Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just came back from the local premier.

I'm not entirely sure that George Miller is a sane man. No sane human being creates something at this level of insanity. The movie starts at an intensity of about 7 out of 10 and just ramps up from there.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I think I can create a somewhat more coherent opinion on this absolute barrel of crazy.

For one, it has more plot than the second film and a way better presentation than the first and third; all of the cheese and children are dropped in favor of grit. Miller has embraced the stereotypes of the Mad Max-style apocalypse (crazy punk guys in leather with dyed mohawks driving hot rods that no human being would every think of and making suicidal leaps across vehicles in a car chase across the desert) and made a full blown movie out of a car chase. There's fairly little dialogue, but still more than Road Warrior.

The film literally starts with explosions and the chase through the caverns you saw in the trailer. It begins at a level of intensity that would be reserved for the climax of a horror film or thriller and just ratchets up from there until George Miller destroys an entire division's worth of vehicles. Literal Cirque du Soleil gymnasts use massive counterweighted and bending poles to leap onto vehicles with chainsaws and augers, elderly women shoot over a dozen thugs in the head with muskets, people are shot with explosive crossbow bolts and commit suicide with exploding spears. There's a gang whose entire method of combat is to leap dirtbikes and scratch-built motorcycles off of ramps in the canyon so they can hurl grenades down. Someone gets stabbed in the skull with a rifle cartridge.

And the use of practical effects just makes it all the more spectacular, while also making it a wonder that the movie didn't literally kill anybody.

In the end, Furiosa is the protagonist....but that's not a bad thing. Max Rockatansky is an old character, and even putting him in the young body of Tom Hardy (who actually sounds literally exactly like Mel Gibson at some points, to the point where I had to double check that it wasn't a dubbed in line) doesn't mean that he's suddenly become a modern action star. Instead, Furiosa seems poised to be the next hero of the Australian wasteland and Miller himself had already planned to make the next one all about her.

The MRAs have obviously clung to their fantasy of it being "disgusting feminist propaganda", but Charlize Theron said in an interview that Miller didn't set out to make a feminist film. What he does is simply not care about the gender of the heroes. Furiosa and the many other female characters in the film aren't treated any differently as heroes or strong characters because of their gender; there's no "I am a strong woman" speeches or any misogyny displayed by the villains beyond the existence of Joe's female slaves. Femininity is indeed a big part of it, as Joe has enslaved women entirely for purposes that only women can provide (such as breeding warriors), but they never make a big deal about women overcoming men or displaying misogynists only to have them shown what for to prove a point. They're strong characters because they're strong characters, not because George Miller specifically wanted to say "Women can beat up men."

quote:

Strange to hear that lots of people are in empty theaters, we sold out almost two hours before the first show. Granted that's only 130 seats but it's a small town and theres 6 other--and much larger--screens running it along with us.

Likewise, we had a very small crowd. I honestly have no idea why, especially with word of mouth playing such a big part.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dreffen posted:

I feel like this isn't getting enough love because they did a lot of good things with this and sourcing some/most of the riffs from the guitar guy and holy poo poo that guitar guy and the drums. Good movie.

The guitar guy is one of the best and craziest parts of the movie. Immortan Joe literally has a vehicle with drummers and an ear-shatteringly loud amplifier setup with a flamethrower electric guitar, for no reason other than to provide his own soundtrack for battle. When the guitar gets used as a weapon, they even work the sounds it makes when it smashes skulls into the soundtrack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thehomemaster posted:

So what's with all the people decrying how fake it looks?

They literally didn't see the movie or don't know that it was practical effects and assume that it "must have been fake" because they can't imagine doing that stuff for real? I knew before going in that it was 80-90% practical effects and real stunts and they had over 150 stuntmen in the credits. Even the dust storm scene noticeably includes some practical effects (like it was filmed with a wind machine and dust on the actors and actual driving in the desert that's augmented with CGI). It has 1500 VFX shots done by the post-production team, which is half that of Age of Ultron.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm a veteran of all four Transformers movies and in Michael Bay's combined 11 hours and one BILLION dollar budget there wasn't a single shot as awe-inspiring as when the fuel tanker exploded.

You can give WETA and ILM as much time and money as they want and they'll still never beat what you can do with some air pistons, a few mortars, and a shitload of kerosene.

