Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Mad Max also owns for being indirectly responsible for Babe: Pig In The City.

Pig in the City is totally a prequel to Mad Max films.

I like to imagine that the aesthetic of Millers apocalyptic wasteland is a result of its inhabitants trying to recreate civilisation as seen in Babe 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm still not entirely convinced they didn't flat out murder their drivers for some of those crash scenes in the first two movies.

Actually, I feel that way for just about every Australian road movie.

EDIT: Whoops new page, edited for clarity.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

penismightier posted:

The other one that always gets me is when the car flips and that poor guy goes sailing through the air towards the camera.

YESSSSS!

My favorite is the part where, after the two ex-MaxForce guys drag the Warrior Woman and the Mechanic off the tanker, Max sees them come up and...

Both barrels. One slug, one buckshot. You can just see the loving rage on his face when he does it, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The stunts in these movies are totally nutso. When I first saw Mad Max 2, I used to think Badcop was an evil twin of Max Rockatansky, since he is wearing exact same outfit Max is wearing on the original Mad Max poster.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Blind Sally posted:

Want your immersion spoiled on the Toecutter crash clip? Watch it closely. The semi truck they got for the crash was rented or something, so they didn't want to damage it in the scene. So, they build a huge metal panel and painted it the same colour as the front of the truck for the bike to harmlessly crash into. The first bit of the clip clearly shows the semi truck bearing down on the camera. Then it cuts to the Toecutter's eyes popping out, then back to the truck--but this time it's the metal panel painted to look like the front of the truck. The lights are clearly painted on. In the scene from the side you can even see space between the metal panel and the truck, where it's hooked on. (Movie magic!)

To be fair, its not really apparent until the truck gets much closer in the shot and you start to see the wonky paint lines that it becomes more obvious. Still a clever way of getting the scene shot.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Apparently, that was an accident. The stunt man wasn't supposed to flip in the air like that; his leg hit the vehicle, breaking his leg, causing him to flip over like that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VoodooXT posted:

Apparently, that was an accident. The stunt man wasn't supposed to flip in the air like that; his leg hit the vehicle, breaking his leg, causing him to flip over like that.

Well, I don't wanna say that clip was worth the broken leg, but yeah it's amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo. All this time I thought it was another mannequin.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well, I don't wanna say that clip was worth the broken leg, but yeah it's amazing.

It's the bus crash stunt from Police Story. I think that extra broke his back or something but it just looks incredible on film.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Not a lot of new news. Some interesting bits, though:

An article on the decision to NOT film Mad Max: Fury Road in 3D: http://picha.com.au/why-mad-max-fury-road-wasnt-shot-in-3d/

Apparently the film contributed $374 million to the Namibian economy: http://www.madmax4-movie.com/community/forums/topic/1173. Includes a few new images of some cars and a creepy looking cast member.

And, Warner has registered URLs for their rumoured/unannounced Mad Max tie-in game: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400944/warner-registers-mad-max-game-domains/

quote:

Three domains; MadMaxGame.com, MadMaxTheGame.com, and WorldGoneMadLegendOfMax.com (via AGB) were registered on April 10, and seemingly point to an unannounced game based on the Mad Max franchise.

Although I sincerely hope the game doesn't wind up being titled "World Gone Mad: Legend of Max."

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
If it turns out there is a game it's probably being made by Avalanche Studios and has been in production for a good while now. I really hope that's true because they're a perfect fit.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

If it turns out there is a game it's probably being made by Avalanche Studios and has been in production for a good while now. I really hope that's true because they're a perfect fit.

This would be so loving cool. I hope there's a multiplayer mode where you play chicken and smash your car head-on into someone else's. Over, and over, and over again.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
What ever happened to the Mad Max game headed by the God of War 2 guys?

There was a lot of talk about back in 2008ish, where Miller and the lead designer were talking about having long meetings where they wrote a script and worked out ideas for a game and confirmed that it'd come out in 2011 near the release of Fury Road, but that obviously never materialized.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

Apparently the film contributed $374 million to the Namibian economy: http://www.madmax4-movie.com/community/forums/topic/1173. Includes a few new images of some cars and a creepy looking cast member.

After seeing that shot of post-flôod Australia, I'm a disappointed that Miller decide not to shoot there. A little vibrancy would add something new to the genre.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Ah, Mad Max. One of my favorite movie franchises. Such a shame how difficult it's been getting the latest film made.

