Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:siren::siren: MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE CONFIRMED FOR WESTERN RELEASE 2015 :siren::siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o-5ZKoUKxw

Hunting Monsters: Something Capcom keeps forgetting some people outside of Japan like to do

The Tri Expansion finally hits western shores over a year later. Features online play or portable play! (You have to pay full price for both though)

Join us on IRC! #monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net

:siren: Join the IRC/PM or IM one another if you want to organize games, please stop posting your PSN/Friend Codes/(A/S/L) in the thread in a vain attempt at organizing a group to play with, it's spammy and doesn't really do much!! :siren:

Monster Hunter is an Action-RPG series developed and published by Capcom. The aim of the game is to hunt the biggest and most dangerous game, so that you can make ridiculous equipment out of it and take on even scarier creatures. You can play alone or with up to 3 other manly men or busty babes. Worried village elders or the esoteric Hunter's Guild will send you out on dangerous missions, with little in way apart from what you bring yourself, to kill these incredible beasts.

Often equated to the Phantasy Star Online series, this game really only shares the 4-player action game aspect. There are no levels or other such nonsense. A high-ranked player survives largely on skill alone, and the difference between newbie and high-level armor is the ability to soak up maybe 2-3 extra hits before dying. Also, you can get hurled off of a mountain and not take any falling damage, which is pretty hilarious to watch.

• There are no 'levels' in Monster Hunter. You unlock additional content by "ranking up" by completing specific missions, which are generally increasingly more difficult hunts.
  • Hunting a monster is not limited to just killing it dead, you can also capture it when it is weak by using a trap and tranquilizers. This will usually result in even more parts obtained.
  • Equipment is crafted by using monster parts that you gather by hunting them or finding them in the field.
  • Increasing your Defense is done by making higher rank armors, however this will not stop you from dying often against the later monsters.
  • Armor Skills. Each piece of armor has a few points of specific skills, once you get enough points from your armor, they will activate. These are the real tools of the hunt. They vary from anything simple like "attack up" to incredibly useful utilities like "auto tracker" or "speed sharpening".
  • There are 12 different weapons (8 in Tri) to utilize. All of the melee weapons have a "sharpness" rating, which degrades as you use it. It must be restored by stopping to sharpen the weapon. Ranged weapons use ammunition.
  • There is a kitchen (every game that isn't mhp3) or a spa (mhp3) for use. Combining certain foods/drinks will result in different buffs that will carry over into the missions. You can also acquire specific skills through this method that you usually couldn't otherwise (such as a skill that causes bombs to get bigger, or a skill that makes you able to fall from infinite height and not flinch).
  • Missions are timed. The general limit is 50 minutes, however special instances have a shorter limit. If you don't complete your objective in this time, you fail.
  • You have limited lives. If you die 3 times, you fail the mission. In very special instances, you are only allowed a single death.

First Generation:

Monster Hunter
The original game, for PS2. Attacks were controlled with the second analog stick, camera movement with the d-pad, and one of those few games with online play (probably the best on the console).
NA release date: September 2004
PAL release date: May 2005

Monster Hunter Freedom
The PSP port of the original game's JP-only "expansion", for hunting on the go! Features local ad-hoc multiplayer and everything the original had.
NA/PAL release date: May 2006

Second Generation:

Monster Hunter Dos
The sequel to the original, never released outside of Japan. The maps were redone, more online quests added, and a boatload of new monsters introduced to the series.
JP release date: Feburary 2006

Monster Hunter Freedom 2
The PSP port of the second game, because it's a much better game than the first was. However, it's been rendered obsolete by its sequel...
NA release date: August 2007
PAL release date: September 2007

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (Original Thread)
The "compilation" game of Gen 2, just how Ultimate is the Gen 3 compilation. Features all of the monsters up until that point plus several new additions, totaling a massive 57 boss creatures to hunt. If you want to get into the series and have a PSP, this is the title to invest in.
NA/PAL release date: June 2009

Current Generation:

Monster Hunter Tri (Original Thread)
The console reboot of the series. Much of the content has been shaved down or redone entirely. Features far fewer boss monsters and equipment, but looks gorgeous. The game's online servers have been taken down as of Ultimate's release, so High Rank content and the online bosses are no longer accessible.
NA/PAL release date: April 2010

