Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Thanks for this, Pick.

I saw Shark Tale in theaters and actually mildly enjoyed it, so I hope you do that movie, too :allears:

Bee Movie has made me realize that Shark Tale isn't nearly as incompetent as I had originally thought. Like, don't get me wrong, it's loving awful, but it's you can watch it without feeling genuine concern for children who were exposed to it.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I saw this movie in the theater after we discovered that there was a misprint in the day's newspaper, and the Darjeeling Limited would not be screening that evening. At the time we figured that the best option would be to not waste the gas and see Bee Movie instead. Thinking back, that story is about the only thing I remember from it. Also, you're in for a hailstorm of stupid ideas if you decide to stick around for the ending. You haven't seen any scientific inaccuracies yet.

The movie was indeed extremely clever in making the ending of the film so loving bad even compared to the rest of the movie that you forgot how loving atrocious everything that came before it was. It's an interesting, and surely unintentional, work of genius. This movie experiences Brothers Grimm levels of tanking near the end, and yet it started out even worse than Brothers Grimm holy christ on a cracker.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Shark Tale is just sort of silly and mediocre, Bee Movie is the kind of film that's so bad it actively confuses kids by challenging their notions of "fun".

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 22, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Shark Tale is just kind of silly and mediocre, Bee Movie is the kind of film that's so bad it actively confuses kids by challenging their notions of "fun".

Additionally, there are things about Shark Tale that I liked. Even things about the characterization. I may also have laughed at some point, though I don't remember offhand.

I have literally not laughed a single time during Bee Movie and the only things I can think to praise are the hive color palette, the lawyer's car, and the wood grain texture on the handle of the smoker.

*Oh, and Warburton and Goodman's best damned effort in the face of adversity.

Really though, I see it as evidence for my belief that even a passable animated film should be seen as a bit of a triumph. This is proof of what happens when people who know nothing about animated films decide "Oh hey, I can totally do that!" and go mucking around and truly make a film so bad that it might finally upstage my previous most-hated film, I am Sam, which remember was Tropic Thunder's evidence for why you never go full retard.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 22, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Are you Lemon Fields? I assume you are because Lemon Fields only has Bee Movie clips on their youtube account.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsa4fAmWLDjH8oJ6b64HmBw?feature=watch

Just thought you might want to know the Ray Liotta clip was taken down.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't want to turn this into a bashing Dreamworks thing, because I like several of their stuff, especially recently. I love the Kung Fu Panda movies. But man watching those clips... Is there a reason Dreamworks is just so bad at human characters with the exception of like, Madagascar 3?

I mean really look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVAsfCbTFMc

Look how bad the humans, especially the one on the stand, looks and moves. It's so stiff and it looks so... amature? The designs are so uninteresting. This is a problem in most dreamworks films. Boring/uninteresting human character designs with really stiff movements.

I mean it's not like they aren't capable of doing better. This looks fantastic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tmutwniSxQ

I don't get it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 22, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be fair, there's 5 years in between the two movies (2007 vs 2012)

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pick posted:

That is unfairly disparaging to the artists who work on these films, especially contemporary Dreamworks films which--for whatever faults they may or may not suffer in terms of writing--are all artistic masterworks, like the aforementioned Rise of the Guardians and, I expect, the upcoming Croods. One of the reasons I was hesitant to do a Bee Movie review is I expected the usual Dreamworks bandwagoning, but the truth is there are a lot of people working there who are doing an excellent job and clearly pouring their hearts into it.

Nico Marlet, for example, worked on Bee Movie. I find his designs, especially those for the Kung Fu Panda franchise, but also How to Train Your Dragon, far more appealing than anything in Pixar's roster.

Yeah, my post was way too harsh, and I should have given it more thought. It's not the artists' fault, and I didn't mean to imply that. I love Nico Marlet, I loved everything about "Kung Fu Panda 2", and even though I didn't particularly like "Guardians", some of the character designs blew my mind (holy poo poo the Tooth Fairies! :swoon: Yo, guy directing "Jurassic Park 4", you were just saying something funny about not being able to make feathers look awesome in CGI...) If you look back at the "Tradigital" Dreamworks films, the level of craft in the art is incredible. "Spirit" is especially gorgeous (as long as the sound is off).

