Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Does it have Michael Milken as a Bee!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
With all the weird Honron/ multinational servitude is natural element this movie seems like poorly made propaganda. Also telling kids thay only rear end in a top hat woman stealing bees care about.appropriation.

I want to watch it but its not on Netflix and Comcast as it as PPV (WTF)

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 21, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kaitou posted:

It has a 51% on Rotten Tomatoes, with some of the most recent positive reviews saying things like, "This is a beautifully animated, cleverly executed, warm and funny adventure," and "A kids movie with a moral, that's rare!…" (Huh, I thought almost all kid's movies had morals?) It has a 54 on MetaCritic with positive reviews saying it is "slyly comic" and "Dazzling fun. Jerry is master of a new domain." I can't admit I've actually seen the movie, but after reading this thread and watching some of the provided videos… I'm going to say I'm going to disagree with those reviews.

The movie is Corporate Brainwashing for kids (if you don't work to death for the rest of your life nature will collapse), so I'm not surprised there are plenty of bought-out positive reviews.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

No, the metaphor is very strained if you apply that to people. At best, the real metaphor is that there's a natural order to things and that humanity knows how to best control nature.

The movie is really incoherent, but 'corporations are the best' is a clear underlying theme, so you can read it alot of different ways. Bees are supposed to have a great society that is millions of years old (where everyone is unquestionably loyal to Honex and gets boundless satisfaction from their lifetime of service). Bee Jerry Seinfeld questions this from the beginning and his character's actions nearly lead to the total collapse of the ecosystem (until he sets things right, it is a contradictory endorsement of both conformity and individualism).

His friend's little speech about how he loved his job seems like something right out of the head of a zealous retail manager.

The fact that this movie came out right around the time the banks started to collapse is icing on the cake with how the movie represents everything that has gone wrong in the past couple decades (a consumer society flush with valueless currency making GBS threads out a CGI celebrity ego-trip where currency has value* and asking too many questions is the only real danger to the order of things)

*Money and Honey are often equated in the plot. And don't get me started on Patrick Warburton's background lines about global warming.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PicklesMcGillicuddy posted:

If you just ignored all the faces, it looked competent.

Did anyone count how many times we saw the same male head, sometimes with different hair colors?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Note the 'Atlas' Sculpture at the graduation. Randian Imagery :tinfoil:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
On the level of social perception management, looking at 'Seinfeld' - Jerry is ideal/peak NeoLiberal Man. He lives in Manhattan, travels in a passenger jet around the country, and consumes in a conscious, yuppie way.

So I guess after this 90's hit they thought they could transfer the magic from Nine Seasons of TV to this artless cartoon.

But some people, like George, cry at the end of movies like 'Home Alone'; someone out there was touched by the brief zeitgeist of 'Bee Movie'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe Shark Tale started as the story of not gay allegory shark coming out to his fathet, and Will Smith was added in later drafts.

• Locked thread