Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Serperoth posted:

How about something more jokey?

"Nux Drives The War Rig"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Title cards aren't dialog cards! But I like this turn of events.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serperoth posted:

How about something more jokey?

"The Gang Visits Valhalla"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

M_Gargantua posted:

Title cards aren't dialog cards! But I like this turn of events.
Look at this jabroni not getting the its always sunny reference.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I know the Always sunny reference, and I like it, but that's not a silent film thing.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont think its supposed to be, its a joke thing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

It's crappy and it took me way longer to make than it should have. :mediocre:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MMAgCh posted:

That is not :mediocre: at all. We're takin' you to the green place, my friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deakul posted:

"The Gang Visits Valhalla"

Charlie is most definitely Max

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Iron Crowned posted:

Charlie is most definitely Max

Definitely a war boy talking about how they're all worshipping Joe because of some dumb misunderstood poo poo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

Don't take this as a dig because that's cool, but the paint on Nux' face looks very Sin City.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

I can't unsee the fact that Nux is barely moving for a guy hanging on the side of a really bouncy truck on a dirt road.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

bucketybuck posted:

I can't unsee the fact that Nux is barely moving for a guy hanging on the side of a really bouncy truck on a dirt road.

Dirt roads, particularly sandy ones, can actually be pretty smooth.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

VideoTapir posted:

Dirt roads, particularly sandy ones, can actually be pretty smooth.

Especially on tires/suspension that size

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bucketybuck posted:

It looks like the interior shots showing Nux's face may have actually been filmed with the actors really driving, with Nux strapped to a platform on the side of the vehicle. The camera shake is extremely realistic.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's like people never drive. Like someone said the same thing to me about the tracking shot in the Raid 2 car chase when that was literally dudes passing a handheld from car to car on platforms mounted on the cars, like it can't get any "more realistic." Like people would be shellshocked going to get groceries if they shook as much.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

It's like people never drive. Like someone said the same thing to me about the tracking shot in the Raid 2 car chase when that was literally dudes passing a handheld from car to car on platforms mounted on the cars, like it can't get any "more realistic." Like people would be shellshocked going to get groceries if they shook as much.
Its that we mentally correct for the bouncing we experience as we drive, so it seems level to us, while we don't when we watch someone else drive. Same reason that the world doesn't seem to bounce up and down when we walk or run but watching a headcam of someone seems all over the place.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

It's like people never drive.

Condescend all you want, but if you look at Nux's head almost resting on the door frame its pretty obvious that its barely moving, its millimetres from the frame and any vibration at all would see him bouncing his head off it. Ever sat in a car on a flat road with your head resting on the window?

More to the point, regardless of whether he is moving or not, he isn't moving as much as the camera is. The camera is bouncing around slightly like you would expect in a high speed chase through the desert, its presented as unsteady and as if the viewer were sitting in the car as well, bouncing along. But Nux, he isn't moving in the same way.

The camera is shaking as if due to movement, Nux is not. That was my point.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So more shaky cam you're saying?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Is this going to be the new "nothing but salt" debate?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

That's just the reality of Max's world. It's all salt, and no savior.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
Nice one

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Organic Mechanic: The Early Years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1BSwe7Cl9U

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Peak CineD at least achieved: "Fury Road would be improved with more shaky cam."

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Cage posted:

So more shaky cam you're saying?

No, it isn't what I said, at all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuw1mN_PUpI

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

On this, I just got reminded of a great story Patrick Stewart tells. He was being interviewed by an Indian-English comedian, who jokingly asked why there were no Indians in the Enterprise's crew. Stewart pointed out that there is one in the first few episodes, but they let the guy go. However, later, the character was scripted to appear in a meeting. The solution they came up with (apparently rather than rewriting the scene) was to shoot the guy's chair from behind, with a crew member holding up a wig that looked like the character's hair, and jiggling it when he was supposed to be talking, and this was on a show that an episode budget of almost a million.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
I just got back from a one-night-only showing of the Black and Chrome edition at my local cinema (with a very mediocre turnout of eight people), and ... Fury Road is such a pretty movie. The opening scenes (of Max and the Interceptor) looked so crisp, and for a movie with used colour so effectively it still looked amazing in monochrome.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Do I even want to know what that is?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
It was just a discussion over whether there was really "nothing but salt" in that direction--in reality, weeks of fuel and food would be far more than enough to get them to the coast--or if Max was saying, metaphorically, that they couldn't just run away from Joe to some heavenly Green Place.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Halloween Jack posted:

It was just a discussion over whether there was really "nothing but salt" in that direction--in reality, weeks of fuel and food would be far more than enough to get them to the coast--or if Max was saying, metaphorically, that they couldn't just run away from Joe to some heavenly Green Place.

