Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a way for AT&T to set a hard data limit on one smartphone of a regular family plan? So it can never go over? What about on the mobile share?

Something else, this may be fyi for people here using a FAN discount: (maybe everyone knew, I'd never seen it mentioned)

I have a traditional family plan with a FAN discount from work. I went to add a line today at a corp store, wanted to use an old phone I had so I just got a sim from them. The guy assured me it's no-contract and I could cancel any time, just a $36 activation and the monthly service after that.

I got home, looked at the printout they gave me and it showed that new line in the ETF section: 24 months and $325 etf. Called 611 they confirmed, it's contract, after a bit they got the contract cancelled based on the fact that guy at the store said there'd be none. The 611 lady said it happened because of the FAN, it's automatic 24 months for any new line even if you bring your own equip. Is that a normal thing? Normal for certain companies FAN discounts? Or did I almost get BS'ed/railroaded somewhere?

Edit: guy at the store is the same guy who just recently got us an upgrade 3 weeks early so I hope nothing bad comes on him cause of something it seems like he had no idea of. The 611 people did call the store.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
You could bump up your plan on one of the iphones to the $50 one and run a hotspot on the phone unless you have a need for a separate device.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Vinlaen posted:

Which plan is that?

I'm paying $30/month for unlimited data, so I guess there is a $50/month plan for 5 GB + tethering?

IANAAE (I am not an ATT employee [like some here are]) but yeah the $50 plan includes tethering, is what my wife has, from what I've read on the internet switching a line with unlimited to anything else means you've lost unlimited forever.

And on mobile share you're supposed to be able to tether/run hotspot on phone on any of your phones on the mobilshare plans.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is at&t actively throttling unknown encrypted traffic? I have mobileshare plan. S3 LTE with cyanogenmod.

I run ssh server on an odd port at home and when away from home I transfer files via ssh/sftp (I tunnel rdp and other things too)

Where I should be getting about 250KB/s down to the phone, I'm usually only getting 50-80KB/s either on my phone or a laptop tethered to it. Anything else not going through my ssh is super fast.

edit: I don't usually upload to home from phone but just tried that and getting just between 50-80 there too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 4, 2014

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Sorry if this has been covered but I haven't been itt in a year or more. I saw someone a few days ago in a/t thread saying if you are no longer bound by a contract you can somehow ask for a $25/month per line discount?

I have 2 smartphones on the shared data plan and both are out of contract. I just called 611 and asked, the lady said she'd not heard of that and tried to look it up on something but couldn't find anything. Is this true? What do I need to ask for?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Endless Mike posted:

If you're on a shared data plan, the line access charges should automatically reduce once the contract ends. Also note it's $15 for plans under 10 GB and $25 for plans 10 GB or more. Check your bill and see wha your line access charge is.

Now I'm confused. I have 10gb mobileshare, I just looked at the bill and at the pricing page: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=WCnDjExhMU_

On the bill it says $120 for the 10gb "parent" plan and $30 each smartphone. but the pricing page says the 10gb plan is $100 and $40 for each phone. Would be same $180 cost for 2 new ones but I'm definitely not getting a discount.

I was wrong about both lines being out of contract, only one is but I'm paying $30 a month for each to be on the plan, no discount for the out of contract one.

Are my #s different due to maybe an older plan and changing to a newer one would lower the "parent" cost to $100 (from 120) and give the $25 discount for the out of contract one? (while also raising the in contract one to $40 instead of $30)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 14, 2014

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Thanks you all, I'm for sure on the older mobileshare one, I now remember last upgrade/new contract was much later than I thought (my wife in aug/sep 2013) and i switched to mobileshare from familytalk before feb this year judging by a post I made itt feb 4. Gonna get it switched and also remove wife's $7/mo $200 deductible insurance on her note II that looks like isn't even worth $200 on ebay, $32/mo less.

edit: and speaking of insurance/note II values, before I cancel insurance, she's got a crack in the screen, didn't seem worth it at a $200 deductible to get it replaced with a refurb note II, but is that the way it works? would they somehow give a note III or something else newer for $200/no contract change? or just a refurb note II like I'm thinking? (been a customer for 15-16 years with no past-dues if that makes a diff)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 14, 2014

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Duckman2008 posted:

It has nothing to do with time as a customer and everything to do with available inventory at Asurion. Start a claim for her number at phoneclaim.com it will tell you what phone you would get before you pay $200. And either way you can then cancel the insurance after that. Basically if they don't have a note 2 in stock you get next newest equivalent phone (in theory a note 3).

Thanks, it's saying galaxy alpha is what they'd replace with. Also said the deductible is reduced to $99 since we haven't made a claim in a year.

This sounds like something I should do even though its a smaller phone, it'll sell for more $ on ebay in february when both our lines are up for an upgrade than a broken note II will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I asked a few days ago about why I'm not getting a discount for my out-of-contract line, the answer was I'm not on the new mobileshare value.

I just changed it to that on the website and it shows both of my lines, even the one in contract until feb are $15 each. I was expecting $40 for the in-contract one? I don't want to call and ask and them be all like "oops our mistake, changing it to $40 for you".