(Original Thread)
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
The 3rd gen PSP/PS3 title, continues where Tri left off by once again retooling how various weapons function and introducing new monsters. If you're not satisfied between Unite and Tri, this is the next stop. Check the original thread for fan translation links and other assorted info.
JP release date (PSP): December 2010
JP release date (PS3): August 2011

/
:siren: Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate :siren:
Just like Freedom Unite, this is where 3rd Gen will make its final stop, with every monster ever made for 3rd Gen being included plus some extras. 50 total bosses are to be found in this installment. The WiiU version can be played directly online and the 3DS version supports either local play or tunneled online play via a WiiU Console.
JP release date (3DS): December 2011
JP release date (WiiU): December 2012
NA/PAL release date (Both): March 2013

Other:

Monster Hunter Frontier
The PC MMO of the series. Currently only running in various asian countries (Taiwan, Japan, Korea), it features huge lobbies, a pseudo-leveling system, ludicrous amounts of gear, new maps, and its own set of exclusive beasts (on top of everything that isn't exclusive to MHFU/3rd Generation), totaling at well over 60 different boss monsters to hunt. Play long enough and you'll gain access to completely redone versions of many of the boss monsters, shooting the unique hunt count to over 100. Hangame has forfeited the contract to publish the game in Korea, so it is closed down. That means if you want to play the MMO, you're going to have to pay to play either the Chinese or Japanese version. The amount of grinding makes this game a joke despite the huge content well. Not recommended, even if you can actually gain access and pay for it.

Hey guys: If I like games like PSO, will I enjoy the MH series?
It depends, whilst MH is often likened to PSO, the resemblance is really only structural. The actual gameplay is quite different, so it's best to try things out for your self. Rental outlets still exist, right?

HOW DO I MOVE THE CAMERA WHILE ALSO MOVING MY DUDE?! :byodood:
With THE CLAW, my friend.

So, none of my friends own a PSP/Monster Hunter (and are giant chumps), how do I play with other people?
You will either require a PS3 with a wired [ethernet] connection, or a specific sort of router/wifi card/dongle. If you have the former, look up Ad-Hoc Party. If you do not, you will require the latter and a program called Xlink-Kai. Once you do, you will need to figure out how to set it up. I (mostly) know how to handle both setups, so if you have any questions join the IRC (#monsterhunter @ irc.synirc.net). The Unite OP has a little more information on Kai, but it'll be archived sooner or later. If you have a CFW-enabled PSP (or just want to skip out on the adapter mess), you can use an alternative method (if this link dies, the plugin is called "Adhoc2USB" or "Adhoc to USB" [also note that the link is for a GEN/Prometheus build of A2U, if you are on PRO CFW you will need to search the homebrew thread for the updated version]) that only requires a USB cable! If you don't have a CFW-enabled PSP, check out the homebrew thread.

Can I play with people from different regions in Ultimate's online?
Yes! The game will support cross-region online play.

Where do I find X in Monster Hunter Y?
If you're playing Unite, check here or here.
If you're playing Tri, check here.
If you're playing Portable 3rd, check here.
If you're playing Tri Ultimate, check here.

Do I kill it, or capture it?
A timeless question. 90% of the time, the answer is "unless you can only get it from carving, you should capture the monster". Capturing results in more rewards overall and generally takes less time.

Which weapon is the best?
They're all good in their own regard! Pick your favorite.

For other questions about the games, try one of these:

Monster Hunter Wikia

Minegarde
(Great FAQs in their forums)

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate

It's about time we got a new Monster Hunter. This game is Tri, only way better. This is worth buying a WiiU for, trust me.

New to Ultimate:
  • A bunch of new monsters! There's bears, armordillos, giant sand fish (with stupid names), and a bunch of different colored versions of the monsters you had already come to know and love hate.
  • Returning elements! There are some monsters from the older games that have been brought back, as well as all of the weapons that Tri had previously dropped.
  • Some new areas! Also, the old areas have been revised to suit the gameplay.
  • G-Rank, a rank beyond High.
  • Free Hunting has been expanded to include High Rank monsters during the night time.
  • The new flagship monster has introduced a new element: Slime. This is basically a bomb coating, after enough hits there is a small explosion at the strike point.
  • Cha-Cha has a buddy now. Yay?
  • Way too many things to keep listing.

