Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Finally, I've come to regret living in a city with no wal-marts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Unless I missed something in 150 hours, the farm in 4 is exactly the same as the farm in 3 except you don't have to go off to a different screen to get to it. Which I guess you didn't need to in 3U either because you could talk to that cat. The categories are the same, the fertilizers are slightly different, and it levels up just by you using it X times at each level.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm kind of surprised that WalMart broke street date; I know you can get in trouble about that with publishers.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

In light of this page's context, maybe you should git gud and not need so many potions. :v:
I said I had 150 hours, I didn't say how far I got...

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm kind of surprised that WalMart broke street date; I know you can get in trouble about that with publishers.

It's WalMart, I doubt they give a gently caress.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there any additional effort required for registering/transferring a game that comes preloaded on the system e.g. if I get a MH4U n3DS?

edit: Nevermind I'm just going to get a bigger SD card and play it on my 3DS for now.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 10, 2015

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
I'm going to go check my local Walmart and also eat at the In N Out right next to it. I'll report back on whether I got the game and my burger.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Unless I missed something in 150 hours, the farm in 4 is exactly the same as the farm in 3 except you don't have to go off to a different screen to get to it. Which I guess you didn't need to in 3U either because you could talk to that cat. The categories are the same, the fertilizers are slightly different, and it levels up just by you using it X times at each level.

Wait what cat is this?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
New thread should be up sometime tomorrow

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Tender Bender posted:

Wait what cat is this?
There's that cat in the Marina that lets you do your farm without leaving your multiplayer game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Boco_T posted:

There's that cat in the Marina that lets you do your farm without leaving your multiplayer game.

He just lets you pull stuff though, doesn't he? I didn't think you could plant stuff through him.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Evil Mastermind posted:

He just lets you pull stuff though, doesn't he? I didn't think you could plant stuff through him.

You could have him plant stuff. You also could send out your boats and stuff through him.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gigawhite posted:

You could have him plant stuff. You also could send out your boats and stuff through him.

Huh, I never knew that. But then again I barely did any MP. That'll be changing in a few days, though! :buddy:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just went to my local Walmart and they're not selling it yet.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Apparently some Wal-Marts are already selling the game. Go forth and hunt

Trying to resist the urge to fake being sick and spend the day hunting for some monhun.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mcpringles posted:

Trying to resist the urge to fake being sick and spend the day hunting for some monhun.

All I gotta say is

thanks George Washington

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
My copy's not getting here till the 18th

:negative:

vvvv- I got it from walmart because I had an old gift card with a little left on it to knock the price down a bit.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pyronic posted:

My copy's not getting here till the 18th

:negative:

Did you order through Amazon? If so do what I did and complain.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

People say Monster Hunter is hard but I don't think it is. It might be hard getting into it because you have to learn what everything does pretty much on your own, but once you understand how it works the gameplay itself isn't difficult. I've only played 3U and haven't reached G rank, which must be hard I guess, but even if you just played low rank you can have fun and get plenty of hours out of the game. I've done most of the village quests and even if some monsters killed me once or twice, I've never failed a quest by dying three times (I've failed some of the capture ones by killing the monster). And I'm not very good at games that require skill.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you make an effort to really understand what the game is about, even if it might be challenging, it's not really that hard.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DoctorX posted:

People say Monster Hunter is hard but I don't think it is. It might be hard getting into it because you have to learn what everything does pretty much on your own, but once you understand how it works the gameplay itself isn't difficult. I've only played 3U and haven't reached G rank, which must be hard I guess, but even if you just played low rank you can have fun and get plenty of hours out of the game. I've done most of the village quests and even if some monsters killed me once or twice, I've never failed a quest by dying three times (I've failed some of the capture ones by killing the monster). And I'm not very good at games that require skill.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as you make an effort to really understand what the game is about, even if it might be challenging, it's not really that hard.

I think you are right but I also think the barrier to entry to getting into that game is pretty time consuming. Its the same thing with League of Legends or Dota 2, a lot of people don't want to put so much time into learning the mechanics of a game. But yes I don't think its that hard either.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

What I mean is that if you don't craft potions, choose your equipment carefully, eat meat and that kind of stuff, of course you're going to die a lot. But not because the game is hard, but because you're not playing it right.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Can somebody explain the expedition system? I'm reading it's the only way to access G140 quests, you can only save up to ten at a time, your progress resets if you discard one of them?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can somebody explain the expedition system? I'm reading it's the only way to access G140 quests, you can only save up to ten at a time, your progress resets if you discard one of them?

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/79867693361/mh4-understanding-guild-quests

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Oh I always thought the 140 part corresponded to your HR, not the level of the guild quest. Also the breakpoints in that post don't appear to correspond to the ones here, did they change them in 4U?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What time will this become available for DL on Friday? Not sure if I should bring my 3DS to work or not, since it'll probably take forever to DL again.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It's gonna release at midnight, eastern time.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

rhoga posted:

It's gonna release at midnight, eastern time.
The midnight between Thursday and Friday? Too bad I have a meeting early on Friday.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to be grabbing my stuff around lunch on Friday; hopefully I can at least get a new 3DS (I didn't preorder), and if worst comes to worst I'll just download MH and Majora's Mask.

e: I'm working from home Friday; of course I will be glued to my laptop all day. :getin:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Is it launching on the EU eshop at the same time as the US one?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh I always thought the 140 part corresponded to your HR, not the level of the guild quest. Also the breakpoints in that post don't appear to correspond to the ones here, did they change them in 4U?

