Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

doughboy1013 posted:

Ok, I want to make sure I understand Mobile Share billing correctly and verify it is definitely not worth it in my situation.

My sister and I are on a family plan with two others (four lines total, two dumb, two smart), 25% discount. We both have the $30 3GB plan.

My understanding of the math is, since we do not go over our data allotment, the Mobile Share is definitely not worth our time if calculated correctly below...

Current:
Separate 3GB plans: $30 + $30 = $60

Other Options (w/ tethering):
Separate 5GB plans: ($50 + $50) * 75% = $75

Mobile Share:
4GB Share: $70 base * 75% + $40 2nd line = $92.50
6GB Share: $90 base * 75% + $35 2nd line = $102.50

This looks right?

I take it Mobile Share is intended for those who really need to tether (we don't) or have many, many lines.

Mobile share includes unlimited voice and texting though, you need to include your current voice/text costs in your calculations. It's not a new data plan, it replaces your existing family plan.

So just as an example:

Family Plan:

700 minutes base ($69.99) + unlimited texting ($30) + extra line ($9.99) + 2 3GB data plans ($30 + $30) = $170ish

Mobile Share:

6GB Shared ($90) + your smart phone ($35) + her smart phone ($35) = $160ish.

EDIT:

OH snap, didn't see that you had dumb phones on the plan. This might get messier then, although it depends on how many minutes you burn thorugh in a month.

EXAMPLE 2:

Family plan:

700 minutes base ($70) + unlimited texting ($30) + extra line ($10 + $10 + $10) + 2 3GB data plans ($30 + $30) = $190

Mobile Share:

6GB SHared ($90) + smart phone ($35) + smart phone ($35) + dumb phone ($30) + dumb phone ($30) = $220

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Avalanche posted:

Another thing...

Anyone know (or know how to find out) if ATT is allowed to tax the full retail, unsubsidized price of a phone in the state of Nevada? I know this can be done in California, but I thought this was restricted in NV.

Because it looks like I got taxed $42 on a $200 purchase... If Nevada allows that, then that's just the way it is, but if they do not then this loving corporate store isn't exactly following state tax law.

It looks like Nevada requires them to charge tax on whatever they paid the supplier for it if it's subsidized:

quote:

If a retailer sells the phone or equipment as part of a bundle with a service contract, then the retailer will charge sales tax on the cost of the phone to the retailer not the full retail price.

Example: a retailer may pay its supplier $200.00 for a cellular phone, however in order to enhance sales, the retailer offers a year’s worth of service for $99.00 a month, plus a free cellular phone to the customer. The sales tax is computed on the amount the retailer paid for the phone, $200.00

http://tax.state.nv.us/documents/Nevada%20Tax%20Notes%20Issue%20181%20January%202013%20.pdf

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 21, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

skipdogg posted:

They killed the 12 month upgrade on primary lines spending 100+ a month last year. Almost all of our lines through work were 100+ a month, and we were getting upgrades every 12 months, all the upgrades now are 18 months out.

Sad day, this basically meant brand new iPhone every year for the wife. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting, I got this today in my email box, looks like AT&T is going to start selling aggregated data to other companies. According to the privacy page they only sent this to customers whose information they intend to use for these programs:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We know your privacy is important, so we've made it a priority to talk to you about it. We're revising our Privacy Policy to make it easier to understand, and we want to point out two new programs that could help us and other businesses serve you better.

The first program will make reports available to businesses. These reports will contain anonymous information about groups of customers, such as how they collectively use our products and services. The second program will use local geography as a factor in delivering online and mobile ads to the people who might find them most useful.

As always, we follow important principles to keep your trust: •We are committed to protecting your privacy.
•We provide you with privacy choices.
•We will not sell information that identifies you to anyone, for any purpose. Period.
•We are committed to listening and keeping you informed about how we protect your privacy.
The two new programs are described in this notice, including your privacy choices for each. You can also read the new and old versions of our privacy policy at att.com/privacy.

To provide feedback on the new policy, please write us in the next 30 days at privacyfeedback@att.com or AT&T Privacy Policy, 1120 20th Street NW, 10th Floor, Washington, DC 20036.

Time to make sure I'm opted out I guess. More info (including opt out steps) here:

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/pdf/Privacy_Policy_Customer_Letter.pdf

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 1, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KingKapalone posted:

Do I need to tell ATT that I bought a Google edition Samsung s4? I used to have an iPhone 4. I ask because I can't get LTE. I'm sitting right next to someone who is getting it so I should be too. I'm just getting HSPA.

