Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I was introduced to Junji Ito by the Uzumaki movie, and I liked it, but I haven't read the manga (I absolutely need to pick it up, they just released the hardcover omnibus collection). The Tomie movies were loving terrible. The only one that was any decent was the one directed by Takashi Shimizu. I bought the big collection and I never finished watching the last movie in the collection, it was so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Another great story by Ito that I see mentioned a lot less often is The Town Without Streets. It's incredibly unnerving, and works pretty drat good as a metaphor for social anxieties and OCD. Which, considering this is Ito we're talking about, really shouldn't come as a surprise.

EDIT: And this one is pretty cool as well.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 24, 2014

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

BTW Benito that Frankenstein collection looks right up my alley and I can get it through the library, thanks fir the tip.

The collection is worth looking at/getting for the design and the historical/biographical information, but if you just want to read the comics, they're all public domain and available at the Digital Comic Museum.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Another great story by Ito that I see mentioned a lot less often is The Town Without Streets. It's incredibly unnerving, and works pretty drat good as a metaphor for social anxieties and OCD. Which, considering this is Ito we're talking about, really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Wow, this is really good. Thanks for pointing it out.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Any standout Creepy or Eerie bundles to get while Dark Horse is having their big sale? I already have the Creepy Richard Corben bundle.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service was pretty enjoyable from what I read. Three bucks a volume or ten bucks for four at a clip is a pretty good price for jumping in. It's closer to "goofy-eerie" than outright scary, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Any standout Creepy or Eerie bundles to get while Dark Horse is having their big sale? I already have the Creepy Richard Corben bundle.

The Wrightson one is excellent, and an insane steal at six bucks.

I also snagged the Ditko one, I had no idea he did stuff for Creepy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

I just read the manga I Am a Hero and I'm in the mood for some more horror comics. Are there any American horror comics out there that have a slow-burner intro, a series that takes its time before showing the monsters? One thing that drives me nuts when I read most American comics is they establish the setting and within a half a panel the hero's already running from a wave of ghouls.

Locke & Key, maybe?

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Today is a dark day for horror comics fans everywhere. Al Feldstein has passed away.

http://boingboing.net/2014/04/30/rip-al-feldstein-ec-comics-a.html

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

Today is a dark day for horror comics fans everywhere. Al Feldstein has passed away.

http://boingboing.net/2014/04/30/rip-al-feldstein-ec-comics-a.html

I have boxed hard bound EC Comics collections in my library. They're still rad to this day.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Sobatchja Morda posted:

EDIT: And this one is pretty cool as well.

Anything But a Ghost is a pretty great little story. Long Dream is cool in a sorta Dreamquest era Lovecraft kind of way. There's also one I cant remember the name of, but it's about a blocked off alleyway and the ending is perfect.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Hellburger99 posted:

Anything But a Ghost is a pretty great little story. Long Dream is cool in a sorta Dreamquest era Lovecraft kind of way. There's also one I cant remember the name of, but it's about a blocked off alleyway and the ending is perfect.

Is Long Dream the one where a man experiences longer and longer stretches of time in his dreams and starts mutating? Because that one is a good reason to stay awake for awhile.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Is Long Dream the one where a man experiences longer and longer stretches of time in his dreams and starts mutating? Because that one is a good reason to stay awake for awhile.

That's the one, yes.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

If you haven't, everyone should read this EC story. It's really one of the best.

http://cacb.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/ec-comics-master-race/

I have a copy in one of those really nice EC reprint books but it's too big for my scanner so you'll just have to squint at the blogger version. But seriously check out that storytelling. Just amazing stuff.

I've been collecting those EC books that Fantagraphic has been putting out, and they are amazing. The stuff EC was putting out in the drat 50s is amazing, a hell of a lot more mature than random violence, massive body counts and the rape that DC loves to use now to show that they're mature and "edgy." But I rather like the the Fantagraphic books, even if they are all in black and white gives a lot of the really good stories a fantastic Film Noir feel.

