Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Got a couple questions for any ATT employee who might be able to answer since the phone reps and online reps wont give me an answer.

Is it possible to disable data and text to a specific phone?
What i want to do is pre-order the the Galaxy Note 3 and use the absolute bare minimum plans for everything (NationWide 450 minutes $39.99 and 300 megs of data for $20.00)
This should bring my bill to $59.99 a month according to their bill calculator.

Now, the other question is this: I work for Sears Holdings and according to our companies third party discounts I should get 23% off the monthly plan costs. I can do the math so i know what the bill SHOULD be, but i dont know if those plans are covered by the corporate discount(The reps wont tell me unless i actually buy the plans first, which is a red flag to me). If it does work, what other potential fees would i be looking at? If there is any way to tell me exactly what i would be paying per month after fees and tax? I live in Arizona, i believe our current sales tax is 8.9%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman: Thank you for the response, i appreciate it.

Id like a little clarification if anyone can provide it. On the AT&T company discount website, my totals are showing up as this - Sub-Total (one time charges): $335.99 Sub-Total (monthly recurring charges): $50.79

Here is the part where i need help with the clarification though. This monthly subtotal does not include "discretionary charges". Since they don't tell you how these numbers are factored in and all the reps ive talked to essentially say "You will find out once you have the plan, let me have your credit card numbers." If anyone knows how to factor these charges in, i would really appreciate the help on it. For some reason, im pretty sure its not going to simply be adding them all in as that would make my monthly total around $55(Edit: I found out Im an idiot by re-looking at those charges and my math was terrible. but ill leave it there so people can get a laugh.) but im probably doing something horribly wrong.

These charges are listed like this:

State
ARIZONA
Federal Universal Service Fund
15.1%
State Universal Service Fund
$0.00
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
Administrative Fee
$0.61
Other AT&T Surcharges
5.6% - 13.5% +.$0.28

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 30, 2013

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I have a question for any ATT employee...

At work a few days ago, my District Manager came in, saw my Note 3, and asked if i got the free Gear with it. I told him that i hadnt been offered the Gear at all so he showed me an email detailing the promo and said that since im part of Sears and have the FAN attached to my account I should call Customer Support and get one. The deal runs form October to January 9th. He bought his Note from the same store on the same day I did and said he didnt have any problems dealing with CS to get the Gear. It took him about 20 minutes to get everything in order. According to the email, anyone associated with Sears Holdings should be eligible for the promotion.

I have spent about 7 hours on the phone since yesterday dealing with this. Nobody can tell me anything and the Business Premier guys either hang up the call or tell me to go into the store.
So, i went into the store and the guy told me "There is no loving way your getting a Galaxy gear because you didn't know about the deal when you made the purchase. Its not our responsibility to tell you every deal thats going on." Im pretty sure this guy is the manager as he was the only person there yesterday and was the only one in the store today when i stopped by. Tried calling the store about 15 minutes ago and he was the one that picked up.

Anyway, ive now spent about 7 hours on the phone dealing with the situation and no one can seem to help me. Business Premier keeps telling me to go to the store, but if that guy is gonna treat me like that, what other recourse do i have? The main CS people dont want to deal with any of this at all and keep transferring me to numbers that are currently offline for the rest of the day because of the holiday or giving me back to Premier.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I appreciate the info. Got the managers number and gave him a ring. My Gear will be here tomorrow and the guy from the store is gonna get talked to.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Is there any way to actually block any texts that are not from ATT? I keep getting random texts from mistyped numbers, and while some of them are kinda funny to read, its not funny having to pay 20 cents per text.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

For the ATT guys:

So, over on XDA people are talking about the whole T-Mobile thing. One guy claimed he told the reps that he rarely uses any minutes on his plan (450 nation) and wanted to know if there was anything they could do to lower his bill and they were able to put his minute plan on a lower cost 300 plan which ended up being $20 less. He was also given 6 months of texting free.

When i called ATT CS, they said there is no such thing as a 300 minute plan. Just wanted to know if you guys can confirm or deny it.

I hardly use my minutes and would gladly trade down on talk time for increased data if possible.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 25, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

How does the FAN discount work with the new Mobile Share value plans? Is it better to keep my current 450 Nation + 300 megs data (no texting)? I dont really text alot, i use google Voice for that, but having it as part of my normal phone number would be nice. With my current set up im paying $58.18 per month.

Also: Beefstorm, sorry i forgot to thank you for info before, so Thank you!

