Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Crack posted:

What are bachelor meals? I ask here because I've been eating basically takeaways and pasta (and stealing housemates leftovers) for the last month and the fridge is small and 1/2 filled with beer, between 4 of us living here thats not a lot of space left for food. And GWS intimidates me.

So as a poster in this thread what do you eat on a daily basis? preferably without hours of supervision or stir every 5 minutes for half an hour poo poo.

Sandwiches of all varieties
Ramen, but throw in some veg, meat, and/or an egg
Macaroni & cheese but throw in meat
Steak, just don't ask how to cook it
Any meat with a bit of seasoning on it in a crock pot
Anything you can cook in beer, mostly sausages
Loaded baked potato
and Beans and rice

Also Sriracha, BBQ or HP sauce has to be included in all of them for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
My white rice technique (works with basmati, jasmine, whatever medium or long grain rice, probably some short grain too) is to boil stock (or water I guess), add rice, bring to a boil, and cover. Reduce heat, come back in 10 minutes, and remove it from the heat (still covered). Sit around for 10-15 minutes, and you have perfect rice. No effort, stirring, or other stuff.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Just buy a rice cooker. You can steam veggies and even cook raw meat while you make your rice. No joke, throw raw pieces of chicken or beef in with rice at the top of the cook (small pieces), and it'll be cooked right along with the rest. Also I'm phone posting, but there's a thread in GWS about poor people cooking.

If you're buying chicken pieces instead of roasting entire chickens, you getting ripped off, son.

ed: also, get a meat injector. Make your own marinades. Vegetable oil or butter for the base, then just go loving bonkers with spices. I pumped a chicken full of hot sauce last night before cooking and it's incredible.

Pharmaskittle has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Nov 7, 2014

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pharmaskittle posted:

If you're buying chicken pieces instead of roasting entire chickens, you getting ripped off, son.

Unless you're buying the big loving bags of chicken breasts from costco. Costco is THE most bachelor place to shop for food because it's the lowest effort. Giant bags of everything means less shopping.

And the savings are loving stupid in comparison to other grocery stores. Just gotta find the room in the beer fridge.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Bachelor rice:

Put 1/2 cup of rice into nonstick pot. Put 1 cup of water into pot. Add salt and oil. Bring to boil. Boil until water is just above rice. Place tight fitting lid over pot, reduce to simmer. Simmer for ten minutes. Done.
Secret bachelor trick: once rice is cooked via above method, add canned soup to rice and return to boil. Once bubbles form (or once whole mixture is hot to touch), you are ready to eat dinner for less than $1.50.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Unless you're buying the big loving bags of chicken breasts from costco. Costco is THE most bachelor place to shop for food because it's the lowest effort. Giant bags of everything means less shopping.

And the savings are loving stupid in comparison to other grocery stores. Just gotta find the room in the beer fridge.

Yeah, bulk stores rule. All I've got in my area is a Sam's Club, and I don't have a membership. There's a cool local grocery that sells everything at cost +10% though, so they're cool and let me support a local joint.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I'm lazy, student poor and vegetarianish, so I make nachos (plate with chips, add cheese, siracha sauce, vegetables, put in microwave for 30~40 seconds), burritos (rice, baked beans from a can, cheese, siracha, vegetables, wrap in tortilla, microwave) and that's pretty much it for actually effort food.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
My go-to bachelor meal is stir fry. Put a pot of rice on the stove, chop up veggies and whatever (I typically just go with onions, broccoli, and tofu), heat up a pan with a little oil, then throw your stuff in. Add some soy sauce in the middle, and then once it's cooked dump your stir fry on the rice that has conveniently finished at the same time. It's pretty much always delicious, and you can pretty much throw whatever ingredients you have into it.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
OK thanks that's a lot of good suggestions. Will my 2 yr old 25 kilo bag of brown rice still be good? it smells OK.

I'm not going to buy a rice cooker and I broke the meat injector (dissolved the plunger while doing some chemistry) so while thanks for the suggestions I am too poor. Luckily have a crock pot and some pans though!

Will cooking sausages in beer corrode my cast iron pan?

Jewcoon posted:

I'm lazy, student poor and vegetarianish, so I make nachos (plate with chips, add cheese, siracha sauce, vegetables, put in microwave for 30~40 seconds), burritos (rice, baked beans from a can, cheese, siracha, vegetables, wrap in tortilla, microwave) and that's pretty much it for actually effort food.

What vegetables do you use? I can't think of that many that cook in 40 seconds in the microwave. This seems like something I will end up eating a lot of when I'm running low on food as I'm too lazy to go to the store to buy more for as long as possible and most of those ingredients are non perishable.

