Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have built bookshelves out of old desktop computers, oscilloscopes, and 2x12s. Works quite nicely, for the record.

I also built a temporary workbench (in my master bedroom) out of two old radiators and a bit of kitchen countertop when I was mid-demolition on remodeling several rooms and my truck's transfer case broke. Built workbench, rebuilt transfer case in bedroom, fixed truck, continued demolition/remodeling.

Snowbanks on flat roofs outside windows make great beer chillers. I don't recommend sloped roofs - if you don't check the weather and all the snow melts overnight due to a rainstorm or something, your beers end up on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

schwenz posted:

Tomorrow's pay-day, so last night I went scavenging for dinner in the backs of the cupboards.

Found a can of black beans and half a pack of Taco seasoning.

What's bachelor is how drat EXCITED I was bout that find.

I once ate a box of Cheez-Its for dinner the night before payday.

I also work from home, and fold out the futon by my desk for stealth naps the day after a night going out, since the phone will wake me up when I have to be an actual human and do my job.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Mar 14, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Protip: for snowbeers on a sloped roof, use a wire basket hooked to the windowframe. Set it out when you are expecting snow, or leave it out for the season.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If you have to get a soup can open and don't even have a knife (get a pocket knife or multitool already), find a flat concrete surface or cinder block to rub the can on. Set the can upside-down on the surface and rub in small circles until you see a small amount of liquid start to escape, then turn the can back over and pull the top off. It only takes around 30 seconds to wear through the seam that holds things together.

If you don't like to shave with your pocket knife like I do, get a piece of canvas or something to strop your disposable blades on after each use. Even a scrap from some old jeans works okay. They'll last several times longer.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Mar 14, 2013

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
My desk is a guitar case on top of a desktop computer and a box. It's a great setup because when I need more space, it can quickly be moved and reassembled in under a minute. I used to have a proper desk, but it took up too much space. This one is set up to the right of my chair and gives me a place to rest my arm and use a wireless mouse with a laptop on my lap.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

willus posted:

I do have to say, an awful lot of the posts in these threads have been "I live in an absolute mess but it's okay because I can still find things!" My room used to be a loving heap until about a week ago where I, on impulse, decided to go through about a year's worth of accumulated things and throw out everything that was unnecessary. I have to say, it's actually had a really good effect on my mental state. Living in a clean room is fantastic if you're feeling depressed about whatever, don't abandon it in pursuit of lazy/bachelorness.

Uhh...

Anyway the most bachelor thing I've ever done is, well, nothing in particular. Basically everything I do is p. f'in' 'chellor. I have 40+ missed calls on my phone spanning 3 weeks. I bet probably 30 or so of those are from my parents, but I don't know for sure. You see, I want to return the calls and maybe phone one of my friends to come round and watch me speedrun Super Mario RPG, but there is no way of getting to the phone without toppling the mountain of empty jack daniel bottles that dominates the north/southwest quadrants of my living sector. To counter this, I have been piling up my empty clothes in the northeast corner of my room in an attempt to raise the ground level of my room up to the point where I will be able to step over the bottle pile without causing any major breakages. Progress is slow however as I spend very little on clothes, and I have no idea how tall the pile currently is because I smashed the 7 watt bulb of my night lamp with a tennis ball, leaving me in total darkness. I was playing fetch with the dog

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008
Pita PB&J's. All the deliciousness of a regular pb&j, but no globs of peanut butter or jelly lost, and doesn't require eating over a plate or paper towel.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

What up motherfuckers? BLAOW!!! Most Bach' thing I did today?

:coffee: BABOOYAAAAA!! No sugar, as always.

But what made this different was I've been in my underwear since noon.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

cname posted:

Page 1 and we're off to a fantastic start. Is it already time for a thread title change?

We should just start a "Post your favorite stories of abject squalor" thread already.

Edit for content:

I have saved 1 of each type of wheat beer bottle I've tried since I got into wheat beer. I don't get to do it often, but I'm up to around 20 or 30 now. I'll probably eventually cut off the labels and put them in a photo album or something, but for now they just take up space in a closet, and have survived 2 moves just chilling in a Save-A-Lot bag.