They capped out at 100 in mh4 so I guess they adjusted the scale when they increased it to 140.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rage McDougal posted:

You literally just have to look back one page to see goons mocking a guy for not being good enough at Monster Hunter.
This is from a quite a ways back, but it is all context. The guy is complaining about things he doesn't understand, and that is reasonable, you mentioned a lot of people don't want to spend literally dozens of hours to figure things out. The problem is, this guy wraps up the review with:

quote:

Nothing in the game holds your hand, which I really appreciate.
He's demonstrating that sort of self righteous "I'm better than this" attitude that is typical of gamers. They pretend they want to interact, but when a game asks them to actually be a participant, rather than a passenger, they'll tend to be resistant. This is important, because most of us had the same experience, which is why we're poking fun at the guy; we've been there.

First, we struggle and bitch and moan while we're suffering through solo hunts as an utterly virgin audience. Arguing "this is slow", or "when do I get to fight something". Next we cry about the potion flex, or insist the controls are too stiff, the monsters have too much health, etc. At some point a lot of us get online and have a blast. Finally, we come back to those hunts solo and realize everything we were doing wrong was our fault, and there was absolutely no practical way for the game to explain everything we have learned in the mean time. That reviewer's experience mirrors our own. Just look at how he talks about the online. He is consciously aware of how the game works, and any moment the game is going to 'click' for him. He is hooked for life, but he doesn't even realize it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
For anybody (in the US) interested in the physical Collector's Edition who missed out on its earlier availability, it appears to be back in stock on Amazon.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

DoctorX posted:

Sure, I agree to an extent. But G-rank solo is absolutely hard even in 3u and by all accounts 4u is significantly more difficult. Particularly the level 140 guild quests, where monsters move almost twice as fast as in low rank and are perfectly capable of one-shotting you.

I don't want to be all "well you didn't even get to g-rank" because I'm all about having fun with games however you want. However I think you do have to keep in mind that a good 50% of the game occurs at g-rank and it is significantly more difficult than low rank.

the Gaffe posted:

I'm going to go check my local Walmart and also eat at the In N Out right next to it. I'll report back on whether I got the game and my burger.

San Leandro?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Sure, I agree to an extent. But G-rank solo is absolutely hard even in 3u and by all accounts 4u is significantly more difficult. Particularly the level 140 guild quests, where monsters move almost twice as fast as in low rank and are perfectly capable of one-shotting you.

I don't want to be all "well you didn't even get to g-rank" because I'm all about having fun with games however you want. However I think you do have to keep in mind that a good 50% of the game occurs at g-rank and it is significantly more difficult than low rank.

I know, but you can play a lot and have a lot of fun without ever getting there. I have, for like 200 hours. When someone doesn't like the game "because it's too hard" I doubt they're talking about G-rank, because you don't get there unless you really know what you're doing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

To be fair lvl 140 guild quests are content for one percent-er obsessive megafans. If you can even unlock a level 140 quest you probably both know what you're doing and will be able to handle it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair lvl 140 guild quests are content for one percent-er obsessive megafans. If you can even unlock a level 140 quest you probably both know what you're doing and will be able to handle it.

Yeah, I don't even think most players will really get or play much G-rank. It's pretty fair to gauge the difficulty of the series excluding the absolute top end quests.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

AttackBacon posted:

San Leandro?

...Yes :( also they didn't have it. They barely had much for a 3DS selection evidently.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kiggles posted:

Yeah, I don't even think most players will really get or play much G-rank. It's pretty fair to gauge the difficulty of the series excluding the absolute top end quests.

I got to G-rank solo in 3U and I'm not particularly good at this game. So I doubt that "most players" won't get to G-rank because "most players" are probably invested in this series as it is.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Apparently some Wal-Marts are already selling the game. Go forth and hunt

Called my local Wal-Mart, they don't even have it yet so there's nothing for them to break street date with. :(

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
If EB games breaks street date and doesn't SMS me I'm going to be so mad on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
With 4U having online I think it'd be only the very odd player who'd say "oh, no, I'm fine just hanging out here with high rank quests, gear and weapons, no need to advance further". It's not like they brought Tri style HR grind bullshit back as a barrier to entry.

Even with 3U, in terms of the 3DS and no WiiU playerbase, I feel like the question was less "how many people felt g-rank was too hard" and more "how long did they own the game before they decided to set it as a goal for themselves". Some people likely never went to port and didn't know g-rank was even a thing, but of the people who knew about it and played long enough to even have the chance to try it I doubt a significant portion gave up on the idea permanently--the pattern I saw more often was people coming back at it after owning the game/setting it aside for years.

If you played/liked a monster hunter game long enough to be in a position to seriously consider g-rank as a thing, you'll probably get to it eventually, even solo. It's not like it's especially different from the rest of the game and thus it might take time to adapt/grow accustomed to/stomach it but it'll happen eventually.

• Locked thread