Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

KomradeX posted:

Any recommendations for Western horror comics? Something in the vein of Hellboy,BPRD (which Im woefully behind on, vol.6 of the main series)or Baltimore? Something especially like the horror comics from the 50s, or along the lines of Weird War Tales. I'll even try reading any manga that are along the lines of WWT.

If I can self-promote for a second, it sounds like you might like Hector Plasm. There are two 48 page specials made up of short stories of various tones, but all about ghosts and the man who stands at the threshold of the worlds of the living and the dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

onefish posted:

I feel like one of the folks who wrote or drew Hector Plasm showed up in Something Awful a few times? Those are also each ~50 pages for a buck.

I've been a member here for almost eight years and I have, I dunno, hundreds of posts. I even posted in this thread. :(

Anyway, if you want to decide whether the Hector specials, which retail in print for $5 each, are worth $2 for both, there is a free story not contained in either book here and an animatic video of a story from the second volume here.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

onefish posted:

Is that first story at all a Tom Waits/Black Wings hat tip?

Definitely. Tom Waits's music is a big influence on that book.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The fourth and final issue of the Halloween anthology BOO! is out from Monkeybrain today, available exclusively on Comixology.

The series was created and edited by Calamity John Morris, who also did the great framing story about a reality show for horror hosts, which features analogues of such renowned figures as the Old Witch, Elvira, Svengoolie, the Phantom Stranger, and so on. Each issue features three stories that span the spectrum of horror from light-hearted spooky comedies to full-on body horror. Stand out stories come from guys like Kyle Starks and Joel Carroll.

The fourth issue features a brand new story by me and Les McClaine called "Dilemma at Floyd's Crick," about a couple of gentlemen on the hunt for a local legend.

Each issue is only 99 cents and is perfect for those in the Halloween spirit. Here are all four issues:

http://www.comixology.com/BOO-Halloween-Stories/comics-series/12229

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Beasts of Burden is the best. You should get it.

Or, if you're not sold yet, Dark Horse has the first three stories on their site for free.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
For those who like horror of the classic monsters stripe, I just bought and really enjoy this collection of Dick Briefer Frankenstein strips from the 1940s and 50s.

If you don't know, Dick Briefer did Frankenstein stories in both a horrific and humorous mold, and the design of the book reflects this in a pretty awesome way: with a die-cut cover with scary Frank on the outside and funny Frank on the inside.

The humor strips and the horror strips are equally excellent in completely different ways. This site has a number of samples of the funny strips, but I don't think they overlap with the ones in the book, so you won't be spoiling anything.

Anyway: I recommend it.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

BTW Benito that Frankenstein collection looks right up my alley and I can get it through the library, thanks fir the tip.

The collection is worth looking at/getting for the design and the historical/biographical information, but if you just want to read the comics, they're all public domain and available at the Digital Comic Museum.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
io9 has the first story from Emily Carroll's new book available to read. If you don't know, Emily Carroll is basically the best there is at horror comics, so you should probably check this out.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
The 2014 edition of BOO! is up for pre-order on Comixology. This year all the stories are in one volume, 64 pages for $1.99. This year features stories and art by such people as Chris Sims and Erica Henderson (also: me) in a variety of styles and subjects, but all in homage to classic horror anthology comics and horror host TV shows.

If you missed last year's BOO!, which was a four-issue mini-series, you can pick them up for 99 cent each here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Benito Cereno posted:

The 2014 edition of BOO! is up for pre-order on Comixology. This year all the stories are in one volume, 64 pages for $1.99. This year features stories and art by such people as Chris Sims and Erica Henderson (also: me) in a variety of styles and subjects, but all in homage to classic horror anthology comics and horror host TV shows.

If you missed last year's BOO!, which was a four-issue mini-series, you can pick them up for 99 cent each here.

Hey, this is out now if you're looking for some quick cheap Halloween reads.

• Locked thread