:siren: MOTHER loving CHARM TABLES :siren:

So here's the deal. In Ultimate, the kinds of charms you have access to are based upon a table that you are assigned upon character generation. This is super important, because there are several tables which are hosed and have worthless garbage, and a couple are even so bad as to not have access to rustshards. Do NOT gently caress around with this, even if you have no idea what I'm talking about, at the very least avoid the ones without rustshards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIIJ9PkXRik
WATCH THIS poo poo READ THE DESCRIPTION ON THE YOUTUBE PAGE YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO gently caress AROUND WITH THIS

:siren: THE TABLES TO ABSOLUTELY AVOID ARE 12 AND 16! THESE DO NOT HAVE RUSTSHARDS!! :siren:

Cursed tables (lovely charm pools): 11, 12, 15, 16, 17

Best Tables: 10 is the very best, 3 would be the second best "general" table.

Link to an application with all possible charm combinations listed.

How to manipulate your Table:
  • Disable your internet/router/wifi settings.
  • Set your time/date to January 21, 2012.
  • Get a stopwatch/timer ready, set it for 2 minutes plus however many seconds (see next step).
  • Determine what table you want with the list above, and then set your system clock to 2 minutes before the appropriate time listed below (24 hour clock, so 00:10 is 12:10 AM, etc):
    code:
    HH:MM:SS
    T1 00:14:11~13
    T2 02:14:39~42
    T3 00:11:28~30
    T4 00:05:47~49
    T5 00:56:43~45
    T6 00:42:17~20
    T7 01:43:58~01
    T8 09:25:48~51
    T9 07:09:58~01
    T10 00:14:43~45
    T13 00:07:46~48
    T14 00:17:02~05

• Start the timer
  • Boot the game up
  • Hover over the "NEW GAME" option
  • As soon as time is up, confirm the selection
You should be good to go, play along until you can send out the woman for fishing hauls and check your results with this.

Does this game even have a manual?
Press the home button before launching the game properly to access it on 3DS/WiiU.

General Mechanics Quick-Reference
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=414186763

Which quests do I need to do to unlock more quests?
Check for the starred quests on the pages here.

Is there some way to increase my health/stamina?
Before each mission, either talk to the cat chef in the village or when online, or have a seat at the lunch tables when online.

Where the gently caress are all of the mining/bug spots?
Check this out.

What are the hunting horn songs?
Check here.

Does it support cross-region play? [REQUIRES APRIL 2013 PATCH]
Yep! After the patch on April 16, you can play with people with different regions when online. U br?

Can I play it on the WiiU gamepad? [REQUIRES APRIL 2013 PATCH]
Sure can! Once the game has patched on April 16.

How do I play online with my 3DS?
You need to own a WiiU console. [more information to come]

How do I transfer my save file from WiiU to 3DS and back?
[someone help i have no idea]

How do I make the text not look like poo poo in the 3DS version?
Either play with 3D enabled, or go through the options menu in-game and disable 3D entirely.

What do I do with "VE Tickets"?
You trade them to the little old red dude who you can find waddling around in every map. Check the list here.

I just got to G-Rank and everything is killing me dead, what do I do?!
get good scrub.
You can start by either farming up Goldbeard Set (conqueror seals can be obtained easily from the Jaggi+Volvidon mission)

OR

Shepard also has made this thing that will help make it easier for you without goldbeard, but it's still not really as easy as mindlessly farming goldbeard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-sd6iD3DkQ

Gem/Mantle drop rates suck! What do I do?
Do these missions: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/66027135

How do I unlock the other G-rank subspecies?
  • Gold/Silver Raths - HR8
  • Lucent Nargacuga - HR40
  • Abyssal Lagiacrus - HR70
  • Hallow Jhen Mohran - Capture at least 1 of every normal/sub/rare species, excluding Elder Dragons and Abyssal Lagiacrus, and clear Alatreon [Unlocked by completing every Village Quest] in single player.

Where is that program that makes armor sets for me?
Athena's rear end or MHAG

Charm Farming is boooorrrring!
Yeah, it is. Not much you can do about it. If you're a super sperg, this post could help.

12 weapon types in all for you to mess around with. There generally isn't a "best" style, so check out the videos (coming soon) and see which you prefer!

