Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
So Pokemon is doing a ghost pokemon centered mini event on their website for Halloween. Normally I wouldn't post it here, except...

They got Ito Junji to work with them. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Honestly, it makes perfect sense. People have been making jokes about how horrific the world of Pokemon actually is for awhile now, and Junji Ito's style fits the world of Pokemon pretty well. I'm interested to see where he goes with this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pokemon isn't even a world where if you read too much into it it's horrifying, like Mega Man or Mario; Pokedex entries in the actual games paint a horrible picture.

The creepiness has been explored a bit in some of the mangas, but this is going to be on a whole other level.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
And that's not even getting into some of the poo poo they do with the ghost pokemon, like Yamask.

Pokemon Black Pokedex posted:

Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry

Pokemon White Pokedex posted:

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.

So yeah, I'm super eager to see what Ito does with the setting.

Ed: And here are the pokedex entries for the Pokemon on the cover, Banette:

Pokemon Ruby Pokedex posted:

Banette generates energy for laying strong curses by sticking pins into its own body. This Pokémon was originally a pitiful plush doll that was thrown away.

Pokemon Sapphire Pokedex posted:

A cursed energy permeated the stuffing of a discarded and forgotten plush doll, giving it new life as Banette. The Pokémon's energy would escape if it were to ever open its mouth.

Pokemon Emerald Pokedex posted:

An abandoned plush doll became this Pokémon. They are said to live in garbage dumps and wander about in search of the children that threw them away.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 18, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

So Pokemon is doing a ghost pokemon centered mini event on their website for Halloween. Normally I wouldn't post it here, except...

That's loving awesome

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Happy Halloween :twisted:

http://emcarroll.com/comics/darkness

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I reeeeaaally like Emily Carroll's style, but for the most part I think her endings are pretty bad and anticlimactic. I picked up Through the Woods, and it's like she's trying to do the Lovecraft thing of the shocking reveal or scare on the last page, but more often than not it just doesn't hit.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

:stare: oh loving jesus yes

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hakkesshu posted:

I reeeeaaally like Emily Carroll's style, but for the most part I think her endings are pretty bad and anticlimactic. I picked up Through the Woods, and it's like she's trying to do the Lovecraft thing of the shocking reveal or scare on the last page, but more often than not it just doesn't hit.

I like her approach to storytelling. The whole minimal text and art works really well in keeping things mysterious and eerie.

I agree with you 100% though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This started off neat but I got distracted from the scariness when some of that overdone "20-something feels directionless and awkward" stuff crept into the story. Then it just ended without anything scary happening?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I felt like out of all of her stories this one suffered the most from a lack of payoff. She can create a great atmosphere and I was just expecting so much more. I know explaining things in horror can be a slippery slope to losing the scare factor, but this story just needed something to happen. But instead it all just really builds up to nothing. She had bad dreams, and that was it. It feels like all we're getting is the first chapter before the actual scary stuff begins.

It might just be because I'm comparing it to Out of Skin from last year, but this new story just really falls short of actually getting going.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Benito Cereno posted:

The 2014 edition of BOO! is up for pre-order on Comixology. This year all the stories are in one volume, 64 pages for $1.99. This year features stories and art by such people as Chris Sims and Erica Henderson (also: me) in a variety of styles and subjects, but all in homage to classic horror anthology comics and horror host TV shows.

If you missed last year's BOO!, which was a four-issue mini-series, you can pick them up for 99 cent each here.

Hey, this is out now if you're looking for some quick cheap Halloween reads.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Dr. Hurt posted:

I felt like out of all of her stories this one suffered the most from a lack of payoff. She can create a great atmosphere and I was just expecting so much more. I know explaining things in horror can be a slippery slope to losing the scare factor, but this story just needed something to happen. But instead it all just really builds up to nothing. She had bad dreams, and that was it. It feels like all we're getting is the first chapter before the actual scary stuff begins.

It might just be because I'm comparing it to Out of Skin from last year, but this new story just really falls short of actually getting going.

Yeah, I posted it before I'd read much of it, just because I hadn't seen it before and got kind of pumped. Outside of the nifty fake ad part, I'd say it's a strong contender for her worst.

Halloween ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Viz are bringing over Junji Ito's "Fragments of Horror" next year for people still craving that Ito itch. :toot:

source

• Locked thread