Al Feldstiens war comic book from them, "Corpse on the Imjin and Other Stories," was fantastic. It was very sad to hear he had passed back on the 1st

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I always felt Ito Junji's horror was best when horrible and unknowable things happen to good people for no reason. There's no karma, there's no moral or explanation for why these terrible things come to occur. They just do, because the world doesn't care about whether you're a good person or not when it picks some poor schmuck to get hosed.

His long stories out of necessity have to delve into the "why" of things and I feel they're a lot weaker for that.

Speaking of Ito Junji, his favorite of mine has always been "The Bully," which has no supernatural horror elements at all. Just straight up hosed up people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Ito Junji, his favorite of mine has always been "The Bully," which has no supernatural horror elements at all. Just straight up hosed up people.

Holy shiiit, every time I think I've read the most hosed up Junji Ito story someone pulls out something like that :gonk:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hakkesshu posted:

Holy shiiit, every time I think I've read the most hosed up Junji Ito story someone pulls out something like that :gonk:

It reminds me of that line about Gone Home that goes "for the first hour I was afraid of finding a ghost, and then for the second hour I was afraid of finding something actually horrifying."

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

AnonSpore posted:

I always felt Ito Junji's horror was best when horrible and unknowable things happen to good people for no reason. There's no karma, there's no moral or explanation for why these terrible things come to occur. They just do, because the world doesn't care about whether you're a good person or not when it picks some poor schmuck to get hosed.

His long stories out of necessity have to delve into the "why" of things and I feel they're a lot weaker for that.

Jesus gently caress

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

I'll agree with this for his horror stuff, but I do like it when he goes off the rails explaining stuff just because it leads to weird-rear end poo poo like The Black Paradox. Read through this the other day and it's one hell of a weird, entertaining story.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

If you haven't, everyone should read this EC story. It's really one of the best.

http://cacb.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/ec-comics-master-race/

I have a copy in one of those really nice EC reprint books but it's too big for my scanner so you'll just have to squint at the blogger version. But seriously check out that storytelling. Just amazing stuff.

Master Race has some of the best visual storytelling I've ever seen, and although the whole holocaust theme of it might come off as cheesy today, it was published really soon after WW2 so it must have been a really gutsy move at the time.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

See I really disagree. In Uzumaki we know in considerable detail what is happening, but I don't think we know why it's happening any more than say Amigara Fault. Gyo, well, is what it is, but people seem to overlook that the root cause in Gyo isn't the robot parts that fell in the ocean or whatever; it's that the Death Stench seems to somehow have a will of its own. This probably if anything needed a little more explanation, to make it easier to swallow. In Hellstar Remina I guess we sort of learn what the Hellstar is, maybe, but the cosmic coincidence linking it with Remina the character, that causes the whole world to go crazy and turn on her, remains totally unexplained. And I'd argue that's where the most horror lies.

quote:

Whaaaaaat

McNerd fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 10, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

I don't think the very last moment did it for me, but that's a pretty surprisingly hosed up story. Christ. It's not even horror. Just... I don't know what genre. hosed up.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't think the very last moment did it for me, but that's a pretty surprisingly hosed up story. Christ. It's not even horror. Just... I don't know what genre. hosed up.

Part of me feels the same way. But one thing about it is, it's very memorable. Any time I think about that manga I'll definitely remember that page, and it fits.

Some of Ito's really over-the-top images are like that for me. They can be a little hard to take seriously when I'm actually looking at them; but a couple hours or days later, when my memory is a little hazy except for a few horrible vivid details, I am not laughing anymore.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

You aren't wrong on that. It's probably the one clear image of that story I won't forget.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
io9 has the first story from Emily Carroll's new book available to read. If you don't know, Emily Carroll is basically the best there is at horror comics, so you should probably check this out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

io9 has the first story from Emily Carroll's new book available to read. If you don't know, Emily Carroll is basically the best there is at horror comics, so you should probably check this out.

No. No. gently caress no. Hell no. "Out of Skin" alone gave me the heebie-jeebies for months. That book will probably whisper to you when the lights go out.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McNerd posted:

See I really disagree. In Uzumaki we know in considerable detail what is happening, but I don't think we know why it's happening any more than say Amigara Fault. Gyo, well, is what it is, but people seem to overlook that the root cause in Gyo isn't the robot parts that fell in the ocean or whatever; it's that the Death Stench seems to somehow have a will of its own. This probably if anything needed a little more explanation, to make it easier to swallow. In Hellstar Remina I guess we sort of learn what the Hellstar is, maybe, but the cosmic coincidence linking it with Remina the character, that causes the whole world to go crazy and turn on her, remains totally unexplained. And I'd argue that's where the most horror lies.

