Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I asked in the pre-paid thread, but cross-posting here to get some more eyes on my question:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone else here had problems with MMS on AT&T GoPhone?

I have tried two different APN settings:
Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: none
Port: none
Username and password are blank
Server: none
Mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
Mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Mms port: 80
Mcc: 310
Mnc: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: default

and:
APN: pta
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: internet

And also a third that just uses "Phone" for the APN, but is otherwise identical to the second one.

My data connection works fine on LTE for either of those APNs, I just can't send or receive MMS messages to save my life...most of the time. Sometimes, out of the blue, it will just work. The last successful one i sent was Sunday night. Since then, the ones I try to send fail, and the ones people send me have a notice saying they failed, and to click to download, and even if I wait till I'm an an area with full LTE, it will just hang at downloading and then after several minutes, repeat the message that the MMS failed to download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm wondering if this request can be done:

I'm currently on the $60/month AT&T Go Phone pre-paid plan.
My girlfriend is on the 10 GB Mobile Data Share plan with herself, her mother, and her brother. She's the "main" line on that account. The total amount for all three of them on that line (they all have smartphones, if that matters) is ~$130, because of some discount she gets through her employer. I looked at the prices in the OP, and I'm thinking that the plan must also have been cheaper when she signed up, because otherwise that's around a 40% discount...I've never seen one that high, usually they're around 15-20%.

We would like to add me to the line. That parts not tricky, I'm guessing. Though we want to make sure it doesn't bump the price way up, if we can keep it at about the $50/line price we're at now, that would be great. But if she was locked in at a lower plan rate, then might adding a line break that? I do know the most recent upgrade was used about a year ago (she got the iPhone 5s,) so if that didn't "break" the cheap plan price, then in theory adding a line shouldn't?

Secondly, here's the tricky part:
If I get added, I get an "upgrade" to use, yes? (We won't be using AT&T Next, just the regular 2-year upgrade plan.)
I would like to use that on (probably) the new Motorola X. However, I would like to use the online Motomaker. Is possible to set up my line on her account, so it has an available upgrade, but just not use it right away, and let the upgrade "sit" until the Moto X is released? Then if I go to the Motomaker site and put in the account details, it will still see the upgrade for my line on the shared plan?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

nimper posted:

Can't speak to your plan details but the Motomaker site has the new Moto X now available for order. It'll ship next week if you get the 16gb I believe.

Yeah, but I don't want to order it at full retail. I want to get an upgrade on a new line and use that.

Normally, I do pre-paid with full price phones, but getting on my GF's shared line is cheaper per month than my GoPhone plan (I'd be on the T-Mobile dork plan, but there's no T-Mobile service here.)

So this is one of the cases where it is 100% cheaper in every way to get on a plan with a contract. Cheaper phone, and cheaper per month, and I get more data (they have a 10 GB plan...and last billing cycle, the three of them used less than 3 GB...the rest can be all mine! :unsmigghh:)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

If they're on a mobile share plan (it sounds like they are) that's exactly how it works. Byod or next and you pay $15 (although they do let you know it's $40 discounted by $25), contract you pay the whole $40.

Adding a new line of next also comes with a $100 bill credit right now

So this is the same boat I'm in.

If I get onto my girlfriend's mobile share, which she has at $15/line, I can't get a regular discounted phone, I have to either buy full price or do Next if we want to keep $15/line?

And if I DO get a regularly discounted phone, will only MY line be at the $40 price, or will all of the lines of the plan be upped to $40 each?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

That's all correct.

"Discounted" phone means a 2-year contract. You pay $X up front, sign a two-year deal, pay $40 a month. If you buy a phone full price or with Next, you pay $15 for the service.

If you sign a contract, it's only your line that's $40 a month. Next is probably your best option, TBH. You pay $15 for the line + (phone price / (20 or 24)), which usually works out to $15 + $25 or so (iPhone 6 starts at $27.09/mo and the 6+ starts at $31.25--those are for 24 months. For reference, a 128GB 6+ on the 20 month plan is $47.50 a month extra--but it's $500 with a contract and $950 outright).

You pay for the phone either way. Next is an interest free payment plan (you pay tax up front). You can pay it off early and you can also keep the phone (or upgrade after 12/18 months by trading in the working device). It isn't 100% the best deal every time, but a lot of times it is.

Cool, cool...looks like Next might be the best option.

Ok, next (uhhh...pun not intended) question:

Can I get a Motorola X on Next, using the online Motomaker?

I see a button on the Motomaker for "bought in store" and it wants a PIN...so is that how I buy it with Next and can use Motomaker?

And it looks like if I get the fancy wood or leather back, and the 32 GB option, it'll be $575/(20 or 24) + tax. Tax will be $46 here, and then the monthly will be either $28.75, or ~$24.

So $15 for the line, $25-ish for the phone, and $25 for my share of the data. $65/month total. And then obviously if I pay off the phone cost early, it will go down to ~$40/month.

I'm currently on GoPhone and paying about $65 after tax and whatnot, so the price per month works out to be about the same, only this way, the cost of a new phone is included in that price, rather than having to buy it outright, full-price all at once.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So there's pretty much zero chance that the Nexus 6 will ever become a phone that can be purchased through Next, correct?