I think it's more likely a case of lots of executive interference "get this thing done so we can make more money" vs. the higher-ups just trusting the artists and letting them do their thing.

I'm going to go trade in my Animation Fan card for falling into the Disney/Pixar v Dreamworks trap without even realizing it. :smith: Hell, lest we forget, Disney was blowing it hard up until very recently. I mentioned "Dinosaur" right? And yet in that same year we got "Fantasia 2000". "Dinosaur" was basically executive meddled to death ("I know you guys wanted to make the most accurate dinosaur movie possible to date but we're afraid we'll lose the audience if the dinosaurs don't talk. Or if they have feathers and beaks. Or if there aren't any primates for the primates in the audience to relate to. And can you have a Carnotaurus in it, except gigantic and menacing, so we can tie this thing into the dinosaur ride in Disney World? No, the other dinosaur ride. K, thnx, bye!" [You don't know how much I wish I was kidding.]). "Fantasia 2K", meanwhile, is the end result of years of Roy Disney putting his foot down and asking the studio to just let the Renaissance-Era animators do whatever they wanted, and the sheer joy is palpable.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I'd consigned myself to never seeing the Ray Liotta clip when I found version that someone had taped off of their TV with the Italian audiotrack. Now I don't want to see the English because it could never live up.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Pick posted:

Blue, who is, let me make this 100% clear, obviously interested in having sex with Vanessa. BEE SEX WITH A HUMAN VAGINA. RIGHT IN THERE.

You mean like this? :nws::nms:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Pick posted:

Really though, I see it as evidence for my belief that even a passable animated film should be seen as a bit of a triumph. This is proof of what happens when people who know nothing about animated films decide "Oh hey, I can totally do that!" and go mucking around and truly make a film so bad that it might finally upstage my previous most-hated film, I am Sam, which remember was Tropic Thunder's evidence for why you never go full retard.
Have you posted your thoughts on I Am Sam somewhere? I hate that movie on a visceral, gut level, mostly because of how intensely uncomfortable it made me feel and how exploitative it seemed, and I'd love to read a more erudite analysis of it.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
My goodness... I assumed this movie was nothing more than bland, unmemorable kid's schlock. This glorious thread has taught me how very wrong I was. :allears: You should do more of these. I'd like to see your thoughts on Antz, I remember that as being pretty bad.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
To clarify, this movie has nothing to do with B-movies in terms of being a spoof/parody/pastiche/homage, right? The title is just a completely irrelevant pun?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Are we going to get to the Godawful ending of this movie, or did the movie get too bad to continue? :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I have seen such horrors on these internets but somehow that is the funniest and most want-to-gouge-my-eyes-out in recent memory. That person needs to bee locked up.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

precision posted:

I have seen such horrors on these internets but somehow that is the funniest and most want-to-gouge-my-eyes-out in recent memory. That person needs to bee locked up.

Go to hell.

PicklesMcGillicuddy
May 28, 2010

I DO NOT EAT HUMAN FOOD; I ONLY EAT
PINE CONES

Mechafunkzilla posted:

To clarify, this movie has nothing to do with B-movies in terms of being a spoof/parody/pastiche/homage, right? The title is just a completely irrelevant pun?

I think the original premise was shown in the teaser trailers, that it was a movie about the filming of a B movie with Jerry dressed as a bee.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

I think the original premise was shown in the teaser trailers, that it was a movie about the filming of a B movie with Jerry dressed as a bee.

You just reminded me to look it up...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_HDzf-17Y

I'd watch that movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Are we going to get to the Godawful ending of this movie, or did the movie get too bad to continue? :(

We are, and it's happening, I just needed a break because this movie literally harms me, it harms my own body.

---

Chapter 13: the devil lives inside each of us. he makes himself known to us. he breathes through our nostrils and seals our air inside

okay so when we left this smoldering pile of poo poo, the bees won (??) everything (??), whatever that was, apparently the honey made by their enslaved brethren

Oh, and also the bees get freed. For some reason all these shots of the bee "work camps" (they use this phrase again) look like Arlington National Cemetery. If this was intentional, I hope somebody dies.

You will of course recognize this bee liberator for his Aqua Teen Funger Horse hat.

