Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Oh wow I have fond memories of this game. Despite playing through it 3 or 4 times as a kid I can't remember much about the plot other than an apocalyptic tone as more and more egomaniacal villains decide to wreak everything with their new prototype death machines. Ultimately it wasn't that great of a game, the IAS system was a cool idea but ended up being a crutch to cover up really bare-bones strategy/tactics mechanics. I'm still not even sure if its actually possible to beat with the system disabled.

That said, it was a pretty great game for the time. While now the GBA is fondly remembered for having an incredible game library, I had saved up and bought one on release date, and in the early days its library was pretty bad. For a while after release the notable games on the system were a port of Mario 2, a mode-7 F-Zero, Super Dodge-ball and Castlevania. While fun for wasting 10 minutes here and there, only Castlevania was anything close to a system seller and could compete with GB/C classics like Donkey Kong, Link's Awakening, Pokemon, or Mario Land. ZOE:FoM and Advance Wars were really the first titles on the system I can remember sinking hours on end into. I was also an angsty teenager when it came out, so the anime drama was pretty compelling. I still have it ~complete in box~, though I can't take any pics of it specifically since I'm nowhere near it due to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread