Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm using AT&T with my iPhone 5 using LTE and my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

If I go over 5 GB, how much will AT&T throttle me?

EDIT: I've just gone over and have used 5120.4 MB and AT&T throttled me to 0.5 Mbps. That's insane...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the cheapest way (monthly cost) for me to use a 3G/4G USB modem with about 2 GB of data per month?

I'm currently on "FamilyTalk" with two phones:
* iPhone 5 w/unlimited data
* iPhone 4 with 250 MB (wife's phone)

This costs $94.29 per month (plus taxes/fees) after our 23% FAN discount.

If I switch to Mobile Share (for the sole purpose of adding a 3G/4G USB modem), it will cost a LOT more ($159.30 including the 3G/4G modem).

Do I have any other options?

I was hoping to get a 3G/4G USB modem added to my account for something like $20/month for 2GB...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks!

It looks like I have two options:

1) DataConnect (single-device) $50 for 5GB with FAN = $38.50
2) Mobile Share Data (single-device) - $30 (4 GB) + $20 with FAN = $43.10

If I only want a single device, I get an extra gigabyte plus it's cheaper for DataConnect, but then I can't add an iPad (if I ever get an LTE iPad in the future, etc)

Decisions, decisions...

I was really hoping for something cheaper but nothing good in life is cheap :)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Which plan is that?

I'm paying $30/month for unlimited data, so I guess there is a $50/month plan for 5 GB + tethering?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Has anybody voluntarily switched off an unlimited data plan?

I'm using an iPhone 5 with grandfathered unlimited data, but I want to be able to tether. I did jailbreak in the past to get "free" tethering but once I hit 5 GB they throttled me to EDGE speed which is almost unusable.

So... if they throttle at 5 GB, what's the point of keeping "unlimited" data?

I'm thinking about switching to the $50/month 5 GB plan which includes tethering (because the mobile shared plan is much more expensive for me and my wife)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Here's what I currently have:
code:
Primary Line
=============
FamilyTalk 700 = $60.00
Data Unlimited = $30.00

Second Line
===========
FamilyTalk 700  =  $9.99
DataPlus 200 MB = $15.00

Total is $94 after 23% discount on primary line.
If I switch to the Mobile Share plan:
code:
6 GB Shared   = $90
First iPhone  = $35
Second iPhone = $35

Total is $139 after 23% discount on 6 GB price only.
So... my options are an extra $15/month for the 5 GB tethering plan, or an extra $45/month for the mobile shared plan...

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 12, 2013

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I don't have texting so I end up paying a couple of dollars per text but I really don't text message very often.

I wish I jumped on that older $10/month for 500 text messages or whatever it was but now $30/month for unlimited texts is rediculously too expensive.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

obeyasia posted:

In your plan as it is, you are not factoring in the extra $20 you will add to be able to tether. Try again.
I did mention that at the bottom where I said it will cost an extra $15/month for me to add tethering. (assuming my 23% discount applies)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I see that AT&T offers Wireless Home Service (i.e. connect your home phones to a cellular device) but the website says it's $20.00/month.

I thought it could be added to an existing plan for $10/month or something like that?

(I'm trying to get rid of my landline...)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the information.

Does anybody have any experience with the Home Wireless setup?

My wife and I are on a family plan and have thousands of rollover minutes and for $10/month it seems like a pretty good deal for keeping a "landline"...

I wish it provided caller id name but that's not a big deal I guess.

EDIT: The reviews on Amazon don't sound too good......

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Quick question...

AT&T is offering me two choices for unlimited family messaging: (SMS/MMS)

Family Messaging Unlimited
and
Family Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling

Both of the plans are $30.00/month (will either be discounted by our employment group?), but the second plan also has unlimited Mobile to Any Mobile Calling. Is there any reason NOT to choose the second plan?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the help!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

If I move to the next Mobile Shared Value Plan, it says $130 for 2 lines.

Does my employer discount apply to any portion of it?

I'm thinking of finally switching off unlimited data for this plan...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Beefstorm posted:

Yes. It applies to the base portion. You can find your base portion in the OP.

Also I have had no time to clean the OP since we have been crazy busy. A combination of these plans and everyone being eligible for upgrade have slammed us.
Thanks.

It's finally cheaper for me to switch then...

$140/month for 2-lines right now. (one line has unlimited data + messaging though)

...and it will be $125 for 2-lines with the new plan. I'll lose unlimited data but gain 10 GB shared and I will also gain unlimited messaging for my 2nd line.

Hmmm...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody have any contacts at AT&T customer service or office of the president?

I've been an AT&T customer for over 10 years and am trying to get an issue resolved with my wireless line for seven days now. I've been promised multiple return phone calls and haven't received a single call yet.

I'm becoming quite frustrated...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Well, to make a long story short, my wife left her phone out in the rain and needs a replacement. She's due for an upgrade in four months so AT&T said they would grant an early upgrade (with a new 2-year contract of course and the $199 price).

