Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm just reminded, but was Osmosis Jones a good film?

Nope, but Thrax is pretty cool.

The live-action sections are completely unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yes... ish??

The live action bits are whatever but the animated bits are fine and the animation is awesome I think. Also Thrax is just a cool villain

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Macaluso posted:

Yes... ish??

The live action bits are whatever but the animated bits are fine and the animation is awesome I think. Also Thrax is just a cool villain

Wish they'd kept some of the stuff they cut, though. Like the whole idea where the lead lost his parents in an "alien abduction" (a blood donation) and is reunited with them at the end as part of the effort to save the guy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! went with a stop-motion-CGI hybrid approach that worked well.

Was that a good film? I meant to watch that in a theater but then I forgot.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

On a similar note, was Titan A.E.? I remember liking it as a kid

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hated Osmosis Jones, but admit Thrax was a good villain and the animation was pretty nice.
Chalk Titan A.E up for another one I saw and don't remember. It seems like it was one of those movies where everything's so dark and dirty, it might as well take place in a cave. Which can work well in other mediums, but I feel like it gets downright oppressive and draining in animation. I'm probably equating it to games where if I'm in a dungeon too long, I wanna claw the walls open and see some of that sweet sky render.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I remember thinking that all the aliens in TItan AE were weird and offputting, besides the energy aliens that blow up everything in the first 10 minutes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

On a similar note, was Titan A.E.? I remember liking it as a kid

Titan AE sucks

edit: Watch Treasure Planet instead

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Was that a good film? I meant to watch that in a theater but then I forgot.

I wouldn't call it Aardman's best work but it was certainly a lot of fun, with gags aplenty and a good cast. You can tell that a lot of love went into it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, not to get too anti-chat, but there are simply poor or unremarkable films and then a truly spectacular tier of nearly unwatchable abortions of the medium.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yeah, I don't want to see this thread die, it's one of my favorites, but if someone doesn't pick something to break down next soon, I'm just going to close the thread temporarily and re-open it when someone has an idea. The rest of this chat can go in the animation thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Whatever happened to Delgo?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well since this is now the "Animation Quality Dead Zone" thread, maybe this thread could also have traditional animation in it. Some of the posters in the Animation thread are talking about the bad biblical adaptations that might fit in this topic.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
How about the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie? Not that stop motion one, the 2D one. I think Eric Idle's in it.

edit: here we go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer:_The_Movie

I remember being eight and thinking this was the most awesome movie ever.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

You know what I just remembered existed? The Dragonlance movie. Someone should cover that, it was pretty bad.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Have we done an in-depth about Cool World, yet? It's only partially animated, though.

It's a movie I've only seen parts of over the years, I remember it getting a huge marketing push and a lot of controversy, but it flopped really hard from what I recall. I also seem to remember something about a lot of rewrites and changes from the original concept, as Wiki states:

"The film was originally pitched as an animated horror film about an underground cartoonist who fathers an illegitimate half-human/half-cartoon daughter, who hates herself for what she is and tries to kill him."

During production, Bakshi's original screenplay was scrapped by producer Frank Mancuso, Jr. and heavily rewritten by Michael Grais, Mark Victor and Larry Gross

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Nut Job is on Netflix. While it's not exceptionally terrible enough to deserve Quality Deadzone treatment, it is a perfect illustration of the importance of writing and directing in animation; The Nut Job and The Lego Move came out at the same time and both feature Will Arnett and Liam Neeson, yet while they both stole the show as Batman and Bad Cop in The Lego Movie they're completely forgettable in The Nut Job despite playing larger roles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Piss Kingpin posted:

I haven't seen "8 Crazy Nights," since 2002 when I worked at a movie theater. I'm kinda tempted to revisit it for this thread, because I remember it being incredibly G-d awful

It has one of the more memorable lines from a movie, at least for me.

"Jokes on you, I can't read!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The animation in 8 Crazy Night is pretty nice

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Das Boo posted:

I hated Osmosis Jones, but admit Thrax was a good villain and the animation was pretty nice.
Chalk Titan A.E up for another one I saw and don't remember. It seems like it was one of those movies where everything's so dark and dirty, it might as well take place in a cave. Which can work well in other mediums, but I feel like it gets downright oppressive and draining in animation. I'm probably equating it to games where if I'm in a dungeon too long, I wanna claw the walls open and see some of that sweet sky render.

Titan AE is pretty poor. It went through a sudden change from all 2D to having some CG stuff while in production as well as some conflicting story stuff while they were making it. Sort of the opposite of Cool World, it began a bit more lighthearted but then it was made to be XXXTREME in the dumbest ways possible.

Also after not seeing it in forever, man, Heavy Metal totally owns. I mean it's just goofy as hell and fun and looks amazing, I was shocked because I somehow thought I didn't like it. It might have the raddest opening credits/scene of any movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 22, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Titan AE is pretty poor. It went through a sudden change from all 2D to having some CG stuff while in production as well as some conflicting story stuff while they were making it. Sort of the opposite of Cool World, it began a bit more lighthearted but then it was made to be XXXTREME in the dumbest ways possible.