Yes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

At&t was quick to compete with T-mobile's yearly upgrade plan and announced At&t Next. I'm sure it's designed to completely screw you over, but I haven't done the math on how yet. Looks like you're just paying the full, unsubsidized price on your phone in installments.

Is that a perpetual '12 month' upgrade cycle as long as you stick with AT&T?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

KingKapalone posted:

I got a new SIM card activated so I can get LTE on my new Google Edition S4, but I'm still not getting it. I'm replacing my iPhone 4 with this. Do I need to do something else to get 4G? I think my data plan says it's "iPhone Data" or something. Is that limiting me?

Where did you get the SIM from? Last time I switched devices, they gave me a new SIM and validated that everything was working properly from a plan/data perspective in the store.

It's probably worth just stopping by an AT&T store and getting things squared away.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

myron cope posted:

Also is there any way that it could be to my advantage, like could I get something for it? I don't even know what I'd get, but I'm assuming AT&T wants people off unlimited plans?

They really haven't done much to incentivize getting people off unlimited plans. If you're on a family plan, you might be able to save a few bucks with a shared data plan (but maybe not), otherwise it's just a few bonuses like officially supported tethering and facetime over lte (if you're an iPhone customer).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

My store will bump an upgrade for Next, so its worth asking if a store would make an exception upgrade for that. Mileage will vary on that one.

How far out, it of curiosity? I'm in a similar boat as the other guy, year from an upgrade, and I'd suck it up and go next for that.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Beefstorm posted:

Our manager wont do that at all. However my old manager had something called "Credits Fest." Once a month, he really didn't care and let us free reign on closer tools. Typically to call back old customer to get them to buy. But we used it for everyone.

Any better time of month to try this?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

c0ldfuse posted:

What's the general consensus on the Lumia 1020?

I'm due for an upgrade and will likely have the scrill for it in the next month. Looking at that or the S4 (initially wanted the active, not sure how I feel about non-touch buttons now that I've adjusted to touch buttons).

Phone is primary internet source, email for work, and camera. All phones will do the first two well, might as well upgrade the third?

EDIT:
Forgot to add, been very happy with usability of Android. Hate iOS.

Does Windows OS allow same usability for USB storage? I want to be able to plug into USB and directly put music into a folder and have it work on phone, or pull photos out of a directory.

And I don't use much for apps.

I don't use OS X or Linux, but Windows Phone 8 does show up as a device you can drag/drop music, pictures, etc to in Windows Explorer.

We do have a windows Phone thread here if you have other questions:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514718

Edit: just to clarify, it's not USB mass storage, but uses MTP I do believe.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 19, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PurpleJesus posted:

I have an upgrade coming up in a couple months and I want the Nexus 5, which I assume will not be sold by AT&T. If I were to use my upgrade on an iPhone 5S, could I just turn around and sell it to anyone on AT&T? It's locked to the network, not the individual user, right?

Correct.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beefnoodle posted:

Thanks, but we're still paying on her contract, and I'd rather not double-pay for whatever usage she incurs. Is there a way to get what I need without that?

You buy the prepaid phone, put in your SIM (may need to get a new microsim) and go. Nothing else changes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

To clarify for non-ATT retail goons, as of August ATT retail employees only get paid revenue when you increase the bill. So if I have a customer with a total bill of $160 a month, and I switch them to a mobile share that is $150, I see $0 off that revenue. If I switch them to a $160 plan, I see $0. If I switch them to a $180 plan, I see $180. Or if it's a $160 plan with a $10 insurance plan, I see $170.

Sales working under a large company can be fun. The plus side is the goals are at least pretty easily achievable currently. I'm waiting for those to get jacked back up.

Oh, and they basically stopped paying on upgrades unless you do the aforementioned revenue increase or sell a billion accys.

Jesus, sorry AT&T retail employees, because as far as I can tell you will never make any commission off me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PurpleJesus posted:

I'm currently under contract with AT&T for the next 9 months, but I'm trying out Republic Wireless since it's ridiculously cheap. If I end up keeping it and want to port my number over, do I pay my ETF first or will it cancel my account automatically by porting it over?

The latter

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

edit: how is the insurance program for at&t? Is it Asurion?

Yeah, it's Asurion.

My only experience with it was not positive at all, but was several years ago. I bough insurance on a phone because they offered super cheap deductible on that model for some reason, and ended up dropping it a year or so later and broke the screen. They wouldn't replace it with the same model, claiming they didn't care it anymore and would only offer a shittier model as a replacement. Nothing I could do changed that at all, so I ended up getting the crappier phone to sell on eBay and cancelled the insurance.