Seems like rice and anything is a good fit. Gonna make some chili on the weekend though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Eggs. I keep some onions, garlic, and peppers around almost constantly and eat shitloads of eggs. Put a little oil in your cast iron, saute your chopped veggies with salt, pepper, cumin, maybe some cayenne, add some eggs and scramble it all together in the pan, add cheese and cover. Meanwhile, warm up a tortilla. Put the eggy cheesy veggie stuff in the warm tortilla and consume. No plate needed, and cleaning cast iron is hella easy. The whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes, give or take.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Phthisis posted:

My go-to bachelor meal is stir fry. Put a pot of rice on the stove, chop up veggies and whatever (I typically just go with onions, broccoli, and tofu), heat up a pan with a little oil, then throw your stuff in. Add some soy sauce in the middle, and then once it's cooked dump your stir fry on the rice that has conveniently finished at the same time. It's pretty much always delicious, and you can pretty much throw whatever ingredients you have into it.

I do the same thing (usually Onion, carrots, jalapeno, broccoli, summer squash, meat) but I toss the rice into the skillet when its done, add a bit more oil, and add spices. Then cook for a few more minutes. Substitute Ramen noodles for the rice to change it up a bit.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Crack posted:

What vegetables do you use? I can't think of that many that cook in 40 seconds in the microwave. This seems like something I will end up eating a lot of when I'm running low on food as I'm too lazy to go to the store to buy more for as long as possible and most of those ingredients are non perishable.

Seems like rice and anything is a good fit. Gonna make some chili on the weekend though.

Mostly just green peppers. Not really cooking the vegetables per se, really its just melting the cheese and making it all warm.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Eggs. I keep some onions, garlic, and peppers around almost constantly and eat shitloads of eggs. Put a little oil in your cast iron, saute your chopped veggies with salt, pepper, cumin, maybe some cayenne, add some eggs and scramble it all together in the pan, add cheese and cover. Meanwhile, warm up a tortilla. Put the eggy cheesy veggie stuff in the warm tortilla and consume. No plate needed, and cleaning cast iron is hella easy. The whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes, give or take.

Does sound pretty delicious. I'm actually really tempted to just buy some paper plates and plastic forks because they are cheap and I really dislike cleaning plates.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Crack posted:

Does sound pretty delicious. I'm actually really tempted to just buy some paper plates and plastic forks because they are cheap and I really dislike cleaning plates.

Thats all I use, solo cups too. Also eat out of the pan you cook in as much as possible.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The only drawback to my cheap new place is the lack of dishwasher. I'm tempted every day to use paper plates, but have held out so far.

Make fried rice. You should be making rice all the time anyway since it's so cheap. After it's been in the fridge a day or two (if you're impatient, throw it in the freezer for an hour and it'll be almost as good), put it in a pan on high heat with your high smoke point oil of choice, chicken, green onions, eggs, and frozen peas. Cover liberally with soy sauce while cooking. That's literally it. Now you have restaurant-quality fried rice.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
My current go to easy meal is Corned Beef Hash, real simple just chop up some potatoes pretty small and drop em in boiling water for 7-8 minutes, whilst thats boiling chop up an onion and some corned beef, drain the potatoes and dump the lot into a frying pan with olive oil and a bit of butter.
Season with salt and pepper and use a spatula to chop up/part-mash the potatoes and mix everything together.

Eat straight from the pan to avoid having another plate to clean.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Making a giant batch of chili in the crockpot and freezing the leftovers has been a sanity saver for me. I kind of hate eating the same leftovers for three days in a row, so I freeze it so that when I come home from a 14 hour day of work and I don't want to cook or eat a sandwich, I can throw a brick of frozen chili in the microwave and chug a beer while it defrosts.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The advantages of being a bachelor: head to my regular bar at midnight, have two slow drinks until they close at one, get two more free from the staff while you shoot the poo poo over a couple smokes until the staff leaves at half two.

No one back home to complain. It helps to be self employed and working from home.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Let me tell you the best frozen food - burritos. Get tortillas, cook up your meat and veggies how you like, fold it up, and throw it in the freezer. I do them a dozen at a time and they last like, months. They're a great backup food for someone who usually cooks but sometimes can't be bothered, because they're always there. I will advise that you either put them in separate microwavable containers or use wax paper in your ziplocs, because they will absolutely stick together.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I need a roommate who can cook.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Decrepus posted:

I need a roommate who can cook.

Slow cooker. Smells better than the average roommate too.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Poached fish. Grab a pack of your favorite frozen fish filets (tilapia or whatever enormous bag you find at costco). Also a big bag of frozen veggies (you should have these anyway since they are amazing). Optionally defrost and season with salt pepper olive oil whatever. Wrap it in tin foil with the veggies on top. Cook at 350 for 15-20m. Unwrap, eat.

