Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I think it's worth mentioning that near the completion of the Emperor's New Groove, Sting almost had his name taken off of the credits because he felt the waterpark at the end unfairly sold the concepts of greed and commercialization to children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait what? The waterpark model literally just becomes a birdhouse, the waterpark doesn't get built.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I paid good money to rent this movie years ago for some kids and if you guys are bewildered by this piece of poo poo, you should see the confused reactions of a 5 year old watching it.
They don't even know what a Ray Loilta is.
Honestly this is abortion of a movie. The whole human/bee relationship is just loving insane. I've got no idea how Seinfeld of all people didn't realise how poo poo it was before it got started. I'm sure it must be some kind of satire I don't get or a Kaufman like joke.

That all said I found one of last lines pretty funny due to how absurd the whole movie is That bee stole my life!

I thought a lot of the stuff that didn't make sense about the movie was :thejoke:. Most of the humor, as I remember it, wasn't bee puns so much as everyone pointing out the that whole premise made no sense. Of course, that doesn't make it actually funny.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Wait what? The waterpark model literally just becomes a birdhouse, the waterpark doesn't get built.

There might have been a different version. God knows ENG got its share of frenetic revisions.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, they actually changed it after his complaint.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pick posted:

I am indeed tempted to review Shark Tale.

I for one would love a whole "Pick Watches Justly Forgotten Animated Films So You Don't Have To" series. "Bee Movie" so far comes across as just as batshit insane as "Foodfight", except it supposedly had some effort put into it?

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 18, 2013

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
No no, watch Little Bee!

edit oh god don't

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 18, 2013

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rahonavis posted:

I for one would love a whole "Pick Watches Justly Forgotten Animated Films So You Don't Have To" series. "Bee Movie" so far comes across as just as batshit insane as "Foodfight", except it supposedly had some effort put into it?

If you go through with this, please cover some of the later Don Bluth movies. For us. For the world

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rahonavis posted:

I won't lie, Shark Tale might be a bit of a disappointment, because though indescribably awful, it makes more sense and holds together better than Bee Movie. (Imagine, if you can, an even stupider Dragonheart.) I never thought I would compliment Shark Tale in any way, but there you are.

I mean, in Bee Movie, you have bee hives billed as Jewish prison camps, but the world goes to poo poo when they stop. What the gently caress?

Interestingly, in both Bee Movie (so far) and Shark Tale, the main villain (Patrick? I think? and then Shark Mafia Boss) are unambiguously the most sympathetic characters. Although Patrick is kind of a douche and Shark Mafia Boss is a loving father and all-around good guy :psyduck:. It's like someone forgot that the villain has to do villainous things, especially if the protagonists spend most of the film doing villainous things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No no, watch Little Bee!

edit oh god don't

jesus

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 18, 2013

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Without really watching that view I'm sort of weirded out just how much those bees in Little Bee look like Jimmy Neutron characters.

Or is it just me?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No no, watch Little Bee!

edit oh god don't

Haven't watched much of this, but I think the writing on it is actually much better than Bee Movie's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one thing I think Bee Movie will be remembered for is just how insanely heavily it was hyped, well out of proportion to the extent anyone could have cared about it. Jerry Seinfeld was EVERYWHERE promoting this thing, there were special promotions for NBC called "Bee Movie TV Juniors" just to make it confusing, that led directly into the "Seinfeldvision" episode of 30 Rock (which is interesting at least in its acute foreshadowing of how far NBC would continue to fall), and of course after the movie had come out and made some not really memorable amount of money (I think it was successful? But nobody cared), for some reason that drat bee shows up at the Oscars.

It was just weird.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

made some not really memorable amount of money (I think it was successful? But nobody cared)

According to Wikipedia:

Budget $150 million
Box office $287,594,577

But yeah that was really bizarre, for like six months it was just BEE MOVIE BEE MOVIE BEE MOVIE BEE MOVIE and I don't even remember it being in theaters or anyone I know seeing it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Hell, I'd forgotten this movie even existed until I stumbled upon this thread. I did vaguely remember Shark's Tale though, since that's been mentioned.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just further proof that Larry David was all the brains behind Seinfeld. Anyone see that awful marriage umpire show he cooked up?

BTW, fantastic thread, Pick

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No no, watch Little Bee!

edit oh god don't

Not only is this more informative than Bee Movie within the first ten minutes, holy god, the main character is voiced by Ash Ketchum

[edit]Oh, are we nominating terrible forgotten animated films for Pick to watch? Because I've got to nominate Hoodwinked, the hee-larious 2005 fractured fairytale featuring the animation and topical humor of 1996. I haven't seen it, but I've never forgotten how hard it was pushed or how really very cruddy it looked. [/edit]

bagshotrow fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 18, 2013

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

bagshotrow posted:

Oh, are we nominating terrible forgotten animated films for Pick to watch? Because I've got to nominate Hoodwinked

On that note, I might as well toss Doogal in the pile. I'm not enjoying the resurgence of all these CG crapfests in my brain, might as well force it on everyone else.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES

quote:

That expression is classic Newman. Wayne Knight should have voiced him for sure. Was he so sick of being typecast that he wanted nothing more to do with Seinfeld?

