was Aaliyah who died in the plane crash specifically. But just in simply being dead, yeah I think so.

And I didn't think she was undead, I just never put any thought into it and either assumed it was a song recorded before she died or she was doing a Tupac or whatever, I dunno it was pretty dumb

Tupac is alive, though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

sassassin posted:

Tupac is alive, though.

sassassin, sweetie, we've been over this. That was a hologram.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are fish that, if you eat them, you get hallucinations. Fish.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phy posted:

Fish have had the longest to develop bizarre poisons evolution-wise so it doesn't surprise me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Which ones?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Lick a toad, eat a fish... What other animals can I get high from?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

mng posted:

Lick a toad, eat a fish... What other animals can I get high from?

Lick a slug and your tongue will go numb

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

I just realized that rankings for playing card suits are different everywhere. I thought it was the same everywhere; I never questioned it or researched it. My whole life, I've ranked the suits strongest to weakest as diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs. This was pretty much universal throughout my whole southern California school life, too, and everybody played it this way, especially during high school when the year ends and everybody just busts out packs of cards and plays pusoy dos because we've all finished our finals.

Looking it up online, not only is it different everywhere, but nobody seems to be familiar with the ranking I've been using where I live now.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I just realized that rankings for playing card suits are different everywhere. I thought it was the same everywhere; I never questioned it or researched it. My whole life, I've ranked the suits strongest to weakest as diamonds, hearts, spades, and clubs. This was pretty much universal throughout my whole southern California school life, too, and everybody played it this way, especially during high school when the year ends and everybody just busts out packs of cards and plays pusoy dos because we've all finished our finals.

Looking it up online, not only is it different everywhere, but nobody seems to be familiar with the ranking I've been using where I live now.

I grew up in the Midwest and it was always spades-hearts-diamonds-clubs.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I just figured out that card suits have power levels apparently. I've never had that issue come up while playing any card game, though it's not like I'm a professional poker player or anything.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Any ranking where the Ace of Spades isn't the highest ranked card is objectively wrong.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Yoshi Jjang posted:

It also depends on the game. The traditional Spades>Hearts>Diamonds>Clubs ranking is what's used in Bridge, and something that I thought was fairly universal.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wait till you realize that there are other suits than the French one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
None of that matters in euchre, God's one true card game.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EXAKT Science posted:

It also depends on the game. The traditional Spades>Hearts>Diamonds>Clubs ranking is what's used in Bridge, and something that I thought was fairly universal.

And then when you're playing 500, which is a derivative of Euchre and Bridge, for some reason it goes Hearts>Diamonds>Clubs>Spades. I've never played Bridge, and I thought it was universal as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I look at the column on bridge when I read the paper and it seems to be completely unfathomable gibberish.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread