Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terminal Entropy posted:

Teddy Roosevelt had a really low key soft voice for his size and activities too.

I see what you're doing here.

There are actually voice recordings of Teddy Roosevelt. Really early recordings, sure, but they exist: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/troosevelt_film/trfsnd.html

e: And apparently wax cylinder recordings had already been around for a bunch of years by the point these recordings were made! So not even really early.

Phy has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, they're just called that, we're taking no responsibility for the nasty little shitfactories.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One Swell Foop posted:

The ring shape is just a result of making a smaller 'donut-hole' type donut larger. They cook inwards from the outside, so you need a shape that minimizes the maximum distance from the 'skin' of the donut. Bagels and bundt cakes are hoop-shaped for similar reasons.

Well, poo poo man, now you got me picturing little bagel holes, all cut in half with a dab of cream cheese and a morsel of smoked salmon.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In Cycle Asylum today I learned that the German term for "glove" is "hand shoe". I know about how German nouns are agglutinative, it's just... "hand shoe" is adorable! It's like Hans the Village Dope saw a glove for the first time, and what he called it ended up being the term that stuck.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Nullarbor", as in Australia's Nullarbor Plain, isn't one of those wacky-sounding aboriginal words. It's just lovely latin for "ain't no fuckin' trees here mate".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brother Jonathan posted:

In the game Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, the expression "snake eater" comes from military slang. The Green Berets were called the "snake eaters" because of their wilderness survival training.

All this time I just thought it was another case of Hideo Kojima being weird.

Also for a bonus pun you could parse it as Snake, Eater: The game stars Naked Snake, and could be seen as being about eating just about every drat thing you can lay your hands on that doesn't speak, shoot or explode.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

It was a supergroup of days past. Jimmy Buffet joined Jefferson Time Machine and they toured but never released their album. People say they were better than you'd expect.

Goddamn, how many vehicles did Jefferson have? I knew about the airplane and the starship but this is a new one on me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elim Garak posted:

Stuff You Can't Believe You Just Figured Out III: Learning How to Pronounce Glam Rock Stage Names!

"Gary Glitter" is actually pronounced "Rotten Paederast"!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Naw, that's Central America. Completely different. :v:

E: phoque.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is John Mayer the one that was a tank commander? There's some rear end in a top hat out there with a guitar making songs that get on top 40 radio that used to be a British tank commander

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Firm could only have been improved by having more Trash Can Man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
He mentioned the Vicarius, which is the root of "vicar".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

What about bad moons? I've heard they're often on the rise.

No, no, those are bathrooms. They're on the right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was going to suggest you go to Google Mars and do that and it'd be like playing DOOM... but Google Mars doesn't have a street view.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Of course, if you want a real multi-tasker you've got to go with Sir Christopher Lee. In addition to his 300-plus screen acting credits he can speak seven languages, served with Special Forces and British Intelligence during the Second World War, judged the 1995 Miss World competition and released a heavy metal album on his 91st birthday.

When he was filming The Two Towers, he had to advise Peter Jackson on the sound a person makes when you stab them in the back of the neck. Because he actually knows what it sounds like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
And, crucially, doesn't taste much like when you buy a bunch of oranges and squeeze the juice out of them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

I always thought it was a weird choice for a stage name because Mark Vincent is a great action star name on its own.

Mark Vincent can't be anagrammed to "I end lives". :colbert:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

leidend posted:

At least in Vancouver it's grandfathered in. Montreal is removing all old ones by 2020.

We're also outlawing round door knobs because they aren't senior citizen friendly. This is something I just found out.

The senior citizen lobby is secretly controlled by velociraptors.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I just learned today that there are people who wash meat before cooking it. They even wash ground meat. Bizarre.

I'll wash a steak if I drop it on the floor before I can cook it. gently caress you, floor, you're not taking a steak from me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

Where I'm from we call 'em Holey Bowleys.

How is England this time of year

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

For this very reason, I point this out to my kids and they always go, "oh yeah!" But then move on cause they don't really care at that age. Watching Chuck has ruined Tangled. :(

I've never seen Tangled, is Adam Baldwin Rapunzel?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

Speech bubble: "Well that's expensive!"

Maito = Milk
Kyyttö = Rare Finnish cattle breed
Kyy = Viper

Kyytön maito = Kyyttö's milk
Kyytön maito = Viperless milk

I'd like to get more Fingerpori in my life but the newspaper comics thread in BSS moves so fuckin' fast

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ron MacLean:

is being replaced as host of Hockey Night in Canada by George Stroumbolopoulos

Today I learned that Ron is only 53, and Strombo's 41. Which, I guess my shock is an artifact of when I grew up. Strombo was a VJ on Muchmusic when I was a teen, when Ron had already been on HNIC for like ever.

I also learned that Greek names aren't spelled the way I think they ought to be.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

I went to IMDB to see if you were full of poo poo and a few seconds later I realized that I was an idiot because it's not like THE SHARK would have a headshot and its name on the list of actors.

But then I thought about WHAT IF IT DID and cracked myself up.

The hanging meat from Rocky had an action figure.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

I just discovered that the company I work for invented the Three Wolf Moon shirt.

In related dumb amazon memey news, apparently Tuscan Whole Milk isn't from Tuscany. Instead it's from Brooklyn.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

I spent a year in Albuquerque with an out of state ID. Buying sudafed involved fingerprinting and a cavity search.

How are they about drugs with phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

She didn't specify movie theatre, did she? I always thought it was at a musical or a play or an opera or something.

A movie theatre BJ is significantly less classy, really.

The opera beej is truly the classiest of the furtive beejes. All top hats and silk gloves.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Charles Manson is still alive. I thought he died in prison; maybe I was conflating him with Jeffrey Dahmer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Istari posted:

Blue jays are freaking huge. I always thought they were red-breasted robin-sized.

European or American robin? Because American robins are in the thrush family, and they're about the same size as a blue jay.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Istari posted:

I've known my whole life that a kitchen bench that is not attached to other benches is called a Kitchen Island.
Thing I just figured out: a kitchen bench that sticks out from other benches is called a Kitchen Peninsula.

If you have two or more islands in your kitchen (and if you do, gently caress off you rich bastard), is it a Kitchen Archipelago?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
John Hammond would never have put feathered raptors on the main island in Jurassic Park. No audience in 1993 is going to pay to see a six foot turkey. They were genetically engineered all to hell anyway, so he could have tweaked them until they reliably came out of the egg looking "right" - as naked and scaley as a monitor lizard - and put those on the main site. The duds with feathers got tucked away on the B site at Isla Sorna.

(Of course the real reason is that the people making the movie didn't know better back then, or if they did, figured no paying audience would want to see a six foot turkey...)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also, you drive on a parkway, and park in a driveway! Aaah? AAAAH?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Sanrio's Shocking Reveal: Hello Kitty Is NOT A Cat.

Although apparently they've later claimed that that was misinterpreted, saying that Hello Kitty is not a cat in the same way that Mickey Mouse is not a mouse, which makes no sense to me because Mickey Mouse very clearly is a mouse and no one denies this. Except for the people behind Hello Kitty, I guess.

Mickey is a cartoon mouse, not the kind of mouse that lives in your walls and shits in your sugar bowl. Bugs Bunny is a cartoon rabbit, not the kind of rabbit that gets messily torn apart by combine harvesters. Why can't hello kitty be a cartoon cat and still not be the kind of cat that puts its rear end in a top hat in your face and pukes in your shoe. Why does this have to be difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are fish that, if you eat them, you get hallucinations. Fish.

• Locked thread