Sword and Shield

Mostly unchanged from Tri, this small weapon may look like it's weak (and to be honest, they are), but it makes up for it with near unmatched speed as well as the ability to both block and use items with the weapon drawn. Best utilized as a means of dealing heavy amounts of elemental or status damage.

Dual Swords

We missed these guys in Tri. However, they have been completely reworked. Dual Swords are now better than ever, with a set of new dodges and attacks that aren't "spin around in stupid circles" when not demonizing. This weapon is all about ridiculous offense. You sacrifice any sort of defense and regular evasion techniques to go balls-to-the-wall with these. Easily the fastest weapon, on top of a large amount of multi-hit combos and a special power called 'demon dance' (or 'demonize') that gives you even crazier (and far more powerful) combos, this weapon is all about finding an in and never giving the monster any peace. Using the demon dance with these puppies causes a new spirit gauge to build up, and as long as there is energy stored, all of your un-demonized attacks deal extra damage!

Long Sword

Unchanged from Tri, the long sword is exactly what it sounds like. Has the mobility of the Sword and Shield with the range of the Great Sword. Hitting a monster with it causes your spirit gauge to fill, which can be unleashed in a flurry of attacks with increased power. Everybody will hate you if you use this weapon poorly as your spamfest causes everybody else to trip constantly. Ultimate has made the spirit gauge less stupid.

Great Sword

Still the big powerhouse of the complete arsenal. Big, slow, and incredibly powerful. A giant sword that you can combo your swings with until your arms fall off, or use as a body-sized shield against oncoming attacks at the cost of your sword's durability. They remain mostly unchanged from Tri, including the various slaps that would cause knock-out damage against monsters that would execute mid-combo. Not a simple weapon by any means, not recommended for beginners to the game.

Switch Axe

Unchanged from Tri, the switch axe is like an amalgamation of the best traits from all of the high-damage weapons. You have great sword-esque attack power, long sword-esque attack speed, a pseudo-wyvern fire function ala gunlance, the side-stepping dodges of a lance, and the rolls of regular weapons in addition to quicker recovery from heavy attacks. Like the gunlance, this weapon is difficult to master but manages to look incredibly stylish when used properly.

Lance

Holding closer to the Unite style of combat with only a few of Tri's improvements, Lance still remains the best class for avoiding damage of any kind. You can hardly move when wielding the weapon, but most anything can be blocked head-on and much better than with a Sword and Shield or Great Sword. On top of this heavily defense-oriented fight style, Lances also have the advantage of being able to break monster parts that require impact damage or cut off tails and anything else that requires cutting damage.

Gunlance

A returning celebrity from Unite, Gunlances have been heavily changed. Normal attacks and functions are near identical to lance, with stabs and blocks (no guard advance though), however they are much more offense-oriented than the lance. The aim of the game is to stay in the monster's face and lay on the hurt with your arsenal of combos and gunfire. Most all of the traditional attacks they had (running stabs, guarding stabs, gun fire) are back, including the infamous Wyvern Fire function that bowguns were given in Tri. On top of all of the old attacks, Gunlances are capable of some new tricks. If you attack with a normal lateral 3-hit combo, the third attack will instead be the hunter slamming the entire gunlance down, causing impact and knock-out damage. If you decide to fire your gunlance after this combo, you will spray out the entire load of chambered shots in shotgun-fashion. On top of that, the weapon also allows you to fire the non stop and quick-reload after each shot fired.

Hammer

Nearly unchanged from Tri, Hammer is the king of knock outs and heavy impact damage. You move slightly slower with it wielded and don't have much for closing range (however, a new attack allows you to slide forward a great distance when you've partially charged the hammer), but you do crazy amounts of damage and if done right, the monster will spend half of the fight dizzy because you kept hitting it in the face. Ultimate has made it so all hits deal KO damage.

Hunting Horn

Hunting Horn is the main 'support' weapon, allowing you to buff your party with various effects depending on what the horn is. Moderately fast attacks allow you to rack up the damage and allow you to store music notes to play out at any time in the middle of combat to quickly buff yourself and party. Hunting Horn buffs allow you and your party to do many things otherwise not usually possible, such as moving at top speed while wielding it, being able to hit monsters and not bounce off if your sharpness is too low, having roar/earthquake/damage resistance, increased attack, and other widely-applicable effects.

