Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That's a poo poo idea.

:agreed:

Especially since, you know, the only thing that implies they're in Australia, and not anywhere is the accent, and the side of the car that the steering wheel is on (although I noticed it switched for Fury Road)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

What you're describing is not direction, though :)

The making of Alien is also far messier than what that snippet implies. There was no one person with a unified vision of the final movie - it was a struggle between multiple people that miraculously ended up with the best possible outcome. I don't remember how serious that idea from Scott was, but it wasn't the worst idea thrown around by far. At one point the producers were talking about Genghis loving Kahn fighting the alien! Which, by the way, wasn't actually an alien in some of the drafts, because the derelict ship was a human research vessel.

Whenever I hear things like this, it's absolutely fascinating to me how many iconic movies started out batshit and somehow became good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

freebooter posted:

Max is a cipher. Every movie is always going to be built around the structure of the lone wanderer encountering some people, being reluctant to help them, eventually securing a better life for them and then melting off into the wasteland again. It's a very old trope from storytelling. Even the Man With No Name in the Eastwood films seems old now, but it dates all the way back to the idea of ronin or knights errant, probably further back than that.

It's also a neat little explanation for the reboot - for why Max is a different actor and why the events of the four films don't make chronological sense. You can think of Max as being a sort of legend of the wasteland, with all kinds of different heroes being mapped onto him as an icon.

Which is why I wouldn't want to see a sequel which is anything other than Max in his Interceptor again, encountering an entirely new location and set of characters. Furiosa, the wives, the Citadel - their story is over. You can think about the power vacuum and the adjustment of the Citadel into a more humane society, but is that really, actually, the kind of story you want to see in a sequel to Fury Road, which had such a brilliantly powerful yet simple story, built around a car chase? Of course not. On the other hand somebody further up wanted to see a Brotherhood-of-Steel style Chinese dropship so maybe you do.

All the movies after the original are framed this way. Max is that +1 bonus that gives just enough to turn the tide from a complete destruction to creating a thriving new society free from the remnants of the dead old world.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serperoth posted:

Could just be cooler stuff that didn't fit the Fury Road narrative, or stuff that they wanted to expand on in their own film rather than having it be part of something else.

A lot of cut content (even if it's just ideas) is often lesser, but there's a lot of potential explanations, and I doubt that out of 10 years of pre-production they only had enough material for 2 hours.

10 years of development from someone who did great previous world building in the same world means there's probably a hell of a lot that's in that world even if it's only outlined.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

We do call it petrol. In Road Warrior though they decided to say gasoline to make it easier to understand for Americans who were having trouble with the Australian accents already. But the Gyro Captain's thick Strine made it sound more like "guzzoline" and as it was kind of suitable it stuck.

Mad Max has a lot of things like that though. There was a character in Thunderdome named Blackfinger, and in Fury Road Nox was a Blackfinger, which implied it was the new word for mechanic. Little details like that are part of the themes about the way the world has been evolving.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I watched it again while sobering up on Saturday morning.

I think that the final chase sequence is one of the best pieces of film making I've seen in a long time. For me I think that it's going to be one of those sequences that, no matter how many times I've seen it, I'm going to be completely on the edge of my seat as if this time they just might not be able to pull it off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Serperoth posted:

I seem to be one of the few people to enjoy MMFR that I know of. I've heard stuff from "cool action but not the greatest thing ever" to "no script whatsoever". Yeah the film was light on words, but it was doing more with images, and still had a better/clearer message than half the blockbusters going around these days.

Miller likes to direct these movies like silent films.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My Lovely Horse posted:

So I just got to Beyond Thunderdome.

What the gently caress.

I don't dislike Thunderdome, but the last time I watched it, it felt like it was two movies that got mashed together. Plus no Black on Black.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's because Miller left the project at one point, right? I think some friend of his died and he went into depression.

Byron Kennedy died, George Miller's other half for the first two movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

The tag team of Lucas and Spielberg changed film in a much more drastic and revolutionary way than anything else that's come along since, Harry Potter included. Before Star Wars, Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T, stuff like Harry Potter would have been considered B movie material regardless of how many books were sold.