Zaekkor has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Mar 14, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

What up motherfuckers? BLAOW!!! Most Bach' thing I did today?

:coffee: BABOOYAAAAA!! No sugar, as always.

But what made this different was I've been in my underwear since noon.

Every thread man, whats your blend? I'm all up on an Ethiopian hand ground at the moment but willing to take advice from such a coffee-and-joke-smith expert such as yourself.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Obscurity posted:

We should just start a "Post your favorite stories of abject squalor" thread already.

There was a 'PYF stories of being broke' thread that may still be around. I thought the poo poo suitcase fit because it was situational.

Here are some things I've done to tolerate my bizarre basement apartment (which is super cheap, centrally-located and saves me lots of money).

The sink is directly in front of a window, so I mounted a mirror as such. The fluorescent ceiling light is too dim, so I snaked an extension cord from the one outlet in the room to the other side, where I installed a rack and a lamp.

Also, the main living area has no window except for one around the corner. Like the end of the film Legend, I have installed a system of mirrors to bring daylight into the house (the front door is so irregularly shaped and small that I can't find a cheap replacement with a window. I'm installing one at some point soon because my dad is an awesome dumpster diver and found one for me that we'll saw into shape).

There are some points with low ceiling clearance so I installed bumpers with caution tape so it wouldn't hurt so much when I hit my head.

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I once ate a box of Cheez-Its for dinner the night before payday.
That's me after payday. The yummy foods tempt me so much that first day.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I.N.R.I posted:

Uhh...

Anyway the most bachelor thing I've ever done is, well, nothing in particular. Basically everything I do is p. f'in' 'chellor. I have 40+ missed calls on my phone spanning 3 weeks. I bet probably 30 or so of those are from my parents, but I don't know for sure. You see, I want to return the calls and maybe phone one of my friends to come round and watch me speedrun Super Mario RPG, but there is no way of getting to the phone without toppling the mountain of empty jack daniel bottles that dominates the north/southwest quadrants of my living sector. To counter this, I have been piling up my empty clothes in the northeast corner of my room in an attempt to raise the ground level of my room up to the point where I will be able to step over the bottle pile without causing any major breakages. Progress is slow however as I spend very little on clothes, and I have no idea how tall the pile currently is because I smashed the 7 watt bulb of my night lamp with a tennis ball, leaving me in total darkness. I was playing fetch with the dog

Seriously, people. There is a huge difference between being bachelor and being a lazy slob.

Christ.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Seriously, people. There is a huge difference between being bachelor and being a lazy slob.

Christ.

There is a correlation, but not a complete causation.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

10 Beers posted:

Christ.

I'm naked. Constantly. As soon as I walk in my apartment after I get home from work I'm undoing my belt then taking off my pants. My shirt comes off with my backpack and I'm naked within a metre of stepping into my apartment. There is never not a moment that I'm au natural in my bachelor pad.

Laundry? Naked
Cooking? Naked.
Getting ready for work? Naked
Parents visiting? Naked
Drinking alone and crying over the crushing loneliness? Naked
Cleaning? Naked

My cat has seen my own rear end more than I have. My balls have graced every surface in my apartment. Clothes are a sin in my house and I'm the only and most pious resident there.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I am never visiting you. :zombie:

The bachelor vs. slob argument comes up in every iteration of the thread, usually several times. They are overlapping spheres: there are bachelors who are slobs, and slobs who are not bachelors. The important thing is that being a slob is awful.

A good bachelor or a good slob might open a soup can with a claw hammer, but only the slob would leave the spray from it on the walls and ceiling until they move out 4 years later. Take pride in yourself and how you live. You only get the one shot at it.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you have to get a soup can open and don't even have a knife (get a pocket knife or multitool already), find a flat concrete surface or cinder block to rub the can on. Set the can upside-down on the surface and rub in small circles until you see a small amount of liquid start to escape, then turn the can back over and pull the top off. It only takes around 30 seconds to wear through the seam that holds things together.