"Hello, Barry..."

PicklesMcGillicuddy fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 18, 2013

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd completely forgotten (thankfully) most of the plot of Bee Movie, I just remembered the weird Jew analogues and that there was the question resounding around the film: 'why the hell did he follow up the most loved TV comedy ever with THIS?'.

It doesn't really work on any level, as most kids aren't down for Larry King or Ray Liotta jokes and most adults would realise that the movie doesn't even function properly on any internal logic, or even generous Nickelodeon style insanity.

Is Shark Tale the same level of quality? All I remember was the awful, awful, awful Christina Aguilera cover of 'Carwash' they were slinging as a tie in.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Shark Tale is bad, but there's at least SOME logic and sense of cohesiveness to it. You can at least see what the movie was trying to do. Bee Movie is just :psyduck: the whole way through.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the joke might really be as stupidly simple as the fact that Ray Liotta is one of those actors that's known for being in a lot of B-movies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, my eyes have been opened. I'd assumed Bee Movie was basically Antz with a different New York Jewish comedian in the lead role, but nope. A talking bee lusts after a human woman, then takes the American farming system to court. And I just looked at the Wikipedia plot summary to find that things get even loving weirder. :wtc: Is this Seinfeld's version of Freddie Got Fingered?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Isn't the joke something stupid like being a rip-off of Newman's Own Salad Dressing? Just Actor Name + Food Product = joke? :psyduck:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can perfectly imagine an episode of Seinfeld starting, George and Jerry sitting in the coffeeshop, having a bored conversation about bees demanding justice from humans, and everything that entails, and the audience laughs because it's stupid. Then Elaine comes in and they all start talking about something else.

This exact situation happened in real life, only Elaine never came in. And George was Steven Spielberg. Or Michael Eisner.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

I found some more Bee Movie slash you're welcome.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

I found some more Bee Movie slash you're welcome.

Thank you so much :911:.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

FutonForensic posted:

On that note, I might as well toss Doogal in the pile. I'm not enjoying the resurgence of all these CG crapfests in my brain, might as well force it on everyone else.

Holy crap, how did they enlist all of these celebrities? At what point does a hollywood actor develop a sense of dignity that says "What? That looks loving awful. I'm not doing that." The very presence of Jimmy Fallon and Whoopi Goldberg should have been a red flag for some of these people.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The best thing to come out of Bee Movie were the live action trailers, especially the one with Jerry being passive aggressive with Steven Spielberg

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bagshotrow posted:

Holy crap, how did they enlist all of these celebrities? At what point does a hollywood actor develop a sense of dignity that says "What? That looks loving awful. I'm not doing that." The very presence of Jimmy Fallon and Whoopi Goldberg should have been a red flag for some of these people.

It was a British animated movie that the Weinsteins decided to distribute stateside. The only voice actor who remained in the transition was Ian McKellen, every other character was re-dubbed with American actors because apparently American children can only understand American :911:

They not only re-dubbed the characters but re-wrote the dialogue, and in the case of Kevin Smith's character gave a character that was originally mute an internal monologue. The production was a pretty fascinating trainwreck of trying to copy Dreamworks' success with Shrek but seeming to have no idea what kids actually like.

The best thing to come of it was when Roger Ebert was on The Daily Show around the time and Jon Stewart was making light of how awful his lines in the movie were.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

bagshotrow posted:

Celebrities like voice acting because they get an entire movie's pay for a day of work.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Plus unless you're doing something really different like Rango, you can just come in to the recording booth and dress however you want.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why is this film suddenly loving everywhere? Did the entire internet have a Bee Movie day that I somehow missed? Why am I so pumped for a Bee Movie thread?

You know that poo poo in 'John Dies at the End' that claims when you hear a new word (or idea) for the very first time, you will hear it again within 24 hours?

Yeah, it's true. It happened to me and Zebraz Pants.

I can't believe this is what we got out of Jerry. And yet, he goes on to make something good like Comedians Getting Coffee in Cars. Maybe JS is one of those guys that really needs another person or two to bounce ideas off on.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

every other character was re-dubbed with American actors because apparently American children can only understand American :911:

No, it happened because in a year that also gave us Robots (Robin Williams), Corpse Bride (Johnny Depp), Chicken Little (Zach Braff), Hoodwinked (Anne Hathaway), and Madagascar (Ben Stiller), parents with young children plunking down forty bucks for an evening at the movies are not going to settle for (Jim Broadbent) and (Tom Baker).

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

The Time Dissolver posted:

No, it happened because in a year that also gave us Robots (Robin Williams), Corpse Bride (Johnny Depp), Chicken Little (Zach Braff), Hoodwinked (Anne Hathaway), and Madagascar (Ben Stiller), parents with young children plunking down forty bucks for an evening at the movies are not going to settle for (Jim Broadbent) and (Tom Baker).