The movie really cared about the presentation of the crashes. I can see why filming took so many years even with the move from Australia, because the movie is basically a massive action sequence broken up with quiet parts rather than the other way around. I think Tom Hardy's stunt double spent over a month filming just the stuff where Max is chained up as the blood bag, which should give you an idea of how long it took to film the opening chases.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm just going to completely ignore MisterBibs and all of his replies because he is a wrong human being.

I really think that Miller wanted to set up Furiosa as the new protagonist for the sequel. He initially wanted to film this and her own movie back to back, but I think that the cost and risk involved kept him from jumping straight into it.

The fight between Furiosa and Max was really well done. It incorporated virtually everyone involved and had some really great sound design with the Glock involved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

so wait did his kid die? and what happened to his dog?

Yeah, he died. The doctors mention that Sprog was killed instantly and his wife is in critical condition, with the assumption that she died during or after his rampage. And didn't he not have a dog in the first film?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Good movie, its like Borderlands the movie that is Mad Max the game.

I actually found it really reminded me of Rage. They have really similar post-apocalyptic aesthetic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

effectual posted:

Mad Max 3 is a bit of a mess but still has enough cool parts to be worth watching.

Ehhhh. I consider it worth watching purely so you can understand the pop culture references. As an actual movie it's terribly flawed. One of the first is that they went for a PG-13 rating, which resulted in an absolute minimum of deaths and lots of sanitized violence where people are simply knocked unconscious or harmlessly thrown around.

It starts out seeming like it'll be cool with Bartertown and lots of awesome and crazy wasteland civilization, but ends up suddenly flying off to deal with children (introducing a community entirely of children is often a terrible idea because kids are almost resoundingly awful in movies not based around them, and Mad Max of all things is one of the worst universes to do it); this might be the cause of some of the PG-13 rating, as you can always show kids swinging on things to dropkick people in the face or punching adults in the nose but you can't show them shooting them in the eye with a .44 Magnum.

It doesn't really become a Mad Max movie until the final minutes, when they deliver the only car chase of the whole film and it ends up mostly being mediocre. Even the vehicles are kind of a mess; they wanted to go further with the "wasteland scavenger" look, resulting in weird and ugly cars made of canvas, hide, and bone that look nothing like the punk aesthetic that the film made famous. There's few or no vehicles that are actually built on real vehicles, instead using tribal contraptions that barely look like they should have engines.

Beyond Thunderdome did contribute a lot to pop culture, but it's not really much of a Mad Max film. It goes from R-rated car chases and shotgun-wielding men in leather throwing each other under the wheels to a PG-13 romp in the desert with a band of spunky tribal kids and all the bad guys just getting punched in the face and dropped onto the sand at low speeds where they'll barely break a bone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

The whole thing is a cartoon, and at a certain point basically all of the characters motivations become totally obscured. Like I still have no idea why they went back to bartertown at all. And I have less of an idea why Auntie let Max live after he destroyed her entire town beyond repair when just a few days before she was willing to kill him over the much smaller slight of not killing Blaster. The movie is a real poo poo show.

They probably figured on going back to Bartertown because otherwise it would have been wasted. Bartertown is the most fleshed out and central part of the movie, but Max gets sent away to deal with the stupid and annoying child tribe. It breaks up everything and brings the momentum the movie had been building up to a screeching halt.

And yeah, the ending of Beyond Thunderdome is one of the most absolutely bullshit things. It's almost like the writers wrote themselves into a corner and couldn't think of any reasonable way to conclude the film (that didn't involve a bigger, more explosive car chase that they didn't have the time for) and just had Auntie Entity go "Welp, you're badass. You may live."

TheJoker138 posted:

So here's a spoilery question: The little girl he keeps having flashbacks and visions of, near the end, calls him "pa" in one of them. Have they retconned Sprog into being a girl (and older) or is the implication that sometime between the events of the previous films and this he had another kid who also died?

They did. Honestly, I like the change. It lets them exploit Max's PTSD further than they could have if they religiously stuck to continuity.

A word of warning regarding continuity: the Mad Max films are effectively tall tales. The first three are indeed continuations of one another, but the second and third are shown by the finale to be basically stories of his journey told to a tribe. Max is sort of a legend character, and Fury Road is supposed to be one of the many legends of him. That's why he has his Pursuit Special at the beginning and it gets destroyed at the end, when Road Warrior had the exact same thing.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 15, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

They did which? The retcon? And yeah, I get the tall tale/folk legend thing. It's just a few things have remained consistent between the previous films, and this change is a new, and pretty big one.

