Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I hadn't heard of this particular scam, so thanks for venting about it here. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are you going to have internet service? Frankly I find WiFi calling to be more reliable and have better call audio quality.

If you can set up a WiFi mesh system on your property IMO you'll be happier vs an ATT Microcell. My mother in law has one and it kinda sucks. Short range too. I used to have one, and turned it in when WiFi calling came out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SMS and MMS work on WiFi for me.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

How do I know if I'm using WiFi calling? Even where I'm living now had terrible reception and I have lots of calls to make to mortgage companies and inspectors related to the next place with terrible reception. if I can verify WiFi calling is working, I'd feel better about making calls here rather than going outside.

It depends on what kind of phone you have, but if you haven't enabled it (process where you have to set an e911 address) you probably don't currently have it on.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

US Cellular is CDMA, so it depends on your phone. If it's US Cellular branded, it may not work on a GSM network. The radio is there, but carries will lock the phone down to the frequencies they want you to use.

I don't think there's any harm in trying it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FunOne posted:

Following up from last week. Just pop the drat SIM in. You won't break anything. If it works then you're good, if not, then you might still have some tricks to try to get it to work.

Is there a way to update the provisioning on my AT&T account for a new phone to enable WiFi calling et-al without visiting a store? You used to be able to submit a form online but their new MyAT&T website sucks. Online chat went through the motions then told me I was in the wrong loving department. Like I chose it!

Is this an AT&T branded phone with stock firmware? If so, it should work if it's a WiFi calling capable device (and you've activated WiFi calling on your account, I think. Dunno if you even still have to do this).

If it's not a phone that was sold by AT&T with their firmware, it probably won't work. Supposably, they will have it working for all devices, even factory unlocked, by the end of 2019.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is this an AT&T branded phone? Edit - or a Pixel?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 28, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FunOne posted:

Clearly a Pixel. Online chat, now 4x tries. I've had 2x 'we have to transfer you' after I clicked 'Chat' on the loving webpage and talked with them for 15 minutes.

Latest one told me I needed a new SIM card.

Why is this so stupid?

I was asking, because pixels are supposed to just work on AT&T WiFi calling. My wife's P3 worked immediately, though as I recall enabling it on the phone was hidden in a sub menu. It isn't an option on the pull-down toolbar like other Androids. Is it telling you that provisioning has failed?

frosteh posted:

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I have a Moto X4 bought through Google Fi and switched to an AT&T prepaid plan. I used to have wi-fi calling when I had Fi, but after switching that option has disappeared. Talking to AT&T support hasn't really helped :(

Yeah you're not going to get WiFi calling working on that. AT&T are fuckers and lock down WiFi calling to their own carrier locked phones (and Pixels, because Google insists on their own firmware on their phones). Technically they could add your IMEI to their whitelist, but anecdotally they won't.

Are you still getting software updates since switching?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

22/GB per line before possible slow down was definitely the old unlimited plan.... Like you said, I don't see that anywhere on the new one.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

FWIW, when I went to ubreakifix a couple months ago because my S10e refused to update and they manually updated for me - when the phone rebooted it displayed the 5Ge symbol.

I know the ATT 5Ge isn't real 5G but interesting that the provisioning for it was apparently in the phone's firmware update and not the SIM.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It doesn't display on all towers, but where it does display, I find that speed is consistent and doesn't vary like non-advanced LTE.

So I guess you're saying that my phone was already using advanced LTE on those towers, and the update changed the graphic to show that?

Edit - I'm seeing published tests that put ATT's average advanced LTE speeds at 28 Mbps with max being about 40.... But I'm seeing 50Mbps and max of 108 down/12 up which I thought was pretty good. I'll take the network improvements even if it's fake 5G.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't blame them for wanting to advertise their new upgrades (and in my personal experience they are legitimate improvements).

But to everyone's point the name is dumb.

https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/1082379986051358720

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Per the article, phones that are LTE but aren't ATT whitelisted may also be affected? They suggest that not-whitelisted phones may be currently connecting for voice with the 3G radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Charles posted:

At the very least it will need to support VoLTE, which might be called Enhanced 4G on your phone. I think any current device should have it. They pegged my Nokia 6.1 and Huawei P30 lite as not being compatible, but I'm pretty sure they should handle it fine. I can play with the Nokia but the Huawei is with someone very far away.

My phone is ATT branded and HD calling or whatever works with it. I was just saying that the article implies that this is a legitimate problem for some people.