Edit: Looking over some stuff, it seems the 450 nation plan might be worth keeping since the 3 gig data option is a lot cheaper than going with any of the value plans if i decide to up my data.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 29, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So how do the FANs work with the new mobile family share? Don't know if you got that pm i responded to Beef, but im really curious to find out if its worth switching over. Ive got 3 family members on cricket with basic(feature? definitely not smartphones.) phones and i know i can probably get 2 of them to switch over if i put them on the family plan. Im looking at this mostly from the data perspective since 10 gigs would mean id really never have to worry about going over.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Reo posted:

I posted in the jailbreak thread but maybe it's better here:

My wife bought an iPhone 5c online, which is locked to AT&T. We mistakenly believed that we could get a friend with AT&T service to request an unlock, since that's what we did with her last iPhone, but AT&T did their whole crackdown and won't do it unless it's been on an active AT&T service for a while, it seems.

Is there anything else we can do to unlock it to other carriers? I saw mentions of unlock codes or adding it to a friend's account temporarily, how do those work?

Thanks!!

If your wife bought it outright from a legitimate retailer ATT cant deny you an unlock code because you own the device.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I dont think your 23% discount works on the $100 data part, only on the talk/text(The $15 part for bringing your own phone or next) plans. This is exactly what im trying to find out myself though. if the discount works on everything, i would gladly switch over to the mobile family share plan and bring 2 or 3 more family members over to ATT.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

If i switch over the the Mobile Family Share and then add 3 lines using go phones, would i qualify for the $100 credit per line added?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Out of curiosity, why am i being charged for texts from google voice over wifi? Voice is not sending me texts via att SMS, Voice is set to never text me SMS alerts and this is the first month ive ever been charged for texts over it not to mention all 6 of them were done while i was covered by wifi.

Ive been using Voice to take care of my lack of text option, so whats changed with ATT thats causing me to get charged 20 cents per now?

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 13, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beefstorm posted:

Are you sure google isn't forwarding the texts to your cell number?

Also what plan on you on? If you are using a smartphone without texting, you are probably on a weird old plan.

I double checked Voice and all the settings are the same as they have always been. texts off, no sms alerts, etc.
Im pretty sure it has to be Voice, or maybe Hangouts.. Hangouts doesnt give me an option to not get SMS alerts, so that actually might be the culprit since i realized all 6 of the incoming texts initally showed up on that first then came through Voice right after.

Im on the Nation 450 plan with no texting and 300 megs of data.

One last thing: When looking at the mobile share plans on the webpage, when i select the 1gig data option, it shows "May be eligible for $15 credit per month" How do i know if im actually eligible? Is the 1gig plan FAN discount eligible?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

nimper posted:

Do you use Voice+ on Cyanogenmod, by any chance? That's the only scenario I can imagine that would be sending your Voice messages through Hangouts (I used to do the same thing).

No, im using stock android on a Note 3. The Hangouts thing JUST started happening this month though. Ive never had Voice texts go through Hangouts like they did this month. Might be Google trying to tie in Voice and Hangouts stuff though too. But its not much of a problem at this point, ill just see if i can remove or freeze Hangouts for now and see if it alleviates the problem. Also, i think ill get texts disabled for the account to be on the safe side.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

The 1GB plan is the mobile share value and you would be eligible for the $15 discount if you buy your phone outright. With the plan you have it wouldn't make sense (yet, although I guess we will see if they roll out cheaper individual plans). You pay $60 a month now, the 1GB is $70 and no phone discount.

If you need data up to 3GB for $10 extra a month.

Yeah thats what i was thinking. With texting supposedly being disabled by a chat CS now, upping to the 3 gigs of data might be the best way to go in the long run.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im running into a rather wierd issue.

Trying to add a line to my account to get the free Asus Memo Pad FHD 10 for a family member. When i add it to the cart and add the 250mb Data Connect plan, it pushes me to the ATT business Premier website and kills my cart and wont let me add any tablets. It only lists the Sears, Roebuck and Co. business promos.

Im on the phone with the ATT rep who went into my account and side-by-side did everything i did and gets the same results (keeps booting her tot he Premier site) and is now telling me that i can NOT get the data connect 250 plan thats offered and i am required to go to a Mobile Share plan.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Edit: They put me through to Business Premier and i was told that becuase i have the FAN on my account i am not allowed to shop through the standard consumer website and in order to get the free tablet i must remove my FAN, do the order, and then wait 3 billing cycles and then re-add my FAN or i will have to pay full price for the tablet.

What the hell kind of answer is that?

Gave it one more shot, talking to one of the chat sales reps, and DURING the conversation the tablet is "No longer available in your area."

Final edit: The chat sales rep was immensely helpful, she told me to just sign up as a new customer and put the order through and then merge accounts. She said the $100 bill credit will remain in effect once i merge as well. So overall, im very happy with her help. The Premier CS people could really use someone like her to learn from.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 14, 2014

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

c0ldfuse posted:

Anyone interested in unloading a spare 2013 Moto X to me? let me know what you want price wise.

Cracked my screen as my phone fell 12" out of my pocket while pulling down my pants to to use the bathroom. First screen cracked ever. What BS.

Is nearly unusable cracked.

