Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I've never watched Bee Movie because it looked like a Seinfeld vehicle and I was never fond of his humor at its best. I've seen a few stills, a few clips and have a very general idea of the story, but one thing has always baffled me about this movie:

HOW IS THIS GUY NOT VOICED BY BRUCE CAMPBELL?!

That is Bruce Campbell. If you animated Bruce Campbell, that is how he would look. A weird hang-up, but every time I see that character, it's just bam. Bruce Campbell. Then it's not. And good god, it frustrates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah, Warburton is much broader and doesn't have the Hero Chin. I stand by my illogical frustrations. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

quote:

Now Blue runs off to see Vanessa again. They are asking each other questions. She wants to enter the Tournament of Roses. Humans have TiVo, but bees have Hive-o! But it's a disease, haha! ... I am not a bee expert, so I cannot say that I am aware of all diseases of the European honeybee, but unless corrected, I am going to assert that this is not a thing. Which makes the joke... not a joke, really? It's like referential humor, but to a ... thing that doesn't exist? God, at least Shark Tale referenced, like, things that were ... things.

quote:

Humans have TiVo, but bees have Hive-o! But it's a disease, haha!

quote:

Hive-o! But it's a disease, haha!

quote:

HIVe-o!

Please let me be warped and twisted and wrong. :suicide:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Rahonavis posted:

I for one would love a whole "Pick Watches Justly Forgotten Animated Films So You Don't Have To" series. "Bee Movie" so far comes across as just as batshit insane as "Foodfight", except it supposedly had some effort put into it?

If you go through with this, please cover some of the later Don Bluth movies. For us. For the world

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
And Ray Liotta, childhood hero of the ages.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never even considered that Seinfeld might be a homophobic goon, but after reading this peek into his psyche it makes so much friggin' sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

And yet Dreamworks didn't manage to steal the show from the likewise incredible Disney-distributed Valiant!

*do not watch Valiant

You just made me realize I've seen Valiant. I wonder what else I've repressed?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Casimir Radon posted:

DJ Tanner was played by Candace Cameron, sister of Kirk Cameron. If we're playing six degrees of failed actor and all-around bad person.

But how does this tie back to Kevin Bacon?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Plus, you weren't really supposed to be rooting for Kuzco. You were supposed to be rooting for Pacha.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I couldn't help myself.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All I remember from Sinbad is that Eris was voiced by Michelle Pfeiffer and her animation was utterly amazing. And then they... did nothing with her. :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Anyone feel like braving Alpha and Omega? I remember it being called out as a furry film prior to its release, but never heard much about it thereafter. If it was such a film, however, I'd love to read a Hindenburg play-by-play on that mother.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dex Dogtective is Jewish. No, really.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Holy poo poo, there are zombie monsters in the background of that last shot.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like how much the characters spin during normal conversation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have had exactly one Maya class. I had never touched a 3D program before and this is about my skill level.
But no one paid me $65 million.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, so I found out about NURBS in my Maya class today. I'm better than Foodfight! now. :shobon:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Traxus IV posted:

Then in honor of the Quality Dead Zone that is this thread, allow me to offer this terrible joke from my coworker:

What do you call it when a Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline freaks out?

A NURBouS breakdown!

:v:

:v:
Bet you've been waitin' for years.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Shitballs Weasel makes me wonder if at some point, they considered releasing this in 3D.
Foodfight. In 3D.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Imagine what the costumes would have looked like.

Aaaaaaaaa.
AAAAAAAAAAA. :byodood:

e: YOU CAN'T GOOSESTEP IN ICESKATES.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 3, 2014

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never quite forgot Dan's dialogue in this segment because I was horrified something billed as a children's film would give such an explicit innuendo for oral.
And then you made me remember the Sex Lizard has a rape fetish. :psyduck:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Yeah, it's easy to focus on the failure of the animation because it's just so horrifically incompetent, but nothing here works at all. Even if the poopness of poo poo Weasel weren't inherently bad, it doesn't mesh with the other textures. Even if the animation were good, the character design would fail. Even if the animation and character design didn't fail, shot composition fails. Just every single loving thing. The writeup is doing a good job explaining it at all its different levels but, to use an internet cliche, "there are no words" for the actual experience. Human language cannot capture an artistic cataclysm of this magnitude.

That's the misery in all this. It's something so indescribably incompetent that you just can't properly articulate its failure to someone without showing them. And then you risk outrageously pissing them off. I have told people to watch reviews of this and recieved angry phone calls.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Palette-swapped characters taking up 3/4 of a frame in a $65 million movie.
In light of everything else, this shouldn't bother me as much as it does. But it does.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Is this some kind of weird, new rickrolling?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are a lot of abysmal CG movies I've watched that I don't remember a thing about:
Doogal
Valiant
The Tale of Desperaux
Robots
Dinosaur
Final Fantasy: TSW
Everyone's Hero
Chicken Little
Happily N'Ever After
Igor

I seem to recall the last one being shockingly ugly, but that's about it. Hell, I didn't even remember a thing about Shark Tale 'til Pick dragged me over it like a bed of coals.
And I'd love for someone to review Delgo. I was very interested in the reasons behind its box office failure, but the most I've been able to find on it is, "Eh. Pretty dull and wordy."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Red Bones posted:

I don't remember Valiant being so bad, but I'm probably wrong. I can't even remember which war it's in, but I'm leaning toward WWI because I think it had trenches and I don't remember any villainous nazi carrier pidgeons, which is something I think I'd remember. Does it have Elijah Wood in it?

I have no idea. I sat there and watched the whole thing by myself, at home, no distractions and I couldn't follow a drat thing because I just couldn't summon the energy to care. I abide by the rule that the greatest cinematic sin is to be dull and holy loving balls, that was one of the dullest things I've ever seen. Like trying to remember what you had for breakfast a month ago: Why would you commit brain power to remember something like that?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wowee! :buddy:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only British movie I was absolutely unable to understand the accent in was Tyrannosaur. I actually had to turn on subtitles.
And I was raised around Brits. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hated Osmosis Jones, but admit Thrax was a good villain and the animation was pretty nice.
Chalk Titan A.E up for another one I saw and don't remember. It seems like it was one of those movies where everything's so dark and dirty, it might as well take place in a cave. Which can work well in other mediums, but I feel like it gets downright oppressive and draining in animation. I'm probably equating it to games where if I'm in a dungeon too long, I wanna claw the walls open and see some of that sweet sky render.

• Locked thread