Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

See I never even really used them to end a quest early. I just liked the concept of "while you're out there, also do these things for extra rewards." Especially when the subquests were things likely to happen naturally over the course of the quest anyway, and double especially for quests to break/cut monster parts. It was really nice to go in to a quest where I needed to hunt a monster, cut off its tail, get carves from the tail, capture it, and end up with three tails - one from the carve, one from the cap and one from the subquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Silento posted:

I plan on getting a Wii U next week partly because I'm interested in trying out Monster Hunter, is there anything a first-timer to the series should know?

There's a LOT a first-timer to the series should know, and a lot of it probably won't be told to you by the game itself. It would probably be easier to tell you to watch a few videos and then ask some questions than to try to list out everything I think you should know, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyNaLPrk5s

IGN review.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Shot in the dark, but any MH goons planning on getting the 3DS version living in or near Shawnee, Kansas? Trying to get a group together for weekly meets at the Oak Park Mall.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

dvorak posted:

I can't believe they didn't change the font in the 3DS version. Holy poo poo.

It looks a lot better if you turn 3D on, even at the lowest setting it can be without being off entirely.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Unless they showed that in the review I don't think that's the case, and I surely hope it isn't.

Is there anything stopping you from immediately going online or transferring characters between consoles or is that all available when you finish the character creation?

It can't work this way because off-screen play won't even exist at launch.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Speedboat Jones posted:

Don't read too much into the pronunciation, because they didn't say azure correctly either. :colbert:

This. The video is great but the actors weren't familiar with the material before being handed a script.

I always say "wrath-uh-los" and "wrath-ee-en" but I hear a lot of people say "Wraith-uh-los" and "Wraith-ee-en" so I'm not sure which is correct.

While I'm discussing this, I also say "Please-ee-oth" and I often hear "Pless-ee-oth." Verdict?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tri had some bosses that were Online only, no clue if this still applies here. Does anyone know if you can fight Jhen offline and vice versa for Ceadeus?

You can fight Jhen in village quests, or online solo, and you can fight Goldbeard Ceadeus online. I think regular Ceadeus is still village-only.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Please-ee-oth, because I'm assuming it's based off Plesiosaur. The real question, how do you pronounce Ceadeus?

Say-dee-us here.

The Moon Monster posted:

I say wrath-uh-los and wraith-ee-en because I think they sound best that way.

I assume they were named as a pair, given what we know about them, so I'd apply the wrath or wraith suffix to both instead of mixing and matching, myself.

edit: er, prefix. Not suffix. I'm a dolt.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Can you access both Jhen's offline too?

Well you can access anything offline, but if you mean as a village quest, I'm pretty sure only regular Jhen is available that way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I don't know why people always say Monster Hunter doesn't have a story. It doesn't have a GOOD or DEEP story, but there is one. In this case, the offline portion entails you saving the village from the monsters causing earthquakes. Once you're done with that, you head off to the city to reach new heights as a Monster Hunter, a career you've become invested in due to the happenings in the village.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Club Nintendo posted:

By adding your PIN#, you'll earn 0 Coins for your purchase of game.

This made me laugh. I guess you can't register a game right at midnight.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Because lots of people are going to be picking up this game and reading this thread around the next few hours, here's the steps to manipulate the charm tables. This will land you on Table 10. If you don't have a very specific build in mind, this is the best table. If you do, you've probably already looked up the table you want and the time required for it.

quote:

-I started by closing out all software running on my 3DS.
-I toggled off the wifi switch
-I went into settings -> other settings -> set date for 1/21/2012 -> Ok -> Set time -> 00:12 (I was unsure about timing so wanted to give myself lots of time) I hit "Start" on my stop watch at the instant I hit "Okay" for setting the time. I wanted to give myself an extra minute.
-I opened up MH3U as a fresh program from my home screen, it was not running in the background.
-I pressed A to skip the intro movie, and A to advance to the main menu screen
-There are 4 options, New Game, Continue, DLC, Options
-I positioned my cursor on "New Game"
-I waited until my stop watch showed 2:43, then pressed my "A" button with New Game selected
-It then brings you to "Create your character"
-Created my character at a leisurely pace, started game, talked with Elder/etc, went into the house, slept/saved and quit out of the game.
-Entirely closed out of the game from the home screen.
-Went into settings, set my clock/date back to what it should be, turned wifi back on.
-Proceeded up until the guild quest for getting guts (followed the speed guide for suggestions)
-Sent boat out using power paddle and target was Moga Coast
-Put results into the .de calculator
-Confirmed I was on T10 first shot

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Got table 10 first time completely painlessly.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dinotron posted:

What version do you have, Wii U or 3DS? Did you remember to disable wifi? I didn't disable wifi and now I'm worried that I might end up with a different table. :smith:

3DS, and yes I remembered to disable wifi. If you don't disable wifi it's basically like not doing it at all. You could still end up with the table you want but it's pure luck.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is the table site down for anyone else?