Light & Heavy Bowguns

Returning in their old-style fashion of being premade guns that chamber specific numbers of specific shots, they keep their other Tri improvements such as dodges and new shot types (wyvernfire, slicing, exhaust).
Light Bowguns are more evade-oriented, focusing on firing rapidfire volleys of bullets without being hit. The new LBG feature being able to change out the rapid fire function for the ability to reload all of your ammo types at once.
Heavy Bowguns are cannon-esque, especially with a new function that allows the user to kneel down and never have to reload. Heavy Bowguns can be equipped with shields that allow them to tank hits from certain attacks without needing to try and dodge with the reduced movespeed.

Bow & Arrows

A returning weapon from the older days, the bow has had some upgrades applied. Arrows can be fired from a fair distance normally, however, now bow users can fire from even longer distances by shooting straight up and having the arrows rain down on the target like that scene from 300. On top of the new attacks, bows have also received a couple of new coatings such as Exhaust coating (causes monster stamina to drain faster) and Blast coating (bomb arrows!)

A giant picture with almost all of the monsters from Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (click for big)

A giant picture with nearly all of the monster from Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate (open in new tab for big)

Some Monsters of the 1st & 2nd Generations:

Yian Kut-Ku

Khezu

Shogun Ceanataur

Congalala

Lavasioth

Kirin

Kushala Daora

A few monsters from 3rd generation:

Gobul

Barioth

Uragaan

Deviljho (EVIL JOE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI75zyCLCG0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPr-9ahXgCI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LSUxpDLkMM

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2014

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

So let me get this straight. If I am going to shoot for charm table 10 (T10 00:14:43~45) then I need to set my system clock to 12:12am and then immediately upon saving those system clock settings I need to start a stop watch (assume the watch starts at zero and goes up). From there, I fire up the game and wait at the New Game prompt until my stop watch hits 2 minutes and 43-45 seconds. That is when I select New Game?.

Yes. Remember that your system date also needs to be 1/21/2012 for this.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

One of the monsters from Tri (and by proxy, Tri U), is Qurupeco. It's a big goofy bird with the ability to mimic monster cries, and in so doing, summon additional bosses to wreck your poo poo.

This post is an excuse to post a drawing about it.

This is a good image.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Arthe Xavier posted:

I don't... I'm at a loss for words.

I'm not.

ORDER NOW!!!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

To whoever is asking about routing game sounds through the gamepad entirely: Yes, you can do this. It's in the options when you are in game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Riftling posted:

What's a good earlyish armor set for the bow? I've been using the gunlance a lot and want to make a gunner set, but most of these early armor sets look like they're mroe for the bowgun than the bow. Right now if I can't find anything else I was planning on making a Lagombi set for the evade distance. I just hit the volcano in single player - are there any sets in near reach that'd be better?

Barroth (gem out hunger), Lagiacrus (gem out status), Rathalos (gem out recovery) are all relatively easily obtained and very usable early game bow sets.

The reason everybody here finds Single Player/Low Rank so easy is because this game is designed was designed as an expansion to Tri. The team realizes many of the people playing Ultimate already played Tri, so the people playing Tri want to max out their farm/clear the single player content/reach HR to prepare for G-Rank as fast as humanly possible. The devs also realize there are new players though, which is why low rank and such exist at all.

Please stop worrying about difficulty, it becomes much harder and once you hit G-Rank it will require a huge time + skill investment to solo things until you get a few pieces of G-Rank equipment.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

With the GamePad having a microphone and all, is it actually usable without wearing headphones? I know if I try that on PC with a desktop mic I hear no end of complaints about game sound coming through (with good reason of course)

Eh. I hate people who don't use headphones with the gamepad because then I can hear myself, which is arguably worse than game sounds. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bugamol posted:

Two quick gunlance questions:

1. Do elemental gunlances shoot elemental bullets?
2. Is it better to focus on raw damage or elemental damage with gunlances?

No
Raw

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Serenity Dove posted:

I know people have mentioned that this sort of thing has been in the game before but not so overly obvious to check or fix. Does that mean in previous games some people might have just been locked out of rust shards and would never know?

Charm Tables are new to Ultimate, P3 (the previous game with tables) didn't have horribly awful broken ones without rustshards.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, where and how do I appraise my Rustshards?

