Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

You didn't think that the women who have been enslaved as mothers for a new generation, who have gone out of their way throughout the film to show their empathy and kindness, might have some sort of maternal attachment to the young dying misled warboys?
Hah, just realized something. "Our sons will not be warlords."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

During the Santo Domingo festival [in Managua] some people cover themselves in a mix of grease and motor oil to pay promises to the saints while others wear masks and costumes.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managua)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What happens to the Organic Mechanic, anyway? Rewatched it the other day and it occurred to me that the guy just disappears after the scene with Angharad. Much like Miss Giddy, come to think of it, but at least we have a deleted scene for her.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It would help immensely if the wheels looked remotely like they moved.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nux flat out yells at Slit for taking his wheel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WITNESS-A ME, MARIO!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Until I rewatched it on New Years' I never realized how much mileage they're getting out of those bolt cutters.

Halfway comment from one of the folks I introduced to the film (who predictably loved it): "So far the message I'm getting is 'don't let girls join your gang or they'll ruin everything'."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

If anyone has the medicine/equipment to deal with that kind of thing squirrelled away, it's Immortan Joe. (The big scar on Corpus Colossus's chest suggests they're capable of operating on people without killing them, at least.)
Unfortunately they accidentally leave the Organic Mechanic behind when they spot the returning War Rig, because he's taking an inopportunely-timed poo poo. There goes healthcare.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

freebooter posted:

I think it was when I was watching Citizen Kane (or maybe something else from the '40s or '50s) when I realised how jarringly inappropriate so much of the soundtrack is for old films; as though the director and the soundtrack guy weren't in communication at all. And then I realised that was probably a hangover from the days when films were silent and there was an actual band or orchestra present in the theatre, and the conductor would just play what he felt like.
Sin City is a fun one for this. For the first two chapters, the soundtrack blends in nicely, and then in That Yellow Bastard it suddenly jumps to the front and it's like they brought in Danny Elfman for that bit. (It's actually the chapter scored by Rodriguez himself.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was watching Top Gear last night and felt more and more like while god knows Clarkson, May and Hammond aren't actors, they deserve a cameo of some sort. It helped my impression along immensely that it was the one where they cross some African salt flats in cars stripped to the bare frame, that Clarkson kept finding cow skulls and strapping them to his hood and referred to himself as "Mad Jeremy", and that the vice president of Botswana paid them a visit with an entourage of ATVs and a motorized hangglider. I'm picturing a vehicle that's carrying a chintz sofa for no good reason and goes violently and immediately off course and over a cliff as soon as it gets involved in any serious action. Also, "the Pedantic Mechanic."

Seriously though I feel like aerial vehicles are kind of an unexplored direction here.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well yeah, that's what many if not most post-apocalypse movies imagine nowadays. Post-apocalypse may as well mean "a first world country becoming a third world country", once you get past the post-WW2 anxiety about being firebombed and/or surprise attacked. Now the anxiety is about being freed from responsibility while also being socially dominated. This is why you get so many of these post-apoc movies about how lovely it is to be a woman in a cruel world or to be a subsistence farmer to live on a reservation or what have you.
The Road avoided all that quite nicely and was, in that sense, a true post-apocalyptic movie. Its central premise was basically "poo poo's hosed and not getting better."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I haven't seen it since it came out and didn't think much of it. I wonder how it would come across now?
I watched it for the first time only recently and thought primarily it was pretty loving bleak. But then again, when it came out I bought the book and thought the same thing back then, and only watched the movie on Netflix because I'd just reread it, so that was pretty much the expectation. Even The Last of Us is more optimistic about the future of humanity.

And yeah I'm pretty sure I'll watch each of the MCU movies once and thoroughly enjoy them, but I don't feel like I have to be first in line for the midnight release. And the keyword is once. I watched Avengers a second time and got terribly embarrassed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

Basically, there should be a warning sticker on some films and stories that reads: warning: bleak as gently caress.
"Directed by John Hillcoat"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

So besides directing the Mad Max films, George Miller also directed Happy Feet. Everyone seems to dislike that film but it's one of my favorite 3D animated films in recent years. What's this thread's opinion?
Was very pleasantly surprised by the film as a whole, and a little thrown by the realistic looks of the penguins that didn't quite seem to mesh with the very human mouth movements.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I have the Cloud Atlas book, but I haven't read it yet. I feel like I'm gonna like the narrative framework of the movie a lot more.
From what I heard it's structured a bit differently, with the stories nested in chronological order. Always been curious about it too, though.

I liked Cloud Atlas but I kept feeling like it was building towards some kind of revelation or plot twist that tied all the stories together in a larger, or maybe just more explicit, way, and that just failed to happen which left me wondering vaguely what the point was.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is this just one of those things where someone intentionally makes total bullshit points because gently caress it, outrage gets more views and ad revenue than reason?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nah, they're a male-dominated society. You wanna make it as a woman, you have to be a man. There's room for an imperator who happens to be a woman, but there certainly isn't room for the concept of an Imperatrix.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

For anyone who was interested in Uncharted 4, it has a nearly 20 minute gunfight and car chase sequence that's seemingly the closest any video game has come to replicating the feel of a Fury Road car chase.
Can confirm that the actual Mad Max game certainly doesn't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Reminds me of a different Tom Hardy movie if I'm honest.

"Wheb Gothab is ashes... theb you hab by berbission to die."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoever said George Miller was basically making silent movies was spot on. I'm making my way through the first three Mad Max movies for the first time after finding a ridiculously cheap box set and Road Warrior needs what little dialogue it has even less than Fury Road does.

My only weird complaint is that it feels wrong to watch these in crisp DVD quality on a huge flatscreen with the expectation of "I'm finally watching Mad Max!" They belong on lovely tiny tubes in the middle of the night where you happened to catch it ten minutes in and don't know what you're watching but by god you're getting hooked.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So I just got to Beyond Thunderdome.

What the gently caress.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Two movies mashed together" is exactly what it feels like. And one of them's by Spielberg.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm so glad I'm not the only one bothered by that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

early furiosa
Something tells me this wouldn't have gone over as well in feminist circles.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No poo poo 1997, this looks like straight from Tank Girl. As far as I can judge, never having read it...

quote:

Whereas this is straight up Warhammer 40K.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, still looks like a bit of fiddling with the brightness, contrast and gamma will at least get you most of the way there.

Don't have a copy of Fury Road handy to test it out, but on a sidenote, the intro to Ghostbusters is pretty good in b/w.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MMAgCh posted:

It's crappy and it took me way longer to make than it should have. :mediocre:
Don't take this as a dig because that's cool, but the paint on Nux' face looks very Sin City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All games with the bullshit collectible/currency/upgrade loop should feature New Game+ by law. Bad enough to have to go through it once.

• Locked thread