Also just did the guts quest. I mentioned last thread I have a crippling fear of video game water enemies so that sure was fun :v:

This game is going to get tough for you very quickly.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Anyone playing on 3DS, here's a tip for you: If you aren't going to be using the 3D, go to the main game menu and choose options from there and turn 3D off. In case you didn't already know, the 3D slider just effects whether the screen displays the 3D effects or not, the game is still rendering them. This is what's causing the text to be so awful and blurry - it's rendering it twice for the 3D effect. If you turn this off in the main menu, everything clears right up and looks much crisper and nicer. Of course, this means you can't play in 3D if that's your thing.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The first load of DLC is up. There's some guild card backgrounds and hunter titles that I'm sure nobody cares about, plus also a quest to slay 20 bullfangos naked in the arena. The quest gives you a ticket that you can use to craft a lance that looks like a gunlance or a gunlance that looks like a trophy. Apparently this was the same as the first downloadable quest for tri? Pretty neat either way.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

fivegears4reverse posted:

There was a part of me that was hoping the text on the 3DS would not be complete rear end like it was in the demo :sigh:

Fun as hell, though I am strongly considering picking it up on the Wii U when that system hits a price drop.

Either play with the 3D turned on (the lowest setting will work to clear up text), or go to the main menu and from there choose options and you can turn the 3D effects off, which makes the whole game look much nicer if you have the slider off most of the time.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Next DLC is coming next tuesday (26th).

Two quests: One to hunt a Giginox and earn a special weapon, and one to hunt a Royal Ludroth, Lagiacrus, and Gobul in the flooded forest.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Rookersh posted:

So.

I own Tri, and a way to play it.

I don't own Ultimate, but by the end of the year, will probably own a 3DS and a CPP, and would happily buy it.

I'm getting into this MH craze going on right now, and really want to start up Tri. But from what I heard, Ultimate is Tri, just several times bigger/better. If I plan to get Ultimate down the road, would it be better to just wait a year? Or are they different enough I could start up Tri now, learn how to play the game, then still enjoy Ultimate a few months from now.

The opening sequence (including cutscenes and missions) is identical to Tri in every way until you kill your first Jaggi. After that it's still almost identical but with some extra monsters thrown in and some quests changed around (that first jaggi is fought in sandy plains, for example). If that's going to bother you, wait. Otherwise, go ahead with it. It'll help you to appreciate the little changes they've made.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is the CPP worth picking up for this game? I'm going to try to get the 3DSXL next week when it's on sale or whatever, but the CPP for it is import only and it's like $35

It's probably worth it, but the game is playable without it. I got used to fighting underwater with no CPP, and so can anyone else.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

I kinda miss all the features from the farm that you got in Freedom Unite, is there a way to upgrade the farm to get all that? I want an explosive mine and beehives!

You'll get a beehive eventually, but no mines.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

OMGzKakaniz posted:

One question, are there any missable items in this one

No, every single item in this game can be obtained multiple times, with the exception of things like the boat upgrades. Nothing is missable.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN1pgUVMjgA

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Nibelsnarf's breaks are his gills, front feet, and uvula if I'm remembering my time from P3rd correctly. His nose takes more damage though. Also he has the best drat weapons, his hunting horn is a harmonica for crying out loud.

I feel better knowing you can't cut his tail. It was driving me crazy trying to get at it for the three seconds at a time it was exposed.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Just checking before I play the game tonight, does it ever tutor you on how to capture monsters?

Yes. You'll have a key quest to capture an Arzuros and the guild lady will explain what to do when you take it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Machai posted:

According to Patrick of GiantBomb, she is not a good enough teacher and you may need to look up a tut on youtube

Yes, but while I love Patrick (and the whole GB crew), let's be honest here: he kind of sucks at video games. I think the tutorial is pretty straightforward. It isn't a very complex task.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

I could swear I got some from the boats or something. Are those useless?

Those aren't rustshards, those are a different item used to make a special armor set.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

New localization notes.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

YorexTheMad posted:

Ok so I'm just barely into the game, just finished the first Urgent Quest where you hunt a pack of Ludoths. Using the starter Iron Hammer and Leather Armor set currently.

When do I start upgrading my armor/weapon, and what should I be looking for to upgrade to? I don't have many options available yet for weapons--just a Bone Hammer with lower durability than what I have--but Armorcraft at least has a bunch of options listed even if I don't have materials yet. Should I just use my starter Armor Spheres to upgrade my Leather Armor, or save them for something meatier?