Anyways, I made this for the Creative Convention Thunderdome thread, but I don't know if I ever posted it or forgot to. Anyone that wants it can have it. Also, any gifs that haven't been posted yet let me know.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Steve Yun posted:

(Magnificent Seven sucked)

You are dead to me, Yun. Dead to me.

This looks awesome and I had no idea it was coming. Also, I, too, thought that Bruce Spence played the same character in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. I'm also of the opinion that Blaster is the big, slow farm kid from Mad Max because Max seems to recognize him in Thunderdome after he knocks Blaster's helmet off, and him shouting "This wasn't part of the deal!"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

timeandtide posted:

What ever happened to the Mad Max game headed by the God of War 2 guys?

There was a lot of talk about back in 2008ish, where Miller and the lead designer were talking about having long meetings where they wrote a script and worked out ideas for a game and confirmed that it'd come out in 2011 near the release of Fury Road, but that obviously never materialized.

It seems to have fizzled out. The game might also be made by Team Bondi, though.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

This looks awesome and I had no idea it was coming. Also, I, too, thought that Bruce Spence played the same character in Road Warrior and Thunderdome. I'm also of the opinion that Blaster is the big, slow farm kid from Mad Max because Max seems to recognize him in Thunderdome after he knocks Blaster's helmet off, and him shouting "This wasn't part of the deal!"

The actor that plays the slow kid in Mad Max briefly appears in Mad Max 2--and is tortured and killed.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Blind Sally posted:

The actor that plays the slow kid in Mad Max briefly appears in Mad Max 2--and is tortured and killed.

poo poo, really? I didn't know that. Also, this thread is the first place I've ever heard the Humongous =Goose idea. Where'd that come from?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

poo poo, really? I didn't know that. Also, this thread is the first place I've ever heard the Humongous =Goose idea. Where'd that come from?

I'm wondering this too. I'm rapidly bouncing back and forth between loving and hating the idea. What are the subtle clues that someone mentioned earlier?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Really! He's the bigger of the two victims tied to the Humungus's car in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfL4xKQeSfo

He gets tortured later in the film in the night montage before the final chase scene. Then, during the chase scene, he gets decapitated when Max brakes the truck to dislodge Wez from the roof--the Humungus's vehicle slams into the back of the tanker severing the victim's heads: http://youtu.be/8qcRgKuOU7Q?t=8m11s (actual decapitation occurs at 8:21)

W/r/t the Humungus=Goose thing, it was my understanding that it came from an early draft of the script that was eventually dropped. A few hints remain that could really be taken either way. There's nothing concrete:
-The Humungus's revolver case contains medals and a picture of some people, presumably a family heirloom, suggesting that he wasn't always such a cretin the Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla.
-Close ups of his head show that he may have burn scars. Goose never died in Mad Max, but he did suffer some horrific 3rd degree burns.
-There are a large number of people who seem to be wearing modified MFP uniforms in the gang, suggesting that Goose rounded up some disgruntled cops to go with him.
-Also, The Humungus and Max never really meet, so we never get a chance to see if either recognize each other.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Has anyone had a chance to pick up the Mad Max Trilogy on Blu-Ray? My player is busted and I'm a bit short on cash to replace it so I haven't been able to check them out yet. I wondered if the quality of the newly released version of Road Warrior is better or worse than the original one. Basically, I'm wondering if I should re-buy the new version of the Road Warrior.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Waaaaaait, they're actually making Fury Road? Holy poo poo. Well, I guess it's time to finally watch Beyond Thunderdome. (should I watch Beyond Thunderdome? What if it's poo poo and makes me think less of the entire series? That's the reason why I didn't watch Terminator 3 after all)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

M.Ciaster posted:

Waaaaaait, they're actually making Fury Road? Holy poo poo. Well, I guess it's time to finally watch Beyond Thunderdome. (should I watch Beyond Thunderdome? What if it's poo poo and makes me think less of the entire series? That's the reason why I didn't watch Terminator 3 after all)

Look at it this way:

Terminator 3 was made about a decade after Terminator 2 and the only people tied to 2 that returned was Arnold. Whereas with Beyond Thunderdome we have another story of the Road Warrior done by everyone who was involved with the previous 2 movies.