You can all so do this (or just use an angle grinder) on an empty 24 oz can for an emergency foil substitute to grill corn.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you don't like to shave with your pocket knife like I do, get a piece of canvas or something to strop your disposable blades on after each use. Even a scrap from some old jeans works okay. They'll last several times longer.

Apparently submerging the blade in mineral/baby oil when you're not using them will make them last super long. I haven't actually tried it myself because I've been on my last razor blade for like, two months now.

Because I shave once a week-ish.

Treguna Mekoides
Jun 17, 2008

A witch is always a lady except when circumstances dictate otherwise.
I currently sleep in the bisected front room of my apartment, because with three of us, we can afford rent in this place, and with two of us, we'd be hard up. I'm the only woman, but I'm petite, so I just hang out in the living room on my laptop with the curtain open and close it when I need to change, gently caress, etc. My only personal furniture is a hope chest, bookshelf, twin bed, and bureau. I'm super minimalist, it really doesn't bother me except when my roommates bicker. My roommates are chill dudes who use headphones and close their doors if ever I need privacy, but mostly I hang out at my girlfriend's house if we're feeling amorous. Wouldn't want to be a lovely roommate.

I also clean the most, so the floor is always mopped, the kitchen is always wiped down with bleach, and the toilets and showers are always nice, and I vacuum at least once a week. My roommates rooms look like bombs hit them, but they don't concern me. However, since no one is home today and I have pertussis, I'm hanging out playing Steam games on an ancient loaner desktop, formerly my roommate's, with a CRT monitor on the kitchen table. Because gently caress it, it can go back in the closet when I'm done.

I am the most bachelorette. It's me. When I graduate next quarter, I'll move out and give a drat. Until then....

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think I've worn anything more than a poncho + boxers inside my own house for the entire time I've lived here.

A poncho is, I feel, a suitable compromise between my distaste for wearing clothing indoors and my roommate's desires to not see me naked all day long. Since I only have to maneuver enough to get my head through the one hole, it's not quite as onerous a chore as say, pants.

Most bachelor thing I will do today: give in to the lure of the three-dollar sixpacks the local gas station is trying to get rid of, seal my doom.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Told a woman at the grocery store checkout line, who was hysterically crying into her phone for 15 minutes (in regards to how the stylist "hosed up her hair"), to shut the gently caress up. She did, and I got a couple thank-yous from other customers.

Rather than actually "washing" my dishes I just soaked them in rubbing alcohol overnight. Also my bong.

Avoided paying for heat in my first apartment by running hot water (for free) nonstop through a salvaged car radiator and put a box fan behind it. Ever the conservationist, I actually USED the wastewater mostly.

Chased a cat around the house with a remote controlled helicopter.

We had "egg toss Mondays" at my old place. Basically, any time on Monday you could toss an egg to a roomate and if they failed to catch it they had to clean up the mess. Rules: 1) had to make eye contact before tossing 2) had to be a catchable without breaking the egg. If that wasn't bachelor enough, we often used rotten eggs. Out of the hundreds thrown, only a few were ever not caught or dropped. Mondays were NOT a good day to get drunk and just chill in the living room.

Need a knife but they're all dirty? No problem - plenty of empty beer cans and a tinsnips.

Scissors: Pizza-cutting implement of the 21st century.

Allowed a wasp nest to grow to amazing size in my screened in front porch. I never used the front door anyway and lived in a rough part of town so I figured it'd work as a theft deterrent (it seems it did).

Used beer boxes to black out windows.

Turned off the heat in the house, opened the doors, and hauled enough snow inside to turn the stairs into a mini skihill in order to test my new ski boards.

Threw flaming paper airplanes at my roomates indoors.

Drew a dartboard on the wall and played with steel tipped darts.

Filled dollar-store squirtguns with piss and handed them out at a show for a band who stole a bottle of vodka while staying at my place overnight.

Farted on a dog.

Built a "catapault trap" that would fling squirrels who took the bait into the neighbor's yard.

Built a motor scooter in my kitchen.

Found a "nest" of baby rabbits in my yard. They were fed to my roomate's pet snake over the next few weeks.

