Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know a dr who has a Windows phone and absolutely refuses to upgrade. He loves it so much.

I used to work with the other guy who would never ever willingly give up his windows phone!

Surely that must be the last remaining pollination of them on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I would try and use mine if it still worked.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Have a friend looking to port her number out of the family plan she owns, is there still a concept of a “primary” line with AT&T and do we need to do anything to change that or will it just magically move to another line.

She is not doing a change of billing responsibility quite yet.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 1, 2021

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Normally I'd chalk something like this up to dumb luck and not mention it, but it's happened to me twice now so I'm curious if anyone else has run into it:

Yesterday I ordered a new phone as an upgrade through the AT&T website and picked it up from one of their stores (corporate-owned, I'm pretty sure). My plan was to trade in my old phone for a credit towards the monthly payment on the new one. The AT&T store doesn't ask for the old phone when I pick up the new one, which makes sense because I'll need to take both home to move everything over anyway. Later yesterday evening, I get an e-mail from AT&T saying to expect shipping materials for the trade-in to be sent to my home address in a couple weeks. Sure, sounds good.

This morning, I get an e-mail from AT&T saying they've received my trade-in, and are in the process of applying the credits to my account. Not only is the old phone still in my possession, I doubt they've even sent the shipping materials out yet.

:thunk:

This same thing happened a few years when I arranged to trade in a phone for the phone I'm trading in now, and they went ahead and applied the credit but never did send me the shipping materials or otherwise follow up on the trade-in. I'm guessing there was a brain fart somewhere in the process where the AT&T store was supposed to process my trade-in?

Anyway, I'm going to hang on to the old phone in the off chance they un-confuse themselves, but I won't hold my breath.

Paper Tiger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 19, 2021

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I noticed today that my iPhone X has been paid off so I was thinking about upgrading. I saw an offer for 700$ in credit for trading in my phone toward a 12 Max.

When I added the offer it didn't ask about the condition of the phone which made me nervous so I backed out and didn't complete the order. My phone is mostly in good condition, the sides are showing quite a bit of wear, back and front are mostly fine. I do have one scratch on the front screen though.

Is this one of those things where they'll evaluate it and I'll find out later what I'm actually getting credit-wise? If so would they be able to better give an estimate if I did this in-store?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

As long as it turns on and the screen isn't cracked, I believe they give you the full 7 hundo. I did the same for my 12 Pro ($800 though). It does take a bit to wait for them to acknowledge your trade-in though, which is the nerve-wracking "did USPS drop my poo poo and I'm only going to get $15" part.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Wife is upgrading from a Pixel 4XL to a S21Ultra today, will she need to get a new SIM card to support the 5G nonsense, or is it sufficient to just swap the sim and move on with life?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I have a dumb order of operations question that my google searches doesn't seem to cover. I want to port my current cell number to google voice and then pick a new number for a new, specific area code (my new zip is covered by multiple area codes). I understand that I need to start the transfer of my current number to google voice first, but once that goes through what's the next step? Does AT&T assign a random number to me once the transfer goes through?

I'm having issues with people answering my calls since I now live in SoCal but my area code is for Texas. Lots of things still have that number tied to it, so instead of a panic of trying to figure out where I need to change my number I can go down the list as I get calls / messages... My wife wanted a "local" area code but when I set up her line under my account they wouldn't let her have a different area code to mine.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 19, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Interested in feedback on our family plan. It's my parents, sister and me on the Mobile Share Value 30GB with Rollover Data for $151/mo. How does that sound?

My phone was bought in full and I just pay my dad $50/mo for the plan. My sister does the same since we use most of the data. I'm a 35 year old man though so I wonder if getting a plan with my wife would be better?

I also need a new phone since the camera on my 3a XL has stopped focusing. I'll probably just get a 4a 5G used on Swappa, but I was looking into good deals right now and saw this $500 S21 Ultra with a 2 year contract upgrade https://slickdeals.net/f/15052381-s21-ultra-5g-loyality-deal-att-128gb-500-2-year-contract-reqd?v=1 I also see people there saying you need special plans for 5G?

Are certain plans needed for 5G and are there any other tricky ways to get good phone deals like that?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What's the best setup for one smartphone and one dumb phone? I'm still on a now ancient plan, with my cousin and her son. I'm going to be dropping AT&T, so I'm trying to figure out what will work best for her phone situation. Is it possible to mix this at all or does it just make sense for her to get a flip phone for her son.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife has an iPhone XR and we're thinking of porting her line away from Sprint to my account now that we have a personal one. Is the best deal to BYOD and get a $200 credit if she's relatively happy with her phone, or would it be a better idea to get her a new one?

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I have a OnePlus 7t that has worked perfectly since I got it about a year ago on AT&T. As of last Tuesday, I can no longer get any data service or mms. I’ve called them 3 times at this point, everything on my device is correct regarding APN, provisioning, etc. What on earth is going on? It’s a 4g device, has native VoLTE, and is on their approved list, not to mention that it worked fine for a whole year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it an HD1905 or 1907? 1907 will stop working I believe

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
At&t is shutting off every device not on their list (and by very specific model number, no international / other carrier variants). It has nothing to do with 4g, they are just using it as an excuse to close off the network. Byod is dead

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Ugh, why you gotta suck so much, AT&T? I only use them because my dad retired after 30 years from them so we get employee pricing, but having to spend $700 on a new phone just because they’re jerks is 4+ years worth of increased monthly service fees.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If it is HD1905 it should keep working.