To keep things current, we compare bears to Saddam Hussein

Because all animals are apparently sentient in these movies, demonizing bears--screeeeew it I have dumber fish to fry

They then

wait for it

wait for it

shoot

WAIT FOR IT

Yeah, so that's a thing that happens. There's a very rushed line about it being a tranquilizer dart.

I think Pooh's tongue kind of looks like a priapulid worm emerging from a dark undersea hole. Anyway.

Sting is then levitating (!) and is arrested (!!) for having a bee-related name. Why did he sign off on this?

Also they beat the poo poo out of this lady:

Too bad I don't know how to keep sound effects in .gifs because it's a hell of a whomp. "Can't... breatheee!" she actually wheezes. Wow, great job Blue, you are a super great awesome protagonist.

So they collect allll the honey--in the motherfucking WERLD!!!--into a big container or some dumb poo poo, ugh, I could do a back-of-the-envelope calculation but I don't give a poo poo. Even if we assumed this was only the honey from the USA (the world's 4th top producer), I'm pretty sure 150 million pounds is more than a bigass water-cooler worth, but gently caress you and gently caress everybody. gently caress you. gently caress you thomas. yeah gently caress you in the face you dumbshit

Anyway, since there's so much surplus honey now, they shut down all honey production. No one is working at all. (Despite the fact that you'd think they'd still have jobs like hive-building or mite-wrangling or any of the other jobs listed earlier that don't feed directly into honey-making.) Nah but gently caress it. Also we've never seen the queen through all this. Apparently she makes no decisions. Women generally aren't important in this world except to steal. yeah ok

Blue realizes this when he goes to talk to Adam. Adam defends the prior honey-making paradigm, since humans loved it so much and it was so great. So is he defending concentration camps because they make the world's best soap? I don't loving know.

Adam wanted to do his job really well... for Nazis. Or maybe not for Nazis. His hive wasn't giving it up, far as this movie suggests. Hey, why is Blue's hive the one getting all this recovered honey? As noted, his hive wasn't giving honey to humans; it was the enslaved hives who were doing that. Aw man, this just gets more and more blind and reprehensible.

Then Blue goes to talk to Vanessa, who is mad at him. UGH, WOMEN, AM I RITE GUYS?

But why's she so mad? Oh, because almost every plant in the world is dead now.

This is so insanely batshit that it's hard to know where to start. I guess it requires me to talk a bit about plants, even though I don't know very much about plants compared to bees. But I know enough to know some reasons why this is crapped up in the brains, so I guess some basic facts make this absolutely bizarre:

1. Plants are historically split into four (possibly polyphyletic) divisions: algaes, bryophytes, pteridophytes, and seeded plants (gymnosperms + angiosperms). Bryophytes are poo poo like hornworts and mosses. They don't flower and aren't pollinated by insects; they have spores. Pteridophytes are vascular plants (unlike algae and bryophytes), but they still have spores and no flowers. This group encompasses ferns and horsetails. That last group, seeded plants, contains ginkos, cycads, conifers, gnetophytes, and angiosperms. All but the last (angiosperms) are anemophilic, meaning that their pollen is transported by wind. Have you even kicked a pine tree and seen its yellow pollen burst out in clouds? Yeah, wind, rear end in a top hat. Really only that last group, angiosperms, have anything to do with insect pollination. So only the flowering plants should be affected by a lack of bees at all.

2. Also, not all flowering plants are pollinated by bees, FUCKTWIT. Many species of flower are pollinated by lepidoptera (moths/butterflies), flies (midges pollinate cocoa), birds, or even mammals, such as bats. You can generally tell what pollinates a flower by the color of said flower. If it's red, then it's not pollinated by bees. Only an idiot would think bees pollinate red flowers. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Okay, SOMETIMES they do, but only if it smells awesome still, and it's 99% of the time a cultivated plant that we made redder. Bees can't see red though.

3. Trees, contrary to what Bee Movie would have you believe, do not lose their leaves if they are not pollinated. They lose their leaves when the weather turns cold, a time of year known as "autumn". Also the leaves fall off the tree and do not vaporize.