I'm ditching my GoPhone plan to go on a shared data plan on AT&T with my girlfriend and her mom to save money (and get more data,) and I was pretty much deciding between the new Moto X and the Nexus 6.

But the reveal that the Nexus 6 is going to be priced much higher than previous Nexus phones means the Moto X probably wins, since I can essentially do a 0% interest payment plan on it.

But if AT&T does offer the Nexus 6 in-store through Next, then I might go with that...screen's a tad larger than I would like, but all the specs are better than the Moto X...

But $650 is a lot to pay out of pocket all at once.

Edit: Looks like it may be offered?
http://www.att.com/cellphones/motorola/nexus-6.html

Transferred my phone # to her plan today, went off without a hitch. Looks like my cell phone costs are down from just over $60 after taxes and fees per month to under $50 (the plan is $160 before any taxes or fees, so that's $40+taxes+fees per person...probably works out to like $44 or $45.)

I like saving money. :c00l:

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 20, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

All the details I read on the data doubling say it only works if you're at a 15GB/month or above plan...I'm on a 10GB shared plan, so is there any way to get that doubled just by going to a store or calling retentions?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So is AT&T only getting the 32GB Nexus 6? That sucks...

I'll probably still get it, but I would prefer the 64 GB version (I'm on a 64 GB HTC One, and I'm at about 25 GB of used space, so in theory I could transfer to a 32 GB device and still have room to spare...but all that extra space is comforting.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Why would it even have a T-Mobile SIM if you buy direct from Motorola? I thought they all came SIM-less?

Edit: But regardless, yes. Buying a Moto X direct from Motorola means it will be carrier-unlocked.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

echobucket posted:

If I switch to the 15GB plan from the 10GB plan, will AT&T raise the price on me later and then discontinue the 10GB plan? Is this just a way to get people onto more expensive plans?

I'm scared by the whole "limited time" part.

Same here.

I'd love to get more data, but don't want to get hit with a large increase in cost three months from now without any way to back out.

Especially since this is technically my GF's line and I didn't tell her I'm planing to up the data...because if there's no cost increase, who needs to know but me? All the data for me!!! :getin:)

(Considering before I got on the plan, her, her brother, and her mom used less than 5GB on average in a month, I don't think they'll care if thret

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

At my job, I have an iPhone that we had to do a factory reset on. It's just an old 4S we keep around for some QA-ing in the websites we develop.

IO didn't realize that after resetting, I needed a SIM card to set it up...I thought it would be like Android where I can just skip that part and use it without one just fine.

Am I ok to temporarily stick my personal SIM in there to get it set up, then just take it out and put it back in my phone? The iPhone was on AT&T when it was first bought (though it may be unlocked now? Not sure,) and I'm also on AT&T.

I just don't want to get hit with any sort of "new phone activation fee" or something like that if AT&T detects the "new" phone that's not new that I'm never going to actually use.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

That gets me thinking, why don't more people piggy-back on each other's plans to create a "family" plan among friends, and just send the plan owner a check every month? Obviously it creates an annoying tie-in with credit if your friends fail to pay, but is that a viable option among a group of close friends to save money?

You shouldn't even have to send them a check. I'm on a family plan with my GF, her mom, and her brother, and any one of us can just go online and make a payment.

It's not implemented well, because ALL of our payment options are listed, so you have to make sure to chose YOUR bank account/credit card not someone else's.

Though I suspect that's my girlfriend's fault for letting everyone use HER "master" login credentials...I think she's able to create everyone their own credentials and they have limited functionality and I would assume can only see THEIR payments options.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is there any way to do a Next upgrade that lets me also use the current $140 off promotion for the Moto X Motorola is running on the Motomaker website right now?

I seem to remember some talks about how Next would only sometimes work with the Moto X, and you'd get a code to input on the website and it didn't always work, or the stores would be "out of stock " of the codes (how are you out of stock of something virtual?) And you might not get all the customization options?

I'll likely get the Moto X either way, but paying for it interest free over a year and a half is better than one lump payment.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

What are the key differences between the Pure Edition and regular Moto X? I thought that Moto's implementation of Android was pretty bare-bones as it is, pretty much just Vanilla with better voice activation and the active display stuff?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Out of nowhere today, my phone gave the message "lost mobile data connection" and I had to go to settings to turn on "roaming" with a notice it may incur significant charges, and now there's an R next to my cell signal strength.

WTF? I didn't even leave the state. Besides which, it's a nationwide plan like pretty much every other cell phone plan in existence. I did have to go back into my office this week, was working from home due to COVID like so many others, and the office is ~40 miles away, but I've literally been here years and never seen it say I had to turn on roaming. And I'm not nearly close enough to the Canadian border to be on one of their towers, so what gives?

Rebooted...went in and out of airplane mode, and still the same thing,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Charles posted:

Are you in a city with protests by any chance?

Not so much. There' been a few of them in my state as a whole (VT) and all have been peaceful, and definitely don't think there's one happening right now in the city I'm in.