Lucas and especially Spielberg brought the craft and artistry of New Hollywood, but their genius was in combining that with old school B-movie sensibilities. It changed everything, stuff like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, and every one of these comic book franchises wouldn't exist if that ground had been broken.

If anyone bought the Mad Max Blu-Ray anthology, I highly recommend watching the "Madness of Max" bonus DVD. Having been born after the first one (and thankfully not been exposed to the English overdub), I never realized what the original Mad Max brought to film, as it was all old hat by the time I comprehended a movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xealot posted:

The Matrix was deeply influential on genre filmmaking, but nobody's clamoring for a "Matrix Origins: Merovingian" spinoff or whatever to scour every corner of that world. I guess I'm not stating my terms clearly enough.

That's because Matrix 2 and 3 were terribly botched. Had either managed to live up to the first Matrix, I have no doubt that people would clamor for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The thing is most of those questions can be answered from careful watching. Furiosa lost her arm in some distant combat (which isn't talked about because it's Max's movie, despite what some may say). Joe's religion is a mishmash of random heavy metal bullshit because it sounds cool and kids who've grown up post-apocalyptic won't know any better anyway. I once heard someone describe Joe's religion as a faith built out of Motorhead liner notes. And since I keep hearing people ask about the half-life illness I'm just gonna repost my earlier thoughts on the subject:

I think the best part about this stuff that adds backstory without having to spend an hour on explaining the backstory, because in the end it doesn't matter. All of the Mad Max movies are like this. In the end it doesn't matter what happened to Lord Humongous, but he's still the leader of the warband at the oil derrick, and same goes for Immortan Joe. It doesn't matter how these people got that way because it's not at all important to the story.

Possibly Chicken posted:

The Stream of Deadpool rip offs coming out is gonna insufferable.

I hope it'll kill the nothing but superheroes all the time craze at least :pray:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vagabundo posted:

You don't like superhero movies? Don't go to them, and stop being such a baby having a tanty about them. You're being :mediocre:.

I don't dislike superhero movies, I'm just getting fatigued by the glut of them at the moment :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Sorry in advance for the blurry lovely quality of the pics. The artbook is huge and my scanner isn't big enough.

So the book opens with concept art and character histories and stuff for all the major charctors, then moves on to talk about each scene one by one.

A couple more Immortan concepts.

And some shots of the citidel, which didn't really change much besides the crumbling skyscraper there. (Speaking of, that mountain pass they go through was originally going to be this ruined and sand-covered cityscape.)

I doubt you can read that but this was the first shot Miller had in mind for the movie and it didn't change at all ever. Ever since Mad Max 3 he had this idea of the opening shot of Max staring out into the wastes, contemplating driving into this place where no one ever returns. Also fun fact: It was originally the same salt flats that they end up at at the end of the film. Adds something to the scene of Max chasing them down across the plain to bring back Furiosa and the Wives, especially his line there.

Speaking of Furiosa, here's some concept art of her. Not a great deal of change over the original at this point but the arm designs are badass

The Warboys! Everyone originally had this blue hair, war paint thing going on. Check out that loving Codpiece on Nux up there, holy poo poo. You can see what I mean when I say at some point everyone was making Fury Road as a sequel to Thunderdome instead of its own thing.

Nothing special about these two, I just like the hover car and storyboards. That top one was supposed to be the Buzzards I think, who in this version drove hover cars. Yeah.

Buy the art book its amaaaazing

Where can I get my own copy?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

The comics had value in fleshing out the world, but that's about it. If you want to know the origin story of Immortan Joe and Nux and find out how the Wives convinced Furiosa to help them escape, read them. Have fun learning about how Joe anally rapes Toast the Knowing because that's outright stated in there.

:stare: well, I was interested once.

From what I read on Wikipedia, the issue about Max sounds like the plot for the video game, so just play that, because it owns. I will highly recommend not shooting for 100% completion of anything before the finial battle because there's no NG+, which is egregious since you get some cool stuff at the end :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deakul posted:

"The Gang Visits Valhalla"

Charlie is most definitely Max

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's such a travesty that there isn't a new game plus for the game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's got to be a way to cheat engine something similar to this into it on pc.

I'm on PS4 :negative:

• Locked thread