4. Annual plants die in accordance with the season. Perennial plants persist for two or more years. This technically includes trees, although the terminology is rarely applied there. Shockingly, perennials such as trees do not loving up and die if bees don't pass by one time. Their continuing life is contingent on other factors, such as nutrients and energy from the sun. Similarly, if you jack off onto a picture of some fancy anime lass instead of in a real lady, you will not die, although maybe you should. Where your sperm goes once it leaves your body is kind of its own thing. Similarly, plants lack a "wandering uterus" or whatever loving else god drat

5. Basically this is super dumb

Yeah so anyway, in a world without bees, literally every plant will die. Since all human agriculture at some level depends on plants (except maybe, you could argue, mushroom cultivation except gently caress you because the detritus has to come from SOMEWHERE) Vanessa is miffed because all of humanity is going to die or something or maybe she's just peeved about her flowers this movie doesn't care, everyone in it is so selfish that it's really all the same, minor inconveniences and genocide.

also how the gently caress did blue fly to vanessa's house and not notice this Happening poo poo

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 23, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The title, like everything else, is completely divorced from a sense of context.

---

Chapter 14: I have told you all I know. If you have any mercy within you, please, let me die.

Dave Barry once described the song Seasons in the Sun as being about "a person who is dying, but not fast enough."

That is also a perfect description of, at this point, the world of Bee Movie.

Vanessa blames Blue for everything, even though she was doing most of the work.

quote:

:butt:They're all wilting.

:j: Doesn't look very good, does it?

:butt: No.

:j: And whose fault do you think that is?

:butt: You know, I'm gonna guess bees.

:j: Bees?

:butt: Specifically, me.

yeah idiot i'm not blaming all jewsbees just ONE jewbee

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG DIFFERENCE

Blue assumes he's doomed humanity, which suddenly he cares about or something. He suggests a suicide pact. No, I don't mean, like, figuratively or something.

quote:

:butt: How about a suicide pact?

Vanessa then tells him that she's going to the last Tournament of Roses--her dream from the beginning of the film. She packs off in her taxi and goes. But suddenly Blue has an idea! He races after her!

It's part idea, and part lame apology. But hey, even a good apology wouldn't have passed muster with Vanessa.

quote:

:butt: This is a total disaster, all my fault. I've ruined the planet. I wanted to help you with the flower shop. I've made it worse.

:mad: Actually, it's completely closed down.

:butt: But I have another idea, and it's greater than my previous ideas combined.

:mad:I don't want to hear it!

Yes, she's angrier about her shop than the fate of humanity. Patrick you dodged one heeeeell of a bullet, buddy.

Anyway, Blue has an idea, and it's so stupid that it makes me angry even in the midst of Pick's Angry Thread (Bee Movie, the Pick Angry Thread).

His idea is tooooo... steal the roses and then use the roses from the parade and then re-pollinate the entire, uh, park/world/nation with it? By the way, I'm not sure if you KNEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW THIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, but you can't just pollinate any loving plant with any loving pollen, kind of like you can't jerk off into a dog and have a baby fall out!

It's REPRODUCTIVE TISSUE you loving DORKS

Who wrote this loving MOVIE and the answer is loving JERRY SEINFELD and loving gently caress YOU JERRY SEINFELD

they steal the "princess and the pea" float, with Blue dressed as the pea because fine

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 23, 2013

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I forgot about that little detail. What the poo poo? SHE helped him win the lawsuit that caused the end of the world!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I forgot about that little detail. What the poo poo? SHE helped him win the lawsuit that caused the end of the world!

Don't you know anything? Women are quick to pass blame onto someone else.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
For some reason, out of all the stupid, improbable, poorly-thought-out crap you've presented us with so far, the red flag my weird-rear end brain thought to pick out was "There is no way they'd be able to enforce that ruling outside of the US. France ain't gonna extradite that honey. That jurisdiction is all kinds of hosed."

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I don't see what you're all shocked about, of course the Bee run media is going to distort things in favor of the Bees.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

For some reason, out of all the stupid, improbable, poorly-thought-out crap you've presented us with so far, the red flag my weird-rear end brain thought to pick out was "There is no way they'd be able to enforce that ruling outside of the US. France ain't gonna extradite that honey. That jurisdiction is all kinds of hosed."