Seriously the most healthy and fast meal I know of. Tasty, too. Works with virtually every fish and veggie combo so mix it up. I really like salmon or tilapia and broccoli or asparagus. If you use fresh veggies, defrost the fish otherwise one will be cooked and the other won't.

Bhodi has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Nov 7, 2014

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just made a bachelor salad to use up some supplies that were getting a bit old. Avocado halves with tomato wedges topped with diced red onion :v:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/New_Orleans_style_Red_Beans_and_Rice

I smash out this fucker out every single week and I always cream my pants from deliciousness every time. Get on it, chums.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Crack posted:

Will cooking sausages in beer corrode my cast iron pan?

Depends on how seasoned your cast iron pan is. If it's relatively new, the beer might strip off an initial layer, but that's nothing a little oil and heat can't fix. Go forth, and be educated: http://bloodymarykitchen.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/seasonings-greetings-yes-we-pan/

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Arrath posted:

I just made a bachelor salad to use up some supplies that were getting a bit old. Avocado halves with tomato wedges topped with diced red onion :v:

that is not a salad, it is guacamole.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bhodi posted:

Poached fish. Grab a pack of your favorite frozen fish filets (tilapia or whatever enormous bag you find at costco). Also a big bag of frozen veggies (you should have these anyway since they are amazing). Optionally defrost and season with salt pepper olive oil whatever. Wrap it in tin foil with the veggies on top. Cook at 350 for 15-20m. Unwrap, eat.

Seriously the most healthy and fast meal I know of. Tasty, too. Works with virtually every fish and veggie combo so mix it up. I really like salmon or tilapia and broccoli or asparagus. If you use fresh veggies, defrost the fish otherwise one will be cooked and the other won't.

Real bachelors don't use that babby word: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zester-daily/stop-saying-veggies-veget_b_3356939.html

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Saturday hang out is up! https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g2rjpc4ikqnwy3iol3emfucg3ua

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh my god. Thanks for that red bean recipie. That looks incredible.

Opabinia
Dec 21, 2011

Your Burgess Shale buddy!

Can I say veg? Or greens?

*Edit*

Have any Canadians tried Growers Saskatoon Cider? It's so good.

Opabinia has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Nov 9, 2014

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Fry some ground beef in a frying pan until it starts to get some color.
Add strained tomatoes
Add a bunch of spices (chilli powder and black ground pepper are what I use, mostly)
Stir every couple of minutes until you get really bored.
Serve with spaghetti.

I use enough beef to fill the pan and then one package box thingy of tomato goo (I think it's 400 grams) and that lasts for like four meals or something. It's all very precise, as you might be able to tell.

Other people add onions and stuff to the meat sauce but I find that to be way too much shopping and fridge space and effort.

Man with Hat has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Nov 10, 2014

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
As I just moved and I've been without a fridge for the last week, and will continue to be until Wednesday. I do however have several coolers, and a chest freezer and a bunch of ice packs. So until that glorious metal box arrives, I've been swapping out ice packs every 8 hours in my coolers to keep the beer and pizza leftovers cold.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Man with Hat posted:

Fry some ground beef in a frying pan until it starts to get some color.
Add strained tomatoes
Add a bunch of spices (chilli powder and black ground pepper are what I use, mostly)
Stir every couple of minutes until you get really bored.
Serve with spaghetti.

I use enough beef to fill the pan and then one package box thingy of tomato goo (I think it's 400 grams) and that lasts for like four meals or something. It's all very precise, as you might be able to tell.

Other people add onions and stuff to the meat sauce but I find that to be way too much shopping and fridge space and effort.

Buy one leek. Slice most of it and fry it with the meat, toss the leftovers. No fridge space used, and it adds a bit of onion-like character. As a bonus, you can pretend you're being healthy - it's technically a fresh green vegetable.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
One binder clip + one blanket = one warm cape to cover your hideous body during the Dark Season.

Edit: can you seriously not cancel a reply in in Awful App? This app is awful!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Uh, "discard message" is on the same popup menu as "post reply".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Splizwarf posted:

Uh, "discard message" is on the same popup menu as "post reply".

Reading is hard for goons.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

One binder clip + one blanket = one warm cape to cover your hideous body during the Dark Season.

Edit: can you seriously not cancel a reply in in Awful App? This app is awful!

The... back button. Works.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The... back button. Works.

Nah, that saves a draft, so next time you reply in that thread it takes a moment to load whatever you did or didn't type, then asks if you want to keep it. Which is why Discard is the superior option.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Computer viking posted:

Nah, that saves a draft, so next time you reply in that thread it takes a moment to load whatever you did or didn't type, then asks if you want to keep it. Which is why Discard is the superior option.

Oh no I wasted literally two seconds doing this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

pandaK posted:

Oh no I wasted literally two seconds doing this

Bachelor Thread is all about min/maxing and efficiency in all walks of life.

• Locked thread