Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, this is basically a stripped-down more action oriented Super Robot Wars in all the ways that count. I had fun with it. Zone of Enders as a franchise has been kind of dead for a while now, frankly I think making an appearance in Super Robot Wars would be good for it. It's Earth vs. Space dichotomy, cool giant robots, and overall weirdness would make a good fit for that series.

As for the anime there was actually a prequel One-Shot OVA about the first orbital frame along with a 26 episode anime. From what I've heard neither were anything to write home about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

mkwong98 posted:

Winkysoft developed the game, so it is no wonder they copied the system from SRW.

Oh those dudes. Well that would explain why the system is like SRW but barer and with fewer good bells and whistles if it was made by the people behind the creation of the old Masoukishin game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TheBystander posted:

And this is how you can tell the game was made by the same team that made the old SRWs. Thank god this is not longer a problem.

Thank god for carry-over upgrades and refunds huh? I remember back when OG Gaiden was about to be released and Terada, the director himself, came out and advised people of the one notable mech that didn't carryover upgrades.

Also I keep reading Razma as Ramza. It makes me wonder what kind of mech he'd pilot.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Glazius posted:

Did they ever take this more active targeting/dodging system into an SRW game? It's certainly an interesting attempt to merge the two games and their genres.

No they haven't. SRW has occasionally used some interesting systems where you can attack the body parts of enemy robots to cripple them or make positioning have greater effects in combat but they haven't done action sequences. The best you'd probably get are the ACE (Another Century's Episode) games which are SRW in setting and plotting but are full action games. They're somewhat similar to Ace Combat (oh haha) except you get a giant robot to fight other giant robots instead of dogfighting in a plane.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I find it interesting that the running gag with the horrible energy drinks in Super Robot Wars was also a blue-haired girl. The difference is that Myona is a non-combatant and Kusuha Mizuha goes around rending and slaying with her Ancient Chinese Dragon-Tiger Super Robot. Also Kusuha's Health Drinks set a character's Morale (Spirit here) to maximum.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Scintilla posted:

Nope. It'll be all repaired before the next mission.

Not even a cash penalty at the end? Wow, Born in Space must leave their repair negotiations to Roger Smith.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

alcharagia posted:

Maybe the title is completely literal and this game's final act will all be about Ares punching people.

I can get behind this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sunning posted:

This is funny considering that Cage has stats high enough that he can one-shot enemies with the Edge's cannon. However, you'll also notice that he doesn't accumulate spirit during the last two battles.

That's an interesting way to do it. In SRW games they usually show a character is thoroughly dispirited from plot by giving them a very low starting Morale, usually 50 or 70.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ashsaber posted:

On another note, this chapter hass really pointed out just how much better Jehuty and Anubis are than other OFs. I mean, Raptors in ZOE 1 were easy enough to take out, with a pilot who makes Cage seem experienced, while here they are nasty, nearly on par with the playable OFs defensively, though perhaps not offensively.

I liked that as well. You have a couple of Orbital Frames, but the backbone of your group is still just a handful of modified LEVs. Even those Orbital Frames are shown to be a lot weaker than Jehuty. Zephyrs' Harutmarut took every bit of firepower your group could put out to defeat, but Jehuty took on the same model one-on-one with minimal problems, an inexperienced pilot, and before it was even near full power. Jehuty was powerful enough to turn the tide of a large conflict all on its own thanks to its incredible power, meanwhile BIS needs a whole group of mid-tier OFs and LEVs as well as some excellent strategies to affect the same results.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HiKaizer posted:

I always thought that the Vjaya looked like the Zine from Masoukishin, an earlier Winkysoft game for the Super Nintendo. I haven't found a good image, but they definitely have similar head shapes and body styles.

There are some differences I'll admit, but they seem very, very similar to me.

I noticed that as well, but I just chalked it up to both looking like Kapools/Capules from Gundam. And as much as I like the Vjaya I think the Zine has it beat in terms of weaponry what with its ridiculous split-image-rainbow-charge knife attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

FFKonoko posted:

I figured that since the Vjaya is somewhat ninja themed, it was supposed to resemble having one of those japanese flattish straw hats, and those trousers that are baggy until the knee, then bindings and tabi. (I know very little about this, I just have this mix of stereotypes in mind that the vjaya seemed very similar to.)

Does the Zine also have ninja-style attacks, because that might help explain the similarities, along with the potentially shared designer.

It has ridiculous split-image-rainbow-charge knife attacks like I said

• Locked thread