From what I remember of Titan AE, it seems like the XXXtreme stuff must have gotten scale backed later. I mean, a guy bridges a broken electrical circuit with his corpse and this is totally glossed over afterwards.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
There was this movie I watched last week when my back was killing me from work and the pain was enough to keep me from sleeping. I was browsing IMDb and I started to find all these knock-off Titanic movies that were made within a couple years of the Titanic movie. I ran into this movie, read the synopsis, and I knew I had to watch it. The synopsis is as follows:

quote:

A grandfather mouse tells his grandchildren the "real" story of the Titanic disaster, including himself, evil sharks, a giant octopus, and an evil whaling scheme.

The Legend of the Titanic (or as I refered to it as, Fieval Goes Out To Sea) is originally Italian and was later dubbed over to English. It has everything you want in a Titanic story; starcrossed lovers separated by class and social expectation, a suitor with plans of his own, stowaway mice that can talk, dolphins that cast magic on moonbeam-soaked tears, it even has its own gangster sharks. The octopus is an amazing character as well for its own reasons. It's one of those things you have to see. There's also, of course, Not-Celine-Dion music.

You can watch the whole English dub of it on Youtube. Just thought it'd be a nice addition to the thread, if anyone wants to go in-depth with it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRe-zSbEUY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I get the feeling that the directors didn't realize or care that the Titanic was an actual boat that actually sank.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

If I could make a suggestion, there is no cartoon movie that I hate more than Quest For Camelot. Even more than Foodfight. Foodfight makes me feel sad and gross, Quest makes me feel angry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV5kS_B6Zws

Or One Stormy Night (Japanese: Arashi no Yoru ni). It's a Romeo & Juliet story about a male wolf and a male goat. But when you add the predator/prey element the subtext gets really uncomfortable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiXZkbhz4oY

But suggesting Japanese movies is cheating, right?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think I have another possible suggestion, for something I only ever saw the smallest part of: The animated version of "The King and I" from the late 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGC36_6_wwM

This was theatrically released within a year of other theatrical animated films like Iron Giant, Quest for Camelot, Prince of Egypt, Rugrats and just a few years after Anastasia.

From the trailer, alone, it doesn't look theatrical quality.

edit:
Quest for Camelot at least sort of looks grand and you could almost mistake it for some Disney-level animation in some places in that trailer, K&I trailer that has parts that look like they're from a Capt. Planet episode.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 22, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tlarn posted:

There was this movie I watched last week when my back was killing me from work and the pain was enough to keep me from sleeping. I was browsing IMDb and I started to find all these knock-off Titanic movies that were made within a couple years of the Titanic movie. I ran into this movie, read the synopsis, and I knew I had to watch it. The synopsis is as follows:

The Legend of the Titanic (or as I refered to it as, Fieval Goes Out To Sea) is originally Italian and was later dubbed over to English. It has everything you want in a Titanic story; starcrossed lovers separated by class and social expectation, a suitor with plans of his own, stowaway mice that can talk, dolphins that cast magic on moonbeam-soaked tears, it even has its own gangster sharks. The octopus is an amazing character as well for its own reasons. It's one of those things you have to see. There's also, of course, Not-Celine-Dion music.

You can watch the whole English dub of it on Youtube. Just thought it'd be a nice addition to the thread, if anyone wants to go in-depth with it. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxHNztg0X3s

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

That's from a completely different animated Titanic movie with talking mice.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Asgerd posted:

Yep, that one is Titanic: The Legend Goes On, whereas the one previously mentioned is The Legend of the Titanic. Both are Italian-produced and were even released the same year, I think.

I've seen both, and it's tough to decide which is worse, but I'd give the edge to Legend Goes On. The character designs are even more offensive, it's even more blatant in ripping off both Disney and the Cameron film, and it does an even worse job of integrating the animal antics with the humans.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

JediTalentAgent posted:

edit:
Quest for Camelot at least sort of looks grand and you could almost mistake it for some Disney-level animation in some places in that trailer, K&I trailer that has parts that look like they're from a Capt. Planet episode.

Which makes Quest all the more deceptive. At least King is honest in its terribleness.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Asgerd posted:

What about the Dingo Pictures version of Titanic? Still more talking mice.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Kangra posted:

What about the Dingo Pictures version of Titanic? Still more talking mice.

How many of those things are there?

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

wdarkk posted:

Seriously, good lord. I'm struggling to deal with the reality that we live in a world where there's more than one of those things.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wdarkk posted:

Did you see who it was that uploaded it and who animated it

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd definitely be interested in a breakdown of Delgo because the drive behind it (make a top-class animated movie outside of the regular studio system) was a nice one but the final product was so shockingly awful.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

tlarn posted:

Oh man, it has a sequel too and it's beyond words. The protagonists from the first film go on a diving expedition to find the wreck and end up in an undersea kingdom ruled by a masked fascist king. Which is great. They foil a plot against the fascist king and decide not to tell anyone about the Titanic or the crazy country under the sea.

There's another unrelated Italian (I think) animated Titanic with talking mice. That one's even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, I'm going to close this until someone comes up with a new movie to dissect and asks me to open it again. All this other conversation can go in the regular animation thread.

• Locked thread