Yeah, it was retconned. Also I think this version of Max was a military police guy rather than MFP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I actually really liked the color palette for the film. It brought it out of the desaturated grays and browns that far too many post-apocalypse films have used. I also know that they had to do a lot of color correction because they did some shots (I think the ones in the Citadel) in Australia and all of the Namibia filming had to be edited to match the look of Australia; if you watch the B-roll footage you'll see that Africa has a very khaki color.

Also, was I really the only one who didn't mind the night shots? I took the deep blues as an artistic choice rather than an effort to authentically simulate night. Miller does a lot of things in this that are artistic choices, some of which violate typical action film conventions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jenny Angel posted:

Kinda out-of-nowhere question, but for those who have seen it, is the violence in this generally more cartoony and stylized? My fiancée, who I might be seeing this with, isn't a fan of brutal, bone-snappy violence a la Drive, but I assume there's not a lot of that to go around here, given what I've seen in previews?

The vast majority of the gore is simply blood sprays and stabbing, or bloodless bodies running under wheels. Any really gory stuff like potential dismemberment and squashed body parts are cut away from or implied off-screen. The goriest thing to happen in full view is an explosive crossbow bolt to the chest that exposes his ribcage, but he ends up flying away from the camera as it happens so it doesn't linger. It's about as gory as your average Call of Duty game, if that gives perspective.

Also, just to confirm, there's no rapey stuff at all. It's implied in the backstory, but there's absolutely zero sexual assault and almost zero sexual content that's not kept in the background. The closest thing is the women being pumped for their milk, which doesn't really have any sexual overtones to it. Disturbing, yes, but not sexual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ror posted:

I think this movie could/should be straight-up PG-13, but I also don't know much about the details of the rating system. It's actually tough for me to even think of too many graphically violent parts.

The goriest bit was mentioned earlier, it's probably the really short shot near the end when Joe's mask/jaw gets ripped off. You barely see it and then you later get another split-second shot of his body where you can just barely see the gore. In fact, anything that could be considered gory is going to be in a fast cut. The only other thing I can think of is when the old mother who has the seeds gets slashed. It looks really bad the moment you see it happen, but every time you see here after that the wound is mostly covered and not graphic.

Quite honestly, the most R-rated part for me was mostly done through dialogue/offscreen: The wasteland Caesarean. Stuff like that and the implied backstories made it feel R, not the blood.

There's even one bit that I thought was gory from the trailer but isn't really. That shot where the motorcycle hits the side of the War Rig and gets pulled under the wheels and there's a puff of red. I thought that was an edited bloody scene, but the guy is actually holding those colored smoke signal canisters and a red one bursts when he gets run over.

It has a ton of language (PG-13 films only get a single "gently caress" to use) and what little gore is there is probably enough to help tip it over the edge.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Don't forget about the milking nudity.

If I remember correctly, the milk pumps obscured the nipples. Nipples are the big thing for ratings because our society is literally terrified to acknowledge that women have them outside of a sexual context, so covering them up keeps the rating down even if the majority of the boob is hanging out.

On the other hand, there IS a naked woman later on who more than makes up for that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a little humor, mostly from The Dag (the really sarcastic blonde wife).

"I thought you weren't crazy any more?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still find Nux's "He looked at me!" "He was scanning the horizon!" arguing with Slit hilarious.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ror posted:

For some reason the scene where Max washes with it is the part about the milk that stuck with me the most. It's such a strange and understated moment but it really works with the intertwining themes of life-giving motherhood and the gross and wasteful survivalism.

The audience cracked up/screamed in horror during that. There's a short pause after Max is told what it is, then he just loving dives in without even a shrug.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing to be aware of is that the trailers really understate the level of crazy in the movie. The majority of the stunts (almost every one that doesn't show Max in his leather jacket) come from the opening chase.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ror posted:

I think it was just chrome spray paint.

You too, like Charlie Kelly before you, can enter berserker mode in the real world!