Wow, what a really terrible year for animation. I don't remember even seeing this movie publicized in my city.

And I'm having a lot of trouble imagining Jon Stewart and Tom Baker portraying the same role.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
The one thing I remember about this movie, which you touch on briefly, is that honey is literally EVERYTHING. Fuel? Honey. Money? Honey. Hair gel? Honey.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Clicking this thread was the best decision I've made in a while. Please do Doogal next!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Chapter 10: this bee's loving face, jesus

One of the reasons I've slightly put off this chapter is it's a difficult chapter for me to watch or think about, since it's so loving offensive on so many levels.

Patrick comes home to see Vanessa totally having an affair with this loving bee. Now I know that different people have different standards for "cheating". I mean, her lips aren't around his penis, but this is about 92% of the way there. They're sharing dinner alone together at Vanessa/Patrick's place without Patrick, and without even letting Patrick know, while they make the creepiest loving goo-goo eyes at one another (while Blue is sitting in Barbie furniture that Vanessa has for some reason). There are red roses on the table, naturally. Vanessa, of course, made dinner for Blue and they're celebrating and by the way, that's why I thought the case was over last time, when it actually wasn't. The resolution is dumber than Ray Liotta hating Jews. But I digress!

quote:

:mad: Well, hello.
:j: Ken!
:smug: Hello.
:j: ... Oh, uhhh--I didn't think you were coming!!

:j: ... I didn't... want all this to go to waste, so I called Barry! Luckily, he was free.

Maybe she doesn't see it as weird. Maybe she doesn't know how this looks.

Oh, or maybe she does, since she made this face when she saw Patrick was there:

Vanessa leaves the room to go heat up some leftovers (what a wonderful wife/girlfriend!), thus leaving Patrick and Blue alone in the room.

Where Blue makes

i am not kidding

this loving face

LOOK AT IT!!!

Patrick makes this one. As noted, I'm really, reaaaally siding with Patrick at this point.

Blue then proceeds to taunt Patrick for being unemployed despite the fact that Blue is also unemployed and in fact it is a defining trait of his character. He makes fun of Patrick's resume, despite the fact that at least Patrick is sending out resumes instead of comfortably acting like a freeloading shitbird. The lack of sympathy, grace, or even decency on Blue's part is shocking, but reminiscent of the opening when he didn't give a flying gently caress about one of his friends loving dying. Blue is the most disgusting protagonist I've ever seen, and I MOTHERFUCKING WATCHED SHARK TALE.

Blue is also sitting in Patrick's normal spot, because of course he is, this motherfucking bee. Vanessa then calls out from the other room that she let Blue borrow Patrick's razor (meaning Patrick is sufficiently moved-in that his grooming supplies are there). By the way, Patrick and Vanessa's relationship has never been made completely clear. I don't think Vanessa has a ring, but considering the quality of this movie's graphics, that means absolutely nothing. Character design is poo poo, animation is poo poo, it's shits all the way down.

Anyway, Patrick is hurt.

Note roses.

Patrick then bumps his head on the table and is visibly injured. Poor Patrick :(.

Blue then says he needs to "empty his stinger", which I assume we're supposed to think means urinating, but also sounds like jacking off. At least I think so. Also, these bee stingers still point backwards, so you need to imagine Blue peeing out of his rear end. You're welcome!

Patrick then decides to do what any of us would have done a long time ago: kill Blue.

He follows Blue into the bathroom and tries to smash him with a rolled-up magazine, and when that doesn't work, with a lighter+hairspray combo.

He manages to toss Blue into the toilet, where he and this entire film belong.

He flushes.

Unfortunately, like the bad ideas that led to the conception and loving christ implementation of this film, Blue escapes. But surfing, in a toilet, on a nail file. gently caress everything.

Vanessa comes in and accuses Patrick immediately, even though she has no idea what just happened.

quote:

:j: We need to talk! He's just a little bee! And he happens to be the nicest bee I've met in a long time!
:gonk: Long time? What are you talking about?! Are there other bugs in your life?
:j: No, but there are other things bugging me in life. And you're one of them!
:gonk: Fine! Talking bees, no yogurt night... My nerves are fried from riding on this emotional roller coaster!
:j: Goodbye, Ken!

Patrick Warburton, let me reiterate, is the only good thing in this entire film (aside from the lawyer's car design) and even he can't make me laugh because the movie treats him so horribly. But at least now he's free of Vanessa, who may be one of the worst female protagonists in the history of film, in part because of things that come later. Stay tuned!

Pick fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2013

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fantastic thread. I'd never seen the movie, and now I don't need to!

Pick posted:

Oh, or maybe she does, since she made this face when she saw Patrick was there:

Is she crosseyed the entire movie or is that just coincidence?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Carthag posted:

Fantastic thread. I'd never seen the movie, and now I don't need to!

Is she crosseyed the entire movie or is that just coincidence?

I am not joking when I say the eyes track really poorly the entire film, and I've taken care to try to show screencaps where they're not hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just noticed she was wearing yellow and black during the trial, because bees.

• Locked thread