Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
True.

inedible
Apr 8, 2009

Buggiezor posted:

The picture that says "We have power! Please feel free to charge your phone" was right after Hurricane Sandy when almost nobody had power. Some people would rather charge their phone than have a warm meal. Knowing that just made it all the more :3:

Similar to this, the area I live in sustained a large amount of damage during the huge tornado outbreak in late April 2011. We were without power for a week, while some outlying areas were without power for even longer. The Dillard's in the local mall was lucky and had a generator, and invited people in to charge their phones to call family, and offer food and water. Local restaurants cooked everything they could (since they were going to lose perishable food anyway) and the owners were standing on the street corners holding signs, giving away meals and clean water to people who needed it. We built a fire pit in the backyard, picked up a bunch of meat and vegetables from Publix, and cooked out all night to make sure our neighborhood was well fed. It was really heartwarming to see so many people come to each others aid.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012

Happyloony has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 27, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A corgi gets excited waiting for the ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_SMLYiuig

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
"Ode to Joy" flashmob
http://www.wimp.com/musicflashmob/
What starts out as a single bassist on a street in Spain playing for spare change turns into a full symphony and choir.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kinmik posted:

"Ode to Joy" flashmob
What starts out as a single bassist on a street in Spain playing for spare change turns into a full symphony and choir.

Maybe its the grief talking cause of recent events in my life but there's something indescribably beautiful about classical music.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
I think my new kitten is pretty cute. :3:

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

ToastFaceKillah posted:

I can confirm it, that is a cute kitten

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This is too much (via wimp.com).

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

ToastFaceKillah posted:

Will need more pics to confirm :colbert:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

kinmik posted:

"Ode to Joy" flashmob

There has been a lot of pictures and videos that have passed through this and prior iterations of this thread but I have never been so moved as I have by this one. Once the music started I couldn't stop crying.

With all my sincerity I thank you for linking to this.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

combee posted:

Will need more pics to confirm :colbert:

His name is Qubit and:

He is skeptical.

He has a G on his side, because he is one.

He doesn't understand walls.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
That is one adorable animal... and I'm not even a cat person.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

There has been a lot of pictures and videos that have passed through this and prior iterations of this thread but I have never been so moved as I have by this one. Once the music started I couldn't stop crying.

Seriously. That was beautiful. I love Beethoven so much.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Silly little North Korea, thinking they're big boys:3

As an appreciator of fine felines, I agree that you kitten is totes adorbs.

grumplestiltzkin has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Mar 18, 2013

fuck logic
Mar 20, 2005

Queen of Inappropriate

Oh fuuuuuuck! Watching that right after the Ode to Joy flashmob just sent me right over the edge. His little accent is just too cute, but his little spirit is AWESOME! :3: The flashmob had me moved to tears already, but this was, as you said, TOO MUCH!

The It Gets Better campaign has produced a ton of beauty and hope, but my opinion is that Rebecca Drysdale's song (and video) is the single best thing that's come out of it. The message is obviously uplifting, but the song itself is genuinely good and the video is genuinely cool. Not gonna lie; I have this on my ipod!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTQNwMxqM3E

Edit: Don't forget to watch in HD! I don't know if it's the same for everyone, but the quality is noticeably better in my headphones on HD.

Edit again: I spent unholy amounts of time on yt2gif getting the milliseconds down, and I still don't feel like it's quite right, but I definitely think this little bouncy move is the cutest thing in the whole video and really wanted to capture it!

fuck logic has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Mar 18, 2013

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Figured you capybara lovers would enjoy this capybara, named Cheesecake, fostering these wiener dog puppies.

from http://www.dogster.com/bolz/capybara-giant-rodent-fosters-dachshund-puppies

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
My Charlie loves me.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The smallest species of wild cat is the rusty spotted cat, only half the size of a house cat. Here is one of the kittens born in the Berlin Zoo:

uptown
May 16, 2009
^^That's super cute.

I screenshotted that picture about the security guard at Disney and the "real princess," because it made me tear up a bit. I don't know why, but that just stabbed me right in the heart. What a sweet guy :3:

As for a thread contribution, here's my dog Shanti, when he was a puppy. He was about 3 months old when that picture was taken, and now, at 10 months he is ~150lbs. Still has that great smile, though!

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

The Fresh Prince posted:

My Charlie loves me.