This vaguely reminds me of all the uninformed, blabbering morons who accuse Rachel Carson of killing millions of Africans. By getting DDT banned in the US.

Setting aside that it increases human infant mortality and is a carcinogen, the reason that--all issues of the environment aside--it fell out of use in the developing world is that it stopped working. hur durrr insect resistance what is that durrrr im pretty sure we can spray insects forever with anything heeeurrr dduuurrrrrrrrrr

And it's never been banned as disease vector control, just for agriculture, where its agricultural use was shown to increase malaria rates. Plus now we have better pest control options anyway. The guy who wrote her "takedown" and who keeps getting quoted isn't even a goddamn scientist. God, I can't even talk about it, it makes me so angry.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

You would absolutely not think this based on her behavior. It's pretty mind-boggling.

---

Chapter 15: dumb dumb dumb dumb.... duuuumb!

The model textures at times seem to have been made by literal children. Bear in mind this was at one time the size of a film screen.

They steal the float to go on another unnecessary chase, like the other unnecessary chases in the film. It goes the way chases go. There's nothing novel about it at all. It makes those really canned NASCAR sounds. I don't think they recorded any new audio for this. In fact, I think the same screech sounds more than once.

They take it to the... airport?! What... what is happening???

The float is rolled up???? It's a car??????

No, it'll work because it's science now.

However, they run into bad weather, so... the flowers will die before they make it! Which doesn't matter, because pollen viability is independent of the condition of the blossom. But yeah, pollen does have a window, so let's go--

Oh.

Oh they decide to break into the cockpit.

(This is after 9/11, remember. Hijacking a plane on its way into NYC is still cool though.)

Okay, full disclosure, maybe he didn't mean the hijack it, hijack-it, but the result is the same following a dustbuster fight which leaves both the pilot and co-pilot unconscious, possibly severely injured. This is a big problem because this world never invented autopilot, so the controls are going side to side even though the plane is flying steadily (as you can tell through the windows and because everyone in the fuselage is not even noticing anything's awry).

Don't worry, though! As Blue says, it's nothing more than... a big metal bee!

noooooo

On the ground, the story has reached the media. Basically instantly. The traffic controllers are extremely unhappy, maybe because they're being interviewed instead of controlling traffic.

The human models have reached Morrowind quality.

Then this incredibly offensive exchange happens:

quote:

:mad: Traffic controller: We have a storm in the area and two individuals at the controls with absolutely no flight experience!

:smug: Bee reporter: Just a minute. There's a bee on that plane.

Remember when the Soviets tossed out experienced professors in the 1940s-1950s to make way for "common men" with big ideas? Remember how that all went to poo poo? Learn from the CCCP, someone, anyone! Oh god this is really taking a toll on me. There's like ten minutes left and I'm trying to make it but it's hard. One of the reasons it's difficult is the film is now trying to throw themes and morals at us but none of them make sense or have anything to do with the rest of the movie. Listen to Blue's speech here:

to be read like an rear end in a top hat posted:

The way we work may be a mystery to you. Making honey takes a lot of bees doing a lot of small jobs. But let me tell you about a small job. If you do it well, it makes a big difference. More than we realized. To us, to everyone. That's why I want to get bees back to working together. That's the bee way! We're not made of Jell-O.
This may--may--have been relevant to something at the beginning of the film. I've tried to forget. It doesn't really feel like it was--I seem to recall the conflict then was about having to do one job your entire life, not that the job was "small". But anyway, it definitely has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the plane going down and Blue being unable to fly it. (!)

The plane is hit by what we have to assume is lightning.

By the way, did you know that the fuselage of a plane acts as a Farraday cage, pro--no, no! No, Pick! The movie is almost over! You just have to do this now!!!

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 23, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've never seen a cartoon movie about Bee's anger somebody so much.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Dave Barry once described the song Seasons in the Sun as being about "a person who is dying, but not fast enough."

That is also a perfect description of, at this point, the world of Bee Movie.

I'm going to cherish this like my first stuffed toy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

But the way bees work isn't a mystery to people, isn't that what the whole thing with the beekeepers was about?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But the way bees work isn't a mystery to people, isn't that what the whole thing with the beekeepers was about?