When we look at it that way we have a movie that isn't as great as The Road Warrior but it still stands on its own so yes, yes you should watch Beyond Thunderdome

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Aces High posted:

Look at it this way:

Terminator 3 was made about a decade after Terminator 2 and the only people tied to 2 that returned was Arnold. Whereas with Beyond Thunderdome we have another story of the Road Warrior done by everyone who was involved with the previous 2 movies.

When we look at it that way we have a movie that isn't as great as The Road Warrior but it still stands on its own so yes, yes you should watch Beyond Thunderdome

Well, when you put it this way...

I know what I'm doing tomorrow evening.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The first half of Beyond Thunderdome would be a top 10 movie of all time. The second half of Beyond Thunderdome is very bad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Welp it's official, Avalanche is making it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBpDO45cJms

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure if they understand Max and what separates him from the post-apocalyptic films that followed him from that trailer. Unless the dude was biker scum, he'd do everything in his power to save that guy, even if he justifies it by bargaining with him like he did at saving the tortured scout in Road Warrior.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I dont believe Max would do anything to save a single dying stranger. Not at that point, anyways (judging by the outfit/car, the game looks to be taking place before The Road Warrior)--his best friend was covered in third-degree burns, left breathing in a tube, his child was dead, and his wife was on life support, with doctors planning which organs they could "salvage" from her. He had gone on a revenge spree, murdering an entire gang of bikers before riding off into the desert. I'd say he's very much a pragmatist at that point. Mercy killing seems within character. Max is just a survivor at that point. Mercy killing with his car in order to save a bullet seems even more within character--saving precious ammunition.

As you said, Max saved the injured scout in order to bargain him away for gasoline. Not the most noble motives, and it right angers the oil refiners, who chain him up. Max makes a second bargain and leaves once he has what he needs. It isn't until he's nearly killed, loses his car and dog, and is rescued that his heroic streak shines through, even if he is only offering himself up for a suicide mission.

Regardless, it's hard to pass any sort of judgement on a 1:49 long trailer, so I'm just eager to hear it's been officially announced.

EDIT: there's a website! I'm so giddy! http://www.madmaxgame.com/en-gb/

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 12, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I kind of really like Thunderdome. I mean it's tricky because the best stuff is the Dome and they spend an awful lot of time... beyond... it, but there's a kind of goofy Peter Pan charm to the whole thing that works on me more and more with each viewing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Blind Sally posted:

EDIT: there's a website! I'm so giddy! http://www.madmaxgame.com/en-gb/

I hope it's accurate to the game, that the game ends up having shooting but is mostly "about" vehicular homicide. Guns are so common in video games that it would be cool if it was like Dishonored where using your shotgun was like the atomic bomb of the game. The premise going by the site is that marauders stole your Interceptor though so this is pre-Thunderdome I guess. I wonder if they'll ignore Thunderdome and have it lead into the new movie. Also I hope Bruce Spence voices and is motion captured for two different characters that are unrelated. Maybe that guy he runs over was one of the people who tried to take his car. ;)

I love post apocalyptic stuff so much, to think this is the first official Mad Max game since the ambitious but poorly executed NES game. Fans may enjoy an underrated Midway title that was on PS2/Gamecube/Xbox called Roadkill for a silly but fun take on the premise.

Thunderdome is great. It's goofy as hell but very enjoyable even if time grinds to a halt between the kids deciding to go to Bartertown and the kids arriving at Bartertown.

That new trilogy is tempting. It still doesn't have the featurette that's on my Road Warrior VHS though and is missing a lot of stuff from MGM's rad as hell Mad Max DVD release. They supposedly made a noticeably huge improvement to the audio though across all three films.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 12, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

Welp it looks like I'm going to be buying a vidja game for the first time in over a year.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Welp it looks like I'm going to be buying a vidja game for the first time in over a year.

In these open world games when you hijack a vehicle you do it by going next to the vehicle and pressing a button. After you press the button a quick scene happens where your guy opens the door, kicks the driver/pilot out and you start driving. in Just Cause 2 you have to literally climb around/onto the vehicle, you can then shoot the driver through the windshield/cockpit and then climb in or you can get close enough and throw them out. Just the fact that they made the game so that you can and have to aim and fire weapons while on the hood of a vehicle or climbing around the cockpit of a helicopter and stuff like that makes them the best people ever to make a Mad Max game. Warner Bros. publishing doesn't hurt either.