It seems like because of the worship the War Boys have for vehicles (they literally pull steering wheels for their chosen vehicle off of a religious altar), they also have a reverence for chrome as being a sign of a superior car; look at how much chrome Immortan Joe's Gigahorse has compared to most of the vehicles in his retinue. By giving themselves a "chrome grill", they therefore show their dominance and superiority over others before sacrificing themselves and guaranteeing a spot in Valhalla.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

The sound design is equally insane.

The sound design alone should win an Oscar. The music is epic enough that I can still remember the big car chase orchestral piece perfectly (you can listen to it on a loop here), but it also incorporates the gunfire and vehicle roars into the background seamlessly. It's one of the extremely few movies where gunshots feel powerful, and the sound design is one of the main reasons to see this on the big screen with a huge surround sound system.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

What the poo poo were the creepy long legged strider things in the swamp?

It's probably a good thing they didn't stop to see.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Forgot to mention, there was a group of guys at the local showing in Altamonte Springs (part of Orlando) two rows down from me. One of them noticeably had a very punk haircut, like he made a ponytail and then shaved everything along the sides of it.

They started cheering when his name came up in the credits as an extra.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I read an article (van fair maybe?) that said miller and the screenwriter spent a lot of the development hell time coming up with backstories for a ton of the characters and stuff. Like they said every steering wheel has a backstory.

Wtf

And awesome.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The steering wheels are all unique to each car and literally placed on a religious altar, with the War Boys taking their chosen machine for glorious battle. Each vehicle and its wheel is completely unique.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Viginti posted:

While we're making GBS threads on MRA's I think it's important to note that they were against the movie before actually seeing it. All of their arguments were already invalid, but they actually had no idea just how feminist the film was going to be.

Have there been any counter arguments about how sexist the movie is yet? How it's misogynistic to have Milk farms, braless wives and genital mutilation via ropeburn? Will Miller have to quit twitter soon?

Speaking as someone who's actually on Tumblr often, they're LOVING this movie. The fact that it pissed off MRAs means they're already going in biased in its favor and people are even seeing it purely because it pisses off whiny pissbabies, but everyone is coming back in love with Charlize Theron and howling about how amazing the depiction of women is. I literally don't know of any more feminist film than this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crisco Kid posted:

I need a 500 page Fury Road art, design, backstory, making-of, and interview book ASAP

I can provide B-roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kK-CbqH0k

Be warned, minor spoilers. But this does prove that at least some things, even the really crazy ones, were practical.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spaceman Future! posted:

I have to say, in sequence I love basically every scene in this movie but I had to contain a giddy fit when the

old recently blinded man is emptying his guns madly in the direction of Furiosa and Max, screaming "I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE". just... SO GOOD

That was awesome and hilarious. The guy just goes right into it, like he completely forgot the rest of his life.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

net cafe scandal posted:

I won't be able to see this until finals are over, but how's the soundtrack? The score on the trailers is so loving sick.

Think the awesome score from the trailers, but intermingled with gunfire and engines that seamlessly work into it. At least one chase has little to no music and is nothing but the sounds of car chase.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm not gonna lie, my eyes were tearing up during the opening chase. Not because I was some gigantic Mad Max fanboy loving what Miller did to it, but because it was just that powerful. It's quite literally a masterpiece of violence.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

victrix posted:

Oh, something else I didn't catch on first viewing and makes me feel like a total idiot

At the very end

When Max is telling Furiosa his name, I realized he was saying it as much to himself as to her. I am Max. Not whatever ragged rear end semi-beast he was at the beginning of the film.

Anyone found a good shot of the tattoos on his back? I think there's one in the trailer maybe, I could make out something about 'a Road Warrior', but there's more writing on there.

One of the lines was indicating his status as a universal blood donor, and another listed his scars. I think it was basically a full medical diagnosis permanently affixed to his flesh.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also the grappling hook on the back of the War Rig and Max playing with the music box that he gave to the Feral Kid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Batham posted:

Holy gently caress this movie.

The scene when they're holding off the bikers from the truck when Max and Furiosa finally start working together. (The scene during which the music linked below is playing):tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgYnKu8RYAU

Beautiful movie with magnificent, top notch action. I really hope that this won't end up being 2015's "Edge of Tomorrow", since I wouldn't mind 4 more Mad Max movies.