Actually, no, it has to do with a quote I forgot to get angry about earlier, which was the whole "how can a bumblebee fly?" thing. It's stupid and it's been refuted since forever, or at least ever since bees did fly, hence proving that they can. It's outlined here better than I could summarize it (article from Physics World 1993).

We know how insects fly, down to flies and vortex shedding. (It's another member of my family I'd ask about that sort of thing though.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Chapter 16: The one who testifies to these things says, “Surely I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all the saints. Amen.

The bees have been watching this on bee news, which is where they had to get their information, because for some reason Blue's ability to communicate with other bees through his antennae was forgotten like 7 minutes into the film.

The pollen jocks... uh, fly out of the... guys, what... what is going to happen here? Guys?? ... Guys? :ohdear:

There's this one bee in the corner with the dumbest loving look on his face, maybe I'll go back and grab a screenshot for you if I can. It's hard through because for totally legal reasons for some reason the video quality isn't that good on this legal thing I possess with legality.

Bee tells Vanessa to "copy what he's doing" as he flies in front of her face. This makes no sense because bees are not fixed-wing aircraft, and they are not controlled with a joystick. She knows what she wants the plane to be doing (go forward smoothly in the correct direction). Watching Blue mime that contributes zilch to the scenario.

Then Blue slaps her. But then she slaps him back and they start slapping each other and the plane starts falling down, as they do.

Meanwhile, the pollen jocks are flying in ghost Doritos.

Oh no

they are

this is happening

Yep, they're being held up by the pollen jocks. See, I think they'd be on the top, holding it up, since their wings are on the tops of their bodies, but you know what? This wouldn't work in any physically realized universe so I'm just not going to worry about it. Let it be. There's worse happening at this very moment!

Adam's on the ground. But why? And how come all the bees can talk to humans now (BEE LAW) and leave the hive (BEE LAW) and gently caress they're all socialist freeloaders now, where's the republican president!?!?! huguruhghj

Oh, Blue can't see the ground because it's cloudy, so he can't direct the pollen jocks (who NOW can talk to him via antennae. Maybe there's a range limitationdfosdjf I'm not making excuses for you, movie!)

But he's drawn to the ground....? By... an instinct? A 27-million-year-old instinct, he says? But how?

... Yep, Adam and his friends are doing synchronized aerobics to create a flower shape on the tarmac. How did Blue sense this if he couldn't see it, smell it, or otherwise perceive it? god jesus dorito.

"Cut the engines!" (Like that is a thing she'd know how to do). "We're going in on bee power!" ... but she's still steering. He still has her steering. How do the bees know which way she's turning? Why not just have her tell them if they have to figure it out from the ailerons?

Also, this is a great angle of descent:

The plane lands safely (sigh) and the flowers fall out of the cargo hold. Blue then lies a bunch.

quote:

This runway is covered with the last pollen from the last flowers available anywhere on Earth.
Lies. Pollen is kept in storage in a number of botanical facilities and would not have been lost under these circumstances.

quote:

That means this is our last chance.
Lies. Plants could regrow from ungerminated angiosperm seeds, of which there is an enormous backlog both in human hands and in naturally-occurring stocks. Plants have been germinated from seeds over one thousand years old, and plant tissue over thirty thousand years old.

quote:

We're the only ones who make honey, pollinate flowers and dress like this.
Lies. Many other insects, such as lepidopterans, dipterans, coleopterans, and thysanopterans also pollinate you huge-

Also, some diptera, like the hoverfly, are bee mimics. So they do "dress like [that]". Insects are also not the only pollinators.

quote:

If we're gonna survive as a species, this is our moment! What do you say?

let it all burn

Speaking of, this movie has a TERRIBLE sense of scale. They have no idea if or when they're referring to Central Park, the USA, or the entire planet. It's unnerving and baffling and confusing as hell.

Oh well anyway, the bees love this idea, so Blue gets his own pollen jock jacket they apparently had time to make for him (or maybe another small one just died somewhere).

Then music starts, because it's far, far easier to "resolve" something like this to music than to justify it in any real way. This is why many movies end in dance parties. What song would they use, though? It's "Here Comes the Sun" of course, which is a huge improvement over "Sugar, Sugar", but so is sitting in on an infant necropsy.