Whaaaaaat

I love Hellstar Ramina because it feels like he's tying everything together with some corny device until you realize it's just faith, madness, and anxiety cascading as the world ends.

In fact I kinda love all the off the rails stuff he does at the end of his longer works. I think they add a kind of delirious energy to the final set-up, like a dementia before death thing.

One thing that does bother me is that he always seems to stop the horror so he can drop a big wad of exposition on you right before the crazy end-game antics.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I loved Uzumaki, due to the slow impending build up of inescapable doom he builds up with such delicious slowness.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I bought and read Through the Woods (Emily Carroll's first book) today. In case you don't know, it has 4 new stories and also His Face All Red.

I thought My Friend Janna was the weakest of the bunch, both in terms of terror and also the ending feeling confusing and yet also predictable. The last one, The Nesting Place, was probably the best for me out of the new stuff. I didn't realize at first that when Bell sees Madame Beauchamp in the night, it's already the thing wearing her skin, and that was a really good moment in my opinion. I'm sorta confused about the first story, though. Obviously the man in the wide-brimmed hat is Death, but why did the sisters take food and water with them before they left to die?

Overall I definitely don't regret buying it, though. Good stuff all around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

One thing that does bother me is that he always seems to stop the horror so he can drop a big wad of exposition on you right before the crazy end-game antics.
This is why Uzumaki is his best series. Tomie also avoids exposition by never explaining anything, but Tomie doesn't have a serial plot. I think The Black Paradox wins the Junji Ito Award For Most Unnecessary Addition Of Science Fiction Elements And Ham-Handed Metaphors.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

The Black Paradox is great if you go into it assuming it's supposed to be a comedy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I just got my signed copy of "Sleep of Reason." Pretty good horror comics all around. Some stories go for the gross-out, some are more subtle, but they're all effective.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Has anyone gotten a hold of The Creeps Magazine yet?

http://www.thecreepsmagazine.com/

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

sporklift posted:

Has anyone gotten a hold of The Creeps Magazine yet?

http://www.thecreepsmagazine.com/

Is this an ongoing or one-time?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

The Black Paradox is great if you go into it assuming it's supposed to be a comedy.
It's got a lot of great moments, it just falls apart at the very end.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Is this an ongoing or one-time?

quote:

We've been bombarded with submission requests since we started The Creeps, including from some of the old Warren talent, which tells me there is a real need on the creative end for a showcase of this type in this genre. We'd like The Creeps to become a strong creative forum for free-lancers and help contribute to the overall health and welfare of the creative elements the the industry, but the real question now is if enough of this market still exists, or if we can help ramp up what remains of this previously dormant market enough to sustain us into profitability. Brian, you read our minds, we are looking at a semi-annual schedule (twice annually) through 2015 with an eye on moving to a quarterly schedule in 2016. We will not be offering subscriptions until the project is firmly footed, we want to ensure that when we begin accepting funds from subscribers, we are able to honor our longer-term commitments. We're hoping to begin offering subscriptions sometime in 2015.

- The Old Creep

sporklift fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 30, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's got a lot of great moments, it just falls apart at the very end.

I lost the ability to take it seriously as soon as they introduced the robot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

I lost the ability to take it seriously as soon as they introduced the robot.
You say that as if there's only one.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

You say that as if there's only one.

Well I didn't wanna spoil people on things beyond the first chapter. I wanna let people savor the batshit insanity without spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posh Chinchilla
Feb 1, 2006
Bo-oi-oi-oi-oing!

Speedball posted:

So I just got my signed copy of "Sleep of Reason." Pretty good horror comics all around. Some stories go for the gross-out, some are more subtle, but they're all effective.

I thought it was a really good all round anthology, although obviously I liked some more than others. I'm a sucker for a good spooky monster story and the ones in that vein were all spectacular.

• Locked thread