Edit: also they're supposed to send some free phone and warn you ahead of time, etc.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Yeah, I don’t want a trash free phone though, I want the good one that worked when I bought it and isn’t weighed down by horrifyingly bad proprietary att apps. I’ve seen the free phone they send, they forced my dad off his beloved flip phone and it’s this Motorola garbage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OK sorry just trying to tech support you and clarify then...you have the non at&t model then? They should have warned you, but I switched to tmobile and my "3g enabled" devices work with VoLTE, HD Voice, etc. :rolleyes: It's critical for my plan members to have dual Sim devices and they don't support any.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Oh, not mad at you at all, just frustrated that they’re pulling this on a perfectly fine device that meets all their actual tech requirements and that should work for another couple of years after promoting byod so heavily for so long. I guess I need to either roll the dice with flashing the firmware or switch carriers. You’ve been a huge help, far more than the 4 people at att that I’ve spoken to- every single one of them confirmed that 7ts are allowed devices.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

If I want to split off of my family plan does the account holder need to go to the store with me or can they just call him to verify?

Or can it all be done over the phone and we don't even need to go to the store?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm trying to figure out if this is a phone thing. My note 10 plus every now and then just drops signal entirely it goes to the no signal thing then back to full bars then full bars 5ge refresh connection and rebooting the phone tends to solve it for the day but it comes back like once every 2 and a bit weeks.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
They keep sending me phones lol

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Ordered a new iPhone for release day shipping when does it usually arrive in the morning or afternoon?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LionYeti posted:

Ordered a new iPhone for release day shipping when does it usually arrive in the morning or afternoon?

That is entirely dependent on who is delivering it. Unless someone here is your delivery person, no one could really tell you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LionYeti posted:

If you're sitting around waiting for it, it won't come. The instant you go take a shower or take a poo poo, they'll ring your doorbell asking for a signature.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
This might be the thread for this question.

I'm using a family member's upgrade tomorrow on the new iPhone. Usually I just take out my old sim and toss it in the new phone, but this time around its an esim. I'm worried that if I turn on the drat thing its going to deactivate their current sim card and transfer the number over to the new phone.

Anyone know what the process is here? Can I just toss in my old sim card and be done with it?

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Similar question about switching phones:

Wife has a Moto g5+ and new iphone 13 will be here in a couple of weeks. Since they both have the same nano-SIM size, can I just pop it into the new iphone? I didn't know if there was some difference because of her old phone being 4G and the new iphone having 5G capability.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

frosteh posted:

Similar question about switching phones:

Wife has a Moto g5+ and new iphone 13 will be here in a couple of weeks. Since they both have the same nano-SIM size, can I just pop it into the new iphone? I didn't know if there was some difference because of her old phone being 4G and the new iphone having 5G capability.

Should be fine as long as they're the same size. I went from 4G to 5G last year with the 12 Pro and it just worked.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

This might be the thread for this question.

I'm using a family member's upgrade tomorrow on the new iPhone. Usually I just take out my old sim and toss it in the new phone, but this time around its an esim. I'm worried that if I turn on the drat thing its going to deactivate their current sim card and transfer the number over to the new phone.

Anyone know what the process is here? Can I just toss in my old sim card and be done with it?

3 1/2 hours of tech support later I have no phone line on either phone, unsure about the line used to upgrade. However I did get to a point finally where the data is being transferred.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazing that AT&T can’t block the continual spam that starts “AT&T Free Msg” and uses correct first names. It’s a real menace for people like my mother-in-law who can barely grasp these internet things.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Amazing that AT&T can’t block the continual spam that starts “AT&T Free Msg” and uses correct first names. It’s a real menace for people like my mother-in-law who can barely grasp these internet things.

It's funny how I've paid my bill and received free gifts 23 times this month!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I get those texts, but they don't get my name right. They refer to me as HAROLD (always in all caps).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Same.

I really wish Apple would add spam filtering for Messages. Txt SPAM is out of control and there isn't much you can do about it.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Zero One posted:

Same.

I really wish Apple would add spam filtering for Messages. Txt SPAM is out of control and there isn't much you can do about it.

The most infuriating thing is you can install a junk sms filter app, but it only works on the device. So if you have messages in the cloud on your ipad and mac, it will happily forward the spam there. To say nothing of Apple Watch also getting the notification.

That said my text spam dropped tremendously when I disabled MMS entirely. I can't group text or send pictures to green bubbles, but that's what Google Voice in dnd mode is for.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

If I have a family plan using Mobile Share, can I have one of the lines be off on its own with its own Unlimited plan?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat discontinuing spotify being included in the unlimited plan. I don't like Spotify enough to pay for it on its own but as part of an unlimited bill I'm paying for anyway it was a nice bonus.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Nokia XR20 is not listed on the ATT compatibility PDF.

ATT phone support said it would be fine after Feb 2022.

Their twitter support said it would not world after Feb 2022.

Anyone have a better idea which will it be?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Athanatos posted:

Nokia XR20 is not listed on the ATT compatibility PDF.

ATT phone support said it would be fine after Feb 2022.

Their twitter support said it would not world after Feb 2022.

Anyone have a better idea which will it be?

Nobody at AT&T loving knows anything. Their system is entirely based on a whitelist of IMEI numbers, *not* device capability, so if Nokia hasn't paid their way in it won't work. I don't know if they did or not. AT&T won't give any clear answers.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Charles posted:

Nobody at AT&T loving knows anything. Their system is entirely based on a whitelist of IMEI numbers, *not* device capability, so if Nokia hasn't paid their way in it won't work. I don't know if they did or not. AT&T won't give any clear answers.

:psyduck:

I guess I'm going back to letter writing until someone figures out what phones work and dont. Who needs texting when you can just pony express.

They've been spamming me with "you better get a new phone soon or you're hosed," and it took me this long to decide on that phone. Now I get to start my search over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sorry. I ditched AT&T instead :P