Something to try: Get one of those cheap PEVA screen protectors, or if you dont mind spending about 5 bucks, get one of the glass ones from XtremeGuard when they do the 80 or 90% sales. My friend cracked the screen on his note 3 and i gave him my spare tempered glass one and he hasnt had any issues with it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Well, the previous text that was here was me being a moron. My billing cycle hasn't changed, just the date at which they take the payment. So now i have to pay ~9 days earlier. Im starting to dislike this, because it FEELS like they have gipped me out of almost 2 weeks of service with these pay dates.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 27, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Odd question for anyone who might know.

Anyone know why, when i restart my phone, for about a week the battery will drain like nuts. 90% in a 24 hour period with minimal use. after that week, it gos back to its usual 30%-ish per day? Thought it was my phone, but another coworker with ATT has the same problem with her LG. Im using a Samsung Note 3.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone know what the discount is for having direct TV and a phone line through att? Would my FAN work with the direct TV stuff?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sounds like he's streaming youtube stuff at 4k. Tell him your going to limit him to a sane amount of data, like 4 gigs a month.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

He's driving while watching Youtube? Why don't you start dealing with that first?

I often use youtube for music streaming when I'm on wifi. Not a far stretch to imagine someone thinking it's ok to do on 4g or whatever.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. is there a way to prevent people from bypassing your ringer and going straight to voicemail?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

If i switch FANs, will it screw up my bill for a couple months? Or will the pricing from the old FAN hold until the new one takes effect?

Also, is ATTs website having wierd issues? It wont let me login through a pc but works just fine on my phone. I tried different browsers with and without adblock.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

myron cope posted:

So is this right? I'm going to link instead of embed because I don't know how big it will be (phone screenshot): http://imgur.com/a/vcJQU

My current plan (15gb, 7 devices) is on the left, the unlimited plan is on the right. I end up paying like 280-ish a month so I don't know where that 380 number comes from but that seems like an absurd difference.

Doesn't seem like there would be a reason not to switch if that's the case.

Edit:
Looking at it a little more, it seems wrong. It says I pay $40 per line access charge currently, and the new plan would be $20 per line. But if I look at the actual bill, it does say $40 for access but then it also says a credit of $25 for each line. I'm not sure if that's a promotional rate that's going to go away or if I'm grandfathered into some different rate but it seems like I'm only paying $15 a line. So the unlimited plan is slightly more expensive on its own and then also $5 per line more.

I'm not sure where that discount is coming from though. I have a "national account plan" credit for $19 on there, then a "discount for access" of $25 for each line.

Edit2:

So the $25 a month discount is for being off-contract. The AT&T "compare plans" page is super misleading. And barely mentions that FANs don't apply either. lovely

Im glad i read your post.. i was about to drop Cox for tv and pick up direct tv and change my att plan to the unlimited. Initially figured it would be about the same with the FAN included but i was wrong. Should have guessed att would screw people over.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Your plan wouldn't drop, the old unlimited was the same price even with two year contract, which was their big appeal.

Compare old and new plans to see which is better monthly, whichever phone you get you will be buying full retail either up front or over 2 years.

For Germany you can either call and get an expensive roaming plan with ATT or buy a local SIM when you get there. ATT international is +1 (916) 843-4685

Not sure if your military discount applies to the new plans, so factor that in too.

According to my rep, all FAN discounts do not apply to either unlimited plan now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Just ordered an s9+. When it arrives can i just take the sim card from my s7 edge and toss it in the s9? Or will i have to pay the 35 activation fee?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Just swapping it is how it usually works

Thanks, appreciate the response.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm currently on the unlimited plus 1 line plan, would I actually be saving money if I switched to the new unlimited and more one?

And would I lose my discount with DirecTV since the sign up promotion was for unlimited plus members? The discount basically extended the 45$ select plan to the full 2 year contract instead of just the first year.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Att cant just upgrade you to a more expensive plan. They can do increases on current plans(usually a couple bucks) or add extras for free like data upgrades for long time users on old plans.

They need your consent to change a plan outright though. If you did not acknowledge a change to a much more expensive plan you need to call up retentions and find out who did.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

For the record, they can absolutely always change a plan. It’s more some plan changes void a contract where you can leave no penalty, and some do not.

Huh, didnt know that. Thanks for clarification, could have sworn they couldn't break contract without reason.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone know if att has any hidden specials for walmart employees beyond the fan discount? I cant find any on our intranet.

Ex: Sprint has a $25 unlimited everything plan and tmo has a 28 and 34 unlimited everything plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I've never upgraded through att before. I tried to do the 1000 off a note 20 line and got the phone today but there was no info in the box for the trade in. There was the rma/exchange label but it doesn't mention trade in... did something get messed up or do I just send my old phone in that box with that label?

I've been on hold for almost an hour so far with cs.