Currently I think between the high deductibles on smartphones and the monthly recurring charge, it's hard to justify.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Cool, I may take the opportunity to switch my dad to a dumbphone and use his 8x as a backup. I just wasn't sure if the SIM cards swap over.

Lumia 520 seems to be almost constantly on sale, and is a decent backup phone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Beefstorm posted:

OP updated with new plan recommendations and upgrade acceleration.

Two year goons take notice!

DEAR GOD, AT&T might have found a way to get me on Next :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Congrats AT&T, between mobile share value plan and the free Next upgrade eligibility I finally got off my unlimited plans (although didn't ever use more than 3-5 gigs a month between the wife and I).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well that sucks, in the process of switching us over to the mobile share value plan the rep signed us up for three additional services that she never asked me about. I was wondering why I didn't get a printed plan summary after the transaction, and I guess that's why. Customer service removed them without a fuss and backdated them, but still lovely (although I'm assuming this is in part due to rear end in a top hat commission requirements).

Sounds like someone will be getting a grumpy survey response.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Beefstorm posted:

Just for fun, what were the features?

Insurance, some sort of premium support and beats music family pack (which the customer care phone rep said was actually free for a period of time due to the service just launching).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

emocrat posted:

Hmm, well that is the problem.

They wont allow me to add the line without the SIM card, or at least that is what they told me on the phone last night.

Edit:

Yeah, as far as I can tell I cannot add a line at all without having the SIM. When I try and do so through the website they require I buy a device. When I try to order a SIM card alone, I cant simply order it. They require I order it with a new line of service, however when I do so, I get moved over the the premier site, which strips the SIM out of my cart. Premier supports tells me I am not able to order a SIM through premier.

I am guessing they will not give him a SIM for a line that doesn't exist yet, and as you have said they will not let him open the line. Total clusterfuck.

Can you not just go to a store and get a SIM that you chuck in the garbage and then have him get a new SIM?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chakron posted:

I have a Nexus 5 that I really like on T-Mobile with no contract. Unfortunately T-Mobile service isn't great at my apartment, while AT&T is. Can I get a 2 year contract with AT&T, pay $200 for whatever the latest and greatest version of the iPhone is, then sell the (I'm assuming locked) iPhone for $500-600 and use my Nexus 5 for the remainder of the 2 year plan?

Could also just go with one of the new no-contract AT&T plans, but was curious about the above.

Yeah either would wor, you'd have to run the numbers and see what makes more sense. I haven't found a way to make 2 year contract devices work in my favor though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dumb question, we have two family members who want to port their out of state numbers into my family plan (which I will bump up for lol double data) Is that going to be a problem, or does no one really care about area codes anymore? We live in Washington state, numbers are from Alaska, if that matters.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Molten Llama posted:

Actually porting from another carrier or just moving existing AT&T lines into your family plan?

Porting from another carrier.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Huge_Midget posted:

Does anyone know how much I could get for my wife and I's old AT&T iPhone 5? She has a 32gig and I have a 64gig, both are in flawless pristine condition. I know they were doing a trade in promotion when the 6 launched but I wondered what they are offering now?

That same deal is still going, you will likely get more from a private party:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Raimondo posted:

I just got a random charge from "AT&T MOBILITY II" for $58.50. Any ideas what that might be, or how I can figure it out?

My normal monthly charge is "ATT MOB RECURRING" for $179.56. Customer service was no help. They basically said my last charge should have just been my monthly bill and they have no idea what that one is for.

I plan to just have American Express do a chargeback as soon as it goes from pending to posted. Hopefully it's not related to the iPhones I ordered 9/27 and this messes up their shipping if I charge it back.

Did you call Amex to get contact info for the vendor?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Silly Burrito posted:

And yet unlimited data plans get throttled at 5GB because of congestion. :argh:

OH JEEZ MR LEECH. :mad:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

AT&T's online system seems to be getting crushed to death right now, but I do see the 15GB plan as an option.

Store people, I'm assuming you guys don't make any $$$ if I switch from 10-15GB in a store?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Celador posted:

Mine says current plan is 10GB, and the "Compare to" on the right defaults to 30GB. Clicking it down jumps to 6GB and back up goes to 30GB. It totally skips any 15GB option for me.

Yeah, mine is now doing the same thing. :(

EDIT: Logged out and logged back in and it somehow worked, so yay I guess, 5 free gigs.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 18, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pzy posted:

Just here to bitch about getting throttled to poo poo after 5GB on my almost 8 year old "unlimited" plan. I can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit and that sweet $10 coupon and millions for the lawyers.