Save your spheres for later.

Most armor sets will require you to get parts from large monsters. As far as weapons go, make sure you're looking at weapon upgrades, not crafting new ones. I don't know about hammers, but I was able to make a first-tier ludroth lance before fighting my first jaggi.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is the transfer tool up? I'm hoping to play my save on the TV tonight.

Yes.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Two things I figured out that might make life easier:

1) In water, hold B (3DS) and push the thumbstick up or down to move straight up or down without changing the camera angle or using vertical dodges.

2) Super-sized dung can be farmed pretty easily. Wait for the herbivore breeding season, then go in and kill the giant aptonath. Immediately after he's dead, choose "return to village" from the menu, rinse repeat. Because the day only advances when you spend 2 minutes in there, you can keep doing this over and over to respawn it. You'll need something like 5 of them for all the low-rank junior requests, and maybe more later (there's a dung mask that might use it).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

BlueDestiny posted:

Are masks shared across Cha-Cha and Kayamba? I don't have Kayamba yet but my dream is to have both of them with cannon or rathian masks so they can do mad damage while I play hornsongs.

Yes, all masks are shared except the acorn mask and pincer mask (each one's personal mask). However, you can't have them both wearing the same mask for potentially-obvious reasons.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've spent more money on worse, and I like having a physical book on hand anyway. :v: Thanks for the info all, I'll stop by gamestop later.

There is no physical copy, it's a digital guide.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

What's actually better against him, water or ice?

Ice is better than water, but water is good, too. Your other option to gently caress up a rathalos would be dragon damage, but you probably don't have access to that yet.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Cronodoculous posted:

I gave up trying to use the fish chart and tried to find out which table I'm on by matching up the few charms I've gotten with Athena's charm tables. I'm pretty sure I'm not on a bad one now, but I can't find one of my charms listed. It's called a Bishop Talisman and gives +5 Ranger skill and one slot. I can't find "Ranger" listed anywhere though, anyone know what's up with that?

Some of the skill names were changed in the re-translation.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Does something dictate what can be cultivated at your farm and what can't? Finally got a few carpenter bugs but they're not an option at the farm :(

You can't farm anything that is used in weapon and armor crafting/upgrading.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

I can't stand lances. ... Boring! Slow and boring, lances are.

It's fine that you don't like lances but every single word of this is wrong.

ChibiSoma posted:

They're slow,

Lance combos done right can dish out damage way faster than most weapons. They won't be outspeeding dual swords or anything, but they're certainly not slow. YOU are slow while wielding a lance, but if you need to move quickly just sheathe the thing.

ChibiSoma posted:

you've got zero crowd control,

Both attack buttons together swings your lance in an arc in front of you. Boom, crowd control. More effective crowd control than most other weapons, at that.

ChibiSoma posted:

you've got nothing by way of evasive movement.

Sidesteps take some getting used to, but they are better than rolls once you do. You get a comparable amount of invulnerability frames, cover around the same amount of ground, and don't change facing, so you can dodge attacks and continue assaulting the monster without repositioning. Plus on top of that, you've got a huge-rear end shield that can block anything you're not going to be able to dodge around.

Again, if lances just aren't your thing, that's totally fine. I'm never going to be comfortable with a greatsword or a bowgun myself. Just know what's up with something instead of bashing it for flaws it doesn't have.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

I've gotten four Plates from Rathalos. I need one Marrow and I can't get it, but he's just making GBS threads Plates all over the place. Drop rates are stupid. I've done five fights against him today and he simply refuses to give me any Marrow. On the up side, I've got enough other parts to finish out the full set of his drat armor...

I could be wrong on this but my understanding is that rath marrow only comes from capture rewards or tail carves. Also, Rathian has a higher chance to drop it than Rathalos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I'm really curious what's the socially acceptable rules of mining/gathering during a kill/capture quest? Because there's been a boatload of times that a player joins and instead runs away from the monster each time it enters the zone and just spends the entire time mining or fishing. They don't even fight or anything.

I've gotten kicked a few times because I was charging these players towards the monster with my lance to keep them from escaping. One I successfully pinned between a Brachy tail and my weapon and she got stuck there just rolling for a good 30 seconds.

Mining and gathering is acceptable IMO but not to the exclusion of fighting a monster. If you want to run off and mine first and everyone else rushes the monster, that's fine, but get what you need and start fighting. And if the monster enters the area you're mining, you should probably stop and help fight it, at least until it leaves again.

I don't know if this is how everyone else feels, though.

• Locked thread