I'm interested to see what the game's setting is, if it ends up being tied into the this upcoming movie or if it's just set in the vague space of the first three movies (preferable so they don't have to stick to any particular canon and can do whatever). "Max's" outfit in the trailer is of course aping the earlier films if they're just dropping a teaser now who knows how it will end up.

Man I actually forgot this movie was being made again until someone bumped this thread to talk about the video game. It's been a long road.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 13, 2013

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Yodzilla posted:

Holy gently caress, I always wanted a Fallout game set in a giant open world, with cars and all. And it looks like we're getting pretty much exactly that :aaa: (yeah, it's not exactly Fallout, but the Fallout games have so many Mad Max influences they could totally pass as Mad Max games after changing a few details)

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

penismightier posted:

I kind of really like Thunderdome. I mean it's tricky because the best stuff is the Dome and they spend an awful lot of time... beyond... it, but there's a kind of goofy Peter Pan charm to the whole thing that works on me more and more with each viewing.

I like it too. I think Tina Turner and Mel Gibson have really good on screen chemistry in the scenes they have together. The Lost Boys stuff halts the pacing dead though.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
For me the problem with Thunderdome is that it feels a lot more artificial and Hollywood than the first two movies which derive a lot of their charm from the seat of their pants feel and cheap but believable production values. I felt very aware I was watching everything take place on a big budget set throughout most of Thunderdome and it just feels like a generic post apoc action movie, Tina Turner isn't bad but it just reinforces this feeling. The action and characters for the most part aren't good enough to make me like the tradeoff and the stuff with the kids is just bad. It's an ok cheesy action movie at best and just compares badly to the other two.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

One that gets me in the original Mad Max is when Max causes some of the bikers to wipe out going over that small bridge. One of the guys falls head first and then while still sliding down the road it seriously looks like his head gets displaced for a second as one of the bikes collides with him, though according to the commentary he was fine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6oux_5w_g#t=1m33

Grant Page, the stuntman who gets clocked in the head in that clip, is indestructible. He's only ever broken one bone, his leg, while commuting to the Mad Max 1 set (his motorbike got hit by a truck). Which meant that he had to this stunt while driving with a leg in plaster.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Made a thread for the game: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554646

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Blind Sally posted:

W/r/t the Humungus=Goose thing, it was my understanding that it came from an early draft of the script that was eventually dropped. A few hints remain that could really be taken either way. There's nothing concrete:
-The Humungus's revolver case contains medals and a picture of some people, presumably a family heirloom, suggesting that he wasn't always such a cretin the Ayatollah of Rock'n'Rolla.
-Close ups of his head show that he may have burn scars. Goose never died in Mad Max, but he did suffer some horrific 3rd degree burns.
-There are a large number of people who seem to be wearing modified MFP uniforms in the gang, suggesting that Goose rounded up some disgruntled cops to go with him.
-Also, The Humungus and Max never really meet, so we never get a chance to see if either recognize each other.

I watched this a couple weeks ago and noted that when Max abandons the survivalists after delivering the rig, Humungus says something like "I'm very disappointed in you, buddy" as Max drives past. Not sure about the last word in that line; it was a little indistinct. But it would give further evidence of his being Goose, if I heard the line correctly.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Meaty Ore posted:

I watched this a couple weeks ago and noted that when Max abandons the survivalists after delivering the rig, Humungus says something like "I'm very disappointed in you, buddy" as Max drives past. Not sure about the last word in that line; it was a little indistinct. But it would give further evidence of his being Goose, if I heard the line correctly.

He delivers that line to Wez. At this point, the Golden Youth had already been killed and The Humungus had to choke him out to settle him down. He's upset that Wez runs off in his car to kill Max. They were there to siege a refinery, not settle petty scores with scavengers and cowards, like Max (really, let the survivalists run--The Humungus had already offered to let them "walk away"). Anyways, the line is actually "I'm very disappointed in you, puppy", as The Humungus had already referred to his soldiers as his "dogs of war."

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Blind Sally posted:

I always thought the gun case was Nazi SS related, suggesting maybe his family had a Nazi background. Would have to see a screen grab.

• Locked thread