Yeah, sadly this is going to be a "wait for the AT&T to settle with the feds and you get nothing" thing since you can't actually sue AT&T yourself anymore (thanks supreme court!)

http://consumerist.com/2014/10/28/att-sued-by-feds-for-throttling-unlimited-wireless-customers/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Except that price difference doesn't make up for the loss of my unlimited data.

What I mean to say is that despite if that particular gripe (subsidized vs monthly) is null. The point of contention is the fact I want to keep my unlimited and if I have to lose it in order to upgrade in a timely manner (phone is completely worn out) why would I continue to pick ATT when they have consistently provided horrible customer service. (Aside from you guys who have been frank and much more helpful in all aspects)

It's just a strange dynamic for me, because the only other company that has been this much of a stonewall to me has been my ISP, but the difference there is that they have an actual monopoly.

Well, except unlimited data = we will throttle the poo poo out of you if you actually use it.

It sucks, but I couldn't find any compelling reason to hold onto it in the face of what the new plans offer. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

GoodBee posted:

Did they stop offering unlimited and then start throttling the old plans?

Yeah, pretty much.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

ReaveTheJust posted:

I have an easy question:

I am 4 months shy of the end of a 2 year contract and my current phone is worse for wear. I bought an unlocked Moto X 2014 from Motorola with their Cyber Monday $140 off code to replace it.

What should I expect when I go into the store for a sim card and activation? A quick $40 charge and go on my way?

In my experience, no $$$, just get a new sim and go.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

drat, one less reason to stay on that unlimited plan:

quote:

AT&T will let 50 million customers carry over unused data to the next month

AT&T's data plan just got a lot more forgiving. Today, the company announced that starting January 25th, any AT&T customers in the Mobile Share Value system will be able to carry over unusued data to the next month. Since most users tends to fluctuate widely in data use from month to month, that will give users significantly more flexibility in data usage and a much better chance at avoiding overage fees. The Mobile Share plan already allows different users to share the same pool of data, so allowing the data to rollover will add an even larger buffer. "We’re saying thanks to our more than 50 million plus Mobile Share Value subscribers," said AT&T Mobility CEO Glenn Lurie.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/7/7507863/at-t-will-let-50-million-customers-carry-over-unused-data-mobile-share

and a link with actual details:

http://about.att.com/story/att_gives_50_million_customers_shareable_rollover_data_at_no_charge.html

quote:

HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:

•All levels of AT&T Mobile Share Value plan customers automatically receive the Rollover Data feature – no signing up, no additional cost.
•Rollover Data can be shared with everyone on the same Mobile Share Value plan.
• If you do not use your full allotment of plan data in a given month, the extra amount automatically rolls over and is available to be used within the next month.
•Within a given month, you will use your plan allotment first, before you begin using your Rollover Data. Unused Rollover Data does not carry over.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

nimper posted:

Caveat emptor on that -- it looks pretty good on its face but the way it works is a bit screwy. Your data bucket and your rollover bucket are separate, and the rollover bucket only gets drained if you use up your data bucket. The rollover bucket resets every month.

Yeah, that seems pretty straightforward.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How long does it take FAN discounts (or whatever they are called these days) to show up?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kinda curious if this is going to get AT&T to finally boot people off the unlimited plans:

quote:

In a case that could have broad implications, the Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday ordered prepaid mobile provider TracFone to pay $40 million for slowing down the speeds of customers who had paid for unlimited data service.

While the case was specific to TracFone, a number of carriers still offering unlimited service have been slowing down, or throttling, the speeds of customers who use more than a certain amount of data. Both the FTC and Federal Communications Commission have taken a dim view of the practice.

“The issue here is simple: When you promise consumers ‘unlimited,’ that means unlimited,” said Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a statement Wednesday.

http://recode.net/2015/01/28/ftc-says-unlimited-data-with-throttling-doesnt-count-as-unlimited/

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So is it not possible to do a phone upgrade at a store without the rep sneaking one or more services onto your plan (insurance, etc)? Last 3 upgrades that's happened, I'm inclined to just start doing everything via an Apple store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends on where you go, but given the pressure around metrics unfortunately crap like that (slamming) happens. AT&T employees are sales driven, so either way you'll usually get pitched on about 5 different things. It sucks because it then gives all stores and employees a bad rap.

Only downside to Apple is they tend to not know the plans, so they sometimes sell someone something more expensive just because they don't know any better.

Yeah, I never switch plans at a store, everything is on NEXT plans, so these are just trade in, new phone transactions with no plan changes.