Used aerosol + lighter as a pest removal tool on many occasions.

*Shaved an 8 year old's head with a straight razor. This was my stepson, while I was married, and might not count as a result. She was absolutely horrified I'd shaved her son's beautiful hair. He absolutely loved having a shaved head.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I recognise your username but I'm not sure where from.

There are a couple of these I'd be calling bullshit on, but I obviously remember you for a reason, and that reason might have been your craziness.

Also anyone not using scissors for pizza is making a serious mistake.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's not 50 Foot Ant, so there's that.

It is ant related though. I still want to read the rest of that ant story :allears:

As for bachelor things, tomorrow I am going to make myself some barstools out of the bases from some old desk chairs and a few bucket seats out of a car I parted out. Also, I have a pair of bench seats out of my old fullsize van as couches in my spare bedroom - they're incredibly comfortable, if a little too short to sleep on.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah, of course, the ant story. I remember now. Yeah, I can believe it.

I decided to make pasta in my rice cooker for old times' sake (I am no longer a bachelor). I'm sure that one goon who seemed surprised must have been being sarcastic. It is even easier than I remember, with more time to get the pasta al-dente than in a pan. Fried onions in it to start and everything.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I just sold my vaguely-sporty car and bought a minivan/station wagon thing to replace it. A lot of the motivation for the switch was being able to remove the rear two rows of seats, then crash in the back (see: futon) after a night of drinking in Fukuoka rather than pay for a hotel or have to catch the last train home at 11:15. I used to keep a sleeping bag in the trunk of my old car for crashing at friends' places so this is really just an evolution of that practice.

As an aside, last time I crashed at my friends' place in Fukuoka (he's since moved away) his roommate came home incoherent-drunk and peed on me, or rather the blanket that was covering me while I slept.

So yeah, sleeping in the back of my van sounds nice.

I also work from home, and fold out the futon by my desk for stealth naps the day after a night going out, since the phone will wake me up when I have to be an actual human and do my job.

I had a "work from home" day last week and did exactly that. (Japanese style futon that I normally sleep on and not a foldy couch).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Successfully bayoneted a mouse with a Mosin-Nagant M44.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don't feel like buying a bed (and haven't had one since last May) so I went to a camping store and bought a $100 hammock and put it up in my room. :effort:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

I don't feel like buying a bed (and haven't had one since last May) so I went to a camping store and bought a $100 hammock and put it up in my room. :effort:

I once slept on a couch for 3 months because I didn't have a bed.

Now I sleep on a couch because I live by myself and can conk out in front of some Law and Order. I don't know if that's really bachelor or really sad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I don't know if that's really bachelor or really sad.

Same thing really.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I think for me there are two mindsets behind "bachelor" things.

Firstly, there's "Nobody else but me lives here so it doesn't matter"
That gets us things like stacks of boxes and clothes, letting your nuts swing free, and sleeping on the sofa.

The second is "If I had a wife she wouldn't let me get away with this half-assed job"
Covers things like shelves made out of computer towers, plumbing fixed MacGuyver-style with toilet roll tubes, or generating electricity from a waterfall/waterwheel down the staircase because water is a fixed rate regardless of usage.

The first is Slob territory, the second is Lifehack territory, so for me "bachelor" would be the middle ground between the two.

Obviously there is a lot of overlap, especially with things like cooking - did you invent new one-pot dishes because you can't be bothered to wash up or go to the store, or because you are a poor bachelor who only owns one pan and every food item you own is tinned or frozen? I think both qualify. Are tactically-timed poo poo-and-shower routines a clever saving on bog roll or just the height of laziness? It's not so much "a thin line between the two" as "a foot in each camp"

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

simplefish posted:

I think for me there are two mindsets behind "bachelor" things.

Firstly, there's "Nobody else but me lives here so it doesn't matter"
That gets us things like stacks of boxes and clothes, letting your nuts swing free, and sleeping on the sofa.

The second is "If I had a wife she wouldn't let me get away with this half-assed job"
Covers things like shelves made out of computer towers, plumbing fixed MacGuyver-style with toilet roll tubes, or generating electricity from a waterfall/waterwheel down the staircase because water is a fixed rate regardless of usage.