That's fantastic, right? Last Wednesday the manager I spoke with said it was approved but the "ICU" department needed to perform the contract override and would contact me within 72 hours. It's been seven days now and I have spoken to no less than five people each telling me I should expect a call back that same day but so far nobody has called.

I'm not pretending to have a sense of entitlement, but I've been a customer for over 10 years and paid AT&T thousands of dollars so letting me upgrade two months early isn't exactly a massive favor. I'm still agreeing to a new two year contract and paying the price of the phone.

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 28, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've looked at NEXT but I don't like the ideal of paying more money per-month. I'd rather just pay for the phone up-front and be done with it. (aside from the two-year contract, which up until now wasn't a big deal since I was planning to stay with them for the foreseeable future)

EDIT: Oh, and you have to trade-in your phone after 12 or 26 months? That's not the plan for my wife then. She doesn't give a crap about her phone... She just wants an iPhone and she had the iPhone 4 for like 4 years until she left it out in the rain.

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 28, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for all of the information everybody.

A few minutes ago somebody (finally) called me from the executive response team and seems really helpful so fingers crossed. I'll keep you updated (as if anybody cares, hah)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So... to conclude my story, somebody at the corporate office was able to help me and fulfilled the initial promise of an early upgrade by an earlier customer service rep.

The corporate office even went so far as to contact the district manager of my local AT&T stores and allowed me to purchase the phone under subsidy right from the local store.

Happy ending I guess :)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

OK - So I've seen the new iPhone 6 and I want one.

My contract expires 9/14/2014, so do I have to wait until that day to pre-order the new phone or can I do it early? (i.e. 9/12, the first day of preorders)

If I'm use AT&T's site, it says I'm eligible for a new 2-year contract with $40 fee but I wanted to make sure I'm understanding that right.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've purchased an iPhone 6 using my wife's line but I'd like to activate it on my line. (i.e. cross-upgrade)

When I called AT&T, they said I needed a new SIM for the iPhone 6, but my old phone had a nano SIM that fits in the new phone.

Should I be able to activate the iPhone with my old SIM?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm currently on an unlimited data plan and really want tethering but I just can't make the numbers work in my favor.

Here is my current bill: (23% FAN discount)
code:
Primary Line (iPhone 6+, two-year contract)
=============================================
$46.20 ($60.00 - 23%)	700 minutes plan
$23.10 ($30.00 - 23%)   Unlimited data
$30.00 = Family SMS/MMS

Second Line (iPhone 5S, two year-contract)
=============================================
$9.99  = 2nd line
$15.00 = 200MB data     (wife sometimes goes a tiny bit over but not much)

Total == $124.29 (before taxes/fees)
The CHEAPEST mobile shared plan would be:
code:
$61.60 ($80 - 23%)	8 GB Shared
$40.00 (iPhone 6+)
$40.00 (iPhone 5S)

Total == $141.60 (before taxes/fees)
Even if I opted for NEXT instead of the two-year contracts, the bill would still be the same because the $40.00/month fees would become $15.00/month but then you add the next 18 plan and you're back to nearly $40.00/month.

Am I missing anything?

I hate to pay more money and lose unlimited data just for tethering but I guess that's my only option?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Is it possible to pay off the contract on a phone and reduce the mobile share monthly price from $40 to $15?

I have two phones (one is unlimited data and one is 200 MB plan) that I'd like to switch to mobile shared. Both phones were recently upgraded using two-year contract pricing.

If I switch to Mobile Shared, here is what my pricing would be:

$100/mo - 10 GB (now 15 GB with promotion)
$40/mo - iPhone #1 (under two-year contract)
$40/mo - iPhone #2 (under two-year contract)

I was told that iPhone #1 has 22 months left on contract and the ETF is $305 dollars. That's approximately $14/mo over the 22 months. However, reducing the $40/mo to $15/mo is going to save me $10/mo even after figuring in the ETF fee!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Well, it's the end of an era.

I just dumped my unlimited data plan for a mobile shared plan even though it's costing me $30 more per month. I'm tired of AT&T throttling me and this month it happened when I only used 4 GB.

Oh well. At least now I can use the mobile hotspot (without jailbreaking) and my wife can stream music without worrying about the data plan.

(By the way, I was still able to get the 15GB for 10GB price when I spoke with them...)

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I don't understand how they determine when to throttle.

All I know is that the AT&T website said I had only used 3.8 GB and I confirmed it with a chat representative as well.

A friend of mine also had unlimited data (until recently) and he routinely went over 15 GB every month and never had any problems. However, I'd had multiple times where they throttled me at or before 5 GB. (I'm using LTE network almost always, which I thought they allowed the full 5 GB instead of 3 GB on 3G but who knows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've just purchased an iPhone 6S directly from Apple and I paid full price for the phone because I wasn't eligible for AT&T Next or any early upgrades.

Will I be able to unlock the phone immediately since I paid full price?

I'm still under a two-year contract but I did pay full price for the phone.