Why didn't they take the war rig to the green place when they split up? Also, what exactly did they do with it during that time? Everyone was on motorcycles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
They passed through the Green Place, but You Can't Go Home Again.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, right. I think I remember that now.

Panfilo posted:

Why didn't they take the war rig to the green place when they split up? Also, what exactly did they do with it during that time? Everyone was on motorcycles.

They already passed the green place they were looking for. It was barren. As for continuing on with the war rig, I imagine they were trying to conserve their fuel and the war rig would use it up a lot faster than the bikes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Murphys Law posted:

Oh, right. I think I remember that now.

They already passed the green place they were looking for. It was barren. As for continuing on with the war rig, I imagine they were trying to conserve their fuel and the war rig would use it up a lot faster than the bikes.

Oh, I know I meant the 'new' green place they were hoping to discover by driving off in that random direction. The rig could've carried all their equipment plus it was full of water. To me it would've made more sense to use it till it crapped out then used the bikes.

Good thing Max caught up with them because otherwise after Joe finished :qq: his warboys surely would've found the rig the next day.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Halloween Jack posted:

I always thought the issue was that Furiosa says, "If we leave the rig here and load the motorcycles up with as much as we can, we can maybe ride for a hundred and sixty days." It's a strangely specific number that doesn't quite fit the tone of the rest of the film, to me anyway.

In last year's Mad Max video game, which shares the film's general setting, the oceans are shown to have receded if not dried out altogether, so in theory Furiosa and friends could keep going for a pretty long time. Driving motorcycles for almost half a year seems like it'd be closer to "circumnavigating the globe" territory though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

On this, I just got reminded of a great story Patrick Stewart tells. He was being interviewed by an Indian-English comedian, who jokingly asked why there were no Indians in the Enterprise's crew. Stewart pointed out that there is one in the first few episodes, but they let the guy go. However, later, the character was scripted to appear in a meeting. The solution they came up with (apparently rather than rewriting the scene) was to shoot the guy's chair from behind, with a crew member holding up a wig that looked like the character's hair, and jiggling it when he was supposed to be talking, and this was on a show that an episode budget of almost a million.

The first couple of seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation are a bunch of old guys who made TV a long time ago seeing if their old tricks will still work. (They don't.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MMAgCh posted:

I always thought the issue was that Furiosa says, "If we leave the rig here and load the motorcycles up with as much as we can, we can maybe ride for a hundred and sixty days." It's a strangely specific number that doesn't quite fit the tone of the rest of the film, to me anyway.

In last year's Mad Max video game, which shares the film's general setting, the oceans are shown to have receded if not dried out altogether, so in theory Furiosa and friends could keep going for a pretty long time. Driving motorcycles for almost half a year seems like it'd be closer to "circumnavigating the globe" territory though.

I never had any issue with the 160 days line because its not like they have any idea where they're headed. They aren't going in a straight line to a specific destination, so she's calculated that they have enough fuel to ride for 160 days, which would almost certainly include some circling around, backtracking, zigzagging, whatever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

MMAgCh posted:

The video game also had a quest chain involving members of Pink Eye's younger tribesmembers leaving the area on a sand-sailboat with equal uncertainty of what they'd find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Basebf555 posted:

I never had any issue with the 160 days line because its not like they have any idea where they're headed. They aren't going in a straight line to a specific destination, so she's calculated that they have enough fuel to ride for 160 days, which would almost certainly include some circling around, backtracking, zigzagging, whatever.
I think it's an Australian reference, there was a guy who set off with enough supplies for about that long and ended up dying horribly in the Outback.

• Locked thread