My cat does this too. I can't sit in a high backed chair without him coming up and attacking my head. It was cute at first but now it's just painful :(

The worst is if I'm wearing a ponytail, then his claws get stuck and he gets mad and starts biting my scalp.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My mom had a cat who would lick your hair if she happened to be on the back of the couch. She especially liked if you'd been in a swimming pool recently, and one of our friends was a lifeguard at the Y so she especially liked him.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Alteisen posted:

Maybe its the grief talking cause of recent events in my life but there's something indescribably beautiful about classical music.
I'm sorry. I'm glad it helped in its own small way.

Casu Marzu posted:

Seriously. That was beautiful. I love Beethoven so much.
:3: There's nothing quite as universal as music and people's love for it. Also, pro tip: Don't eat Doritos when your throat closes up just past the three minute mark.

Here's another flash mob in Antwerp station. Not as powerful in my opinion, but it sure looks fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EYAUazLI9k

And a snail setting sail.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Oh my glob this cat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VSR4_tAYvw

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Me, too. I thought there might be something wrong with me. :3:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Mouse agility! (stolen from PI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XZ-_EgWB8

Dave Schmidt
Feb 20, 2013

My baby Panda :)

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

And him now, not quite as adorable, way more insane

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dog trying to get through a cat door:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Baby elephant wants to cuddle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du0v8yn2q8Q

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
There is a rocky shoreline along Lake Granby that hundreds of marmots call home. My family ventured out there once with baby carrots and were shocked to discover that the marmots would actually hop up on your lap like cats and had no qualms about being petted. We never encountered anyone else on that point, so it seemed like our little secret, despite the fact that the marmots were clearly accustomed to people.

This point was home to a pump plant for the reservoir, and the entire facility and it's shoreline were fenced off post-9/11, along with dozens of 20-foot long dams in the area that were great for fishing. :911:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kinmik posted:

"Ode to Joy" flashmob

I can attest to the ridiculous crying triggering quality of this - Beethoven is a funny one; he's moodier than Mozart but more emotional in a human way. Mozart is magical but less visceral.

Also bloo blah bloo I am blubbing over here.

(I really am, the Ode to Joy is perfection)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So here's somebody's poem about capybaras:

Unit of Measure
BY SANDRA BEASLEY

All can be measured by the standard of the capybara.
Everyone is lesser than or greater than the capybara.
Everything is taller or shorter than the capybara.
Everything is mistaken for a Brazilian dance craze
more or less frequently than the capybara.
Everyone eats greater or fewer watermelons
than the capybara. Everyone eats more or less bark.
Everyone barks more than or less than the capybara,
who also whistles, clicks, grunts, and emits what is known
as his alarm squeal. Everyone is more or less alarmed
than a capybara, who—because his back legs
are longer than his front legs—feels like
he is going downhill at all times.
Everyone is more or less a master of grasses
than the capybara. Or going by the scientific name,
more or less Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris—
or, going by the Greek translation, more or less
water hog. Everyone is more or less
of a fish than the capybara, defined as the outermost realm
of fishdom by the 16th-century Catholic Church.
Everyone is eaten more or less often for Lent than
the capybara. Shredded, spiced, and served over plantains,
everything tastes more or less like pork
than the capybara. Before you decide that you are
greater than or lesser than a capybara, consider
that while the Brazilian capybara breeds only once a year,
the Venezuelan variety mates continuously.
Consider the last time you mated continuously.
Consider the year of your childhood when you had
exactly as many teeth as the capybara—
twenty—and all yours fell out, and all his
kept growing. Consider how his skin stretches
in only one direction. Accept that you are stretchier
than the capybara. Accept that you have foolishly
distributed your eyes, ears, and nostrils
all over your face. Accept that now you will never be able
to sleep underwater. Accept that the fish
will never gather to your capybara body offering
their soft, finned love. One of us, they say, one of us,
but they will not say it to you.

from http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poem/236982

Sid Delicious
Oct 31, 2007
:sidvicious:

Pookah posted:

I can attest to the ridiculous crying triggering quality of this - Beethoven is a funny one; he's moodier than Mozart but more emotional in a human way. Mozart is magical but less visceral.

Also bloo blah bloo I am blubbing over here.

(I really am, the Ode to Joy is perfection)

Seriously this is absolutely beautiful, every last bit of it. I really liked the little girl climbing a lamp post to see, it was like maximum adorableness.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kinmik posted:

"Ode to Joy" flashmob

Humans are just so goddamn amazing sometimes.

Dogs, on the other hand have some catching up to do.

• Locked thread