The first is Slob territory, the second is Lifehack territory, so for me "bachelor" would be the middle ground between the two.

Obviously there is a lot of overlap, especially with things like cooking - did you invent new one-pot dishes because you can't be bothered to wash up or go to the store, or because you are a poor bachelor who only owns one pan and every food item you own is tinned or frozen? I think both qualify. Are tactically-timed poo poo-and-shower routines a clever saving on bog roll or just the height of laziness? It's not so much "a thin line between the two" as "a foot in each camp"

Good loving show Goon sir

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

In the winter, shower with the bathroom door open so you don't want to run the humidifier as much. Win/win, at first I was worried about excess moisture/humidity but it clears up within a few minutes of turning the water off.

I.N.R.I posted:

Uhh...

I have come to expect better trolling from people who have been such active posters here :cheeky:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I once slept on a couch for 3 months because I didn't have a bed.

Now I sleep on a couch because I live by myself and can conk out in front of some Law and Order. I don't know if that's really bachelor or really sad.

I did the same thing but for a year. Now I have a nice queen size memory foam mattress and I still sleep on the couch a lot falling asleep watching The Wire. I also play with legos while watching it. Its bad cause my couch is incredibly broken and my bed is brand new and super awesome.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

chaniara posted:

Pita PB&J's. All the deliciousness of a regular pb&j, but no globs of peanut butter or jelly lost, and doesn't require eating over a plate or paper towel.

That's not just bachelor. That's SPACE bachelor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZx0RIV0wss

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Ha, the speed limit signs are great.

Space Bachelors indeed. Astronauts are basically high all the time.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Yesterday I was at my friends house and sat around sketching, after a while I wanted a tracing table to re-do parts of a drawing, so I put my iPhone with the LED on facing upwards on the shelve under the glass table, problem solved.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

kastein posted:

I have come to expect better trolling from people who have been such active posters here :cheeky:

He has been here too long. First were hostile shitposts. Now fake earnesty in hyperbolic situations. Soon will come ironic unirony and new sincerity. Eventually the humor will wane and the posts about cats will become serious. Time spent away from his homeland has made him forget his culture. Everything known and loved will seem alien. What was once a reply of "friend of the family death" will be a heartfelt message of unity and prosperity. Humor will disappear entirely and be replaced with humdrum posts in the Facebook status thread or the yospos cats thread. Threads will be made that are loved by all and sent to the goldmine after a hundred pages. He is no longer what he once was. Now, he is GBS.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Bought a little bag o' rice. Didn't want it spilling everywhere in the cupboard. Solution: Empty rum bottle. Captain Morgan's Spiced Rice.
e: Ain't even gotta scoop that poo poo. Just pour it out.

Great Horny Toads! has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 15, 2013

Fenchurch
Feb 25, 2011
I have converted my roommate to the way of nachos for dinner, nachos for breakfast, nachos for lunch. The salsa counts as a vegetable, dammit!
We each have a fry pan on the stove at all times - her's is an actual cast iron skillet, mine is a 15 year old hand-me-down formerly nonstick pan with no teflon left on it. Haven't died yet.
The only dishes I've washed in a week are coffee cups.
When dinner is not nachos, dinner is Subway. When dinner is not Subway or nachos, there is no dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fenchurch posted:

I have converted my roommate to the way of nachos for dinner, nachos for breakfast, nachos for lunch. The salsa counts as a vegetable, dammit!
We each have a fry pan on the stove at all times - her's is an actual cast iron skillet, mine is a 15 year old hand-me-down formerly nonstick pan with no teflon left on it. Haven't died yet.
The only dishes I've washed in a week are coffee cups.
When dinner is not nachos, dinner is Subway. When dinner is not Subway or nachos, there is no dinner.

The pizza place near me has a 2-for-tuesday thing, where if I buy a pizza with toppings I get a free cheese pizza. On broker weeks, I can get by for like 5 days on 25 dollars with that deal.

• Locked thread