I really hope this movie's soundtrack becomes iconic in pop culture. A lot of movies and TV shows, I have trouble remembering their original music even immediately after viewing. This song? I can pull it out of my head any time I want.

quote:

I'm curious as to why you'd phrase Miller's words this way. Every woman in this movie absolutely needed to be female, and likewise, every man in this movie needed to be male. When you say stuff like "he simply didn't care about gender" you're really trivializing the creative process.

It's not a matter of phrasing Miller and Theron's words that way. Direct quote from Charlize Theron:

"I think George didn't have a feminist agenda up his sleeve....George has this innate understanding that women are just as complex and interesting as men. Through his need and want for the truth, he actually made an incredible feminist movie."

Miller himself has commented that he initially didn't have the role of Furiosa in the script, but came to add on a female hero after realizing that one would be necessary for the specific goal Max was trying to achieve with rescuing the wives. He never set out to make something feminist, but did set out to make a movie with female action heroes and major roles. The movie is feminist, but only because of how skillfully Miller handled it. He never had the movie say "Women are just as tough as men" or have anyone act shocked that a woman beat them in battle or anything like that. Furiosa is a strong woman, not strong because she's a woman. Tom Hardy even said that Miller is the kind of guy who would make a transgender action hero, not to specifically make a pro-trans film but because he wanted to have a transgender character.

It's basically a difference in motivation. He made a feminist film not because he specifically wanted to make something to advocate feminism, but because he took a story based heavily around women and treated them all as fairly as the men.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna listen to the entire OST while at work.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

victrix posted:

I really appreciate the irony of this movie coming out the same year as the new Terminator film

(also I'd like to thank studio fuckwits for spoiling the whole 'twist' in the film during the trailer, appreciated, not that I expected it to be good, but ya know)

2015 has been a year for a new Star Wars, Terminator, Jurassic Park, and Mad Max. So far, Star Wars is the only one of those to get nearly the amount of excitement as Mad Max and almost entirely based on its status as an impossibly famous legacy series.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Panzeh posted:

It felt like the best part of the Road Warrior writ large and that's pretty much exactly what I wanted. It was also quite beautiful, and the doof wagon was amazing.

Fury Road literally jumps into an intensity on par with the finale of The Road Warrior within 20 minutes and builds on that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Was she the dark-haired wife who counts all the different bullets in the war rig and matches them with their weapons? 'Cause she was my favorite.

Yeah, that's her. The other I remember by heart is The Dag (the really sarcastic and waify blonde). Then there's Cheedo the Fragile (the brunette who wants to give up) and Capable (the redhead).

I only vaguely remember how to spell the branded pregnant blonde's name.

Edit: I just remembered something from when I saw it. After the dust storm capping off the first big car chase, the screen goes black and everything silent. I turned to my mom next to me and asked "What the gently caress movie did I just drag you into?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bullet3 posted:

And with all that, it still looks like it'll lose to Pitch Perfect 2 at the boxoffice. I just don't get it, every garbage transformers movie is able to open to a 100 million no problem, here we have the most acclaimed movie of the year, wall to wall advertising, and STILL people don't go to theaters to see it.

It's becoming clear the audience deserves lovely movies, because they sure as poo poo don't reward the great ones.

I really can't figure out why. Pitch Perfect was pretty average and still pulls some lovely jokes about fat women despite being ostensibly feminist, and 2 is literally 30% lower than Mad Max on Rotten Tomatoes about almost 3 points below it on IMDB. But people are flocking to it while Mad Max has been sitting behind.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I noticed that a lot of the preview shots were done in the desaturated, very gray tones of typical post-apocalypse films even though the film and trailers are full color and brightly saturated. I wonder what the goal of that was?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been trying my hardest to get people in seats. I'm literally telling every friend I can individually why they should go see it and bugging them until they do. I've even offered to pay for two people's tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

One of the dudes I saw this with last night was going on and on and on today about how he hated "The stupid, pointless romance between Max and Furiosa". I'm like, did we see the same movie ? So we got into an argument about it, because he couldn't get his head around the fact that a man and woman can work together without banging.

Of course, this dude is a whiny, perpetually single quasi-MRA with a rash of issues with women. I shouldn't be surprised.

Are you sure he was there and wasn't a hallucination brought about by the film? Because the only other option is that he kept his eyes closed for the entire movie and tried to understand it via sound.

• Locked thread