Pollen (particularly the pollen of the one flower they copy+pasted for the float) brings plants back to life. Instantly. They just fly through dead trees and suddenly they're in bloom. You couldn't have expected something less stupid. It had to be this stupid. So I'm not that angry. I was steeled.

Anyway, all these bees are from his hive. What are the rest of the world's bees doing? What about the bees freed from labor camps? What are they doing? Where did they go? Are we assuming bees from New York can fly to Gabon or wherever else everything is dying? Maybe they're all dead. Because they have no honey to eat since it all went to Blue's hive. All of it in the world.

So then we cut to Blue again. He's operating as an attorney... out of the back of Vanessa's florist's shop. Like all the best lawyers. Crack, the mosquito, is also helping out because it'd been a while since we had an influx of racism.

And he's taking another case for animals who feel their work is stolen, because last time that went AWESOME.

But he gets interrupted because Vanessa needs to call in a favor to get more flowers. So it's okay if bees do slave labor if it's for her.

At last we see Patrick again, as he's been missing for a while. He walks by the florist's shop with a friend and sees the sign: VANESSA & BARRY.

quote:

When will this nightmare end?!

It ends now, Patrick.

It ends... now :unsmith:.

THE END

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 23, 2013

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
This thread has been the best. :unsmith: I know that your expertise is in bees, but I really hope you find some other similarly crappy movie and do something similar with it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
... Okay, that was probably the greatest film synopsis of an animated movie I have ever read. Well done, madam.

This... thing was playing on the bus from the Boston airporet to Maine, and although I caught fragments here and there, I elected to sleep through, although I normally am game for it. I see now that this was the correct decision.

I hope you can do this with another movie sometime, but for now, you should take a break with a good movie or two.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How loving long was that movie? It feels like it had about eight plots that all went nowhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Like many of you, I saw this film and yet somehow forgot everything in it.

Usually when I see forgotten information, I can slap my forehead and go "oh yeah, I remember now!"

I still can not recall any of these things, even after Pick's review. When he was done with chapter 12 I thought that was the end of the film.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ATFH - Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Honey. The bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Honey. Because gently caress you, why not!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't understand why, if all the flowers in the world are dead, humanity would waste the few remaining ones on a parade float.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Wendell posted:

I don't understand why, if all the flowers in the world are dead, humanity would waste the few remaining ones on a parade float.

Humanity made Bee Movie, humanity cannot be understood.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

So, are bee forced labour camps good or bad?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

How loving long was that movie? It feels like it had about eight plots that all went nowhere.

The longest 80 minutes of my life.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This thread has been the best. :unsmith: I know that your expertise is in bees, but I really hope you find some other similarly crappy movie and do something similar with it.

Thanks, but I don't really consider myself a bee expert. :shobon:

Also, I do not think I have ever seen a film similarly bad :psyduck:.

I'd love to take a look at the artbook and see what it has to say about this production, whether it hints at artist animosity or anything similar, or just to see the groundwork of the film from an artistic standpoint. I wonder if it was ever going to be a very different film? You'd almost have to think so. As noted, this one doesn't really have a coherent plot, but there must have been a one-sentence summary that would have done a good job capturing its gist at one time. It had to have been pitched to someone. Perhaps the artbook is more for that film than for this one?

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaitou
Mar 14, 2013
You know, somewhere, someplace, this is someone's absolute favorite movie. That got me thinking, what did critics think of it?

It has a 51% on Rotten Tomatoes, with some of the most recent positive reviews saying things like, "This is a beautifully animated, cleverly executed, warm and funny adventure," and "A kids movie with a moral, that's rare!…" (Huh, I thought almost all kid's movies had morals?) It has a 54 on MetaCritic with positive reviews saying it is "slyly comic" and "Dazzling fun. Jerry is master of a new domain." I can't admit I've actually seen the movie, but after reading this thread and watching some of the provided videos… I'm going to say I'm going to disagree with those reviews.

Thanks for this thread, Pick, I really enjoyed reading it. I had been thinking of checking out this movie for a while and was sort of hoping it would be one of those "so bad it's funny" sorts of things. I guess it goes full speed past that and to the "kill it with fire" territory?

• Locked thread