Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

AlistairCookie posted:

I was a teenager before I figured out that reindeer are real animals. I always figured since they went with Santa, they were imaginary.

Yes, I know that makes me sound hopelessly stupid.

You'll be more surprised to learn that they are completely and utterly loving delicious. Eat a reindeer ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

orthodoxy ortho(true/right/correct) + doxy (belief/opinion)

Led me to realize:

orthodontics (correct tooth)
orthopedics (correct child)

and so on

Bro, orthopaedic/orthopedic is "correct foot", not "correct child".

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Should have fact checked that. I'm an idiot.

Despite being concerned primarily with adults, and often adults with foot problems, orthopedic does actually mean correct child. This is particularly embarrassing because I want to be an orthopedic surgeon in the next couple of years and never thought about how loving stupid the etymology is.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

New people who have never read this thread need to do so, its one of the funniest things ever on the forums.

I hadn't seen that, but it's pretty hilarious. Was that the same guy who did all of the Pillow Modding posts?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Holy poo poo I hadn't made that connection before. She and her stupid ukelele were so cute.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Captain Trips posted:

I carry a pocketknife that used to belong to my grandpa. It's a Barlow, probably 50 years old.

Istari posted:

I have my great-aunt's wedding ring. She was married before the Second World War, so it's at least that old.

The Mentalizer posted:

I have (and occasionally wear) the silver ID style bracelet that my grandmother gave to my grandfather before he went off to WW2 in the Army Air Corps. It has the insignia on the front plus a special inscription from her on the back. I'm at work otherwise I'd post a picture, but it's about 73 years old at this point I believe and still in excellent shape.

AlbieQuirky posted:

My wedding rings are 90 years old (they were my husband's great-greataunt's).
I just figured out that there are multiple posters that think anyone gives a poo poo about the age of their possessions. Congrats on your pointless oneupmanship.

Today I found out that tanks were originally developed by the British navy, which is why we use ship terminology like "hull" and "turret".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Iggy Azalea is white and Australian. She's also less fancy than pop radio had led me to believe.

• Locked thread