Rewards screen, it happens automatically.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

limbohead posted:

The only thing that I'm kinda let down by is that each monster doesn't have their own theme. I really missed that and it added a lot to each battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=invsEETiitg

Please, Kushala has nothing on Chameleos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8gtlxSw7yM

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Have we agreed on how goon meetups are gonna work and stuff, or do we have an IRC channel?

I even made a bigass header image. I hate you, with every fiber of my being. :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Came here from the other thread, thought it would be a similar OP. I'm so sorry.

I'll be sure to get on the IRC and hunt with some goons.

The other thread had a frogsiren instead of a header, but IRC was still at the top. :geno:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Is there a way to know what the Shakalaka kids have gathered beyond returning to town? Last night I spent an entire gathering trip trying to find a King Scarab, only to learn that Cha-Cha had found three.

Nope, you have to check-in after every mission.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

Been reading the thread and, uhh, do people really sell their old armor sets? You don't keep them so that when you're a master hunter you can look back and see all the armor you made on your journey? That's so weird.

That sounds like something I would have done my first time through an MH game (it was, and my first time was Frontier so it was a pretty long list of random things since I had no idea how the game worked and it was in Korean :v: ) but now I know exactly what I'm making before I make it and I know why I made it, and generally there is no use in clogging the equip screen with old LR equipment because unlike Frontier, armors don't upgrade directly, you just make new sets.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I was just looking up a quest on Youtube and ended up with a video from Tri on Wii and the water looks way better there than it does for the Wii U game.
I guess some of the graphics got simplified for portables, then up-resed for Wii U. That's a bit of a bummer.

This is how they handled the "HD" port of the PSP game as well :laugh:

LemonAIDS posted:

Are Rathian/Rathalos rubies still really rare? First pink Rathian capture I did and I just got 2 Rathian rubies. That's completely unheard of in my experience.

3rd gen has always had relatively high plate/gem appearance rates. I'm not far enough in to say if Heavenlies are just as common though.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly think monsters should just do something definitive when they're capture-able. I mean they're supposed to anyhow (drag themselves), but sometimes they are randomly assholes and never show you this animation, even when they zone.

90% of the time I have no problem capping but these instances happen where I won't attack them for several minutes in fear I've hit em too much, they zone just fine, I start wailing on them again and bam they're dead.

This was a big thing from 2nd gen that was just completely removed. More than half of the monsters had very obvious capture-tells, and the lack of this detail remains one of the only things about 3rd gen that makes me rather angry about it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

edit: Now that I start to think about it, I seem to recall kutku putting his ears back, also, so I guess that is a mechanic and I'd just forgotten about it. Either way though, it's still there for at least one monster.

Kutku/Garuga pull back their ears, Blango cheeks grow pale, Khezu stands rigid for ~7 seconds, Shogun/Daimyo froth blood, Gypceros plays dead more often, Diablos/Monoblos rage on hit (though this one is still present in 3rd gen), Hypnoc's tail feathers lower, Plesioth and Lavasioth lose their auras (and Plesioth's top fin folds back [also applies to Cephadrome]), the Preydromes would all instantly leave an area if you damaged them while they were weak.

There were a ton of these dude, you played frontier for loving months how do you not know about these

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

You have to make the mask for underwater breathing like the text in the game told you to.

What are you talking about? He's talking about powderstone delivery and trying to avoid Uragaan.

Use the Felyne Lander food buff, Count. Then you can jump from the top to the bottom.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

This is the part I'm talking about. He's trying to do the quest to move on with the story, when its not a quest to move on.

Yes it is? He's right before Kayamba, you have to do the powderstone quest to progress. This isn't Tri.

e: i guess you can do either? I didn't have to capture lagi to get Shaka Savior 2 to come up

Funkmaster General posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about WRT auras because neither of those monsters have auras to begin with

Are you sure you played Frontier?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

quote != edit

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Slime is a status, right? Is there a particular reason it isn't triggering my Status +2 skill?

Or is it an Element and I'm just dumb?

Slime will not proc more often with status or element up, all you can do is make the explosions do more damage with bombadier.

To make slime stack faster, focus on the "armored" parts of a monster (basically if you would bounce on it). Those are specifically coded to receive 2x slime.

I added a video from SD to the OP, if you are just moving into G-Rank and are too lazy to farm Goldbeard for the set for sharp+1, you can make SD's weird little mishmash set out of the first set of basic monsters for it instead.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Falcon2001 posted:

So note to everyone: the Diablos low-rank set is great. Do NOT bother crafting it. It requires one of the few really bullshit low-rank drops, the Majestic horn, whichi s an 8% chance off a break of his horn. I just got mine, and it took me literally 19 kills to get it. Fuuuuuuuuck.

It took me 24 for mine. It's a great set but yeah, seriously not worth the effort.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RADmadness posted:

To anyone who bought a WiiU recently: did you still have to install that massive firmware update?

Yep, bought mine on release date and had to do the 2 hour update or whatever. It's likely only going to get worse with the one coming up next week.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not buying the stuff that's the problem, it's just that I have to take that extra step to dig through my chest and get paintballs, potions, etc. It's like mega potions not being on sale, it's just forcing me keep generating honey and keep tabs on my farms.

I don't think you "get" Monster Hunter. This is the essence of the game. It's not hard to make your supplies, you should have been upgrading and using your farm this entire time.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Brett824 posted:

I've been playing Monster Hunter for quite a while at this point, but I wasn't aware farm micromanagement was the essence that kept me playing.

Look at this man who hasn't experienced the magic of the 10-meat BBQ Spit

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So is anyone HR30+? I'm looking to grind out HR40 so I can start hunting Lucent Narga. Join the IRC!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Unite is only 1 gen back (2nd gen, as opposed to the current 3rd), but it's absolutely a better starting point if only because that game itself will last for weeks/months and that way you wont hate yourself if you go back from 3rd gen to 2nd gen.

It will also make 3rd Gen seem hilariously easy in comparison. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

What are the odds of getting 'new' monsters in as DLC? Because I want Lavasioth back! His big, dopey head turns were the best! :3:

Zero. We're finally at a generation where this -is- possible, but Capcom is never going to do it because it would defeat the purpose of releasing games like Unite or Ultimate.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

scissorman posted:

Can you buy the BradyGames guide from outside the USA?
I want a better source than the Monster Hunter wiki and it seems that the eGuide is the best solution.

The Brady guide is so much worse than the wikis. Don't bother.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

A lot of the info is flat out wrong/missing. If you're that desperate, ask in the IRC.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Sorry being dumb, but what does that mean? I... have a vague idea what streetpass is, in that you have to pass people on the street with your game on, and wifi on. Is that right?

How do I streetpass myself for those crickets?

Sorry if that's dumb, never used the feature before on my 3DS.

What he's saying is you're hosed because you need a live human being within shouting distance who also owns the game to exist near you and also be street passing for any length of time.

Get the WiiU version.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Carecat posted:

When you are stunned or mud/ice covered does it matter what buttons you tap or does it only want the attacks, X and A?

Mario Party the control stick.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Challenger+2 is better than both attack up large and affinity, because it's both. :smug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only reason I am considering giving it a second try is because in the repel spoils, I got a deep dragon gem. This loving game. That was the least fun I've ever had doing anything.

Welcome to Ceadeus.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

TalonDemonKing posted:

On Gloves off chat; I know it's like 180 damage over 5 minutes (Which isn't that hard), but isn't it something crazy like 40% affinity and a damage boost? That's a serious chunk for the investment of a couple of mega potions.

The issue is the duration is almost negligible. 2-3 minutes, as opposed to other skills which are permanent or just last longer in general.

RE: Traps, everybody complaining about them needs to keep in mind that you can easily do 25% or more of a monster's life with a single well-placed trap. There is a reason things like traps become less than half as effective upon re-deployment, and why effects like Paralysis and Sleep require twice as many applications or more to proc multiple times.
Having more than slight difficulty trapping monsters means you are not properly acquainted with a/the monster's behavior yet, or you are not effectively corralling your Shakas in single player. If you're having problems online, bring a Field Horn. This will act as a taunt to the monster and also as a signal to pubbies.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 11, 2013

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do monsters in online quests have more health? I just solo'd the Peco quest and it felt like it took a lot longer than normal.

Yes, usually between 3-4 times as much.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

It's simply another expansion, it's just their biggest one so far. They do box releases for the 360 version because it's cheaper than putting out patches on M$'s servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

crazkylo posted:

Quick question in regards to charm tables. Is it decided the moment you hit "New Game" Or is it determined once you are done character creation and in game?

The moment you hit "New Game".

• Locked thread